PAGES 30 - 37

Source: Historical Souvenir Series No. 20
Wolcott, N.Y. and Vicinity
Copyrighted June 1905, "Grip," 109 Corning Ave., Syracuse, N.Y.

Reminiscences Describing the Old Mills and Olmstead's Distillery; also the Gulfs that Cut Across Two Main Streets; The Bursting of Cannon in a Crowd; White's Hotel; the Swimming Hole.

John W. Olmstead, an old resident, was born in Wolcott July 25, 1824. "Jesse Olmstead, my father," he said, "had a saw mill and distillery, the first distillery in the town, and it stood on the creek southeast of the village, one-half mile from New Hartford street on a road leading hence to the mill. I have seen the old mud sills of the dam there in the stream in recent years. Farmers brought in their grain, a bushel or half a bushel at a time and took home a jug of whiskey. There was a big copper kettle for mash and a stone arch to set it in. During cold weather my father would run through the distillery twelve bushels of grain a day. His father, Roger Olmstead, came from New Hartford, Ct., in 1810, in company with several others, including the Matthews, Merrills, Saxtons and Moores. Jesse was then 14 years old. Both grist and saw mills down the stream in the village were running when the distillery was built and furnished the lumber for building it. Logs were laid across the stream above the falls and teams crossed over what is now the mill pond, then a shallow, fordable stream. A hollow log conducted the water to the wheel in the mill. I remember well seeing the old log house on the left side of Mill street which was put up to house the men engaged by Melvin in building his mills.


"Supplies were then brought into this section by ox teams in the winter, as the streams in the summer were not easily fordable.

"My father sold his distillery to his brother in the spring of 1835 and moved down to the old furnace village where my uncle Uriah Seymour was then a partner in the blast furnace. A few years later he returned to the village of Wolcott and lived here. His brother moved the distillery apparatus over to Red Creek.

"I recollect the old mill standing on the site of the Rumsay mill and I remember when a boy seeing what was left of the old blast furnace in the gulf. It had been abandoned and the business taken down to Furnace Village. The ore there proved worthless. It was too full of salt and they didn't know how to flux it. So they were compelled to look farther until they found a bed of good ore over near Red Creek. Uriah Seymour and Levi Hendrick when they ran the blast furnace, each put up a nice brick dwelling at Furnace Village for his family. Seymour sold out to Isaac Leavenworth and went to Canada to run a blast furnace.


"The first store that appears in my memory was Underhill's, on the northeast corner of Main and Mill streets. He afterwards moved further up Main street. I can see the old log pump in the porch of the old Wolcott house and the horse shed that stood across the street, on the present site of Lyttle & Turpenning's store. Near the hotel were a shoemaker's shop and a cooper shop, each a story and a half high.

"Where the Northup & Johnson block stands the gulf entered Main street from the north cutting across the street where the stream flowing through it was spanned by an old wooden bridge. South of Main street this gulf formed a junction with a gulf which crossed New Hartford street about where Sax's livery stable now stands, and in New Hartford street a bridge also spanned the stream in the bottom of the gulf.


"Where the Arcade building was erected on Main street the sidewalk stood up in the air 12 or 15 feet and was protected by a railing. About opposite that point, two ladies in a buggy were dumped from the road down into the gulf and their escape from death was miraculous. One of them held her infant in her arms, and a little girl also was in the wagon. The horse backed them off the embankment. They were found in the bottom of the heap. The babe was protected from injury in its mother's arms. The mother was bruised about the head. The wagon in some way fell so as to prevent the little girl from being injured.

"When I was 9 or 10 years old Tompkins put up a story and a half building for his dry goods store.

"Between Tompkins' and the hotel Baldwin & Gilbert next erected a two story building and Deacon Lazalere had a harness shop up stairs. Baldwin & Gilbert manufactured and sold wool and fur hats and caps. Then, next between Tompkins store and the hat and cap store, one named Low built a long frame building for a shoe shop which stood a number of years.


