Ancestral Sightings contains notices and brief mentions of Wayne County residents found in out-of-county and out-of-state resources. These "stray" notices are important as an announcement of a birth, marriage, death or other event may not have appeared in a Wayne County paper or book. Please send us your contribution to this page! **No notice is too small.** A one-line mention may be the solution to someone's brick wall.
These sightings and profiles of former Wayne County residents come from various books, newspapers and articles published in other states. Many states "Out West" published books with short biographies about their local residents, telling where they originally came from. Occasionally these contain important genealogical information. Michigan and Ohio genealogical journals are another source to look for the stray Wayne County record. The persons whose short bios and info appear below may or may not be your ancestors, but it's worth scanning through them to check out migration patterns out of Wayne County for clues as to where your own families' relatives went and when.
NEW 12/28/13 Brief biographical profiles of several people born in Wayne County, from Herringshaw's Encyclopedia of American Biography of the Nineteenth Century, edited by Thomas William Herringshaw. Chicago: American Publishers' Association, 1901.
RUDE, MRS. ELLEN SERGEANT, poet, was born March 17, 1828, in Sodus, N. Y. She is a temperance advocate of St. Augustine, Fla.; and the author of a volume of poems entitled Magnolia Leaves. [page 807]
EDWARDS, CHARLES JEROME, underwriter, was born May 8, 1866, in Wayne county, N. Y. In 1888 he became metropolitan manager of the Equitable Life Assurance society. [page 331]
ELLIOTT, THEODORE BATES, lawyer, was born July 12, 1836, in Wayne county, N.Y. He attained success as one of the most prominent lawyers in Milwaukee county, Wis. He died Jan. 11, 1883, in Wisconsin. [page 337]
BLACKMAR, ESBON, congressman, was born in New York. He was a representative in congress from New York, fro 1848 to 1849, to fill a vacancy; and also served two years in the state assembly from Wayne county. [page 117]
REDFIELD, AMASA ANGELL, lawyer, author, was born May 19, 1837, in Clyde, Wayne county, N. Y. He is a lawyer of New York city, and the author of Handbook of United States Tax Laws; Law and Practice of Surrogates' Courts; and Reports of Surrogates' Courts of New York State, 1864-82. [page 776]
NEW 12/28/13 Ezra Chatfield's biographical sketch comes from Landmarks of Steuben County, New York, by Lewis Cass Aldrich, edited by Harlo Hakes, and published by D. Mason in 1896.
Chatfield, Ezra, was born in Sodus, Wayne county, N. Y., September 18, 1845, son of Ezra and Zippora (Orton) Chatfield, he a native of Madistone, Kent, England, born March 4, 1799, and she of Pulteney N. Y., born March 2, 1816. The grandfather, William Chatfield, who lived and died in England, was one of the aid de camps of William the Conqueror. from whom this name descended. Ezra Chatfield, father of Ezra, jr., had five children, and by a previous wife, Elizabeth Underwood, he had three children. He came to Sodus, N. Y., in 1828, thence to Jasper in 1855, where he located on the farm of Lemuel June, where he died January 17, 1882, and his wife September 15, 1886. He was a Baptist minister for many years. Ezra Chatfield was reared on a farm and educated in the common schools and by home study. He was a lumberman and farmer for several years, was in partnership with D. C. Hunter four years in Jasper, and in 1886 moved on to the farm of 124 acres he now owns, where he follows general farming. He was assessor for three years, and inspector of election for a number of years, and is now serving his first term as supervisor of the town. He is a member of E. A. U. of Jasper. October 16. 1872, he married Mary Walrath of Cameron, by whom he had seven children: R. L., deceased; Bertha, Ethel, Lynn, Pearl, Burt, and Mabel. [page 323]
NEW 12/28/13 Willard H. Richardson's sketch comes from Alumni Record and General Catalogue of Syracuse University, Volume 3, Part 1. Edited by Frank Smalley, published by the Alumni Association of Syracuse University, 1911.
