May 26, 1904

Formerly Published in Wolcott, N.Y.

Transcribed and Contributed by Diana Niedermeier

The following was transcribed from the Lake Shore News, a now-defunct newspaper published in Wolcott, N.Y. that covered local news about eastern Wayne county. All first and surname spellings are as in the original. Many, many thanks to Diana Niedermeier for her thoughtfulness in contributing!

Lake Shore News, May 26, 1904. Published in Wolcott, N.Y.


No New Cases In Wolcott From The Start, And None Looked For.

    The small-pox situation in Wolcott is most encouraging. There have been no new cases, the disease, so far as this village is concerned, being held where it was on the start.

     Miss Mabel Madan was released several days ago, and her home thoroughly fumigated.

    The fumigation at Claude Quick's was begun last night and will be finished to-day.

    The same is true at John Conway's.

    George Curtis will be released the last of the week.

    This leaves Guy Kellogg the sole case, and it will not be long before he can be released. His case is the last in Wolcott Village.

    In Huron township Truman Warner's wife and four-year-old daughter have the disease. John Warner's wife has it, and there is another case under suspicion. It is early yet to form a positive opinion in this case but indications point that way.

    Miss Mabel Madan, of Wolcott, was released last Saturday night after a thorough fumigation with sulphur and formaldehyde. Every trunk was opened and the goods given a through disinfection. The fumes of the sulphur were so strong Sunday night that the family could hardly stand it to sleep in the house.

    Many persons in and about Wolcott have been made down sick by vaccination, a few being broken out with kinepox. In most instances such cases have been little children. In scores of cases people have been so sick that they were unable to work for a few days, while others have kept going who did not feel hardly able to crawl about.

    School children have been sorely afflicted. The older ones have generally kept in school, but many of them were half sick and not able to do much with their studies and recitations.

    On Monday out of a total membership of 317, there were 171 present. This was better than last week, when one day there were only 151 present.

    The attendance on Tuesday was 175 present and 142 absent.

    At Cato a death was reported last week, the victim being Mrs. Will Mosher, but in her case there were said to be complications.


Mrs. A.D. Sage, of Wolcott, will ship her furniture to-day to Canandaigua, and will move there to-morrow with her family, having rented a house at 13 Coy street.

Dr. G. B. Mack, who has been in New York since last October, arrived home Tuesday night, and will visit his people in Butler for a fortnight, when he will go to the Albany Homeopathic City hospital.

W. D. Campbell, of Wolcott, was back from Cato for a few hours last Saturday. His mother is steadily failing, having been much worse for the past week or two. It is not expected that she can live very long.

Miss Ida Milliman, of Red Creek, who for two years past has been a clerk in Thacker Bro's & Co's store, Wolcott, went home during the recent scare, and it is doubtful if she will return. Her place has been taken by Miss Eva Prevost.

Ed A. Wadsworth, Walter R. Strait, Milton E. Gates, Lester Caster and Porter Brockway, of Wolcott, went to Oswego on Monday, where they joined Shilling's Third Battalion band, and went to Kingston, Ont., to play at the Queen's-birthday celebration, returning home on Wednesday.

Arvin H. Creque, who left Wolcott several months ago, was in town last Saturday, returning to Fair Haven, where he is stopping at present. While here he made an offer of $2,200 for Mrs. H. C. Merrill's farm on East Port Bay street. The offer was declined, $2,500 being the price. The farm contains about 40 acres.

Moses P. Conner expects Charles J. Wangman, of Rochester, here this week to close the deal for Conner's hotel. Mr. Wangman stands six feet four inches, and weighs 270 lb. After moving out, Mr. Conner will visit his daughter, Mrs. Daniel E. Shea, of Watertown, for a couple of weeks. He expects to make his home in Wolcott.

Judson H. Dowd, a charter member of the Wolcott old soldiers, automobile club, got his wheel chair in order last Saturday for the first time since the first of April. His health has suffered for lack of outdoor exercise, but now he hopes to keep going until cold weather stops him. When he took his machine to be overhauled it was found that the cones were worn out, and only now has it been put in order for his use.

Lorenzo Hall, who for the last five weeks has been working with his team at the fort in Oswego, was home over Sunday and Monday. The government is removing the old buildings from the fort enclosure and leveling the grounds, preparatory to putting up new buildings. Mr. Hall says one of the buildings being taken down was put up only a few years ago at the cost of $35,000. Since going to work in Oswego Mr. Hall's big gray horse had died of indigestion.

George Quereau, of North Rose, who recently returned from an extended trip to California and Colorado, was in Wolcott on Tuesday. He thinks some of selling out and moving to California being much pleased with the climate there. He has a brother at San Diego in the hotel business. He also met Horace Hendrick, formerly of Wolcott, who is in the laundry business there, and found him prosperous and in good health. Mr. Quereau was not able to stay long in the high altitude of Colorado.


    Frank Potter, the 18-year-old Huron farm hand who was indicted for grand larceny in the second degree, for stealing an Arabian stallion from Judson Jones last March, was sentenced on Monday to Elmira Reformatory under the provisions of the law applying in such cases. Potter was an inmate of the State Industrial School at Rochester up to last year, having been convicted once before on a similar charge.


Albert Wells's Silo Went Over and His Dryhouse Was Moved

    The heat of yesterday morning was followed at noon by a thunder storm, with hail for about three minutes, and a high wind.

    It is feared that the hailstones did some damage to the apple trees, which now are in full bloom.

    The storm amounted to a tornado in parts of Butler and Rose townships. The northerly edge of the storm was between Morton Persons and Byron Southwick's, both in the corporation.

    Considerable damage was done south of Rose Valley, one barn there being reported torn to pieces.

    Irving Lash and Albert Drury each had one apple tree toppled over.

    Four of Byron Southwick's maple trees were laid over, and he lost some apple trees.

    The most damage was done at Albert Well's farm, a mile south of Wolcott on the Clyde road. He lost seven apple trees in his orchard.

    His new silo went over and rolled back of the barn. It will have to be taken apart, but the lumber can be used in the construction of a new one.

    His dry house, which stood on 14-inch posts, was moved four feet to the east and five feet to the south, the chimney being broken squarely off inside the building.

    It is understood this morning that Charles Blake and others in that locality lost apple trees.


    The Ladies' Literary class, of Wolcott, met at the home of Mrs. E. H. Kellogg this week. Mrs. J. G. Strait was the reader. The following program was given: Selections from Mark Twain, Mrs. Curtis; sketches of Field and Riley, Mrs. J. Brewster; selection from Field and Riley, Mrs. Kellogg.

    Then followed the election of officers for the coming year: President, Mrs. D. B. Horton; vice-president, Mrs. E. J. Lytle; secretary Mrs. T. G. Henderson, treasurer, Mrs. J. R. Waldorf.

    It was decided to take up American authors during the coming year.

