The Olde Scrapbook, Part 2

[no date]

Death of Jay M. Adams

The people of this community were greatly surprised and saddened Sunday afternoon to hear of the death of Jay M. Adams, who took his own life by shooting that afternoon. He purchased a revolver at F.S. Wilder's store on Friday, and, with the aid of a mirror, shot himself in the temple, causing instant death. He was found by his little son, aged about 5 years, who was sent to tell his father that his brother-in-law, James Barker, of Ontario, had come to see him. The little fellow went back and whispered to his mother that his father was dead. Mr. Adams had been in poor health during the spring and summer, at times having terrible pains in his head, and became discouraged.

He was the oldest son of Mr. and Mrs. John Adams, being 38 years, 5 months and 26 days old, and was a man of high integrity and esteemed by all who knew him. His act committed Sunday was entirely unexpected and the bereaved relatives have the heartfelt sympathy of all. He leaves, besids his wife and son, his parents, two brothers, Homer (Supervisor of this town) and Myron, and two sisters, Mrs. Anna DeHone and Mrs. Eva Freer, all of whom are residents of this place.

The funeral was held at the late residence Tuesday afternoon at 2 o'clock, Rev. H.B. Mayo preaching the sermon. Burial at Ridge Chapel cemetery.



John Bookout, Jr., a man of about 40 or 45 years old, left his home in Williamson last week Tuesday for parts unknown. He went on the excursion train apparently with the purpose of attending the state fair at Syracuse, where his wife was already on a visit with friends. A day or two after his wife returned home and found him gone. He took his clothes and the balance of his wages, which amounted to $100, with him, leaving his wife in destitute circumstances. She can give no reason for his sudden departure, as they had had no special trouble, and his parents, highly respected citizens of Williamson, are as much in the dark as to the motive for their son's strange action. He was earning good wages, being a painter by trade. - Dem. and Chron.

[no date, possibly 1897]
Tuesday of last week was the twenty-fifth birthday of Mrs. Maude Mitchell, who resides on the Lake farm. That evening more than fifty of her friends gave her a jolly surprise that was a complete success in every sense of the word. The evening was most pleasantly spent and the guests departed with the kindest wishes for the future happiness and health of the one that they had so successfully surprised. Mrs. Mitchell was the recipient of a very handsome bed-room suite and a set of dining room chairs.

[no date]

Death of Mrs. Michael Johnson.

Wednesday afternoon Coroner R. S. Carr of this village was summoned to the residence of Michael Johnson in East Williamson, to investigate the death of Mrs. Johnson who was found dead in the cistern by her husband. The coroner held an inquest, the jury giving a decision that the deceased came to her death by her own act.

The deceased was the second wife of Mr. Johnson, to whom she had been married only about four years, and it is reported that the relations between the two were very unpleasant, owing to the desire of the husband to get possession of his wife's property. Mrs. Johnson is highly spoken of by her neighbors. She was 70 years of age and leaves six children.

[no date, location unknown]


Tried Before Justice Brown This Fore-noon and Decided in Favor of the Defendant.

The Meeker suit for separation was tried before Justice Brown, of the Supreme Court, this forenoon, and was decidied in favor of the defendant. The case was brought by Margetta Meeker, against her husband, John W. Meeker, to secure a separation from him, with alimony, on the grounds of cruel and inhuman treatment and failure to support her. Jonathan Deyo was the attorney for the plaintiff, and Benjamin McClung represented the defendant.

The Meekers lived at 92 Montgomery street, and the defendant is a carpenter. The couple were married in 1867, and have three children, one of whom is a minor. Mrs. Meeker testified that on various occasions her husband had beaten her, that he had stabbed her, threatened her life, thrown water on her, and refused to support her and provide clothing for her. The defence was a general denial of the charges. The defendant claimed that Mrs Meeker had left her home, and that she had not attended to her household duties and had refused to wash for her husband or cook his food. The witnesses for the plaintiff were Mrs. Meeker, Miss Ella Bradley, Mrs. Shay and Mrs. Beattie. Those for the defence were Mr. Meeker, Alderman William H. Hilton, Mrs. Marquette and Mrs. Emeline Palmer. The trial lasted two hours-and-a-half. Justice Brown then decided that there were no grounds established for a separation. It was not proved that the defendant had treated his wife in a cruel and inhuman manner, or that he had failed to support her. The court ruled that he could not control the acts of Mr. Meeker which did not come within the scope of the law. He said that Mrs. Meeker's redress for non-support was really the police court.

[no date]

The school house has been thoroughly repaired by trustees Whiting and Reed and is now in first class condition, the cost to the district being about three hundred dollars, or about fifty dollars less than the original building, which was built in 1854.

The year following the completion of the original building A.F. Ketcham taught the first term (it being in the winter) at $16 per month. The trustees at that time were James Edwards, Bethuel Reed and John W. Messenger.