Class of 1896
WILLARD HENRY RICHARDSON Born 23 Aug. 1860 at Sodus, N. Y. Student from Sodus, 1893-6. M.D.
Physician at Waterville, N. Y. and later at Sodus, N. Y.
Married 16 Oct. 1900, Ethel Maxon of Sodus, N. Y.
Residence, Sodus, N. Y.
NEW 12/28/13 From The Geneva Gazette, Friday, April 23, 1886
WHO IS HE? A Lyons newspaper correspondent alleges that for years past there have been systematic robberies of graves at the Wayne county alms house cemetery, for the purpose of furnishing medical students with subjects for dissection. As many as twelve were thus resurrected in the year 1880, and more or less every year since. It is further stated that the District Attorney knows positively of a young physician in Geneva who was furnished with the body of a young woman who died at the Alms House in the spring of 1885.
The body was stolen ten days after death and was carted to Geneva in a box by a young farmer, the price paid for the subject was thirty-eight dollars.
NEW 12/28/13 From the Arcadian Weekly Gazette, unknown date 1888
MEN OF 1840
The following are names of some of our townsmen who voted for Harrison in 1840, and are now republicans:
A. Galusha, Lyman Crothers, L. L. Whitbeck, Wm. H. Pulver, LeGrand Ogden, A. VanValkenburgh, J. H. Prescott, Daniel Philips, Josiah Failing, A. F. Burgett, O. H. Allerton, Simeon Gardner, Fletcher Williams, B. D. Foster, E. P. Howell, Leonard Whitbeck, Wm. Ridley, Anthony Hill, Louis P. Hartman, C. Phillips, James Phillips, Austin Parks, John Bostwick, J. Rowe, Ransom Allerton, Wm. Flemming, E. Hughson.
Corrections, if errors are found, and other names may be left with J. H. Prescott.
NEW 12/28/13 From History of Jackson County, Michigan. Chicago: Inter-state Publishing Co., 1881
M. J. Wade, born at Rose, Wayne Co., N.Y., July 27, 1815; settled at Pittsfield, Washtenaw Co., Nov. 20, 1834, and removed to Tompkins, Jackson Co., four years later, in 1838. (p. 153)
The following sketches and sightings were contributed by an anonymous donor "In Memory of E.E.".
From: History of the State of Nebraska, Chicago: The Western Historical Company, A.T. Andreas, Proprietor, Copyright 1882
HON. S. B. POUND, Judge of Second Judicial District, State of Nebraska, is a native of Ontario County, N.Y., where he was born January 14, 1835. His parents moved to Wayne County, N. Y., about 1836. His preparatory studies were made at Walworth Academy and the Macedon Academy, both institutions of Wayne County. In 1855 he entered Union College at Schenectady, N. Y., Dr. Knott being the president of the college. In 1859 he graduated and returned to Wayne County, and commenced the study of law under Judge Sherwood, of Lyons, then County Judge and Surrogate. Was admitted to the bar in 1863, and in 1864 entered into partnership with Judge Sherwood, the latter's time having expired. This partnership continued until Judge Sherwood's death, in 1866. Judge Pound then moved to Nebraska and settled in the town of Lancaster, what is now Lincoln, in 1867. After engaging about one year in mercantile business, he entered upon the practice of his profession, having formed a partnership with Seth Robinson. In the fall of 1869, he was elected Probate Judge, and took his seat in 1870. In 1872 he again commenced the practice of law with C. C. Burr. Was elected to the State Senate in 1872 and '73, and a member of the Constitutional Convention in 1875, and was elected District Judge in 1876. He was married in Macedon, Wayne Co., N. Y., January 21, 1869, to Miss Laura Biddlecome, of that county, her parents being old residents of Wayne County. They have three children, Roscoe, Emma Louise, and Olivia. Judge Pound is a member of the State Bar Association, and of the Lancaster Bar Association. Was the first president of the latter. [Lancaster County]