    This was the last meeting this year with the exception of the banquet which will be held on the evening of June 7 at the house of Mrs. Bevier and Mrs. Latimer, the reception being held at Mrs. Bevier's and the refreshments served and toasts given at Mrs. Latimer's. As is their custom, the ladies will entertain their husbands at the annual banquet.


    De L. Stow, of Clyde, sold two parcels of land owned by Ira Drury, of Wolcott, at mortgage sale Monday afternoon from the steps of the Wolcott house. The foreclosure proceedings were begun by Mrs. John E. Hough, of South Butler, whose claim, including interest and costs, amounted to $2,100.

    The property included a farm of 50 acres on the plank road, Wolcott township, and a tract of 16 acres, near where Mr. Drury lives, fronting on Cemetery street. Part of this land contains a berry patch and the Catchpole gun club's house stands on the lot.

    The two parcels were sold at once and were bid in at $1,400 by George O. Baker of Clyde, who represented Mrs. Hough.


    The Ben Brown place, on East Port Bay street, Wolcott township, has been sold to William Lash. The papers have not passed yet, as the deed had to be sent to Colorado for the signature of a daughter, Hattie Brown. The farm consists of about fifty acres.

The consideration was $2,000.


    Claude T. Metcalf, of Wolcott, bought a new team in East Syracuse last week. They were delivered to him at Cato on Thursday, and he led them in from there. They weigh 2,100 pounds, are five and six years old, and of mouse color, looking like a black team that have been clipped. One is a horse and the other a mare. They came from the Kansas stock ranch of A. D. Ellis, Willis S. Roe's partner in the banking firm of Roe & Ellis, Wolcott.


    Charles Demarest, of Fair Haven , recently finished drilling a well for the Sodus Co-operative skimming station at North Wolcott, on land owned by N. J. Field.

    On May 7, forty feet down, he went through a two-foot vein of iron-ore, which painted things red all about there while it lasted. Iron ore has been struck many times in the vicinity of North Wolcott, the ore being of the same quality as that found about Wolcott.


    Cyrus E. Fitch, of Butler, has secured an increase of pension for John Van Horn, of East Port Bay street, Wolcott, from $12 to $17 a month, from Feb. 1 last. Mr. Van Horn has an injury of the right hip and lost his right eye, and at present is not able to do much work.


Yellow state seed corn for sale. William H. Paddock.


For Sale--Eighteen pigs, five weeks old. A. L. Kittle, third house West of the Graham schoolhouse, Huron.


For Sale--Surry, newly painted in first class condition. Will be sold at a bargain. H. A. Graves, Wolcott.


Farmers--I will pay 5 cts. a lb. for prime fat calves at Cato, N. Y., Monday, May 30, 1904. Isaac E. Van Doren.


For Sale--Hubbard farm, 106 acres near West Butler. Apply to F. B. Everhart, Clyde, or F. H. Everhart, Wilson, N. Y.


For Sale Seventeen full-blooded Belgian hares. Inquire of R. E. Ellinwood, one mile west of West Butler.


For Sale--Lots in Leavenworth cemetery, Wolcott; size and price to suit purchaser. Lots cared for. Removals made. Ira H. Drury, Wolcott.


The Dow Farm--138 acres, east of North Wolcott. Very productive, with running water. Fine 12-room house, large barn and corn house, 1/4 mile to skimming station and stores, 3 1/2 to railroad. For sale at a sacrifice, W. W. Wood, Red Creek, N. Y.


Child Passed Away Yesterday, After a Year's Illness.

    Roscoe Pillips, ten-year-old son of Mr. and Mrs. Adelbert Phillipps, of North Wolcott, died at 4:30 p. m. yesterday. He had been sick for about a year. Not having been out of his bed for the last seven months.

    The trouble at the start was rheumatism and under its baneful effects the child's frail body dwindled to a skeleton.

    Five weeks ago severe hemorrhages from the nose set in, which were almost impossible to stop.

    The arrangements for the funeral have not been made yet.
[Spelling as in paper.]


Special Service Sunday Night and Program for Monday.

    Next Monday will be Memorial-day. Sunday night the members of Keeslar Post, G. A. R., of Wolcott, will attend the M. E. church, when the Rev. W. H. Latimer, the pastor, will preach a special sermon appropriate to the occasion.

    On Monday morning early flowers will be received at G. A. R. hall and committees from Keeslar post will decorate the graves of soldiers in Leavenworth and all the outlying cemeteries thereabout.

    At 1 p. m., the veterans will meet at their hall and with the Ladies of the G. A. R., will march to Leavenworth cemetery. The chaplain will make prayer, there will be singing, reading of the orders, and the Rev. C. E. Woodward, pastor of the Huron Presbyterian church, will make an address, after which the mound will be decorated. The same speaker also will make the address in Huron in the morning.

    The members of Keeslar post will meet at their hall at 6:45 p. m. Sunday, preparatory to marching to the M.E. church in a body. (Spelling as in paper)


    The Alerts of Wolcott, on short notice on Tuesday arranged a game of ball with Clyde, for Saturday afternoon of this week. The game will be called at 2:30 p. m. the line up for the Alerts has been arranged as follows: Moore 1b, Hall 2b, Michelson ss, Waldorf 3b, Caster rf, VanValkenburg cf, Newberry lf, Brown c and Thomas p.


    On Monday in the Surrogate's court letters of administration on the personal estate of Cornelia L. La Due, who died at Wolcott, August 7, 1872, were issued to Sarah E. Mann, of Lyons, who filed a bond of $500.

    Letters of guardianship over Archie Davenport, of Huron were issued to Augusta Fowler, who filed a bond of $1,000.


Government Appointed Her to a Railroad Post Office Clerkship

    Mrs. A. C. Brink, wife of the Wolcott postmaster, now has more than ever a right to be called "Aunt Sam," for the federal government, through its civil service commission, has appointed her to a government mail clerkship, and has designated her run as between Rochester and Albany, daily.

    The mere fact that she doesn't intend to accept, and that her husband doesn't want to hear the subject talked about, has nothing to do with the case.

    A long time ago-so long that she had forgotten all about it-while visiting her mother in Rochester, for the lack of something more interesting to do, Mrs. Brink tried the civil service examination.

    The official who conducted the examination was gallant enough to compliment her dexterity in the sorting of mail matter, and she found out later that only one of those who tried stood higher than she.

    On Thursday last she was notified that she had been appointed to a run on the main line of the New York Central. When she showed the notification to her husband he became somewhat excited, but became easier in his mind when he found she had no notion of accepting the offer.

    Mail clerks start a $900 a year, and are advanced to $1,400 by slow degrees. There is only one lady clerk in the whole United States. It is from this corps that all the postal inspectors are appointed. But "Aunt Sam" will stand by the postmaster, though she may take advantage of this fine offer to strike him for an advance in salary.


    The Wayne county institute of the Woman's Christian Temperance union was held in the Alton M. P. church May 17 and 18. It opened Tuesday afternoon with Mrs. H. N. Granger in the chair. After the business session several interesting and instructive papers were read by Mrs. Lizzie Granger, Mrs. Evelyn Tolman and Mrs. Helen E. Bliss.

