LYONS, N.Y. 1911
Lyons Republican Print, Lyons, NY 1911
CHARLES A. NOBLE, trustee in District No. 2, is one of our best known and popular citizens. Mr. Noble was born in the village of Lyons, February 15, 1868, and he has lived all his life in the district where he is now trustee. Mr. Noble when a boy learned the printers' trade and worked in the old Sentinel office for a time; afterward he engaged in the hardware business and became one of the most active, enterprising and successful business men in the town. He has been Chief of the fire department, Exalted Ruler of the Elks and has served one term as President of the Village, receiving one of the largest pluralities ever received by a candidate for that office. Mr. Noble is now Deputy County Clerk of Wayne County.
D. H. MANN conducts a general agency in Lyons, devoted to handling fire, life, accident, automobile and liability insurance. He is also an extensive dealer and broker in real estate. He collects rents, furnishes tenants and has a large clientele. Mr. Mann has been in business in Lyons for thirty years, fifteen of which he has devoted entirely to the above lines. Prior to that he dealt in lumber. He enlisted in the 192nd New York Volunteers at the time of the rebellion, and is a prominent member of the G.A.R. Mr. Mann is a member of the Town Board. His office is located over the Lyons Republican office.
PHILIP MINDEL is the leading dealer in marble and granite in this section. He sustains an enviable reputation for artistic designing and superior workmanship generally. Among the specimens of his skill we mention the Benton, Malory, Deady and Egan monuments. Mr. Mindel is serving his second year on the Village Board of Trustees. He had been in business in Lyons for thirty years, and was associated with Mr. Graff for fourteen years, the firm name being Graff & Mindel. Since then he has conducted business alone.
HENRY KILLICK conducts two important flour and feed mills, one at Alloway, a roller process mill, with a capacity of fifty barrels per day, and a Lyons mill, devoted to custom work. He has conducted the Alloway mill for the past twenty-five years and has had the Lyons mill for the past four years. His trade extends all over this country. Mr. Killick puts
upon the market several popular brands of flour, he specialties being the "White Bread," "White Rose" and "Bonnie Doon." In all his specialties he has a large trade. Mr. Killick is ably assisted in the conduct of his business by his son, Harry C., who has charge of the Lyons mill. Mr. Killick is an energetic and thoroughly experienced mill man and is highly
respected wherever known.
L. S. LAKE & CO., Insurance, Real Estate and Loans. Luther S. Lake, senior member of this firm, started in the fire insurance business here in March, 1888, later purchasing the agencies of B. F. Rogers and A. W. Johnson. An office was opened at No. 73 William street April 1, 1890, and continued until May, 1903, when the firm moved across, occupying the second story of the Lyons National Bank building. The fire insurance agencies of William E. McCollum, Col. William Kreutzer and William N. Richards were acquired and May 1, 1903, the Chamberlain & Akenhead agency was purchased, necessitating removal to the present offices in the Lyons National Bank building. Gradually the firm extended into the real estate, loan and collection business, representing the leading collection agencies and having superior facilities for making loans upon real estate. Mr. Lake has been a Justice of the Peace ten years, is assistant police justice, has filled the office of treasurer of the fire department over ten years and is connected as an officer with numerous social and secret societies. He has extensive financial interests in mercantile corporations
in different places outside of Lyons. His preeminent characteristics have been unbounded
energy, ability and push.
M. E. COLVIN, jeweler and optometrist, is a graduate of the Syracuse School of Optometry, class of 1900. He established business in Lyons in 1895 and carries in stock at No. 9 Canal Street a full line of jewelry, diamonds, etc., optical goods, Toric and Kryptok lenses, phonographs and musical merchandise. His trade covers a radius of one hundred miles from Lyons. Mr. Colvin during this present year will move into a new store in the Gavitt Block, where he will have improved facilities and furnishing. His patronage is high class and he enjoys a lucrative trade.
HENRY A BERNS, merchant tailor, established business in Lyons in 1884. He is a skilled custom tailor and has built up an extensive and desirable trade. Mr. Berns has served on the town Board of Health and is highly regarded wherever known.