GEORGE P. TUCKER, real estate dealer, came to Nebraska in 1856, and located at Helena, Johnson Co. He engaged in farming and stock raising there. In the fall of 1862 he enlisted in Company F, Second Nebraska Cavalry. He served at the battle of Whitestone Hill, September 3 and 4, 1863. He served thirteen months being most of the time Quartermaster Sergeant. He was Postmaster at Helena for some time. He was a member of the first State Legislature. In 1872 he came to Lincoln, and served one term in the State Senate after coming here. For five years he was receiver of the Lincoln Land Office. He was born at Walworth, Wayne Co., N. Y., September 28, 1834, and lived there until 1856. He was married at Helena, Johnson Co., Neb., in April 1864, to Nancy J. Smith, a native of New York, but reared in Ohio. They have seven children, Charles A., Luther G., George P., Ada A., Frank and William L., and an infant daughter. They lost one child, in infancy. Mr. Tucker is a member of A., F. & A. M., Blue Lodge, Chapter and Commandery. [Lancaster County]
J. G. WRIGHT, contractor and plasterer, was born August 24, 1836, in Wayne County, N. Y. At an early age went with his parents to the northern part of Illinois, where he was raised and educated. Left school at the age of fourteen. In 1853 was apprenticed to a Mr. William Prindle for three years, and then to Mr. M. Dickinson, and in 1858 commenced working at his trade until the commencement of the war, when he enlisted on the 25th of September, 1861, in the Sixty-fourth Illinois Sharpshooters, Company A, under Lieut-Col. D. E. Williams and Capt. John Morrill. He participated in all the battles with his regiment, and in 1862 was promoted to Commissary Sergeant, and after the battle of Corinth the regiment was presented with standard colors by Gov. Yates for acts of bravery and meritorious service. He was mustered out in October, 1864, at East Point, Ga. In 1866 engaged in general merchandise business in La Salle County, Ill., until 1868, when he sold out and engaged in business at his trade as plasterer. In the fall of 1876 came West and located at York, Neb., and purchased a quarter section of land, and farmed the same until the spring of 1881, when he came to Lincoln and commenced working at his trade, and in September of the same year entered into partnership with a Mr. Mulfordand, since which time have contracted for and plastered several private dwellings, as well as the ornamental centers, brackets and corbels on the Odd Fellows' Hall, the Little Block and Walsh & Putnam's--paying particular attention to this branch of the business. He was married in December, 1859, in Illinois, to Miss Annie Cole, of New York. They have five children--Francis E., Effie M., Harriette G., Frank W. and Lewis E. His oldest daughter is married. He is a member of the Grand Army of the Republic, Farragut Post No. 25; member of the Sheridan Lodge No. 735, Illinois. Mr. W's, father commenced his military career in the war of 1812 and served at first as Lieutenant in the Home Guards. He raised a rifle company in Wayne County, N. Y., and was commissioned Captain, and afterwards promoted Major and Colonel. At the same time, his mother's father was in the rifle service in England. [Lancaster County]
GEORGE Mc MILLAN, professor of Greek language and literature, Nebraska State University. He was born in Belfast, Ireland, May 23, 1832. His parents moved to the United States in 1837, and settled in Ashtabula County, Ohio. He took his preparatory studies in Grand River Institute, Ohio. Then entered Oberlin College, from which he graduated in 1855. The three years following he was engaged in teaching the ancient languages. In 1859 he accepted the chair of Greek language and literature at Hillsdale College, Mich., in which position he remained sixteen years. In 1875 he took the chair of Latin language and literature, at Berea College, Kentucky. From there he removed to Lincoln, Neb., January, 1876, to take his present position. He was married in Wayne County, N. Y., July 22, 1858, to Miss Josephine Young, of that county, her parents being old residents. They have two children, Conway Young, and Bertha Laura. He is a member of the Congregational Church, and of the American Philological Association. [Lancaster County]