    The evening address was delivered by Miss Rhena Mosher, on "The Future of the Republic." It was enjoyed by all.

    Wednesday forenoon Mrs. C. Fuller read a very able paper on the Loyal Temperance legion. The remainder of the time was taken up by Mrs. Mary Weaver and Miss Rhena Mosher.

    Wednesday afternoon Miss Pauline Fuller gave a recitation in her usual pleasing manner.

    Rev. F. M. Windnagle, of the Sodus M. E. church; Rev. R. M. Connell, of Lincoln; F. A. Van Hee, of Sodus; Ross Hersey, of Red Creek, and Miss Rhena Mosher held a parliament. [At this point the rest of the front page is missing.]


Warren Sampson and wife spent Sunday with Mrs. Betsey Peck.

Fred Post, of Red Creek, spent Sunday with Miss Sarah Moore.

Frank Merrell had business in Clyde last Thursday.

Miss Fanny Loveless was home from Wolcott over Sunday.

Mrs. Frank Casteline called on her daughter, of North Wolcott, Saturday.

Allen Olmsted is fitting his corn ground. He expects to plant this week.

Mrs. Washington Loveless called on her aunt, Mrs. Harriet Campbell, Saturday.

Will Loveless and family, of North Wolcott, were the guests of the former's parents Sunday.

Mrs. F. M. Schenck and Mrs. W. W. Lytle, of Wolcott, were callers in this section Saturday.

Mrs. W. C. Caywood and Mrs. Betsey Peck were callers at Mrs. Olive Olmsted's Saturday afternoon.

Mrs. Allen Calkins and son Wade were the guests of relatives in Huron last week Wednesday night and Thursday.

Frank and Harriett Calkins called on Mr. and Mrs. Charles Reynolds of Rochester, Sunday at the home of William Reynolds, the former's father.

Miss Emeline Tainter, who has been in poor health so long, is still confined to her bed. Her sister, Mrs. Sarah Walker, of Wolcott, spent Monday with her.

Mrs. George Wamby, of Seneca Falls, and Mrs. Eugene Reynolds, of Rochester, have been spending several days with their mother, Mrs. Catherine Calkins, who has been quite ill. She is much improved, however, and returned with her daughter to Seneca Falls the first of the week, where she will spend some time.

Mrs. Lucy Marble died at the home of her sister last Thursday morning, after a three weeks' illness of heart trouble, aged 89 years. She was a great sufferer and death was a relief. Her remains were taken to North Wolcott to her daughter's home, Mrs. Abe Egnor's where the funeral was held Saturday forenoon. She had lived in the towns of Wolcott and Butler nearly all her life, where she had many warm friends who mourn her loss. Her daughters wish to thank neighbors and friends for the kindness shown during her illness.


James Miller was at Lyons as a juror last week.

John Dobbin, of Wolcott, called on friends here Saturday.

Mr. and Mrs. Daniel Miller called on friends at Victory last week Tuesday.

Judson Goodsell and family, of Emerson, spent Saturday night at A. J. Goodsell's.

[Transcriber's Note: At this point the rest of the column is missing. I do not know if the following is news of Butler Center or another town.]

Florence Foster were guests of Mrs. O. J. Garlock, of Palmyra, and of Newark friends from Wednesday until Saturday.

Mrs. Bridget Durkin died at her home in Butler on Monday. The funeral was held at Red Creek Thursday. She was 93 years of age and a husband 90 years old survives.

The blacksmith shop of William Walker took fire last week Wednesday from the sparks of the smoke stack upon the Hibbard basket factory. No great damage was done on account of the promptitude of the employees of the factory.

Lathan Sickler, leader of the South Butler Citizens band, reports to C. H. Lampman, agent of the Sweeting post, 291, who will have charge of the Memorial-day exercises in the absence of Commander F. R. Pierson, as follows.

The band is composed of 18 members.

They have been rehearsing all the past winter, and among their many new pieces they have one war song entitled "Boys in Blue Overture," also one called "Yankee Hash Overture." While all the lovers of instrumental music take a great interest in the band, Lathan promises a fine discourse of music. Miss Ethel Rising, our old stand by on recitations, is to be ably assisted this year by Miss Mabelle Wood's recitation entitled "Our Honorable Dead." Miss Cora Read, who is a member of the choir, has consented to sing a song at the cemetery, entitled "Taps."

Rev. F. H. Read was highly complemented for his talk in the cemetery last year and those best acquainted with him say they expect to hear one of the best orations on Memorial day in the history of Sweeting post. All of our school teachers and their students, Sabbath school teachers and their scholars are invited to take part in gathering and distributing flowers. All places of business are requested and expected to be closed during the Memorial service.

Mrs. Jennie Baldwin visited friends in this vicinity last week.

Mrs. Watson called on Mrs. Ballard Burghdorf last Thursday.

John Jones attended the baseball game at Savannah last Saturday.

Mr. and Mrs. Edward Early, of Savannah, recently visited Mrs. John Manning.

Mrs. Toles and granddaughter have returned from a week's visit at Mrs. McArthur's.

Ballard and Frank Burghdorf spent Sunday with their parents Mr. and Mrs. Stephen Burghdorf.

The new 'phones have arrived for the Spring Lake and Red Creek telephone company, and Mr. Devoe is putting them in.

Mr. and Mrs. John Manning visited their brother, James Manning, last Sunday at Weedsport, who is very ill with dropsy and heart trouble.

Leonard Jones died last Sunday of heart failure. He leaves a wife, daughter and grandson, Vern. The funeral was held at his daughter's, Mrs. Bert Williams's. The Rev. Mr. Allen, of Victory, officiated and the remains were laid to rest at Butler Center.


Mrs. S. P. Cady is improving slowly.

Charles H. Knight attended court at Lyons last week.

The new iron bridge at Lummisville has been completed.

Frank Riggs has been offered $550 for his span of roan horses.

R. H. Cole brought his new naphtha launch home last Saturday.

D. M. Delong is setting out a find orchard on his Mr. Pleasant farm.

Mrs. C. S. Reed, of Clyde, visited friends in town last Friday and Saturday.

[Rest of page column missing.]


Fletcher Galloway has moved from the Stacy house to Rose.

R. H. Cole's new naphtha launch has arrived and is a beauty.

Edward Friese, of Alton, called on Sodus bay friends last Sunday.

Ben Wood has been ill for several days, the result of vaccination.

F. C. Wickham, of Sodus Point, has business in town one day last week.

Oliver Dunbar has moved from the Chamberlain farm to his own place near Alton.

There were many guests at the Ackerman house on Sunday, Rochester, Wolcott, Lyons and Clyde were represented.

Captain Fields has sold the Ideal to parties residing in Duluth. The new owner came after the boat, bringing a full crew with him.

