Part 5
Wayne County, N.Y.

Contributed by Allyn Hess Perry, from papers at the Office of the County Historian.

The Commercial Press was a monthly newspaper from Pultneyville, Town of Williamson. The Office of the County Historian has a small bundle of issues. A small part of the paper was devoted to Personal Items, listing various names of people from the area.

There is some fascinating reading about the Lake Ontario shipping trade in the 1860s, and neat ads for businessess from all over the place in these papers. There was quite a schedule of ships from Pultneyville to Charlotte to Toronto, naming ships and captains (the new ferry runs between Charlotte/Rochester and Toronto.) Not to be ignored in this paper are the railroad schedules, with stops in Palmyra, Oswego, Syracuse. And the Pultneyville & Palmyra Stage. "Leave daily at 6:45am - Arriving at 7:30pm connection at Palmyra with the N.Y.C.R. Road, Going West at 9:46a.m. and 4:20p.m. Going East at 11:20a.m. and 4:20p.m." The obits aren't detailed but give such an essence of the way life was. Spellings and misspellings are exactly as in the original paper.

Allyn Hess Perry
Co-coordinator, Wayne County NYGenWeb
June 2004

June 1862
July 1862
August 1862
September 1862
October 1862
November 1862
December 1862


June 1862

FIRE AT WILLIAMSON - A destructive fire occurred at Williamson, on Monday eve., May 26th, destroying Casees Hotel, and barn, together with about 200 cords of wood. Hollis Johnson's house and barn, west of the hotel, were also burned - upon which he had an insurance. Mr. Case had an insurance of about $1200. It will be a heavy loss for him. It is supposed to be the work of an incendiary. A reward of fifty dollars has been offered for any information in regard to the sobbing or crying of a female, heard just before the fire broke out. A subscription paper is in circulation, to aid Mr. Case in the erection of a new Hotel; we learn that they have raised about $500.

78th Regiment, N.Y. Volunteers,

Washington, D.C., May 14, 1862

Friend Reynolds - I know you are fond of relics, and as I had the opportunity of picking up a piece of the "notorious" steamer Merimac, day before yesterday I enclose you a small piece. I had quite a block, but have divided it until it is small, and distributed among my friends.

Regards to your family, also your father.

Respectfully yours,

A.F. Sheldon


Benedict-Burk - On Sunday, March 4th, by Geo. W. Miller, Esq., Mr. William Benedict, to Miss Phoebe S. Burk, both of Webster, N.Y.

Ridgeway-Fleming - On Thursday, May 16, by Rev. Mr. ___, Mr. Job Ridgeway, to Miss Margaret Fleming, both of Williamson.

-James B. Craggs has commenced the building of his brick house, on the site of the old one.

-Mrs. H.G. Higgins has built a new fence in front of her residence, and is to have blinds, added to the house.

-Stephen White, of Sodus Point, has lost a daughter, aged 5 years, of the scarlet fever. The funeral was attended by a large number of friends, on Sunday, May 26th.

-Joseph Gazlay is about ready to raise his new barn, and if he does it up right as it should be - and we think he will, it will decidedly make a better appearance than it has for the past few years.

-Aaron Brewer, has made a great improvement on his premises, by painting and putting blinds on to his house at the corner of Washington and Jay sts.

-Alfred Allen on the corner opposite Brewer, is painting and hanging blinds to his house; also in connection with others, setting out shade trees on both sides of Jay st. Let others follow their example.


July 1862

The Stage Route - Gates & Nottingham have put a new Stage on this route, to run through the summer Months. Charles Robinson, the gentlemanly driver, will continue to run it as heretofore.

A Select School - Miss Hattie Todd, will commence a Select School in this village, about the first of October next, which we shall notice in due time. Hattie is well qualified as a teacher, lady-like in her deportment, and respected by all that know her.