The first school house erected in this district stood a few rods south of the present building and was built in 1821 by Freeman Axtel, who took the contract for $193, the size of the building being 22 by 28 feet.

On the 19th day of December, 1820, at a meeting held at the house of William Griffith, Daniel Arms, Geo. Sergeant and Timothy Axtell were elected trustees and James Edwards collector. At this meeting the following resolution was passed: "Resolved that we shall raise two hundred and twenty-five dollars for the purpose of building a school house, twenty-five of which shall be in cash, lumber and other materials (exept nails and glass) the remainder to ge paid in meat, stock and grain produce."

With the two hundred and twenty-five dollars they bought the land, erected and furnished the house, built a fence around the yard and had a balance of $6.67 on hand.

Miss Caroline Sergeant, the present efficient teacher, taught the summer school in this district in 1854 for $1.75 per week and board.


Sergeant-Reynolds Wedding

Two Young Sodus People United in Marriage.

The home of Mrs. Linda Reynolds at Wallington was the scene of a very pretty wedding Wednesday afternoon, when Frank J. Sergeant and Miss Belle M. Reynolds were united in marriage at 3:30 o'clock.

The house was crowded with friends when the bridal party entered the room as Mrs. Wesley Grinnell played Mendelssohn's Wedding March. After the positions were taken the ceremony was pronounced by Rev. D.M. Young.

The bride wore nunsveiling and carried white carnations. She was attended by the Misses Grace Reynolds and Nora McMillian.

The ushers were Mr. and Mrs. G.J. Sergeant, Miss Alice Goldring and Walter Cox.

The young couple were showered with presents, which were magnificent and costly.

Mr. and Mrs. Sergeant left on the evening train south bound on the Northern Central with the congratulations and best wishes of a host of friends. They will make a short trip to Lyons, Rochester and Niagara Falls.

The following were the invited guests:

Mr. & Mrs. W.E. Reynolds & Family
Mr. & Mrs. C.D. Lent & Family
Mr. & Mrs. Charles LaRock & Family
Mr. & Mrs. Oscar Sergeant & Family
Mr. & Mrs. W.H. Sergeant & Family
Mr. & Mrs. G.I. Sergeant & Family
Mr. & Mrs. W.H. Mason & Family
Mr. & Mrs. David Harris
Mr. & Mrs. J.M. Boyd
Mr. & Mrs. C.W. Green
Mr. & Mrs. S.D. Reynolds
Mr. & Mrs. C.N. Reynolds
Mr. & Mrs. Eli Reynolds
Mr. & Mrs. Charles Edwards
Mr. & Mrs. J.W. Glover
Mr. & Mrs. George Robinson
Mr. & Mrs. Frank Proseus
Mr. & Mrs. T. McCarty
Mr. & Mrs. John Perduyn
Mr. & Mrs. D.D. Pollock
Mr. & Mrs. A.C. Welch
Mr. & Mrs. James Stebbins
Mr. & Mrs. Samuel Robinson
Mr. & Mrs. A.E. Payne
Mr. & Mrs. Albert Stockand
Mr. & Mrs. George Boughton
Mr. & Mrs. F.H. Matthews
Mr. & Mrs. Wesley Grinnell
Mr. & Mrs. C.M. Tuttle
Mr. & Mrs. W.G. Thirkell
Mr. & Mrs. W.R. Norris
Mr. & Mrs. Robert West
Mr. & Mrs. F.D. Gaylord
Mr. & Mrs. W.O. Teetor
Mr. & Mrs. Albert Dodd
Mr. & Mrs. B. Kitchen
Mr. & Mrs. S.L. Espenscheid
Mr. & Mrs. C.L. Brown
Mr. & Mrs. W.C. Teall
Mrs. C. Stickney and Family
Rev. and Mrs. D.M. Young
Miss Jennie Steegar
MIss Alice Goldring
Mr. Frank Green
Mrs. Greene
Mrs. Palmer
Mrs. O. VanSlyck
Arthur Wilcox
Charles Burns
C.W. Mills
G.R. Mills
Frederick Bridger
Charles Palmer
Mr. & Mrs. H.O. Silver, Fairport
Mr. & Mrs. H.D. Silver, Rochester
Mr. & Mrs. O.C. Silver, Savannah
Mr. & Mrs. O. Hall, Savannah
Mr. & Mrs. F.H. Brightman, Rochester
Mr. & Mrs. Carl Fuller, Williamson
Mr. & Mrs. George Snyder, Carbondale, Kan.
Mr. & Mrs. W.H. Fox, Wolcott
Mr. & Mrs. Fred Eyer, Zurich
Mr. & Mrs. W.H. Dennis, South Sodus
Mr. & Mrs. James Dennis, Zurich
Mr. & Mrs. A.F. Dennis, Zurich
Mr. & Mrs. W.H. Richards, Zurich
Mr. & Mrs. S.D. Richards, Zurich
Mr. & Mrs. Clark Reynolds, Lyons
Mr. & Mrs. J.A. Merchant, Lyons
Mr. & Mrs. Chas. Bernhart, Lyons
Mr. & Mrs. Hosea Burgess, Lyons
Mr. & Mrs. M.W. Lane, Lyons
Mr. & Mrs. S. Hoyt, Fostoria, O.
Mr. & Mrs. S.D. Watson, Bath, Mich.
Mr. & Mrs. W. McRosie, Lyons
Mr. & Mrs. John McMillian, Wayne Centre
Mr. & Mrs. G.H. Pheason, South Sodus
Mr. & Mrs. N.W. Wheeler, Red Creek
Mr. & Mrs. Myron Crum, Red Creek
Mr. & Mrs. Marshall La Due, Port Gibson
Mr. & Mrs. J.G. Foster & Family, South Butler
Mrs. Anna Merchant & Family, Sodus Centre
Miss Frankie Cummings, Detroit, MIh.
Mrs. Sarah Burgess, Lyons
Miss Frankie Lane, Lyons
H.M. Reynolds, Lyons
S.W. Babcox, Lyons
C.O. Brien, Rochester
Miss Brien, Rochester
Frank Fox, Wolcott
Harry Waldorf, Wolcott
Miss Mary McCall, Rochester
W.H. Bridger, Binghamton