J. N. Decker will remodle(sp) the basement of his cottage, making a kitchen and dining room below. The rooms now used for that purpose will be turned into sleeping rooms.

Mr. and Mrs. Kelley, of Newark, are in their cottage on Lake Bluff for the season. Mrs. Luce is also occupying her cottage at the same place, cleaning and repairing for opening it later.

Mrs. S. L. Ettlenheimer, of Rochester, chaperoned a party of six from the city to Sodus bay. They came by trolley to Wallington, where they expected a conveyance to meet them and take them to the Ackerman house. There was no conveyance at hand and they hired a man with a team of mules to drive them to Resort. They enjoyed the ride in the horseless carriage and returned in the evening to Sodus Point, thence going by trolley to Rochester.


Bertha Stoughtenger is living at William Davis's this summer.

Mrs. Lena Mack is expected to return from New York city next week.

Mrs. Walter Darling entertained Mr. and Mrs. Jay Williard last Sunday.

Alvah Seavey underwent a delicate operation for one of his eyes last week by Dr. G. A. Jones. It was successful and the eye is in a fair way to a healthy condition.


Fred Van Arsdale is engaging in ginseng culture.

Fanny Caster was a caller at J. O. Wadsworth's on Sunday.

Seymour Blauvelt is suffering from a severe attack of neuralgia.

Edna Sears has returned from her visit to Syracuse and Auburn.

Mr. and Mrs. J. A. Coleman and daughter Olive were at Alton on Sunday.

Mr. and Mrs. Andrew Whitbeck were callers at F. M. Lutes's Sunday afternoon.

Adelbert Wolver is tending mason on the cellar for L. D. Seymour's new house in Wolcott.

Mr. and Mrs. Wm. Cuyler spent Sunday with Mrs. Cuyler's parents, Mr. and Mrs. John Lash.

Mrs. Fred P. Fitch, of Wolcott, visited her parents, Mr. And Mrs. Frank Hurd, one day last week.

Leslie Caster, solo clarinetist, accompanied an Oswego band to Kingston, Ont., the fore part of the week.

Mrs. F. H. Blauvelt and children spent Sunday with her parents, Mr. and Mrs. William Gatchel, at Alton.

Mr. and Mrs. Henry Wadsworth attended the funeral of Mrs. Lucy A, Marble at North Wolcott on Saturday.

Will Loveless and family spent Sunday with relatives in Butler.

Frank Porter is working for F. H. Blauvelt.

Mrs. Van Arsdale and daughter Elva spent Saturday night and Sunday with Mrs. Benjamin Brown, of Port Bay street.

Invitations are out for a birthday party for Master Royce Wadsworth at his home on Saturday of this week in honor of his ninth birthday.

The 'phones are now practically all installed on the Farmers' Co-operative line, and we're prepared to neighbor with the outside world.

Mr. and Mrs. Eli Roberts called on Mrs. Roberts's sister, Mrs. Vancy Stevens, on Sunday, and reports that her condition is slightly improved.

Frank Otis has been doing some bridge grafting for Georger Caster on his young apple trees that were girdled by the mice during the winter.

Dr. Dwight F. Johnson, of Bellevue hospital, New York city, is spending a couple of weeks with his parents, Mr. and Mrs. George Johnson.

Fred Wadsworth is now a horse breeder and the proud possessor of a sprightly young equine, the offspring of his Handy B. road mare, Lucy.

Mrs. Harriet A. Wadsworth, who has been visiting her children in this vicinity, has returned to the home of her daughter, Mrs. W. J. Sharp, at Red Creek.

Sam, I. Y. Upham's pet cat, has recently developed a great fondness for spring chickens, and greatly to Isaac's displeasure has been making that delicacy almost exclusive diet.

F. H. Blaubelt was quite severely injured recently by letting a four hundred pound roll of wire fencing fall on his foot and ankle. Only the softness of the ground on which he was standing prevented a broken ankle.

S. E. Caster for weeks has been carefully nursing an ingrowing toenail, and had about completed a cure when his cow, in a moment of thoughtlessness trod on the aforesaid toenail which has nearly put Steve out of commission.

Everett Caster is turning his attention to swine breeding, and after carefully studying the merits of the various breeds has chosen the Poland China. He has just purchased a fine specimen of that breed of the Tecumseh strain of a prominent Ohio breeder.

The L. B. D circle was entertained at the pleasant home of Mrs. M. H. Fenn last Saturday afternoon. The L. B. D's are to be congratulated on the fact that now in the fourth year of the circle's existence it is still intact with bright prospects for a pleasant and prosperous future.


Mrs. Bogart has company from Cato.

Mrs. Dalton, of Cato, is visiting relatives in town.

Miss Nina Cook, of New York, is visiting in Red Creek and vicinity.

Horatio Wood is home from the southern coast, visiting his mother.

Mr. and Mrs. Vaughn of Rochester, have been visiting friends in town.

Fred Maloney has moved into the Peterson house, which has been thoroughly renovated.

Mr. Legg has resigned his position as ticket agent at Red Creek, as he expects to try farming.

Mrs. Jessup, who has been spending a few days with her husband, has returned to Brockport.

There was no preaching service in the Presbyterian church last Sunday as Mr. Day was in attendance at the general assembly at Buffalo.

George A. Lee's Donaton to Sodus.

    George A. Lee, of Sodus, has made another donation towards improving the condition of the sidewalks in that village. He has arranged for the laying of cement walks from Main street on the east side of Carlton street to a point north of the rural cemetery, then west to Newark street, passing the cemetery, then north on the east side of Newark street to Main street, and on the south side of Main street to the Sodus High school building, meeting a long stretch of walk which continues to the village proper. The cost will be about $2,000. He has already spent several thousand toward beautifying the village.

Steamer Ideal Sold

    The steamer Ideal, Capt. W. H. Field, which for several years has been run as a ferry on Great Sodus bay, left last Thursday for Duluth, having been sold to parties from that city.

Bessie D. Barrick Dead.

Killed by Quick Consuption After an Illness of Seven Weeks.

    Miss Bessie E. Barrick, who lived with her uncle, Charles Dean, near Richardson's corners, died at noon on Tuesday of quick consumption.

    She had the measles three years ago, and the grip one year ago, but seemingly, had fully recovered her health, when she was taken down seven weeks ago.

    There was considerable doubt at first about her complaint. The physicans could not believe at first that her case had developed into consumption.

    Her age was 18 years, her birthday being the 17th of September. Her mother was Mrs. Dean's sister, and they had made it their home there for the last seventeen years, moving there from Sodus Center. For four years, while Bessie attended the Wolcott High-school, where she finished last June, they lived in this village.

    The funeral will be held from the house at 2 o'clock to-morrow afternoon, the interment being in the Leavenworth cemetery. It is expected that Rev. W. H. Latimer will officiate.

Another Blow For Joe Thorn.

David Belden Martin, His Employer, Died Suddenly Last Week.