J. D. STONE, proprietor Friendville Bank, opened for business December, 1881, deposits, $1500. He owns a grist mill three miles south of Friendville, erected in 1878; size, 24x34, two stories high; two run of stone; capacity, 200 bushels per day. He owns 800 acres of land in various locations. He first came to Saunders County, Neb., in August, 1868, and located on a homestead farm five years, then engaged in milling. Born in Cavendish, Windsor Co., Vt., December 21, 1812. Lived in his native State until 1834, and moved to Wayne County, N. Y., engaged in teaching a number of years, then went into mercantile business until 1858. Moved to Carlisle, Ill., and engaged in distillery business three and one-half years; then to Hancock County, Ill.; farmed and run a distillery until he came to Nebraska. Married in Wayne County, N. Y., June 16, 1839, to Miss Charity F. Sutherland, of latter place. Have four children, Athenia M., now married to John Grey; Harriet J., married to John H. Van Housen; Frances A., now married to Mr. N. H. Starkey. Mr. Stone is a member of the I. O. O. F., etc., since 1845, and a member of the Universalist Church for over forty years. [Saline County]
G. M. MOREY, agent for the Burlington & Missouri Railroad and American Express agent, was born in Lyons, Wayne County, N. Y., and came with his parents to Missouri in 1859. His father was agent for the Hannibal & St. Joe Railroad at Shelbina, Mo., during the war. They then returned to Rochester, N. Y. They afterward removed to Danville, N. Y., where he was employed as Teller in a bank. In 1867 the family returned to Missouri, and engaged in farming. About 1868 he commenced to learn the telegraph business in Osborn, Mo., and has been engaged in railroad business most of the time since. Since 1876 he has been in the employ of the Burlington & Missouri Railroad. Took charge of the station September 5, 1879. Was married in October, 1879, to Miss C. B. Williams, of Forest City, Holt County, Mo. They have one daughter -- Maude. [Webster County]
HOLLY M. MILLS, physician and surgeon, Osceola, was born in Wayne County, N. Y., November 13, 1834. His parents moved to Michigan when he was only three years of age. Here he received a good preliminary education, also reading medicine with his father, who was a practical physician for over forty years. In 1855, he entered the Medical College, at Cleveland, Ohio, completing the course at the Eclectic Medical College, Cincinnati, in 1860. In 1861, he enlisted in the late war of the rebellion, at White Pigeon, Mich., in Company B, Eleventh Michigan Volunteer Infantry, and was in regular service until the spring of 1862, when he was appointed Hospital Steward, at Nashville, Tenn., afterward being transferred to Brigade Hospital as Steward, and from that to General Field Hospital as Steward, where he served until the close of the war; then he returned to Michigan and started practicing in Branch County, where he continued until 1870, when he came to Nebraska and took up a homestead on Section 14, Island Precinct, Polk County. He was one of the very first physicians in Polk County. He is a member of the Masonic order, and was a charter member of Osceola Lodge, No. 65. He was married March 7, 1878, by Rev. S. Barrows, to Mrs. Jennie S. Osterhout. [Polk County]
The following sketches and sightings were contributed by an anonymous donor "In Memory of E.E.".
From: History of Northern Wisconsin, Chicago: The Western Historical Company, A.T. Andreas, Proprietor, Copyright 1881 The Western Historical Co.; Reprinted by The Ralph Secord Press, Iron Mountain MI, 1988
CAPT. R. J. NEEDHAM, wagon factory, Stockbridge. Born in Wayne Co., N. Y., March 8, 1828. He remained in his native county for nine years and then went to Onondaga County, where he learned the trade of wagonmaker. He came to Wisconsin, and located in Calumet County, in 1850. He then went on a trip through the Southern States and returning in 1861, enlisted in the 4th Wis. V. I., but was transferred to the calvalry in 1663. He was mustered out as a captain in 1865. On leaving the service, he returned to Stockbridge, and once more resumed business. He has held the office of Chairman of the Town and was Treasurer for some four years. He is a member of the I. O. O.F
From issues of the "Coldwater Republican", Algansee Township, Branch County, Michigan
- Volume IV. No.64. Coldwater, MI, Friday, March 8, 1879 Whole Number 376
Geo. Bennett winged his way westward 16 years ago alighting in the west part of the township of Algansee, but now lives in the central portion. He was born in Wayne Co., N.Y., and is 38 years old.