[no date]
This afternoon at the residence of Rev. Henry Troop, one mile east of this village, was celebrated the marriage of Miss Maude Belle Troop and Elvin Bret Granger, both of Sodus. The ceremony was pronounced by the father of the bride, Rev. Troop, before the near relatives of the contracting parties. The house was prettily decorated for the occasion and the wedding supper was served after the ceremony. Mr. and Mrs. Granger are both well known young people and are society favorites. Mr. Granger was a member of the class of '98 of Syracuse University and also a member of the Phi Delta Theta fraternity.

We wish to tender to the kind neighbors and friends our grateful thanks for their kindness in the time of our afflection by the death of our mother, Mrs. Elizabeth Storms; to Rev. Troop and Rev. Payne for their comforting words; to those who brought flowers, and to the bearers who bore her to her last resting place.
      Mr. and Mrs. L.F. Tinklepaugh.



Had an Operation Performed - Prospects for Recovery Favorable.

Orin Blackmar, who has been troubled for some time with a liver difficulty, had an operation performed at Dr. Whitbeck's private hospital, Rochester, on Tuesday. Dr. Whitbeck was in town Sunday and in a consultation with Dr. Landon this course was deemed advisable. An abscess was found. The patient is doing as well or better than could be expected and it is hoped that he will recover. His two sons, Abel E. and O.H., are with him.

[no date]
Yesterday (Friday) morning at an early hour, Mrs. S.B. Coleman, wife of S.B. Coleman, proprietor of the Empire Mills at Sodus Center, died at the age of 48 years, at her daughter's home in Newark. Mrs. Coleman came to Newark about two months ago for treatment. Besides the daughter mentioned, Mrs. W.A. Roe, of Newark, a daughter, Ada, aged 10, and a son 21 years of age, survive. Deceased was brought up in Wisconsin, and has been a resident of Sodus Center for the past ten years.

[no date]
The marriage of Miss Jennie Cambier to George R. Borradaile will be solemnized this Wednesday evening, at the residence of the bride's sister, Mrs. George Hall, at 6 o'clock p.m. Rev. Mr. Bulgin will officiate. A long, happy and prosperous life is the best wish of

[no date; from the Sodus paper but is this of local relevance? At the time of this article there was a notorious area in New York City referred to as "Five Points".]

Fight in Corkedale's Row.

That pack of two-legged live stock known as the McDermotts had a field day on Thursday. The fight commenced at 1 o'clock and continued until seven in the evening. It was the greatest female "scrap" ever known in Corkedale's row, a bunch of tenements at the Five Points. Men also took a hand in the fight, and a bartender gave a woman a knock-out blow when it became necessary to do so. Three or four fallen women of the lowest order were in the row. The trouble is said to have originated from the presence of a Pokeepsie woman, who was receiving considerable attention from the male visitors who steadily call at the ranch in large numbers. All sorts of domestic implements were used in the riot. One woman had all the beer she wanted for once, a couple of quarts being thrown in her face. George Rich was mixed up in the row. He is a menace to the peace of the neighborhood. The people of the locality say that a policeman wasn't seen in six hours. Property owners say that the inhabitants of these tenements, especially the McDermotts, have ruined valuations on upper Renwick street and Bridge street.