    David Belden Martin, of Philadelphia, died last Monday night, after an illness of less than two days of pneumonia.

    Joseph W. Thorn, formerly of Wolcott, was superintendent of Mr. Martin's fruit and cold storage business, having charge of the storages at Philadelphia, Baltimore and Wilmington, Del.

    The deceased was president of the D. B. Martin company, the largest concern of its kind east of Chicago; president of the New York Sanitary Utilzation company, of New York; president New England Sanitary Product company, of Boston; a director in the Third National bank, the Pennsylvania Cold Storage and Market company and president and an officer of many other corporations.

    He was born in 1848 and was estimated to be worth $5,000,000. Joseph W. Martin, his only child was his associate in business. He died at his country place at Brandywine Summit, Pa.

Mrs. George H. Jeffers Dead

    The death of Mrs. George H. Jeffers, a sister of Mrs. Granville L. Armstrong, of Butler, is reported from Lincoln, Kansas. She formerly lived in the town of Rose. She died of consumption, and was 61 years of age.

Mrs. Lucy Marble's Funeral.

    The funeral of Mrs. Lucy Marble, of West Butler, who died last Thursday morning, aged 89 years, was held at 2 o'clock Saturday afternoon from the home of one of her daughters, Mrs. Abram Eygnor, of North Wolcott. The burial was in the Thorn cemetery.

    The body was taken to North Wolcott Saturday morning. This change was necessitated by the serious illness of Mrs. Martin Calkins, the sister at whose home Mrs. Marble died. Word was received here that another sister, who lives in Jefferson county, had had a stroke of paralysis lately and now is very ill. This sister is 92 years old.

Beat the Correspondence School.

    County Judge S. Nelson Sawyer handed down a decision Saturday in the case of the International Text-Book company against Anthony Murphy, affirming the judgement of justice's court, in which a verdict of no cause for action was rendered last year.

    tried before Justice of the Peace Luther S. Lake and a jury. The plaintiff, which is also the owner of the International Correspondence Schools, of Scrantion, Pa., sold Murphy a lot of books for a course in stationary engineering, which he had contracted to take.

    After making two payments of $15 the defendant refused to pay any more money and repudiated the contract, alleging fraud and misrepresentation on the part of the company's representative.

    The company sued to recover for the conversion of the text-books, which Murphy kept.

    The latter employed Attorney C.P. Williams to defend him and fought the case in Justice Lake's court with the result given. The company appealed from this judgment.

Albert Wells Will Move Next Month.

    Albert Wells has built a fine new piazza at his farmhouse on the Clyde road, Butler, and now has carpenters at work making interior changes. He expects to move there next month and will make it his permanent home, when the flat above his market in Wolcott will be rented.

    Rev. Frank G. Boylan will continue to reside there with his daughter and Mrs. John Wells. Next fall he may take a charge. He had an opportunity soon after his wife's death, but at that time was not in position to accept it.

Miss Chapple Goes To Hilton.

Her sister, Mrs. G. W. Ball, Came for Her on Monday.

    Mrs. G. W. Ball, of Hilton, arrived in Wolcott Monday noon. She had made arrangements to take her sister, Miss Beatrice Chapple, back with her. For the past few weeks, Miss Chapple had been at Andrew J. Kelly's house on East Port Bay street. For the last week they had been alarmed about her condition, and as a result Mrs. Ball was sent for.

    The original plan was to take the 1:58 train west on Monday, Miss Chapple was placed on a cot and taken in a carriage. She rode very comfortably, and stood the trip well. The train was held for ten minutes, but they did not get there in time even with that delay, arriving about five minutes after the train had gone.

    Miss Chapple was made comfortable at Connor's hotel until Tuesday morning, when they took the 7:12 train.

    Miss Chapple was taken to Hilton on a cot in the baggage car. She was accompanied by Dr. R. H. Watkins and A. B. Sabin, Sr. who returned yesterday.

    It is hoped that once rested from the trip, her condition may improve under the care of her sister.

Girl's Arm Broken In Runaway.

Serious Driving Accident to Irving Lash and family Last Friday.

    Irving Lash and family, of Wolcott, had a runaway accident on West Port Bay street last Friday afternoon, in front of Fred Fox's tenant house. He had with him in the carriage his wife and two children, and was driving a team of colts. They had been to visit at Andrew J. Kelly's and were on their way home.

    The horses saw colts running in the lot, and started to run with them, finally going so fast that Mr. Lash lost control of them.

    They ran into an orchard and struck an apple tree, the team parting as they struck. The harness was torn apart and the wagon was broken so they could not use it to get home.

    All were thrown out. One of the children, a girl nine years old, had an arm broken. Dr. J. J. Tillapaugh reduced the fracture at his office, where they all stopped on their way home. Mrs. Lash's back was somewhat bruised.


Willard, little son of Mr. and Mrs. W. E. Raynor, of Wolcott, was quite sick a couple of days last week with tonsillitis, and under the care of Dr. R. H. Watkins.

Dr. D. B. Horton, of Wolcott, went to Butler one day last week and cut off both tonsils for Miss Carrie Miller, whose parents live on the Patterson place.

Miss Ethel Pearsall, of Wolcott, who teaches the school at Stewart's corners, was taken ill Sunday night at the home of her father, William Pearsall. Dr. S. W. Houston, who is attending her, suspects that she has typhoid fever.

Mrs. T. J. Wise, of Wolcott, returned at 2 p.m. last Saturday from a visit to Fulton. Her daughter, aged thirteen months, was taken ill with pneumonia, and since her return has been seriously ill. Dr. J. J. Tillapaugh is in attendance. There has been no consolidation of the lung yet, and he is in hopes that there may not be.

Mrs. Kate Calkins, of West Butler, has been quite ill of liver trouble for the past week. Her sister, Mrs. Lucy Marble, died at her house a week ago to-day, and Mrs. Calkins was taken at about the same time, preventing the funeral being held there. Mrs. Calkins is 84 years old. She is being attended by Dr. J. J. Tillapaugh.

Raymond H. Kelly, of Wolcott, who has been laid up for the last month with imflammation of the knee joints, is gaining slowly. His physician keeps his knees blistered all the time, keeping on four that measure two by four inches. As fast as the old ones get so that he can live with them comfortably, they are taken off and new ones put on. [NOTE: this makes no sense, but this is the way it was written.]

Mrs. Leslie Brockway, of Wolcott, has not returned yet from Sterling Valley, where she is caring for her mother, Mrs. Belle Parish. When last heard from Mrs. Brockway said her mother was a trifle easier, and the trouble from gall stones was thought to have been passed. She was able, also to take a little nourishment which a week ago she was not about to do.

Charles H. Hurd, of Indianapolis, son-in-law of E. B. Dowd, of Wolcott, who is ill of typhoid fever, is doing fairly well. His physician has brought down his temperature nearly to the normal and is in hopes to hold it there. He looks to see the disease continue in its present mild form. Mr. Hurd had the disease once before, at Harrisburg, Pa., and it is thought he will not have it so hard on that account.