"I remember the bursting of two cannon in this village on a fourth of July occasion. I was marshal of the parade on that day and was riding by the Presbyterian church (the old frame structure near the arcade) when one of the cannon exploded, and a piece sailed over my head into the crowd in front of the church. It struck an old pump and drove it down into the well, first landing upon a scaffold - the building was then being erected - and falling on to the pump. No one in the crowd was hit. The cannon stood in the road pointing into the gulf. Later in the day they fired another cannon up on the green and that exploded. A piece went through the Baptist church over the pulpit. Another piece struck the legs of Leavenworth's horse glancing so as to injure them severely though not to cut them in two. Another splinter grazed a man's throat cutting a small gash and he ran into the street crying 'My throat is cut.' He bled like a stuck hog but it proved to be more of a fright than an injury.

"My father and I ran the old White Hotel five years. We bought it from Mr. Merrill. We sold out to a woman named Beach. Millington, was one of the builders of the Hotel and he and his partner, whose name I have forgotten, ran it for a time. It was built about seventy years ago. I ran the stage line from here to Rochester about fifty years ago. I had it for two years prior to the opening of the railroad through Clyde. When that was built I sold out. The line was run three or four years after that but did not pay, as the railroad took the business.

"Down the creek forty to sixty rods below the site of the old blast furnace was a fulling mill where they made rolls of cloth for the country around here. I went there when a boy to get rolls made from the wool my folks left there. The creek was dammed at that point which, sheltered by the trees, made a famous swimming hole, where us boys spent many pleasant hours. This fulling mill was moved up to the site of what was afterwards the lower grist mill that is now abandoned.

First Grand Jurors Empaneled in Wayne County.--John Adams, Abner F. Lakey, Wm. D. Wiley, John Barber, Jr., Lemuel Spear, David Warner, Ephraim Green, Wm. Voorhees, James Mason, Abel Wyman, David Russell, Cephas Moody, Stephen Sherman, Wm. Wilson, Wm. Plank, Alexander Beard, Jacob Butterfield, Daniel Chapman, Jeremiah H. Pierce, Freeman Rogers, Newell Taft, Pliney Foster and Joseph Lane.

Peru County - An agitation for the erection of the county to be called Peru was started at a special meeting held June 11, 1814 and was then abandoned. The proposition was to include in the new county the towns of Wolcott, Galen, Savannah, Sterling, now in Cayuga county, Cato and Hannibal now in Oswego county and Lysander, now in Onondaga county.

Gardner H. Northup, president of the Board of Trade of Wolcott, a large buyer and shipper of fruit and an extensive lumber dealer, has been a resident and active business man in Wolcott since 1872. And Wolcott, as well as Mr. Northup, has profited through his coming here, for while he like all other successful business men has been accumulating property, the village has been acquiring new industries that distribute considerable sums of money to its merchants and for labor, because it was inspired to seek new enterprises through the efforts of Mr. Northup. To promote the public welfare in Wolcott, as in any other place, requires a leader - a man who can give the time to it and in whose judgement the community has confidence. It seems to be a pleasure to Mr. Northup to do this. No history of Wolcott could explain how the village came to have a canning factory, a creamery, a pickle factory and a National Bank without reference to the part Mr. Northup has taken in getting them here. Desiring to see the village grow in wealth and population and realizing that such could be accomplished only through the united action of the business men, Mr. Northup accepted the presidency of the Board of Trade and has given the duties of that position close attention. His aim and habits are constructive and his disposition is to help others. He has established new business for himself and has erected business blocks and residences besides otherwise investing prudently in safe enterprises that have greatly increased the volume of money circulated in Wolcott and the surrounding country.

Mr. Northup was born in Phoenix, Oswego Co., N. Y., 52 or 53 years ago, the son of Gardner H. Northup whose family was one of those that settled in that section at an early day. Mr. Northup, senior, was one of the proprietors of the earliest large saw mill on the west side of the river, for some years, in company with John Wall. He was a prominent business man and member of the Congregational church of that village, and through his marriage and his business relations he was closely connected with the influential and wealthy Phoenix families of over a half century ago.