- Volume IV. No.70. Coldwater, MI., Friday, March 29, 1879 Whole Number 382
D. D. Priddy has lived in Otsego, Wayne and Cayuga counties, N. Y., but was born in Otsego. His people came from England. He has lived in Algansee 16 years.
Fifty-three years ago H. Van Hoosear made his advent into Wayne County, N. Y., but had been in California two years previous to settling here which he did 20 years ago.
- Volume IV. No. 73. Coldwater, MI, Tuesday, April 8, 1879 Whole Number 385
Adam Town has lived in Michigan 23 years and in Algansee 5 years. He was born and raised in Wayne County, N.Y., and now at the age of 40 years is most pleasantly situated. During the past year he has erected a very excellent new farm house. The maiden name of Mrs. T. was Noble, who was born in Erie county, N.Y., about 40 years ago.
- Volume IV. No.75 Coldwater, MI, Tuesday, April 15, 1879. Whole Number 387
John Van Tassle died a year ago last February at the age of 45 years. He was born in Wayne County, N.Y., and had lived in Algansee 19 years. His widow, Miss Emma Van Tassle, and seven children still survive him. Mrs. V. is 46 years of age, and was a native of Wayne county, N.Y.
- Volume IV No. 77 Coldwater, MI., Tuesday, April 22, 1879 Whole Number 389
We visited Mrs. Nancy M. Shumway in the morning, at which time she talked with much interest and seemingly with as much strength as any person. We obtained some data in regard to her history, little thinking that even then she was in the valley of the shadow of death; but at one o'clock at the same day the white robed messenger had entered that quiet home and borne the spirit of Mrs. S. to its eternal rest. Mrs. Shumway was 55 years last July, and was born in Wayne County, N. Y. With her father's people she moved to Michigan in 1836 and in 1849 came to Algansee, at which time she and her husband settled upon the farm where her death occurred. The maiden name of Mrs. S. was Davis, and her father preceded her 34 years in his flight to the better land. Her husband, Alfred Shumway, died five years ago at the age of 55 years, his death resulting from an accident by which two of his fingers were taken off. Three children were born to them who are now living. They saw many of the pinching necessities of which the early settlers were subjected, and at one time Mr. S. carried a basket of eggs on his arm to Coldwater, a distance of 14 miles, to exchange for goods. Mrs. S. lived in the township three years before she went to town.
Layman Robins has lived in this State 26 years, is 67 years of age, and was born and raised in Wayne County, N.Y. He first located in Reading, Hillsdale county, and has lived in Algansee about 12 years. He was married first 48 years ago, but has now lived with his second wife nine years. He was through this country in 1838 and rode on the first railroad west of Toledo while the cars were yet drawn by horses. The railroad was at that time called the Toledo, Adrian & Kalamazoo road, but was completed only to Sylvania. The maiden name of Mrs. Robins was Davis, and she was born and raised in Pennsylvania.
Contributed by Patti Norton. "Here are some Wayne sightings from a history on Warren County, PA. I was looking for a line of my Roy family that moved there when the widow of Andrew Roy remarried to a Clendenning and moved there around 1836. I am including the bios for one of Andrew's sons that apparently did pretty well there and a couple of other Wayne county people that I found mentioned."