The Ladies Meeting - The Ladies of the village met at the residence of Henry Gloyd, on Monday eve., June 20th; and the following were appointed as the Committee for the table on the Fourth of July. Mrs. J.S. Todd; Mrs. E.W. Gloyd; Mrs. L.S. Cuyler; Mrs. H.G. Higgins; Miss S.M. Todd; Miss Nellie Pallister; Miss Jennie Cornwall; Miss Basha Wilson, Miss Eunice Allen, Mrs. Henry Gloyd and Mrs. A.W. Higgins.

The Fourth of July - The Fourth is to be celebrated at this place, this year, in the "old fashioned way," and the net proceeds are to be expended in the improvement of our harbor. - Lieut. John Brown, of the 8th Cavalry regiment, N.Y.S.V., is to be the Marshall of the day; and he will fill the post the best of any body that could be selected, and please the crowd that will be present on that day. Hon. S.C. Cuyler, is selected as reader, and Leo Miller, as orator, assisted by Rev. Wm. Potter, as Chaplain. The Glee Club will be present on the occasion, A.G. Austin, as their leader; the Newark Brass and String Band have been engaged for the day and evening, composed of eighteen Musicians, and all young men and are pronounced by the best judges, to be the finest band in Western N.Y. A dinner will be served to all those wishing refreshments, by the committee for the Harbor Co. The steamer Ontario will make excursions through the day. The whole to conclude with fireworks, and a grand ball in the evening.

All those wishing to participate in the celebration of our National Independence, and help us along in our Harbor improvement, are respectfully invited to attend.

The Fourth at Clyde - G.C. Borraidale is to have a Dance on that day in the new Town Hall. It is a large building, capable of accommodating 100 couple at a time. The Music will be good, and the supper - A No. 1.


-W. Upenheimer and John Baker, have started a Cigar Factory at Kingston, C.W.

-Capt. H.N. Throop, and lady, left for Alex. Bay, on the steamer Cataract, Saturday, June 7.

-B. Todd & son, arrived at home from New York, on Sunday morning, June 8th.

-James Benton, and family, of Ithica (sic), arrived in town, Tuesday, eve., June 10th.

-Mr. Pomeroy Tucker, and lady, of Palmyra, were in town, on Friday, June 13th.

-Rev. Jas. Gregg's Wife, has deeded her house and lot at Williamson, to Rev. A. Pryne's wife.

-Henry Douville, left for Ogdensburgh on Friday morning, June 13th, and returned the 17th June.

-Wm. Leaver has been appointed Captain of the schr. Glen Cuyler. He is fitting her out, and will be ready for sea soon.

-John Pallister, has had a very severe attach of the Rheumatism, but is now out again.

-Lois Cook, daughter of Col. Wm. Johnson, of Heart Prarie, Wis., and formerly of this town, arrived June 8th.

-W.R. Throop and J.W. Powers, were the Grand jurors from this town, at the last session of the County Court.

-H. Auchampach and family, T. Scott Ledyard and Wife, A.A. Cornwall's Wife, arrived home from Alex. Bay on the Str. Ontario, Friday, June 27th.


Woodhull - Abryan - On Tuesday morning June 24th Mr. William W. Woodhull, son of E.R.W, of this place, to Miss Kate O. Bryan, both of Philadelphia, Pa. They arrived in town on June 26.


August 1862

THE NEWARK HOTEL - This House has recently been erected in the village of Newark, N.Y., built of brick, three stories high, and finished throughout in a most superb manner. Joseph K. Chipps is the proprietor. Such a house as this, has long been needed at this village. His advertisement will appear in our next issue.

REWARD - While the steamer Bay State was entering the port of Pultneyville, on Wednesday, July 9th, I accidentally lost my Hat off from my head into the lake. It was a fine wool hat, drab color - any one returning said hat to me, will be entitled to four drinks, except it be Capt. E.H.T., when the reward will be doubled.