Drum Corps Rents a Hall.

    The Wolcott drum corps, of which E. T. Phillips is the leader, have rented Wiltford's opera house for practice Wednesday nights. They have fourteen members.

    The Rose drum corps of six have decided to join with them and will come here for practice twice a month, going away with them when they have a call.

    There will be considerable business for bands and drum corps this fall, growing out of the presidential campaign.

    The Wadsworth band, which has voted to disband, have money in their treasury to pay the little they owe.

Fishing at Port Bay.

Fine Strings of Pickerel Continue to Be Caught Every Day.

    The pickerel continue to be greedy at Port bay. Generally speaking the greater part of the fishing is on the heads, and there the fish are not large, averaging from 2 1/2 to 4 pounds. The big fish seem to have gone into deep waters. A few pike are being taken. The bass fishing will begin the 15th of June, and by that time the mooneyes will have entered the bay, when the pickerel fishing will end.

    Several parties were out last Thursday, C. E. Johnson, Rev. W. H. Latimer and Jay Salter took three small pickerel.

    Lee VanValkenburg and Postmaster A. C. Brink got nine pickerel and two pike, averaging from 2 1/2 to 3 pounds. They had their best luck with a spinner sword on which they strung live minnows.

    B. S. Wood and Roy Lefevre, who were working by the day at Russell's island, put in an hour fishing and landed two 3 pounders.

    Micheal Sennett and Milton E. Gates got five, weighing from 2 to 4 pounds, in an hour. Herb. Wellington and Fred Green, who were in the same party, got two.

    C. F. Van Valkenburg and John Otis went on Friday. Thye fished on the head, near Heald's, and took fourteen pickerel before 3 p.m. The fish averaged small, but there were four or five over four pounds. They think they would have broken the record had it not been for the rain in the afternoon. Once they took four in a row of less than a half mile.

    The same day Joel Fanning got three pickerel, weighing 1 1/2, 4 and 4 1/2 pounds.

    Charles S. Graves and W. V. Bidwell went to Loon Point late Friday afternoon. They got five fish in thirty minutes, and then it came on to rain and they quit.

    There were several, other parties at the bay the first of this week. M. E. Gates and Clark Foster caught, fifteen pickerel, several of them very large ones.

    Allie Westfall, Jesse Heit and C. H. Thomas took twelve.

    The bay is full of shiners and the pickerel are following the bait. Most of the fishing is still on the heads. They do not take hold as they did last week. Mooneyes have been seen, the outlet is open, and the spring pickerel fishing soon will be at an end.

    The lake perch are just beginning to take hold. After June 15 there amy be some good bass fishing.

    Last Saturday E. J. Cornwell, Principle L. H. Carris and Master Ralph Paddock took fifteen pickerel, the boy catching his full share.

    Joel Fanning and Edward T. Brown tried their luck Tuesday afternoon, getting three pickerel.

    An agent of the state fish commission arrived here at 2 p. m. yesterday with 250,000 yellow pike fry, which were liberated in Port bay. Application was made for the fry by Milton E. Gates, who also asked for 300,000 maskinonge fry.

COUNTY COURT, County of Wayne, Myrtle Seager, plaintiff, against Ida B. Davenport individually and as administrator of etc of Elisha J. Davenport, defendant.

    In pursuance of a judgment of foreclosure and sale. Duly granted in the above entitled action, and entered in Wayne County Clerk's office, on the 23 day of May, 1904, I. Joe Fanning, the undersigned Referee in said judgment named, will sell at public auction at the law office of

Horton & Brown, in the Village of Wolcott, County of Wayne, N.Y., on the 9th day of July, 1904, at 1 o'clock p. m., at the premises described in said judgment, as follows, viz: All that tract or parcel of land situate in the town of Huron, County of Wayne, and State of New York, being known and distinguished as the Cameron Tract in Williamson's Patent, and consisting of the west half of lot. Five Hundred and Forty (540) and Five Hundred and Forty-six (546) equally divided by a line running north and south through the center of said lots, the same containing eleven acres and twenty rods of land more or less and being the premises deeded to R. M. Pomeroy on the 6th day of December, 1860, and deeded to Elisha J. Davenport by Myrtle Seager the plaintiff herein, April 1st, 1896. This money of said premises.

    Dated at the Village of Wolcott, N. Y. this 24th day of the May, 1904.
                                Joe Fanning,
Horton & Brown, Plaintiff's Attorneys, Post Office Block, Wolcott, N. Y.

NOTICE TO CREDITORS TO PRODUCE CLAIMS---Pursuant to an ordor (sp) of S. N. Sawyer, Surrogate of Wayne county, notice is hereby given to all persons having claims against W. W. Paddock, late of Wolcott, in the county of Wayne, deceased, that they are required to present the same, with the vouchers thereof, to William H. Paddock, one of the executors of the said deceased, at the office of said executors, in Wolcott, on or before the 24th day of November A, D, 1904---Dated May 16, 1904.
WILLIAM H. PADDOCK, H.L. PADDOCK, Executors. Horton & Brown,
Attorneys for Executors

NOTICE TO CREDITORS TO PRODUCE CLAIMS---Pursuant to an order of S. N. Sawyer, Surrogate of Wayne county, notice is hereby given to all persons having claims against Margaret R. Church, late of the town of Wolcott, in the county of Wayne, deceased, that they are required to present the same, with the vouchers thereof, to William O. Church, the executor of the said deceased, at the residence of said William O/ Church, in the village of Wolcott, in said county, on or before the 24th day of June, A. D., 1904--Dated Dec. 15th, 1903.
E. H. Kellogg, Attorney for executor, Wolcott, N. Y.

STATE OF NEW YORK, County Court, County of Wayne, Gardner H. Northup, plaintiff, vs. Omar M. Curtis individually and as executor of the last will and testament of Helen E. Miers, deceased; Jennie A. Curtis, Nellie A. Curtis, George W. Miers, Josephine Miers, his wife; John W. Miers and Mrs. John W. Miers, his wife, whose first name is unknown and is hence designated as Mrs. John W.; George W. Miers, Jr., and Mrs. George W. Miers, his wife, whose first name is unknown and is hence designated as Mrs. George W.; Belle Miers Beatty, defendants.

    To the above named defendants: You are hereby summoned to answer the complaint in this action, and to serve a copy of your answer on the plaintiff's attorneys within twenty days after the service of this summons. Exclusive of the day of service: and in case of your failure to appear or answer, judgment will be taken against you by default for the relief demanded in the complaint.

Trial to be held in the County of Wayne, Dated this 10th day of May, 1904.

HORTON & BROWN, Plaintiff's Attorneys, Office & P.O. Address Wolcott, N. Y.