[no date]
Frank Sarvis, U.S. Navy, son of Captain James H. Sarvis, has been at the home of his father in this city for about a week, on sick leave. Young Sarvis is now a second lieutenant in the U.S. Marine Corps, having been promoted from a sergeant of marines, for meritorious conduct last Summer, when he with others landed at Guantanamo Bay from the Panther.

[no date, from same clipping]
Dr. J.A. Sprague has been taken to the City Hospital as a last resort. Dr. H.T. Williams, of Rochester, was called here to see him, and said there was a small chance of recovery, if he could be treated at the hospital.

The marriage of Miss Carrie Rogers, daughter of Mrs. Lydia Rogers, of this place, and George Wignall, of Walworth, took place at the home of the bride's mother, Wednesday. They will reside on Mr. Wignall's farm in Walworth.

[no date]
Samuel Buell, a well known resident of Lyons, was found dead lying upon the floor of his bed room Monday morning. Mr. Buell was keeping house alone. His wife, of late, has made her home at Newark with the family of her brother, S.B. Van Duser. Deceased returned from a visit at Newark Sunday evening. He was born at Cortland eighty years ago. When a young man he removed to Lyons with his brother, the late John Buell, and for many years was engaged in the insurance business. Deceased is survived by his wife and one daughter, Mrs. James P. Smith, of Newark.

[no date]
The term of "Tony" Sarvis at Sing Sing prison, including the time on his former term he will have to serve out, will expire on Jan. 5th, 1905.

[no date]
Hubbard W. Pultney, one of the oldest business men of Lyons, died Monday evening, of consumption. He was 77 years of age, and is survived by a widow and three sons, Edward, Cassius and George, all of Lyons. The funeral was held at the residence, Thursday afternoon, Rev. M.S. Wells officiating. Mr. Pultney was born in Hampshire county, Mass. He came to Lyons in 1840, and established the wire cloth industry. He had been engaged in the manufacture of fanning mills, and had had branch offices in Amsterdam, Hudson, Poughkeepsie and Nyack, Williamsport and Northumberland, Pa., and Washington, N.J. In 1872 he erected the Pultney block. He married Clara A. Wilds, of Litchfield, Conn. He had held many local offices.


S.H. Norris

Samuel H. Norris was born in Sodus, Wayne Co., N.Y., Aug. 11, 1821, on his father's homestead where he has spent his entire life, and from whence he passed to the spirit world, Dec. 11, 1894.

He was married Dec. 12, 1850, to Arvilla Shirtz, who, with their only child, W.R. Norris, of Sodus, now mourn his loss.

He was converted about the year 1860, and at once united with the M.E. Church, which also mourns his loss. During most of those years he held one or more of the highest offices of the Church, and always with great acceptability. He was Sunday School superintendent 12 or 15 years, and was made Class Leader about 25 years ago, continuing in that office until failing health forbade.

The writer became his Pastor in 1868, and from that time to his last visit, two years since, has always found what all others who have visited that home have found, a warm welcome and a plate or two extra on the always spread table. Referring once to the extra plate, he said "I told Mrs. Norris when she sat our table for the first time, to put on an extra plate, and there would be some one to use it; and sure enough there was. The plate has never been wanting since, and has seldom been unused." "And thank the Lord." I replied, "There has always been enough to satisfy the hungry."

Brother Norris was a man of good, sound common sense, capable of filling any position for which he was needed. He was retiring in disposition, gentle in spirit, faithful to his principles, firm when he was convinced, yielding where principle was not concerned. He has lived a pure, true, quiet, successful life, and of his future, into which he entered triumphantly, no one who knew him well will ever have any question. His memory will be cherished with joyful grief by the loved ones he leaves with us here. May his mantle rest upon his son, God's blessing upon the son and his mother.
      M.S. Leete

[no date]

A Pleasant Occasion.

"Faith, Hope and Charity, but the greatest of these is Charity."

Mrs. C.C. Hudson gave a "Charity Tea" Saturday afternoon to a few friends, that will long be remembered with pleasure and profit.

Without by-laws, creeds or constitution, they have banded themselves together to sympathize and aid each other through all the trials and vicissitudes of life.

May every thought for the well-being of the others be as sweet, fragrant, bright and beautiful as the little pink souvenir we have assumed, emblematic of our sisterly affection for one another, and as necessity may require and as we cover each one with our pink robe of charity and love, we trust as the years come and go it may unfold into a mantle so ample it will envelope all humanity.

In our joy and gratitude we would tender to the little lady from Rochester (Mrs. O.J. Tassell) a vote of thanks for the inspiration of the first thought.

It is not "Cursed be he from whom the offence cometh," but blessed be she from whom the glorious light of love was reflected.