N.P. Wooley

Str. Bay State


George E. Curlis, Buffalo, July 1st; T.F. Lyman and wife 5th; Dr. Ostram, Alton, 8th; Miss Jennie Pallister, Oswego, 8th; Mrs. Capt. J.H. Ledyard, Mr. Ellis' wife, Oswego, str. Cataract, 12th; Hemingway, Wool Factor, Utica, 13th; S.C. Cuyler and wife, Rochester, 12th; H.M. Griffen and daughter, Syracuse, 12th; H.T. Wilcox, Ticket Agent, "Ontario Steam Boat Co.," Rochester, str. Bay State, 14th; Capt. S.D. Tomkinson, (schr. Kingsford,) str. Ontario, 18th. Mrs. Capt. H.N. Throop and Miss Mary Durfee, from Ogdensburgh, H.T. Wilcox, Oswego, Florence Ward, Alex. Bay, str. Bay State, 19th; Miss Morley and a lady, Sodus Point, P. Gorman, Joseph Douville, Oswego, str. Bay State, 23; J.M. Reynolds Capt. A.A. Holling, D. Ellis, of Oswego, Miss White Sodus Point, Georgia Timerson, Oswego, str. Bay State, 26th; Mrs. Farewell, Dr. H.R. Moses; wife, stage.


Leo Miller's sister, Mt. Morris, str. Cataract, July 7th; Lieut. Todd's wife and family, of Corning, N.Y., str. Bay State, 5th; Kelogg, Ogdensburgh, str. Cataract, 7th; F. Lyman and wife, Notion Peddler, 7th; Hon. S.C. Cuyler and wife, Rochester, str. Cataract, 10th; H.M. Griffen and daughter, Syracuse, stage 11th; Miss Morley, Sodus, str. Bay State, 132dth; Mary and Jennie Cornwall, to Alex. Bay, pr. Str. Cataract, 14th; Glen Cuyler, to Oswego, pr str. Cataract, 14th; B. Lummis and family, Sodus, str. Ontario, 15th; Z. Burnell, schr. Kingsford, Chicago, 18th; P. Gorman, Oswego, str. Bay Shore, 9th; J.M. Reynold's wife, Miss H.B. Griffen, Rochester, str. Ontario, 22d; Mrs. Mary Farewell, Mr. H.R. Moses, Sodus, Capt. A.A. Holling, Geo. M. Cole, Rochester, str. Ontario, 25th; Mr. D. Ellis, Oswego, str. Cataract.

PERSONAL - H.T. Wilcox, Ticket Agent of the "Ontario Steamboat Co.," has so far recovered his health, as to be able to return to his Office, by Thursday's boat, July 31st.


My Dear Parents: - You have no doubt, heard of the Battle of "Seven Pines," and of course are anxious about me. Well, strange to say, I escaped without a scratch. I with the rest of my com'ny were on picket guard, from Friday, at 4 P.M., until the rebels drove us in. It rained all Friday night and Saturday morning until 9 o'clock. At 11 o'clock several shells buzzed past us, and burst in our camp. We pickets kept a sharp lookout and I soon heard the guard on the right fire, pop, pop, pop, along the whole line of pickets. I was on the left, not far from camp, opposite a road that runs up in the woods. As soon as the pickets fired, the rebels fired a volley into them, but all this time I saw no rebels, but they soon appeared through the woods in front of me, about 3 rods off. There were three of us on our post. We fired at them, and then retired into the 81st regiment, which was drawn up in line of battle about 10 rods off. I stood in that regiment about an hour. Their loss is heavy. The balls whistled about my ears as close as I wished. Men fell on all sides of me. Along the whole line the firing was heavy. Our division consisted of but 6000, opposed to 30,000 rebels, mad with whiskey, and no reinforcements within two miles. We held our ground until our ranks were so thinned, that we had to retreat. Most of the wounded were hit in the legs or arms. Every man that was wounded, took two men to carry him off the field, so that our ranks were thinned very fast. We had a hard time to get back to our camp. Some of our company were wounded, and some missing, but I am happy to say, that not one of the Williamson boys was hurt. We got back in time to join in the last stand made in front of our camp, but it was of no use; they were too strong for us. - Our artillery, with grape and canister, mowed them down like grain; but they kept closing up the gaps as fast as they were made. They were advancing through the woods, and we were in the open plain; they out flanked us on both flanks, and of course, we had to retreat. This we did, step by step, disputing every inch of the ground. Our retreat was through woods, and we had no time to get our baggage, so we lost everything, knapsacks, haversacks, overcoats, all, except our arms and equipments. The rebels occupied our camp that night, and dressed themselves in our new clothes; for you must know that many of our men had just drawn new pants and jackets, or shirts, or socks, or some other article of clothing.