To George W. Miers, Josephine Miers, John W. Miers, Mrs. John W. Miers, George W. Miers, Jr., and Mrs. George W. Miers and Belle Miers Beatty, The foregoing summons is served upon you by publication pursuant to an order of Hon. S. N. Sawyer, Wayne County Judge, dated May 13th, 1904, and filed with the complaint in the office of the Clerk of the County of Wayne at Lyons, N. Y., May 16, 1904.

    The object of this action is the foreclosure of a mortgage on the John Miers farm situate in the town of Sodus, N. Y., containing 115 acres and owned by Jennie A. Curtis and Helen E. Miers at the time of the death of the said Helen E. Miers. Dated May 16th, 1904.
HORTON & BROWN, Plaintiff's attorneys, Wolcott, N.Y.

COUNTY COURT, WAYNE COUNTY---Marion P. Northup, Plaintiff, against The Presbyterian Church and Society of Wolcott, N. Y., George S. Horton and Della Horton his wife, Gardner H. Northup as Administrator of the etc. with will annexed of Samantha Cole, Allen Taylor and Harriet Taylor, Welsley Cole and Lilly Cole his wife, Manley Cole and Libbie Cole his wife, James Graham and Anna Graham his wife, Frank Graham and Mrs. Frank Graham his wife, whose first name is unknown and is hence designated as Mrs. Frank, Rachel Deviney, all the heirs at law and next of kin of an personal representatives if any of Samantha Cole and Peter Cole deceased, Fred Cole and Vina Cole his wife, and Harlow Deviney, Defendants:

    To the above named defendants: You are hereby summoned to answer the complaint of the above named plaintiff in this action and to serve a copy of your answer on the plaintiff's attorney within twenty days after the service of this summons, exclusive of the day of service, and in case of your failure to appear or answer, judgment will be taken against you by default for the relief demanded in the complaint.

Trial to be held in the County of Wayne.
EDWARD T. BROWN, Plaintiff's Attorney, Office & P. O. in Wolcott, N. Y.

Dated this 6th day of April 1904.
To Fred Cole, Anna Cole, Allen Taylor and Harriet Taylor and the heirs (missing text) law and next of kin and personal representatives, if any, of Smantha Cole and Peter Cole, deceased. The foregoing summons is served upon you by publication, pursuant of an order of Hon. S. Nelson Sawyer, County Judge of Wayne county, dated the 15th day of April, 1904, and filed with the complaint in the office of the said county of Wayne, in the said state. The object of this action is to foreclose two mortgages held by the above named Marion P. Northup, plaintiff, upon the lands hereinafter described of which Peter Cole and Samantha Cole were at one time owners and occupiers, to wit:

    All that tract and parcal (sp) of land situate in the village of Wolcott, in the county of Wayne, and state of New York, and bounded and described as follows: On the west side of Furnace street and immediately in front of the premises formally owned and occupied by A. S. Wood (Oct. 1st 1877) and being the same lot deeded by James Wright and wife to said Wood and by said Wood and wife back to said Wright and bounded on the north by the John Sherman lot so called, east by the center of Furnace street, south by the lot now occupied by W. P. Colvin and west by land owned by Henry S. Cornwell, references had to deed dated Oct. 1st 1877, made by Eugene M. Walker to Harriet Taylor.
Dated April 16th, 1904.
EDWARD T. BROWN, Plaintiff's attorney, Wolcott, N.Y.

THE PEOPLE OF THE STATE OF NEW YORK, By the Grace of God Free and Independent;-To William R. Cahoon, of Alton, Wayne Co., N. Y., Mary A. Fowler of Wolcott, Wayne Co. N. Y., Stephen D. Cahoon, of North Rose, Wayne Co. N. Y., R. Newell Cahoon, of Wolcott, Wayne Co. , N. Y., Addie Thompson, of No. Rose, Wayne Co., N. Y., Osman Cahoon, Saloma Payne, Minnie Cahoon, Stephen D. Cahoon, 2d, Frankie Cahoon, Evilena Cahoon, of Huron, Wayne Co., N. Y., Mary B. Cahoon of Rose, Wayne Co., N. Y., Roy E. Cahoon, and Linda E. Cahoon, of Wolcott, Wayne Co., N. Y., William Cahoon, 2nd, of Huron, Wayne Co., N. Y., Emma Orr, of Brookings, South Dakota, Nelia Barnard, of Waukon, Iowa, Flora Crawford, of Waukon, Iowa, Ed A. Newell, of 1130 Iowa street, Dubuque, Iowa, Dell Newell of Forsyth, Missouri, Ella Eaton, of Cresco, Iowa, Fred I. Newell, of 237 N. Central avenue, Austin Station, Chicago, Ill., Benjamin B. Newell, of 119 McKinnie street, Youngstown, Ohio, May Newell, of Waukon, Iowa, Sadie Metz, of 203 East Pine street, Albion, Michigan, Susamy Quimby, of Bronson, Branch Co. Michigan, Route 1, Mary Tyndall, (wife of George Tyndall) of Fremont, Newago Co., Michigan, Harriet Schwartz, of Bronson, Branch Co. Michigan, Phebe J. Quimby, of Quincy, Branch Co., Michigan, Nettie Drumm, of Peck, Sanilac Co., Michigan, box 35, Mrs. Laura Snyder, of Edgewater, Jefferson Co., Colorado, box 513, Libbie F. Olsen, of Cass Lake, Minnesota, Dora Clark, Dickinson, Stark Co., North Dakota, Walter Fowler, of Hankinson, North Dakota and May Sharood, 1024 Van Slyce avenue, St. Paul, Minnesota, send greeting:

    To all other creditors of and persons interested in the estate of Emily J. Newell, late of Wolcott, Wayne County, New York, deceased, send greeting:

    You and each of you are hereby cited and required personally to be, and appear before our Surrogate of our County of Wayne, at his office in the village of Lyons, in said county on the 11th day of July, 1904 at 10 o'clock in the forenoon of that day to attend the final judicial settlement of the accounts of Stephen D. Fowler and Charlie E. Cahoon, as executors of the will and estate of the said deceased.

    And you, the said Minnie Cahoon, Stephen D. Cahoon, 2d, Frankie Cahoon, Evilena Cahoon, Mary B. Cahoon, Roy E. Cahoon and Linda E. Cahoon, and all such of you as are hereby cited, as are under the age of twenty-one years, are hereby notified that unless you then and there appear by your General Guardian, the said Surrogate will at the time and place above named, appoint a competent and responsible person to appear as Special Guardian for you herein.

Given under my hand and the seal of the Surrogate's Court of the said County of Wayne, at Palmyra in said county this 20th day of May, A. D. 1904.
S. N. SAWYER, Surrogate.
E. H. KELLOGG, Attorney for the Executors, Wolcott, N. Y.