MR. WILLIAM TAYLOR, manufacturer of mail bags, established the industry in Lyons in 1891. The plant is large and thoroughly equipped and employment is give 70 hands. Mr. Taylor is a gentleman of very extensive business experience and has always shown a warm personal interest in measures tending to improve the village, and he is distinguished for his upright and honorable business and public career. Besides being a large property owner here, Mr. Taylor's standing is such as to entitle him to the highest consideration, and the manner in which he conducts business is a fine exemplification of those principles without which no permanent success is achieved.
FRED E. VOELZER has spared no expense or pains to perfect his laundry establishment in order to give satisfaction to his patrons. All the latest filtering, washing, starching, wringing, drying and ironing machinery is at hand; in fact, all facilities for the prompt execution of every description of work is enjoyed. Special attention is devoted to laundering ladies' underwear, lace curtains, laces, etc., and to polishing collars and cuffs.
MAJOR A. VEEDER, M. M., M. D., was educated at Union College, Schenectady. In the classical department he was graduated in 1866 and in the collegiate course in 1870. For several years he was principal of Ives Seminary at Antwerp, N. Y. Then he studied at Leipzig University, Germany, and in the University of Buffalo, where he was graduated in the medical department. In the same year, 1883, he began that long and successful practice which he has followed in this village, and in the earliest part of which he was associated with Dr. E. W. Bottume. For about eighteen years Dr. Veeder served as health officer of the village or town, occupying both positions at different times, and while so engaged became prominent through the country for the introduction to science of many new discoveries of value in public sanitation. He has distinguished himself as an authority in hygiene and meteorology. His study of the microscopical world has also given his a high standing in that field of research, and is regarded as an expert in medico-legal cases. In all of these lines of professional work Dr. Veeder has written a great deal for the public press and professional journals and is the editor of many pamphlets treating of these several subjects that are regarded as standard works. During the Spanish-American War Dr. Veeder was the first to make known the fact that typhoid germs are carried about by flies, and are nourished in certain soils; and it was upon his authority that the medical department of this government acted in the successful work it accomplished in preventing the spread of typhoid fever in Cuba and in the South American campaigns of the United States army. Dr. Veeder was the first to prove to the satisfaction of medical authorities that typhoid lives in ice; and it was due to his writings that the leading institutions of New York adopted the open air treatment for consumptives. Dr. Veeder is a member of several distinguished scientific societies, including the American Society of Microscopists, of which he is vice-president; the American Association for the Advancement of Science, and State Medical Association.
JOHN M. HATTLER, dealer in dry goods, carpets, oil cloths and rugs, groceries, crockery, glassware, etc., conducts at Nos. 63 and 65 Canal Street an extensive general merchandising business, which was established by his father, G. M. Hattler, in 1857. Mr. G. M. Hattler conducted the enterprise up to 1888, when the firm became Hattler Bros., and so continued until 1901; since then Mr. John M. Hattler has been sole proprietor. The Hattler block, utilized in the conduct of the business, is 40x90 feet in dimensions and three stories in height. Mr. J. M. Hattler is a progressive and popular business man of Lyons, a member of the Masonic fraternity, K. T., etc., and enjoys a thriving trade.
B. F. LOCKWOOD. THE LYONS BURIAL VAULT COMPANY was organized for the purpose of promoting the patents of Mr. B. F. Lockwood for a new and modern method of providing a means of interment most effective against decay and vandal hands. The success of the industry is demonstrated by the large sales of the vault, because of the perfect manner in which it has served its purpose. Made of cement, it is a good substitute for the stone vault. This is one of the companies in Lyons which by producing new articles of general use are making Lyons widely known as a manufacturing village. Mr. Lockwood also manufactures cement block extensively for building purposes, sewer pipe and land tile from cement. He is very highly esteemed.
H. D. SCHLEE, dealer in boots, shoes and rubbers, No. 56 Canal Street, established business in Lyons March 1st, 1908. His premises are 25x100 feet in dimensions and fully stocked with the best grades of merchandise in the above lines. Mr. Schlee is a member of the Masonic fraternity and of Active Hose Company No. 3 for the past sixteen years, and is an enterprising and popular business man and citizen.