About the time his son, Gardner H. Northup, the subject of this sketch, attained his majority there was preaching in the Congregational church at Phoenix a clergyman of high standing, the Rev. Edgar Perkins. His two daughters today preside over two fine homes in Wolcott. They are Mrs. Gardner H. Northup and Mrs. Charles Thomas. Young Northup having come to Wolcott in the fall of 1872 and started in business here, returned to Phoenix the following year, and on October 1, 1873 married Marion P. Perkins. They have on daughter, Ruth. Their home on Main street is one of the prettiest in the village - the old Leavenworth homestead which Mr. Northup has improved at considerable expense.

Mr. Northup on coming to Wolcott established a lumber business on the west side of Lake avenue, near the subway, and erected the house which is now E. H. Reed's residence. Subsequently he bought the lumber yard of Cornwell & Strait where since then he has carried on the business. On January 1, 1899, he took into partnership Clayton Johnson, the firm now being known as the G. H. Northup Lumber Co. At one time Mr. Northup was engaged in the wholesale of lumber and shingles with F. A. Prevost. Nearly a quarter of a century ago he established a lumber business at Sodus where for six years he was a partner with the Rev. Edgar Perkins. At Cato he also started the same business and was there a partner of C. S. Morrill to whom he sold out the yard at that place.

About 1886 Fletcher S. Johnson became Mr. Northup's partner in handling fruit and together they made a marked success, becoming, during the time they were together, the most widely known firm in that line in the state. [See F. S. Johnson's sketch.] They operated a number of evaporators and were in fact the pioneers engaged in handling evaporated fruit, especially apples, to any considerable extent. At one time they handled green as well as evaporated apples and their business was second to none other of the kind in New York. In 1890 they erected the large warehouse where Mr. Northup still continues the fruit business. The big steel front business block occupied by Thacker Bros. & Co., and Mrs. Knapp, the milliner, was erected by them about ten years ago.

Mr. Northup individually constructed other business blocks, notably the Arcade Block. He is a director in the First National Bank of Wolcott. Among those who rendered the most valuable assistance in securing the new postoffice was Mr. Northup.

A trustee and elder in the Presbyterian church society he is one of its most active supporters, and had much to do with securing the erection of the new building for that society. He is well informed, and has traveled considerably.

Reminiscences of Stage Coach Days in the '40's; Perils of the Drivers: Incidents of the Old White Hotel:-

Amos Nash, an old driver on the Butterfield stage line, is now seventy-eight years old. When a lad, in 1846, he came to Wolcott from Williamson. He married Mary E., the eldest daughter of Nelson W. Moore, who lived to be ninety-four years old and who from 1860 to '67 ran the grist mill here. Moore's business contemporaries were Jedediah Wilder, Roswell Benedict and Messrs. Galloway and Churchill who at different times owned carding machines in Wolcott. For fifty-three years Amos Nash and his wife have lived in their present home.

"After coming to Wolcott," said Mr. Nash, "I was employed on the J. P. Butterfield stage line running through Wolcott between Oswego and Rochester. Butterfield was a Wolcott man who carried on the old Chester Dutton farm and ran the White Hotel east of the creek, which was the stopping place for the stages and where they changed horses. His livery barns were on the present site of the Metcalf stables.


"During seasons of bad roads the coaches were drawn by four horses, coming up from Oswego and back the next day. Stopping at the White Hotel to change horses they passed on down Mill street into Main and then on out of the village along the west road over to Port Glasgow, now Resort, which we then call the Bay Bridge. There were two hotels there, one conducted by a man named Ward, which was burned. From there the line ran along west to Irondequoit and into Rochester. The first relay after leaving Oswego was Fair Haven; then Wolcott, Sodus and Webster. Sometimes, on good roads, we drove on to Williamson or Alton for change of teams. The coaches were the heavy Concord thoroughbrace style swinging on straps and carrying from twelve to sixteen passengers. The nearest railroad to Wolcott was the Auburn road. The last owners of the coach line were J. W. Olmstead and James Hyde.