Mrs. John H. Teats
Mrs. Harriet Tassell
Mrs. F.R. Mate
Mrs. D.D. Warne
Mrs. J.W. Bennett
Mrs. Mattie Hoagland
Mrs. Geo. F. Cheetham
Mrs. F.W. Tassell
Mrs. C.B. Hoagland
Mrs. P.R. Fairbanks
Mrs. C.C. Hudson

[no date but obit of Capt. John A. Laing says she preceeded him in death by 2 years; John A. Laing, d. 1897, buried in Ridge Chapel Cemetery (Williamson)]

LAING. - In Williamson, Feb. 27, Mrs. J.A. Laing, aged 68 years.

[no date]


T.G. Ashmead will move into Miss Sarah Brown's house on W. Main St.

Geo. Nye will live in the house now occupied by John DuBurck (who will move to Sodus) until his own house is ready to live in.

G. Durfee Young will move into Mrs. I.C. Elve's house.

Abe Smith will live on Railroad Ave. in Mr. Kelsey's house, and Oscar Warren will live in the rooms made vacant by Mr. Smith.

Mr. Lewis will occupy the rooms over the drug store.

A.A. Brockhouse will live in Chester Tufts' house, and H.J. Bradley will move into the house occupied at present by Mr. Brockhouse.

W.S. Calhoun has moved into the house on Railroad Ave. vacated by Oscar Nash.

Orrin Cole will move into the house occupied by Capt. Fish and the Capt. will board with him.

[no date, but Ridge Chapel Cemetery (Town of Williamson) list shows he d. 1896]

Death of Charles Trimble.

Charles Trimble, a prominent citizen of this town died at his home on Saturday, Dec. 5th from softening of the brain after a long illness.

He was born in Curly, county of Down, Ireland, March 5th, 1825 and came to Ontario in 1850 where he was married to Mrs. Mary Mason Gibbs, Dec. 20th. She only lived eight years after their marriage, and August 19th, 1868, he was married the second time to Rosetta Chase who survives him. His home has been on the ridge road west of this village for the past thirty eight years. He has always been held in high esteem in the community and neighborhood where he resided and was a successful farmer.

Besides his wife he is survived by four children, Mrs. Adelia Adams by his first wife, Mrs. Inez Barker, Ivan and Verne by his second. He also leaves three brothers and two sisters, William, John and Walter of Ontario, Mrs. Jane Spear of Williamstown, Mich. and Mrs. Margaret Britton of Pomona, Cal.

The funeral was held at the late residence, Wednesday afternoon at 1 o'clock, Rev. W.L. Page of Rochester officiating. Interment in Ridge Chapel cemetery.

The family have the sympathy of all in their bereavement.

[no date]
A telegram last night from Little Falls announced the death of Dr. Harry H. Ostrum of Alton, one of our most high esteemed citizens.

[no date]


Rev. Cordello Herrick Succeeds Rev. Horatio Yates.

Mr. Yates Goes to Sodus and Will be Much Missed in Auburn - His Successor is a Bright Young Man From Wayne County.

AUBURN, Oct. 22 - Rev. Horatio Yates, who for the past nine years has been the chaplain of Auburn prison, relinquished his duties at that institution Wednesday and Rev. Cordello Herrick, recently pastor of the M.E. Church at Savannah, Wayne county, was immediately sworn in as his successor. This change was made rather unexpectedly. In fact it was carried out so quickly that only a chosen few knew what was going on. A rather sensational story is afloat to the effect that Chaplain Yates was using his influence to head off former Chaplain Searls. Mr. Searls was and is still a Republican and nine years ago next month Mr. Yates, who is a Democrat, was appointed to succeed him. [long article; omitting the political discussion] ...Mr. Yates entered upon his duties as chaplain at Auburn prison on December 1, 1888, coming to the prison from the pastorate of the M.E. Church at Tyres, Seneca county. ... Mr. Herrick was ordained at Oneida 10 years ago. He has successfully filled the pastorates at Locke, Union Springs, Hopewell and Savannah...


Card of Thanks

Mr. Editor: I would beg leave to express, through the medium of your valued paper, my heartfelt gratitude for the extreme kindness and consideration extended towards me, in my affliction, by friends and citizens of this place; and particularly do I wish to acknowledge my unbounded indebtedness to the Pultneyville Lodge of F. & A.M. and their visiting brethren; also to members of Hance Post, G.A.R. and their visiting comrades; and to the ladies of the W.R.C., for their highly appreciated tributes of consideration and respect to my deceased father, as they honored his memory by the impressive ceremonies of their order when the last rites were performed which consigned him to his final resting place.

[no date; John A. Laing, d. 1897, buried in Ridge Chapel Cemetery (Williamson)]

Death of Capt. John A. Laing

Capt. John A. Laing died at his residence in this village Saturday, Jan. 15th, after a long and painful illness from cancer, at the age of 81 years, 6 mos. and 10 das. His death removes from our midst one who for the past twenty-five years has been a prominent citizen of our community, and who received the respect and honor of all who made his acquaintance.