JOHN WYKLE, the village trustee in District No. 1, was born in Lyons in 1869, being forty-two years of age. He has been a voter in District No. 1 for 21 years. He is well known by the people of his district and especially the railroad men, he having worked for many years for the New York Central Railroad, where he was a trusted employee. About two years ago he opened a grocery and gents' furnishing store on the corner of Geneva and Water Streets, which business he has conducted in partnership with his son, Leslie Wykle, with marked success. Mr. Wykle is an energetic and enterprising man.
DEROY TAYLOR, wholesale and retail dealer in honey, bee supplies and queens, incubators and poultry supplies, established his business in Lyons in the springs of 1909. Mr. Taylor was engaged in farming prior to that time. He has an extensive trade, covering the territory east of the Mississippi River. In season at his establishment over five hundred chickens are hatched daily, and he keeps from one to two hundred colonies of bees. He also does an extensive business in bee queens and honey. Mr. Taylor is an enterprising and successful young business man, a student of the 1908 class of the poultry department at Cornell, and he has recently taken up the manufacture of the New York State Gasolene Brooder, which has been given to the pupils by the poultry department of the Agricultural College at Cornell. This business is rapidly increasing.
MR. G. W. SLOAN has a large lumber business in Lyons, embracing extensive sheds stocked with the best grades of lumber and interior trim, and he is prepared to furnish his patrons and the public generally with material in any quantities upon notice. Mr. Sloan established the business here in 1894 in association with his brother, Charles A. Sloan. This firm was dissolved in 1906, and since then has been conducted by the present proprietor. Mr. Sloan has served as trustee of this village and is identified with the Masonic fraternity, Elks, etc.
GEORGE S. MILLER has been identified with the grocery trade in Lyons for the past twenty years, and June 1, 1902, he established his present thriving business at No. 60 Canal Street, in which he furnishes employment to four assistants. He is a popular business man and is associated with different social and benevolent institutions. He is an Odd Fellow, Red Man and Past Exalted Ruler of the Elks, and has been chosen to represent the Lyons Lodge at the Grand Lodge Convention at Atlantic City in July, 1911. Mr. Miller is also President of the Rural Cemetery Association and teacher of a large and very popular Bible Class here.
POSTAL SERVICE. The postal service of Lyons is noted for its accuracy and the satisfaction which it renders the public. The present incumbent of the office is one of Lyons' representative business men, Mr. E. Sautter. There are now ten carriers, four city and six R. F. D., and the receipts for 1910 were over $17,000.00, having increased four thousand dollars during that year, and probably will reach the $20,000.00 mark soon.
ST. MICHAEL'S CHURCH is one of the finest churches in Lyons and has the largest membership. It is situated on the corner of Phelps and Holley streets, with the rectory, a handsome structure, in the rear of the church on Holley street. The first mass in this village was celebrated in 1848. Rev. Bernard W. Gommenginger, the pastor, came to this parish in August, 1903, and his pastorate here has been a highly successful one. He is a very friendly priest, beloved by his own people, and very popular with the people at large. He is well known throughout the diocese and is often called to officiate at special services and preach to other congregations.
THE LYONS REPUBLICAN, the leading weekly newspaper in Wayne County, published Fridays in this village, was established in 1821, and stands today one of the oldest and most prosperous papers in the United States, having the largest circulation and doing the largest business in its long and eventful history. It has a circulation of 3,100 and is recognized as one of the leading papers in the Select Weeklies Association of New York State, of which it is a member. Being published at the county seat gives The Lyons Republican added prestige. Charles H. Betts, the editor and proprietor, is a vigorous an accomplished writer whose editorials have attracted state-wide attention, and have made The Lyons Republican one of the best known and most influential papers in the state. Mr. Betts is one of the principal stockholders, a director and vice-president of the Hough Shade Corporation, Janesville, Wis., manufacturers of the celebrated Vudor porch shades and hammocks. Mr. Betts is active in politics as well as in business, he being Republican state committeeman from the 31st Congressional district, composed of the counties of Wayne, Ontario, Cayuga and Yates, a position which he has held since 1902. Wm. R. Courneen is the local editor of the Lyons Republican. In connection with the publishing of the paper, The Lyons Republican has an up-to-date job printing department prepared to do printing of all kinds. This department is equipped with the latest type faces, an entire new line of which was purchased in February of this year, displacing faces which had outlived their up-to-dateness. A new newspaper press has also been added to the mechanical equipment. Promptness in delivery and the living up to promises to the letter have made the job department of The Lyons Republican a warm friend of the Lyons merchants.