"To get through with the coaches at times was a real hardship and some peril. I was located in Wolcott but often went out as a driver. In the winter the coaches were frequently stalled in snow. In the spring and fall after the hard rains the heavy coach would get mired in mud. Then the passengers were called upon to turn out, get a fence rail and help pry the coach out. After the close of navigation on the lakes a great many sailors took passage on the coaches at Oswego for their homes in the country. It pleased the drivers to call upon them to lend a hand in lifting the coach out of the mud, for it took the conceit out of them.


"A coach from Oswego delayed all day on the road has called me out to hitch up and drive it through when I would be all night on the road. The great peril of that trip was in crossing the float bridge at Port Glasgow on planks supported by stringers floating on the water, the wind blowing a gale, the coach lights all out and not to be lighted in the wind and the horses and vehicle with difficulty guided across the dangerous bridge where every foot of progress was sloshy-ty-slosh, sloshy-ty-slosh in Egyptian darkness with no rail on the side of the bridge to keep us from getting off.


"At a gathering in the hotel of the old cronies one night Uncle John Gilbert made the remark that he guessed he would 'wallow home in the mud' across the creek. One of the party said that he would not take the walk in the darkness and mud for a dollar.

"'I'll tell you what I'll do,' replied Uncle John. 'For a sixpence a trip I'll walk over home and back as often as I can go between now and morning.'

'The party thinking they would have some fun in bluffing him agreed to make up the purse on that basis for all the trips he would make. The saw mill down on the stream was running nights and some of them gathered there to see that he passed the mill going both ways while others remained at the hotel to see that he reached that point. He trudged back and forth through mud and darkness until daylight. When he passed the mill he called out to let them know of it. When the party scattered for their homes in the morning they raised among them a purse of a dollar or ten shillings. Uncle John Southwick was another who crossed the creek to spend his evenings at White Hotel. Trying to put together a stovepipe one night up stairs at home he fell over a barrel (worth a shilling) and busted in the head. 'What's to pay up there?' cried his wife from the foot of the stairs, alarmed by the racket overhead. 'A shilling,' was the rejoinder.

"The toll gate at Bay Bridge was kept by Miss Bouncer, who priding herself on her shrewdness tempted the boys occasionally to attempt to get the best of the toll. Isaac Johnson with a large box in his wagon passed by declaring that he was at the head of a show and had a wild animal in the box. He had a boon companion out of sight who while he was parleying with Miss Bouncer kept up such a clawing and growling that she became alarmed and passed them through.

"Ten years after coming to Wolcott I left stage coaching and from 1856 to 1875 dealt in eggs, shipping from 7,000 to 10,000 barrels in a year. I had egg vats for liming eggs on Mill street, each of which held from 80,000 to 100,000 dozen, that were destroyed in the fire of 1876."

Ontario Shore Lodge No. 495, I. O. O. F., was instituted Feb. 9, 1882. The old lodge instituted many years ago was burned out in the fire of 1871, and lost all of its documents and books. The lodge since then has grown steadily. The officers are: N. G., R. H. Bailey; V. G., Wm. Brown; R. S., C. W. Smith; P. S., E. J. Peck; S. P. G. S., S. M. Bowers; R. S. N. G., Dr. D. B. Horton; L. S. N. G., A. L. Loveless; R. S. V. G., Charles Webb; L. S. V. G., Irving McIntyre; R. S. S., Peter Monihan; L. S. S., J. F. Hutchins; Warden, Charles Plumley; Conductor, Jesse Olmstead; Chaplain, I. L. Sherwood; I. G. Wm. Loveless; O. G., M. W. Cole.

