USGenWeb Logo

Newark Diner

The Landmark Newark Diner, Newark, N.Y.
Photo © 2000-2012 Deb Page-Parker. All Rights Reserved.

PROFILE OF ARCADIA, WAYNE COUNTY, NEW YORK

From the 1860 Gazetteer of the State of New York, by J. H. French


ARCADIA - was formed from Lyons, Feb. 15, 1825. It lies on the S. border of the co., a little W. of the center. Its surface is a rolling region, broken by drift ridged. Mud Creek flows E. of the town, N. of the center, and receives several small streams as tributaries. The soil is a sandy, gravelly loam, mixed with clay on the hills. Gypsum is found in the S. W. , and marl in the center. Newark, (p.v.) including Arcadia, (p.v.) in the S. part, on the canal, was incorp. July 21, 1853, as Newark. It contains 7 churches, a bank, flouring mill, tannery, 3 furnaces, and several manufactories. It is a fluorishing canal village and a station upon the N.Y. C. R. R. Pop. 2,042. Fairville, (p.v.) about 5 mi. No., contains 1 church, a tannery, a limited amount of manufactures, and 159 inhabitants. Marbletown, near the S. E. corner, contains a church and 10 houses. Jessups Corners and Hydeville are hamlets. Settlement was commenced in 1791, by Joseph Winters and B. Franklin. (1) The first church (M.E.) was organized in 1805. Roger Benton was the first settled minister, in 1806. (2) A family named Fox, residing at Hydeville, in Arcadia, first heard the mysterious sounds known as the "rappings" on the night of March 31, 1849. Investigations were made in regard to the origin of the raps, but nothing definite was settled upon. The family soon after removed to Rochester, the "raps" accompanying them; and hence the name "Rochester Rappings". A series of investigations was instituted, and the matter became public, some claiming for it a spiritual origin, but the great majority pronouncing it a humbug or delusion. From this source modern spiritualism originated.




Footnotes:

  1. Gilbert Howell and Paul Reese came in in 1795; Samuel Soverhill in 1798; Humphrey Sherman, Reuben Starks, and John Miller, from Long Island, in 1800; and Ebenezer Smith soon after. The Lusks came in from Columbia co. in 1806. Jacob, Philip, and Isaac Lusk purchased 1 sq. mi., which is now occupied by the village of Newark. Caleb Tibbitts, Stephen Aldridge, Henry Cronice, and Cooper Culver settled in 1807; and Dr. A. Hyde, in 1810. The first death was that of a child of B. Franklin, in 1792; the first marriage, that of ___ Hess and Amy Tibbitts, in 1798. Stephen Aldridge kept the first inn, and J.P. Bartlet the first store.
  2. There are 10 churches in town; 2 Meth. Prot., M.E., Presb., Prot. E., Union, Ref. Prot. D., Bap., R.C., and Christian.



Current Place Names in the Town of Arcadia:

Fairville, Fairville Station, Hydesville, Marbletown, Minsteed, Mud Mills, Newark, Stebbins Corner, Zurich




Arcadia Resources on this site:

1867 Directory of Arcadia

1869-1870 Newark Business Directory

Property Owners of the Town of Arcadia, 1891: added 5/16/12

1900 Newark Village Directory Pt. 1, Surnames A - F

1900 Newark Village Directory Pt. 2, Surnames G - O

1900 Newark Village Directory Pt. 3, Surnames P - Y

1914 Farm Directory of Arcadia

1931 Newark Village Directory

The Town of Arcadia: from "History of Wayne County", Everts, Ensign, & Everts, 1877

Arcadia & Newark, N.Y. Postcard & Photo Album

Wayne County Births - 1849, Part 1 - Arcadia, Butler, Galen, Lyons and Macedon

Wayne County Marriages 1849, Part 2 - Towns of Arcadia, Wolcott, Ontario, Sodus, Marion, Savannah and Lyons

Wayne County Deaths 1849, Part 3 - Arcadia, Marion, Savannah, Walworth, and Williamson

Wayne County Marriages 1848, Part 2 - Towns of Arcadia, Galen, Palmyra, Sodus and Wolcott

Wayne County Deaths 1848, Part 2 - Towns of Arcadia, Butler and Macedon

Wayne County Marriages 1847, Part 1 - Towns of Arcadia, Butler, Galen, Lyons, Macedon, Marion

1874-75 Arcadia Marriage and Death Records

19th Century School Items - photo of old Marbletown Schoolhouse

Autograph Book of Lois Moseley 1837-1838

The Coleman Clippings Part 1 - a collection of newspaper clippings about the Coleman Family and other families of Sodus and Newark

The Coleman Clippings Part 2 - excerpts from the February 14, 1906 Arcadian Weekly Gazette

The Coleman Clippings Part 3 - abstracts of Coleman Family legal documents & society notes

Photo of 1926 Feiock Family Reunion

Photo of 1905 Feiock Family Reunion

1895 History of the Churches of Arcadia

1885 Newark Presbyterian Newsletter

1905 Census Index of the Town of Arcadia Custodial Asylum

1915 Newark High School Publication

1916 Graduating Class of Newark High School

Newark High 1916 Commencement Souvenir

St. Michael RC Church Pew Listings, 1910

1836 Will of David Cary

1880 Will of Warren S. Bartle

The Newark Courier, February 11, 1869

The Newark Courier, October 28 and November 11, 1869

Mystery Photo of People and Oxen Cart

Wayne County Real Estate in 1886

1874 Arcadia Agricultural Society Advertisers

1874 Newark NY Teachers' Convention

1901 Fairville NY Train Wreck

Ayers Family Headstones, Newark Cemetery

Neal Family Headstones, Newark Cemetery

Contributors to 1955 Newark NY Church Cookbook

Contributors to 1911 Newark NY Church Cookbook

Civil War Draftees from Town of Arcadia

Moving the Fox Sisters House in 1916

Scroll down to and click on Cemeteries button at left side of site to view Arcadia and Newark Cemeteries.





Back to Wayne County Townships Page




Created: 9/15/98
Last Revision: 5/16/12
Wayne County NYGenWeb
Copyright © 1998 - 2012 M. Magill/ Allyn Hess Perry
Photo of Newark Diner Copyright © 2000 - 2012 Deb Page-Parker
All Rights Reserved.