He was born in the town of Boston, Erie Co., July 5th, 1816, and received his education in the common schools and at Waterloo Academy. He was a painter by trade, devoting most of his time to ornamental work on carriages. The early part of his active life was passed in Marion where he made many friends and was highly esteemed.

In 1859 he was a Member of Assembly from this county and represented his district with credit, being a ready speaker and a good debater. When the war broke out he took the platform and spoke for his country and urged men to join the army. After a few months he entered the army as a Lieutenant in Co. E, 111th N.Y. Vols., and was a faithful soldier having the confidence of his men. He was afterward promoted to the rank of Captain, and while commanding his regiment was severely wounded and was given up by the surgeons to die, but a good constitution and a determined resolution to live carried him through and he returned home, though he never fully recovered from his wounds.

The Captain always took an active part in political matters, and was often at conventions and public meetings where his voice was heard in the deliberations. He was a Republican from the organization of that party until the day of his death. For sixteen years he was Justice of the Peace in this town, being compelled by age and infirmity to retire to private life. Until within a few weeks past he has been seen on our streets nearly every day, and everyone was always glad to see him and receive his cordial smile and cheery greeting.

Since the death of Mrs. Laing, two years ago, he has been cared for by his daughter, Mrs. C.C. Hudson. He leaves, besides his daughter, one son, Charles, of Fort Dodge, Kansas.

The funeral was held on Tuesday afternoon, at 2 o'clock, at the Presbyterian church, being conducted by (cut off).

[no date]
Orrin Blackmar, one of the oldest business men of Newark, died the private hospital of Dr. J.W. Whitbeck, in Rochester, Saturday at 2 o'clock p.m. He was one of the firm of Blackmar and Allerton, produce dealers.

[no date; advertisement]
E.A. DeZutter
Dealer in
Anything and Everything
If You Don't See It, Call For It.
I Have It, Or Will Get It For You.
Forestine Medicines in the Lead.
The best, cheapest and most for the money of any in the State. Try it.

Williamson, N.Y.
We Sell and Guarantee.

[no date, but 1899]


For the 1st quarter of 1899. The following sums have been paid out for the support of the poor of Williamson since Jan. 1st, 1899.

Oliver White - $8.50
Serfine Dennis - $17.11
Mrs. DeYoung - $20.04
Mrs. John Bookout - $4.80
Thomas West - $6.90
Wm. Britton - $11.02
Mrs. Westfall - $4.70
Myron Friday - $12.00
Charles Lovejoy - $ 3.37
Harry Ameele - $3.37
Mrs. J. Cooney - $19.00
J. VerHow's Children - $34.15

      Peter A. VanLare
         Overseer of Poor

[no date]
Mr. and Mrs. Daniel Sarvis of Newark are spending the week at S.W. Brundage's.

[no date; possibly 1895]


He Has Been Corralled After a Long Search.


About Three Years Ago He Was Accused of Crime and For That Long Period He Has Been a Fugitive - Cady Swindled the Singer Sewing Machine to the Tune of Over $4,000, and Now He Must Pay the Penalty.

Elias H. Cady, a formerly well-known and highly respected resident of Wayne county, who has been wanted at Lyons, N.Y., for nearly three years upon two indictments, charging forgery in the second degree, has been captured. Cady is a son of Elias Cady, a well-known and highly respected farmer residing in the town of Butler, Wayne county. He is about thirty-eight years of age, is married and has a wife and two children. For some time prior to December 1891, Cady had been an agent of the Singer Manufacturing Company, traveling and selling sewing machines throughout Wayne and Cayuga counties and particularly through the northern tier of Wayne county towns. Just before Cady's abrupt departure about three years ago the story leaked out that he had been swindling the Singer company out of about $4,000 upon leases which had been declared to be forgeries by the parties whose names purported to be attached to them.

In February, 1892, the grand jury of Wayne county found four indictments against Elias H. Cady, founded upon facts presented to them by Luther A. Smith, a well-known farmer living in the town of Galen, near the village of Marengo, and one A. Fancher. Two indictments were for forgery in the second degree, charging that Cady had on June 5, 1891, forged the signature of Luther A. Smith to a lease for a sewing machine, the lease purporting to show that Mr. Smith had traded a Howe sewing machine to Cady for a Singer machine and had agreed to pay $85 in cash balance, hereafter, in stipulated installments. Two more indictments were found at the same time against Elias H. Cady, charging him with grand larceny in the second degree, committed in the town of Wolcott on June 5, 1891, at which time it was alleged that he had defrauded the Singer Manufacturing company out of $50. Both of these grand larceny indictments were found upon the testimony of Luther A. Smith and A. Fancher. From Mr. Smith's story it appears that Cady had induced him to purchase a new Singer sewing machine for which Mr. Smith paid $85 in cold cash. Cady is alleged to have pocketed the $85, forged Mr. Smith's signature to an installment lease, and had forwarded the same to the home office of the Singer Manufacturing company, where the lease lay until time ame for the first installment of money. Cady had departed prior to that time, however.