Evergreen Rebekah Lodge No. 145, I. O. O. F., was organized in March, 1893 and was the first Rebekah lodge in the county. The first officers were: Noble Grand, Mrs. J. E. Lawrence; Vice Grand, Mrs. James G. Brewster; Secretary, Miss Martha Cornwell; Financial Secretary, Mrs. E. J. Peck; Treasurer, Mrs. William Brown.

Woman's Guild, St. Stephen Episcopal Church was organized Oct. 15, 1902, and the following officers were elected: President, Mrs. A. B. Sabin; Secretary, Mrs. R. L. Hamilton; Treasurer, Mrs. Fred Knapp. The Guild is a body of eleven zealous workers in the church, who during its three years of industry have raised $500 towards the building fund and for other purposes in the interest of the church.

Early Blacksmith. - Hiram Bement, from Vermont, purchased sixty acres on the east side of Mill Creek, north of the Oswego road. He was one of the first blacksmiths at Wolcott.

Next Largest in the World


Wolcott Grange, No. 348, P. of H., was organized Sept. 8, 1875, with thirty-one charter members and Capt. Jas. H. Hyde as Master. Politics has been carefully kept out of the society, and the one aim has always been the study for the advancement and mutual help in the best methods of farming and fruit growing.

The Chapter has steadily grown until now it has the distinction of being next to the largest in the world, having a membership of over 800 and representing about 500 families. The present Master is Mr. Forest R. Pierson.

The Chapter has never taken up the co-operative trade scheme, but has always loyally supported the mercantile interests of the town, and has by its system of education in farming contributed much to the welfare of the village.


Forest R. Pierson, Master.
Henry R. Paddock, Overseer.
J. Byron Smith, Lecturer.
Mrs. Wm. Zopher McQueen, Steward.
Frank L. Watson, Ass't Steward.
Mrs. M. G. Wood, Lady Ass't Steward.
Mrs. Irving Scott, Chaplain.
A. J. Fox, Treasurer.
Mrs. J. H. L. Roe, Secretary.
J. H. L. Roe, Ass't and Financial Secretary.
Ernest Mathews, Gate Keeper.
Mrs. Warren Seager, Ceres.
Mrs. Anna Kelley, Pomona.
Mrs. Sarah A. Jones, Flora.
Mrs. Ella Hibbard, Chorister.
Mrs. I. Y. Upham, Pianist.
   Trustees - John O. Wadsworth, term expires 1905; Mason G. Wood, term expires 1906; Mrs. Jas. H. Brewster, term expires 1907.
   Executive Committee - A. B. Thacker, term expires 1905; I. Y. Upham, term expires 1906; Robert J. Kelley, term expires 1907.
   Finance Committee - H. R. Paddock, J. Byron Smith, Frank L. Watson.
   Director Fire Insurance - C. E. Fitch, Wolcott, N. Y.
   Our Motto is: "Malice towards none and charity for all."


Jas. H. Hyde, J. S. Tyrrell.
Mrs. Jas. H. Hyde, Mrs. J. S. Tyrrell,
J. H. L. Roe, J. L. Phillips, deceased,
Mrs. J. H. L. Roe, Mrs. J. L. Phillips,
A. B. Thacker, John Paylor,
Mrs. A. B. Thacker, Mrs. John Paylor,
T. J. Waldorf, Samuel S. Wells,
Mrs. T. J. Waldorf, Mrs. S. S. Wells, dec.,
A. M. Wise, dec., Henry Dowd, dec.
Mrs. A. M. Wise, dec., Mrs. Henry Dowd, dec.,
E. H. Reed, Allen H. Fitch sr., dec.,
Mrs. E. H. Reed, H. W. Hendrick,
Hezekiah Easton, W. J. Smith,
Mrs. Hezekiah Easton, E. N. Plank,
John Wilson, dec., Daniel Conger, dec.
Lizzie B. Wilson,