On Sunday we were reinforced, and drove the rebels back at the point of the bayonet; but they carried away our tents, and every thing of any value to us, and what they could not take, they burned. Cassey's men held their ground for 3 or 4 hours; it is thought by all, that the enemy's loss is three to our one, and for this reason: the rebel artillery fired over our heads, and while their infantry were armed with muskets, and fired round balls and buck shot; our men had rifles, with minnie balls; our men took good aim, and fired volley after volley, keeping up a continuous fire. You never heard musketry - I can give you no idea of it. The balls whistled by our ears all the time. Men with frightful wounds were carried off the field every moment. Trees were shot down by cannon balls. It was an awful time; but no one seemed afraid. After the first round, a strange feeling took possession of us. I loaded and fired with as much precision as ever I did. - After Cassey had held his ground as long as he could, he retired from the field, leaving it to Couch's division, and others to take their place, we retired in good order, marched back 2 miles, and camped for the night. Next morning, Sunday, we marched toward the battle field, to the reserve, but did not go into action again. On Monday, the 98th was sent to guard some fords in the White Oak swamp, about four miles to the left of the battle field. We got along very well the first night, for it was fine weather, but the next night it rained very hard, and we were wet to the skin. We did the best we could, but then we were out of rations, and between freezing and starving, we fared very hard. The next afternoon we were relieved by another regiment. We marched back to the brigade, and found that they had gone to Bottom's Bridge, five miles from the battle field; so we marched here and joined the division once more. Here we are, two miles from Bottom's Bridge, and fourteen miles from Richmond. I can't tell how long we may stay here, but think it will be long enough to get our new clothes, knapsacks, &c., and to get rested. We have built shanties for ourselves, and have large fires at night, so we get along after a fashion. - But as long as we have to lie out of doors, without tents or blankets, we will not be put on duty, and of course will not be pushed forward again, so there are plenty of fresh troops in the field. Cassey's division, is made up of new recruits, and has been pushed ahead with our old troops. We have gone hungry, and been kept on a continued march ever since we left fort Monroe; we have borne all these hardships without a murmur; but we now need rest and quiet for a space of time, for we are a weak and sickly set. When we marched through Albany and Washington, we were called the best regiment that had left the Empire State. They would not know us now. I am enjoying very good health, all things considered. I stand it as well as any of the rest; but the stoutest is not half as stout as when we left fort Monroe. But we live in hopes of better things.



September 1862

A SAD AFFAIR - Rev. A. Pryne, of this town, came to a heartrending death, by cutting his throat with a razor, on Friday evening, Sept. 19th. He has been sick for several days with Typhoid fever; and during the time the fever was on, got out of bed and went to the cupboard, got his razor and done the fatal deed; and in his dying struggle, the person that was watching him awoke, but it was too late. The funeral was at his residence on Sunday the 21st, at 2 p.m. Rev. A. Stanton preached the funeral discourse.


-Mrs. Samuel Ledyard jr. is expected in town in a few days.

-A.A. Cornwall returned from New York on the 19th, inst.

-Jennie and Mary Cornwall came home from Alexandria Bay Aug. 16th.

-John Jones of Adrian, Michigan arrived in town Friday Aug. 15th, and returned the 20th.