WAYNE COUNTY COURT HOUSE
ROCK BASS CLUB
"UP THE RIVER"
LYONS UNION SCHOOL
VIEW OF LYONS FROM THE WEST
LOOKING WEST UP ERIE CANAL FROM LEACH ROAD
LOOKING UP PHELPS STREET FROM MRS. CAMP'S RESIDENCE
SOME PRETTY SCENES ON THE ERIE CANAL,
WILLIAM T. TINSLEY: Editor and Proprietor of the Lyons Republican
From 1859 to 1889. Mr. Tinsley was recognized as one of the leading
Weekly newspaper publishers in the country in his day.
RURAL CEMETERY AND OTHER VIEWS
WM. H. BALTZEL: Prominent Broad Street Grocer of Lyons
THADDEUS W. COLLINS
SOME PRETTY STREET VIEWS
D. P. CHAMBERLAIN: President of The Lyons National Bank
THE LYONS NATIONAL BANK
"SNAKE ISLAND" MUD CREEK
WILLIAM HOUSE'S BUSINESS BLOCK
MESTLER OFFICE AND WAREHOUSE, 29-33 WATER STREET
N. A. MESTLER
A. E. MARSHALL
C. W. BARRICK
Garage of The Lyons Automobile Co.
HARDWARE STORE OF MARSHALL & BARRICK: Corner of Geneva
and Canal Streets
OFFICE OF HOTCHKISS ESSENTIAL OIL COMPANY,
EDWARD SAUTTER'S SHOE STORE, WILLIAM STREET
One of the prettiest display windows in Lyons
WM. HOLLOWAY & SONS, CLOTHING STORE
LAMOTTE M. BLAKELY
JAMES D. BASHFORD
DEWITT C. WHEELER
Clerk of Wayne County, a resident of South Butler.
Mr. Wheeler has also served as sheriff of Wayne County.
HON. CLYDE W. KNAPP
Deputy Sheriff, Wayne County
WILLIAM H. AKENHEAD
President of Village
A. E. BURNETT
Supervisor of Lyons.
RESIDENCE OF GEORGE MAPES
J. A. ROSE
CHARLES A. NOBLE
Trustee District No. 2
D. H. MANN
Trustee District No. 2. Vice-President of Village
Trustee District No. 3
Trustee District No. 1
THE OLD SHULER MILL DAM
One of the beauty spots of Lyons that must give way to the Barge Canal.
HENRY KILLICK'S MILLS
LUTHER S. LAKE
THE LYONS PRINTING COMPANY
R. P. OSTRANDER, PRESIDENT
One of the most up-to-date printing plants in New York State. It is
Equipped with the latest and most up-to-date material for turning out
First class work.
M. E. COLVIN
INTERIOR VIEW OF M. E. COLVIN'S STORE
U. S. MAIL BAG FACTORY, Montezuma Street
FRED E. VOELZER
MAJOR A. VEEDER, A. M., M. D.
J. M. HATTLER DEPARTMENT STORE
Chief of the Fire Department
LYONS BURIAL VAULT COMPANY
LYONS BURIAL VAULT COMPANY
H. D. SCHLEE SHOE STORE
JOHN WYKLE GROCERY
WM. R. COURNEEN
Local Editor of The Lyons Republican
GEORGE S. MILLER
CHARLES H. BETTS
BACK SCENE ON CLYDE RIVER
Back to Part 1
Back to Wayne County Historical Articles Section
Copyright © 1999 - 2011 Kathleen Simmons
Wayne County NYGenWeb
All Rights Reserved.