Jas. H. Hyde, 1875.
J. H. L. Roe, 1876-78.
J. H. Hyde, 1879.
J. S. Tyrrell, 1880.
J. H. L. Roe, 1881-89.
J. S. Tyrrell, 1890-91.
J. O. Wadsworth, 1892-1893.
C. H. VanHeusen, deceased, 1894, (1month).
Geo. A. Slaght, 1894-1896.
J. Byron Smith, 1897-1898.
Mrs. A. B. thacker, 1899-1900.
H. R. Paddock, 1901.
Dan'l Robertson, 1902


J. H. L. Roe, 1885.
E. H. Reed, 1876-79.
J. H. L. Roe, 1880.
E. H. Reed, 1881.
Mrs. J. H. L. Roe, 1882-1904.


The village of Wolcott is one of the smartest, cleanest and most enterprising towns in this part of the state. This is true both in its resident and business features.

Such are the features that attract the notice of the stranger at the first glance. The thrift and enterprise of the village may be attributed largely to the following conditions:

The business and property of the village is managed and owned to a large extent by home capital;

The village is the trade center of a very wide and prosperous section of country;

It is the shipping center of a large fruit business;

Its business men are up to date and pushing and its citizens as a whole are well-to-do and prosperous.

Wolcott is favored with one of the most complete electric light plants of to-day. It is conducted in an enterprising business way and furnishes both arc and incandescent lights to a large patronage.

An evidence of the prosperity and thrift of the farming community from which Wolcott largely draws its retail trade is the Wolcott Grange, P. of H., No. 348. This organization of farmers, next to the largest Grange in the United States, has long been considered an index of the character and enterprise of the farming sections around Wolcott, where the most prosperous and intelligent farming class produces from fertile and highly cultivated farms large and profitable crops. Wolcott is justly proud of her chapter of the Grange.

Many places near Wolcott are historic, for it was at Sodus Bay that the earliest landed proprietor, C. Charles Williamson, conceived the enterprise of an important lake harbor and great shipping point, and even began the erection of a large town. Here in the war of 1812 the British planned an invasion of the American colonies and appeared with the enormous flotilla of 90 sail bristling with guns and crowded with veteran troops. The courage of a small militia and a few partisan bands swarming around the landing when the British attempted a foothold and annoying them as vigorously as a swarm of wasps drove them off.

"The Lake Shore News" was started in 1874 by the late Wm. H. Thomas.

In 1901 the growth and increased business of the town induced Mr. Chas. M. Delling to open another printing office and since that time the "Wolcott Courier" has been issued from this office. It has a large circulation and keeps the village and surrounding country thoroughly in touch with each other.

Reminiscences; The old Apple Orchard is now a Section of Pretty Village Homes; Old School Masters at the Red Schoolhouse:

John Boylan, born in 1825, is another old resident of Wolcott - coming here with his parents from Alloway, near Lyons, when he was eleven years old - in 1836.

"We went to live across the creek in a home near the cobblestone house. We afterwards lived in the Wolcott house," said Mr. Boylan.

"The earliest business man of Wolcott I recollect was Levi Smith, the grocer.

"John Gilbert was the earliest landlord at the old White hotel that I recall.


"I went to school in the red schoolhouse on New Hartford street and I well remember one of our teachers, Pettit, an old sea captain, who knew how to use the rod cheerfully as well as effectually, so that the youngster whom he flogged could remember the flogging. Marks always followed the blows, but Pettit kept a bottle of some sort of cordial in his desk, from which he poured on to the affected parts to prevent them from becoming scarred. Other teachers in that school that come to my mind were Harlow Hyde - we called him 'Squire - who was rather easy with the boys, and Dr. McCarthy who on the contrary was stern and also used the rod.

"Some of the merchants in the village I recall were N. W. Tompkins, Uncle Ben Underhill and M. P. Foote. I clerked for Foote two years.

"My father, Aaron Boylan, kept the Wolcott House twenty-five years. He bought it of E. Y. Munson. After father's death my brother and I ran it about two years and in 1860 or '61 sold out to Hiram Beach.