-A. Cornwall's Wife and family of Alexandria Bay arrived on the Str. Bay State the 6th.

-Chas. Cornwall and Wife of Canada, came in on the Steamer Cataract the 16th.

-A. Holling has been receiving the past season a large quantity of Pine Lumber and Shingles.

-H.M. Griffen of this village, Thos. Fish and Wm. Clark south of us had their clothes line robbed a few nights since.

-Thomas McCaffre 2d. Engineer of the Str. Bay State is about to take out a Pattent on lighting matches, which is sure every time.

-Mr. H.W. Wilcox formerly Ticket Agt. Of the "Ontario Steamboat Co." at Rochester, has been appointed Clerk of the Steamer Cataract.

-Rev. Wm. Potter Methodist Clergyman of this place, has raised a company of men, and has been appointed as Captain. They are in camp at Auburn.

-Miss Nellie Pallister arrived home from Oswego the 20th, having been absent about four weeks, accompanied by Miss Louisa Mills and brother of Oswego.

-Rev. E.O. Hall the Methodist minister appointed for this place, preached his first sermon in this village on Sunday the 21st, to a crowded house.

-Mrs. Wm. H. King and Mrs. Osterhout of Lyons have opened a Millinery and Dress Making establishment at that place. They have displayed good taste in their selections.

-Capt. J.B. Estes of the Str. Ontario has been confined to his home for some time, he is improving so rapidly that he has taken command of the Boat again.

-Frank Johnson, son of Horatio B. Johnson, Tanner, and formerly of this village, died at Key West, of yellow fever. He was a member of the Brigade Band.

-Richard H. Wilber arrived in town Friday Ev'ng 19th, having been absent for several years. He has been with the Rebels for some time, and gives a hard account of them.

-J.W. Gates of Ontario, has received the appointment of Assessor for this Senatorial District. A more judicious selection could not have well been made for the office, as all will testify, who are personly acquainted with the appointee.

-Orman Archer of Palmyra, Rev. A. Pryne, and Leo Miller of this town addressed a Mass Meeting on the Methodist Camp ground in this place on Sunday the 7th, about 1000 persons were present.

-Gates & Nottingham will not hold themselves responsible for money sent over the stage route between here and Palmyra at the regular errand rates; but will be responsible for it at 25 cts. pr hundred dollars. If not otherwise expressed at the time of transit it will be at the owners risk.

-The following appointments are taken from the Palmyra Courier, as made by the General Conference, at its annual session which has just closed at Rochester. Palmyra, J.T. Arnold; East Palmyra, J.C. Hitchcock; Newark, David Nutton; Macedon, J. Northway; Walworth, James Landreth; Pultneyville, E.O. Hall; Fairville, W.B. Holt; Lyons, Thomas Stacy; Clyde, K.W. Jervis; South Sodus, O. Trobridge; Sodus, Geo. E. Havens.


Pultneyville, October 1862


PRYNE - At his residence in this town, on the morning of the 29th of Sept., 1862, the Rev. Abram Pryne, in the 40th year of his age, after a short, but severe illness, which seriously impaired his mental powers.

(A long obituary follows)

The deceased left a wife and four children, and an aged father just bending over the grave, to mourn upon their sad bereavement. S.C.C.


-Leo Miller left on the 13th, inst. For St. Lawrence Co. to spend a few weeks.

-Dr. E.L. Barnard left for Oswego Oct. 13th, and returned the 16th.

-Alonzo Gazlay and wife arrived in Town Saturday, Oct. 25th, and left the 28th.

-Mrs. Henry Ward jr. of Seneca Falls has been here on a short visit.

-John Craggs has exchanged his house and lot, with Mr. Billings of Walworth, for a mill site.

-Curlis C. Lewis has taken up his residence in this town again.

-H.T. Wilcox has been confined to the house for some time, caused from a bronchial affection.