After Cady skipped out an expert accountant was sent up from the head office of the Singer Manufacturing company to trace up seemingly irregular deals. The expert alleged that he discovered instances of transactions similar to that of the Luther A. Smith deal, involving a host of parties in Wayne and Cayuga counties, whereby the expert claimed that the Singer Manufacturing company had been defrauded out of upwards of $4,000. It was Cady's plan of operation to sell a farmer a sewing machine for cash, then he would make out a lease, forge the farmer's signature to it, the lease containing provisions that required regular monthly payments. The names of the farmers would be put down right, but they would be locatd in other towns from where they resided. At last the flood of bogus leases issued got too large to be met, the company wrote to the parties demanding payment upon their leases, the letters laid in the post-office at the towns where the alleged lease makers lived until the thirty days were up, then they were returned to the company again. Ever sinc Sheriff Ford came into office he has worked arduously in his endeavor to find Cady. He has followed out many clues and cleverly brought his efforts to a successful consummation. Cady has not staid long in any one place since he left Lyons and it is said he has worked (missing words) west. Cady was (missing words) Ford in Lima, O.

[no date]

Special Announcement.

To my Friends and Patrons. - I desire to call your attention to the fact that, despite the tide of adversity that has been against me during the past year, I am still in business, and propose to carry on the same until I have liquidated every dollar of debt now standing against me. Inexperience and unwise business methods, together with a dull business season, made it impossible for me to meet my liabilities, hence my failure. Thanking the public for past favors, and soliciting a continuance of the same in the future, I am
      Very Respectfully,
      Wellington H. Fisher
Manager of Fisher Furniture and Undertaking Company.


HEDGES - In this city, on Wednesday evening, August 24th, 1898, Azuba, widow of the late Jonathan Hedges.

Funeral services at the residence of her son, Charles D. Hedges, 34 Washington Place, on Saturday afternoon at 3 o'clock. Relatives and friends are invited to attend.

Interment at Woodlawn Cemetery.

[no date]


The New Woman or The Spirit of the Age at Sodus Opera House on Friday night last was a success from every standpoint.

The extreme heat of the day kept many away. But at 8:30 when the curtain was rung up, there were about two hundred and fifty in the reserved seats. An appreciative audience, however, if small.

Mrs. Smith Ordway as Judge Wigfall, was grand in her conception of the dignity and majesty of a Judge, and the decisive letter of the law. She spoke clearly and distinctly. Her judicial robes were well displayed and her scorn of mankind in general was extremely well-rendered.

Mrs. Arthur Barber was intensely interesting as the female tax collector. She figured and argued well, but proposed better. The temping bait of one hundred thousand dollars she held out as an inducement to Mr. Carberry to marry, and spend on a wedding tour, was flatly and furiously declined.

Miss Eda Pulver as Victorine, the Judge's daughter, portrayed a very sweet, lovable, kissable Miss. She cried well, sang better, and made an offer of marriage in the dizziest manner possible. She was, as her Mama Judge declared, "too lazy for law- too giddy for church- and far too pretty for a family doctor." So she must either "get married or be sent to Congress."

Miss Carrie Young must have had hours of practice, to give such a passionate, feminine, declarative rendition of the New Woman, as Wolverine Wigfall, the Judge's Husband's sister. She launched out clear, full, free. She was just what an ardent supporter of women's rights should be - a thorough-up-to-date woman of the new emancipation. In the duel scene she shows how fearless women can grow of pistols, and how determined even in the face of death. Her speech before the female legislature at Albany was teeming with wit and brilliancy.

Miss Minnie Grannis looked pretty and tempting as the maid who took care of the little Judge Wigfall.

Judge Wigfall's Husband was presented by C.W. Mills.

Gaylord D. Hulett was the returned "Chinese Tea Merchant", spoke as became one in his predicament, when two women proposed and both claimed his hand. It was a warm situation. "Extreme youth, inexperience, poor health, and so soon," were all in vain. But "sending to Paris for his trousseau, and a proper church-wedding" turned the scales. He married Victorine, as old batchelors always select the young, charming and tender.

The interruption of George Knapp, and Charles Young produced much merriment. Selling home papers came natural to them.

Mrs. S.D. Hillman is to be congratulated on the success of the comedy. She has superintended its production before, and manyof its attractive features were from tints of her own past experience.

It netted the church about $40.00.