"I remember the old apple orchard about where we now stand when it belonged to David Arne. It covered all of these grounds, my place here on Main street, and ran back to Orchard street. The property was also owned by M. P. Foote, who sold to James Wright and he cut it up into village lots. The tract extended west from Roe's present residence to the railroad tracks. Wright street was named after James Wright of whom I have spoken. The street running down to the depot, opened up through the orchard is called Orchard street."


Page 30

Page 31

Page 32

Page 33

Page 34

Page 35
Lower Row (left to right):-Charles Walker, Floyd Meeker, ------ Lyle, C. W. Smith, Guy Kellogg, Ed. Klinck,. Middle Row: Dr. D. B. Horton, Albert Sabin, James Phillips, ------Conner, Ira J. Foster, J. A. Murphy, E. J. Peck. Upper Row:-Charles Plumley, Peter Monihan, R. H. Kelley, Manly Cole, B. T. Moore, S. M. Bowers, L. W. Knapp, Robert King.

Top Row (left to right):- C. Walker, W. Brown, E. Robbins, S. Bowers, C. Plumley, C. E. Webb, Miss Schaeffer, Mrs. Robbins, Mrs. Schattner, Laura Vanderpool, Mabel Medan. Lower Row--Edith Bort, Mrs. W. Brown, Pearl Olmstead, Mrs. C. Webb, Jennie Brown, Mrs. Plumley.

Page 36 WOLCOTT GRANGE, NO. 348, P. OF H.
Key.--Lower Row (left to right):--Wm. Pitts, Irving Scott, D. Harper, Miss Harper, A. B. Thacker, W. Peer, Mrs. Richardson, Mrs. Jones, Mrs. Seager, Mrs. Andrew Kelley, Mrs. Mason Wood, Mrs. Deforest Pierson, Mrs. George Waterman, Mrs. Ella Douglass, Olive Lamb, Mrs. Hiram McQueen. Second Row: Mrs. Nellie Jones, Mrs. Cora Munsell, Mrs. Lovina Brewster, H. R. Paddock, Mrs. Irving Scott, F. R. Pierson, J. B. Smith, Andrew Fox, Mrs. Joseph Roe, Isaac Otis, Frank Belknap, Mrs. Ada Belknap. Third Row: Mrs. Orestus Vought, Mrs. L. Worden, Mrs. John McDormer, Mrs. A. B. Thacker, Mrs. Egnor, Mrs. W. Peer, Mrs. Ida Cosad, Mrs. Martha Gibbs, J. S. Tyrrell, Sarah Madan, Mrs. George Dickinson, Miss Mitchell, Mrs. Sarah Wadsworth, Noah Wood, Henry Wadsworth , Mrs. Nettie Clapper, Mrs. Anna Harper, Mrs. H. R. Paddock. Upper Row: Mrs. Meeker, Wm. Reynolds, Mr. Vought, Spencer Sears, Miss Mitchell, Mrs. Winchell, Mrs. J. S. Tyrrell, Mrs. Nancy Frost, Mrs. Martha Devoe, Mrs. E. Clark, Mrs. Hannah Hawley, Mrs. Mitchell, Mrs. C. Hurter, Mrs. Wm. Easton, Mrs. Mary Andrus, Mrs. Fitch, Mrs. Reynolds, Miss Edna Tyrrell, Martha Russell.

Typed by Faye Brown.

"I have gotten a great deal of information from the Wayne County site. Both of my parents were born and raised in Wayne County. The names of my ancesters were Farnsworth, Jordan, Ayers, Wicks, Austin, Gifford and West, among many others."

For information about individuals, businesses and organizations mentioned on this page, please direct all inquiries to the Office of the County Historian.

Back to Town of Wolcott Page

Created: 2/26/01
Copyright © 2001 Faye Brown/ M. Magill
Copyright © 2001 Wayne County NYGenWeb
All Rights Reserved.