WAYNE COUNTY COURT--In the matter of the petition of Amos Nash to discharge a mortgage of record:
   To Mary Mellon, Mrs. Willis Wadsworth, E. E. Dempsey, C.C. Dempsey:
Whereas, Amos Nash has presented a petition to this court, duly verified, on the 5th day of May, 1904, praying that a certain mortgage of four hundred dollars, made executed and delivered(sp) by said Amos Nash to Amos C. Dempsen, now deceased, dated May 24, 1866, on real property situated in the town of Wolcott, Wayne Count, N. Y., and recorded in the Wayne County clerk's office on the 38th(?) day of May, 1866, in Book 57 of mortgages at page 377 which was paid more than 30 years ago, be discharged from record.

   It is ordered that you, and each of you, and all persons interested in said mortgage, show cause before me at a term of this court held at the Surrogate's office in the village of Lyons, Wayne, County, N. Y., oh the 6th day of June, 1904, at ten o'clock in the forenoon, or as soon thereafter as counsel can be heard, why said mortgage should not be discharged of record.

   It is further ordered that this order be published in the Lake Shore News, a newspaper published in the village of Wolcott, Wayne County, N. Y., for two weeks.
Dated May 10, 1904.
S. N. SAWYER, Wayne County Judge.
JOEL FANNING, Attorney for petitioner.

NOTICE TO CREDITORS TO PRODUCE CLAIMS---Pursuant to an order of S. N. Sawyer, Surrogate of Wayne County, notice is hereby given to all persons having claims against Seymour Henry, late of Huron, in the County of Wayne, deceased, that they are required to present the same, with the vouchers thereof, to Ella A. Henry, the executrix of the said deceased, at the residence of the said Ella A. Henry, in the town of Huron, in said county, on or before the 21st day of September, A. D., 1904.--Dated March 8, 1904.
ELLA A. HENRY, Executrix.
Anson S. Wood, Attorney for executrix, Wolcott, N. Y.

NOTICE TO CREDITORS TO PRODUCE CLAIMS--Pursuant to an order of Hon. S. N. Sawyer, Surrogate of Wayne county, notice is hereby given according to law to all persons having claims or demands against Hiram Woodruff, late of the town of Huron, Wayne county, N. Y., deceased, to present the same with the vouches there-of to Charles H. Woodruff, executor of the will of said deceased, at his residence in said town of Huron, N. Y., on or before the 3rd day of November, 1904. Dated April 27, 1904.
Anson S. Wood, Attorney for Executor, Wolcott, N. Y.

NOTICE TO CREDITORS TO PRODUCE CLAIMS--Pursuant to an order of S. N. Sawyer, Surrogate of Wayne county, notice is hereby given to all person having claims against Sarah L. Fox, late of Butler, Wayne Co., N. Y., deceased, that they are required to present the same, with the vouchers thereof, to Andrew J. Fox, the executor of said deceased, at his residence in Butler, N. Y., on or before the 20th day of October, 1904.    Dated May 12, 1904.
ANDREW J. FOX, Executor
Anson S. Wood, Attorney for executor, Wolcott, N. Y.

NOTICE TO CREDITORS TO PRODUCE CLAIMS--Pursuant to and order of S. N. Sawyer, Surrogate of Wayne county, notice is hereby given to all persons having claims against Lawrence Van Vleck, late of Butler, Wayne co., N. Y., deceased, that they are required to present the same, with vouchers thereof, to Andrew J. Fox, surviving executor of said deceased, at his residence in Butler, N. Y., on or before the 29th day of October 1904. Dated April 20th, 1904.
ANDREW J. FOX, Surviving Executor
Anson S. Wood, Attorney for executor, Wolcott, N. Y.


H. J. Ferris is ill.

C. C. Colburn of Newark, spent last Sunday in time.

Mrs. B. D. Brewster spent part of last week in Rochester.

Miss Josephine Closs in spending some time in Lockport.

Rev. T. J. Searls attended the general assembly at Buffalo.

Squire Bryant, of Wallington, is visiting his daughter, Mrs. E. D. Winchell.

Mrs. Julia Milem, of Alton, has been a recent visitor in town.

L. S. Town has been in the western part of the state on business this week.

Miss Nina Sherman, visited her sister, Mrs. Tunis Fowler, of Junius last week.

J. J. Closs, of Cleveland, a former Rose boy, called on friends in town last week.

James Armstrong, Jr. of Syracuse, was the guest of his parents over last Sunday.

Mrs. Gardner Barrett, of Alton, visited her daughter, Mrs. Ernest Decker, last week.

Mrs. G. A. Collier, who is at Myres' hospital in Sodus, is report steadily improving.

Mrs. O. J. Morelock and daughters and Miss Pearl Milner have returned to Lockport after several days' visit in town.

Union Memorial services will be held at the Presbyterian church on Sunday. The pastor, the Rev. T. J. Searls, will deliver the address.

News of the death of Arthur Miner, son of William Milner was received here this week. Death was caused by drowning near one of the lumber camps of northern Michigan.

Rev. Matthew Gaffney, of Williamson, will be the speaker at the Memorial day services on Monday, and the Rose male glee club and the Clyde band will furnish music.


L. S. Towne Settles with a Man Who Owed Him a Carload of Chops.

[Transcriber's Note: I believe this is the same L. S. Town in the above ROSE column]

    A suit at law of interest to apple men was settled out of court last Friday. In the fall of 1902, L. S. Towne, of Rose, brought a carload of chops from O. A. Huff, of Kent, Orleans county, to be delivered Nov. 1 that year.

    Chops went up, and Huff didn't deliver the goods. Last summer Mr. Towne directed George S. Horton, of Wolcott, to sue. An offer to settle for $150 was refused by Huff, so an action was brought for failure to comply with the contract to sell, which was to have come on at the present term of court.

    At the last moment Huff offered to pay $100 and cost, which offer was accepted.

Making Twelve Cheeses a Day.

    Wesley Bird, cheese maker at the Cold Spring factory, Huron, made twelve cheeses a day all week, and within a week or ten days, if the feed continues to improve, expects to be making twenty cheese a day.

    Twelve cheeses means 4,000 pounds of milk a day. The present price is 7 3/4 cents a pound. A year ago at this time cheese was worth about 9 cents, or perhaps a little more than that. The lower price is accounted for by the large quantity of cold-storage and hay cheese on the market. Higher prices are looked for later in the season.

Sharp Competition in Calf Buying.

    There has been sharp competition in the buying of calves in the Wolcott market, so sharp that is understood that some money has been lost. Last Saturday a high as five cents a pound was paid, but since then 4 1/2 cents has been the top offer. Granville L. Armstrong is paying that figure.

    James Stubley, who has been buying for Burke Bros., of Clyde, has had a misunderstanding with them, and on Tuesday was threatening to bring a lawsuit.

The contributor and site coordinators have no information about individuals or events listed. We thank you in advance for not emailing us but directing ALL questions to the Office of the County Historian, or finding this issue on microfilm.

Back to Town of Wolcott Section

Created: 11/18/06
Copyright © 2006 Diana Niedermeier
Wayne County NYGenWeb
This Site is a County Site of the USGenWeb Project
All Rights Reserved.