[no date]
The marriage of Miss Mary A. Richards, daughter of S.S. Richards of Newark, and Dr. L. Stone Kelley, of Farmer City, Ills., formerly of Newark and the son of E.R. Kelley, was solemnized at the home of the bride's sister, Mrs. L. C. Sanford in Chicago. Only a few intimate friends were present. The newly married couple will make their home at Farmer City where the doctor has a lucrative practice. The many Newark friends of the bride and groom extend heartiest congratulations. The former at one time was a popular teacher in the Newark school.

[no date, no location, long jury recess]
Howard C. Benham was pronounced guilty of murder in the first degree by the jury after it had been out 21 years.

[no date, four articles on same clipping; Jerry Collins became a law enforement legend during his long tenure as Wayne County Sheriff.]

Judgments for $6,669.07 Taken Against W.T. Gaylord.

His Place of Business Closed by the Sheriff.

Has Been Merchant at Sodus for Nearly Half a Century.


Lyons, July 17. - At a late hour last night Deputy Sheriff Jerry Collins seized the property of Willis T. Gaylord, a well known Sodus merchant upon executions amounting to $6,669.07. The judgments were docketed just before noon by Attorney Myric M. Kelly who had charge of the interests of four of the leading Sodus creditors. Suits were quietly commenced in the Supreme Court of Wayne County about three weeks ago against Mr. Gaylord and as matters had so shaped themselves that it was impossible for settlement to be made, judgment was taken by default. The judgments were as follows: $4,752.89 in favor of Charles D. Gaylord, a brother who is a banker at Sodus; $1,095.07 in favor of Eugene Grandin of Sodus, a laboring man whose money Mr. Gaylord had upon a promissory note; $436.99 in favor of Dan P. Bates, a Sodus farmer, upon note; $374.12 in favor of William Fisher of Sodus, a clerk. Mr. Gaylord belongs to one of the older and most wealthy of Sodus' families. Since 1851 Mr. Gaylord has been engaged in business in Sodus, conducting a general store with a large trade, also trafficing heavily in dried, evaporated and green fruit and produce. About five years ago Mr. Gaylord suffered a severe stroke of paralysis which has partially incapacitated him to leave the details chiefly in the hands of others. The amount of liabilities are variously estimated at from $10,000 to $25,000, but nothing can be learned accurately. The assets available for payment of debts will not exceed, it is said, $6,500 and may be less.

[no date]
A notice of pendency of action with summons and complaint was filed in the County Clerk's office yesterday by J.L. Thistlethwaite of Rochester in an action entitled Presson Peer v. Amos H. Skellenger, Diantha Skellenger and Frank L. Skellenger. The action is brought for the purpose of having certain deeds to property in Marion set aside on the ground of fraud, the transfers having been made, as is alleged, with the intent of defrauding creditors. It appears from the papers filed that November 15, 1895, John S. Rich reovered judgment against Amos H. Skellenger for $2,610.70 damages and costs upon a promissory note. Execution was issued January 19, 1896, and returned unsatisfied February 4, 1896. It is alleged that on April 1, 1896, Amos H. Skellenger was possessed of valuable real estate in Marion which on that date he transferred to Frank L. Skellengr with intent and for the purpose of thereby hindering, delaying and defrauding creditors and particularly the plaintiff, who became owner of the judgment by assignment. This deed was recorded January 15, 1895, and February 16, 1895, Frank J. Skellenger conveyed the property to Dianthia Skellenger; that July 1, 1889, Barton P. Peer and Lorain Peer, his wife, conveyed to Dianthia Peer for $200 a lot in Williamson, conditioned that a valuable residence be erected thereon. This deed was recorded September 26, 1890, since which time, it is alleged, that Amos H. Skellenger has built a valuable residence upon the property, putting money which belonged to creditors into the house and property; that January 16, 1895, Amos H. Skellenger and Dianthia Skellenger, his wife, conveyed to Barton Peer a valuable farm of 76 acres in Marion which was almost immediately deeded back by Barton Peer and wife to Dianthia Skellenger who now owns same. The plaintiff asks that Dianthia Skellenger be required to deed back these properties to her husband, Amos H. Skellenger, so that the claims of creditors may be satisfied or that she deed to such person as the Court may appoint as receiver in order that the claims of creditors may be satisfied.

{no date]
The Wayne County Medical Society has decided upon holding a banquet and picnic at Sodus Point in August. President Dr. J. Franklin Myers has been appointed as a committee of one to see to the making of proper arrangements for the picnic.

[no date]
Property owners on Ditton Street have made appliction to the Village Board to have a water main laid through that street connecting the mains on Phelps Street with the Catharine Street main. It is highly probable that the extension will be made and the location of hydrants so changed that a fire hydrant will be placed on Ditton Street.

Continue to Part 3

Back to Historical Articles Section

Back to Families and Bios Section

Created: 9/16/01
Copyright © 2001 - 2011 M. Magill/ Allyn Hess Perry/ Marge Sherman Lutzvick
All Rights Reserved.