-Miss Sophia Wilcox arrived in town Saturday evening the 18th. Inst.

-Miles Landing of Sodus, lost his daughter Ellen, of Diptheria, she was buried Oct. 26th.

-Miss Hattie L. Todd has commenced a Select School in the village, and has about twenty scholars.

-Capt. Wm. Potter while in town a short time since, fell and bruised his side considerable.

_John Carles, the forman in A. Holling's Planing Mill, accidently caught his hand in one of the saws and mangled it badly, loosing three fingers.

-Enoch Mount (son of R.R. Mount of this town) died of a fever, in the army. His funeral was at the Ridge Chapel, Sunday, Oct. 26th.

_Mrs. Jacob Truax is very sick, not expected to live, she has had several strokes of the palsy, the past summer.

-V. Rice of Sodus, D.E. Wilcox of this town, and Trumble of Marion, has the contract for building our new stone bridge.

-Ledyard S. Cuyler says of the persons enlisted from this town for the war, four fifths are Republicans.

-D.S. Mack's letter from the seat of war will be found on our first page, and very interesting for a short one.

-D.T. Grandin of this place is sick in the hospital at Chicago, he is with the regement that was paroled at Harpers Ferry.

-James Sheffield (son of John Sheffield) was married to Miss Addie Rhodes (daughter of John Rhodes) all of this place, on Thursday, Oct. 23rd, by Rev. E.O. Hall.

-John Watt formally of this town, arrived in Kirkcaldy, Scotland, Aug. 29th, after a passage of twenty-six day. He is in poor health, not being able to work, owing to a weakness in the limbs.

-E.W. Lawrence has moved in the Hotel, at Sodus Corners.

-John N. Reeves will leave for the seat of war about the first of next month. He has been recruiting in this town for some time.

-B.J. Woodhull (son of E.R. Woodhull) sat up the type for this number, he having never been in an office until he came here, about the first of September.

-Jacob Pearsall of Williamson has received the appointment as Sub Assessor for this District, comprising this town and Marion, under the new tax law. It is a good appointment, and will please all who were not selfish enough to want it themselves.

-Mrs. Joseph Granger of Naperville, Ill. Died on the 5th inst, in the 84th year of her age. Mrs. G. will be remembered by many in Pultneyville, particularly by those belonging to the M.E. Church. She will also be remembered by her acquaintances as a neighbor, a mother, a friend to the stranger, and a christian.


Naperville, Oct. 12th, 1862


Pultneyville, November 1862

-Hon. T.M. Pomeroy will please accept our thanks for Public Documents received.

-The Schr. Glen Cuyler went into winter quarters at this place Nov. 22nd.

-Winter Quarters - The Ontario Steamers, Ontario, & Bay State have gone into winter quarters, at Charlotte.

-The Mill Street Side Walk of this village, declared a divider of about two rods in length. Will be done with it next.

-Three Dollars in cash will buy one bottle of Ayer's Sarsaparilla, one bottle of Ayer's Cherry Pectorial, and board one day at Ayer's Hotel in Rochester: "Why will ye die!"

-GODEY for November - This Magazine for Nov. has been received, and the contents is as good, if not superior to the former number. Subscribe for it at once.

-The next number closes the second volume of our paper. We shall be obliged to raise the subscription price after Jan. to 15 cents per year strictly in advance.

-Sodus Academy - We received a circular from the President of the Board of Trustees of Sodus Academy, stating that the winter term of that institution commenced Tuesday, Nov. 25th.

-Winter Arrangement - The winter arrangement of the N.Y.C.R.R. went into effect Monday Nov. 17th. We have not as yet received the time table, but they run very nearly the same as last winter, leaving Palmyra, going west at 9:46 A.M. and 4:20 P.M. going east at 8:00 A.M. 11:20 A.MN. And 4:20 P.M.

-First Annual Festival - The first annual festival for the benefit of the "Newark Cornet Band" came off at the Newark Hotel Thursday Dec. 4th. Circumstances prevented our attendance on the occasion.


Died - At the residence of Capt. H.N. Throop, in Pultneyville, on the morning of Nov. 26th, 1862, Horatio T. Wilcox, son of Lysander B. Wilcox, of Napoli, Cataraugus Co., and grand son of Samuel Ledyard, aged 21 years, after a brief illness, with consumption, which he bore with patience and composure. He was born in Napoli, but came here when a mere boy, and has lived with his uncle, Capt. Throop, all the after years of his short sojourn on earth. He was early educated to walk in the path of virtue and religion, and to seek the society of the virtuous and the good. It is due to the memory of the departed, to say that he followed those instruction, and profited by the example set him. He was honest. Industrious and prudent in the disposition of his means he had already accumulated, by the aid of his uncle and his own attention to business, being engaged for the last two or three seasons in the office of the Ontario Steamboat Company at Rochester. He was endeared to all who knew him, and had become very popular among those with whom he associated. It is sad to see excellent young men like the subject of this notice, stricken down in the morning of life, just entering the active and responsible duties of ripened manhood, becoming a blessing to their friends and an ornament to society, to witness their brightest prospects for this world blasted in a moment by the rentless hand of death.- Yet, those who mourn the loss of such loved ones, can draw rich consolations from the contemplation of the thought, that Life is continuous. And, though these choice buds of promise are nipped in early morn, before the rising sun of their glory had shone forth to beautify and adorn their characters, and gratify our pride, or contribute to our pleasure, nevertheless, they have only left their home on earth for their home above; gone where they will find ample room for expansion of their powers, and where the advantages for their improvement will be greatly increased, and their fields of usefulness enlarged. Where, too, they may become ministering angles, commissioned on errands of mercy to the lower world, guiding our footsteps in the ways of virtue, and benevolence, smoothing our pathway to the grave; and at last, when our hour shall come, welcome us to their bright home among the blest. Horatio's death was peaceful and happy. By thought and reflection, for some time previous, he seemed to have prepared himself for his great change. He was calm and composed in his last hours. Calling his friends around him, he bade them severally an affectionate farewell, and while he spoke of hearing voices, which were doubtless spirit messengers, and while he looked upon those angel forms, his spirit sweetly passed away to join the heavenly throng. He has left a father, brothers and sisters, with other near relatives, and a large circle of friends, who deeply mourn his early departure.


Pultneyville, Nov. 30, 1862

DIED - In Williamson, Wayne Co. N.Y. on the 21st instant, Sarah C. Rogers, wife of William H. Rogers, aged 48 years.

A pure, true-hearted, noble christian woman has gone to her everlasting reward. Possessed of the brightest gems of lovely womanhood - uniform amiability, steadfast affection, confiding trust and generous Christianity - her life was an example of truth in its simplicity, of goodness in its purity, of usefulness without pretension, love in its gentile meekness, and virtue without blemish or conceit. Patient under suffering, her christian fortitude was unfaltering to the last. Living, she was beloved by all who knew her - happy in affection received and love impartial. Now that she has gone, her stricken relatives, and sorrowing friends, while mourning her departure, will cherish the memory of her virtues, and profit by the example of her useful and beautiful character.


(Troy Daily Times)


-Leo Miller returned from the east on the 17th.

-W.H. Waters came home for the winter on Thursday, the 13th. Inst.

-Daniel Grandin died at his residence in this town on Tuesday Nov. 25th.

-John Jones of Adrian, Michigan, arrived in town Nov. 8th.

-Mrs. Wakeman (sister of Lee Miller Esq. Of this place,) of Mich. Is spending a few weeks here.

-Mrs. Oscar Macumber and son of Ohio (formaly of this place) is now here on a visit for a short time.

- H.D. Rosenburgh of Rochester have not the finest Jewelry Store in Western New York. Do not fail to give him a call when you visit the city.

-Joseph Gazlay of this village and Wm. Case of Williamson, have at last received a license for the sale of spirituous liquors.

-Hon. Wm. O. Duval of Port Byron, arrived in town Thursday evening, Nov. 18th, and returned home Monday the 24th.

-Daniel Grandin raised a squash the past sea that measured six feet in circumfrence, and weighed one hundred and ten pounds.

-James K. Chipps, propritor of the Newark Hotel, Newark, N.Y. His advertisement will be found on our first page.

-Mrs. W.H. Rogers of this town died of a cancer, Saturday morning, Nov. 22nd. Her funeral was on Sunday, the 23rd, at the Union Church, in this village.

[Transcriber's Note: regarding typos. Please recall that a new typesetter who'd not worked in the industry started working for the paper the previous month.]


December 1862

-The following seamen have returned home for the winter. Capt. J.T. Holling, Capt. A.A. Holling, Capt. J. Henry Gloyd, Capt. S.D. Tomkinson, Capt. Wm. J. Leaver, Capt. E.H. Todd, Capt. J.B. Todd, Capt. S. Roys, Capt. W.H. Roys, Martin H. Ham, wheelsman of the Str. Bay State, William Fleming, Mervin V. Pallister, Albert A. Pallister, Z. Burnell, John S. Sheffield, John Case, E. H. Higgins, Geo. Graves, and Jacob Duning.


-Mrs. Virginia Ledyard and daughter arrived in town Friday evening, Dec. 5th.

-Miss Hoad of West Walworth, is in the place on a visit to H.M. Griffen's.

-Capt. J.H. Ledyard and lady are spending the winter in Rochester, at the Lawrence House.

-Peter Van Driest (formerly of this place,) came down from the west on a short visit on Monday December 1st.

-R. Reynolds had his clothing store broke open again on Tuesday night, December 2nd, and about $100 worth of goods taken out.

-Wm. Case is to dedicate his new Hotel at Williamson New Years eve, in the shape of a "hop." Let all attend that can.

-Miss Nellie Poppinoe (daughter of the late John Poppinoe,) was married to Mr. Charles B. Price, of Lyons, Dec. 10.

-John Adams, on the ridge west of Williamson corners, has lost a child with the small pox; others of the family have had it slightly.

-Edward Josee (son of Peter Josee,) has returned home from a whaling voyage, after an absence of five or six years.

-Mrs. Isaac Webb (formerly of this village) is down from Michigan on a visit, and will return next spring. She is stopping with her sister, Mrs. Derastus Seely.

-R.A. Moses is in possession of a rebel bullet sent him by his brother from Chicago. It is a saucy looking thing, it being manufactured so as to contain poison.

-Lorenzo Fish, Post Master of this village, is now the authorized agent for the N.Y. Tribune, Moore's Rural New Yorker, and all the different Pictorials of the day.

-Henry Ward Jr. N.Y..R.R. Ticket Agt., at Seneca Falls, has been here for a few days. We were absent from home at the time, therefore did not get a sight at the "old subscriber."

-L.O. Goodridge (formerly of this village,) is in the army at White Sulphur Springs, Va. He enlisted as 2nd Lieutenant, and has now been promoted to Capt. Read his letter on our first page.

-Capt. J.J. Morley of the Str. Bay State has purchased this last fall, a fine horse for his own use, which has been sent home at Sodus Point, for training, and will be put on the course the coming winter for speed; best "three in five" to cutter.

-Prof. L.H. Clark of the Sodus Academy commenced his winter term with about one hundred and twenty scholars, which is pretty well for these times. The principle that "a new broom sweeps clean," applies well to most of our institutions of learning, but in his case it is the reverse, as he is the better appreciated the longer he remains.

More Old Pultneyville News

Back to Town of Williamson Section

Created: 7/12/04
Copyright © 2004 - 2011 Allyn Hess Perry
Wayne County NYGenWeb
A County Site of the USGenWeb Project
All Rights Reserved.