From: "History of Warren County Warren County, PA" 1887 Edited by J.S. Schenck Assisted by W.S. Rann Syracuse, NY D. Mason & Co., Publishers
Roy, James, who was born in Phelpstown, Ontario County, NY on the 14th day of September 1822, is descended from a family bearing his patronymic in Scotland. His grandfather, Cole Roy, came from that country about 1788 or 1789 and settled in Phelpstown where he died about 1825. His son Andrew, the father of the subject of this sketch, was born in Scotland about 1785 and was the youngest member of a family of 5 sons and a daughter. He engaged in farming near Phelpstown, NY until his death in 1829. His wife Margaret was a native of east Pennsylvania and was married to him as early as 1810. He took an active part in the second war with Great Britain, serving at Black Rock and along the Niagara Frontier. One of his brothers, Charles Roy, was killed in action at Fort Erie. Andrew and Margaret Roy had a family of 3 daughters and 2 sons, of whom James is next to youngest and youngest of the sons.
Mr. Roy received the rudimentary portion of his education in Phelpstown, but in 1836 he came to Elk township in this county and attended school for a time after his settlement here. Before he had reached the age of 21 years he began engaging in agricultural and lumbering pursuits, clearing land in Elk township and shipping lumber down the river. From this early beginning until as late as 1883, Mr. Roy continued this twofold business and from a seemingly unpropitious start with little means and few friends, he wrought out by patient labor and sagacious management a well deserved fortune. In 1883 he discontinued lumbering and besides the cultivation of his old farm and other land which he had accumulated in the years that are past, he has devoted himself assiduously to operations in oil. In all the business transactions of a long life he has manifested a mingled conservatism and energy which are sure prognostics of success. His landed interest in Warren county comprise about 1500 acres though the acres that he has owned and disposed of may not be reckoned.
Mr. Roy has not been a political aspirant; nevertheless he has accepted several township offices, and in 1880 was elected county commissioner of Warren county. During the war he supported the nominees of the Republican party; voted for Horace Greeley in 1872; and is now a member of the Greenback party.
On the 10th of September, 1851, he married Sophia, daughter of William and Maria Shattuck, who were originally from Massachusetts, and later became prominent in Elk township. Mrs, Roy died on 19th of July, 1867. She left 7 children, all of whom are now living. The eldest, Helen Maria, was born on the 28th of May 1853, Margaret born June 3, 1856 is the wife of Glennie Meade of Warren; Franc, born June 17, 1858 is the wife of Jesse F. Baker of Des Moines, Iowa; James, born March 27, 1860 married Saloma Smith of Warren; John was born March 20, 1862; Blanche was born September 24, 1863 and Josephine Adella was born March 7, 1865.
LXXXi (Brief Personals)
Roy, James, Warren p.o., Glade, was born in the town of Phelps, Ontario County, NY, September 14, 1822; he is of Scottish descent. His grandfather, Coll Roy, came from Scotland in the year 1749, He settled in Phelps, Ontario County, NY, and was a blacksmith by trade. To Coll and Elizabeth, his wife, were born 7 children, of whom Andrew, the father of the subject of this sketch, was the 4th child; he followed the life of a farmer and served in the War of 1812. In the year of 1809 he married Margaret Ray, by whom he had a family of 5 children, James being the 4th child. When James was 7 years of age, his father died, and in 1836 he, with his mother, came to Elk township, Warren county. At the age of 16 he was thrown upon his own resources. He prospered reasonably in all his undertakings, was extensibly engaged in the manufacture of lumber, and later in life he became engaged in the oil business as a producer. In 1851 he married Sophia Shattuck, a daughter of William and Maria Shattuck, by whom he had a family of 7 children, Helen M., Margaret, Franc, James, jr., John, Blanche and Josephine A. Sophia (Shattuck) Roy died in 1867. Mr. Roy now resides in Glade, and occupies a beautiful residence on the banks of the Conewango. Politically he has been a Republican, Democrat and Greenback successively. He ran on the Greenback and Democratic tickets as a candidate for the office of county commissioner and was elected. Mr. Roy has never been identified with any church society.
Daniel Lounsbury was an early settler from Wayne county, N. Y., and bought out William Snyder, on the corner of the road leading from Warren to the Allegheny River. He had a family of four sons and three daughters, and divided his large farm among the former. He was one of the first road commissioners under the new road law of 1845. He lived to fullness of years. He has been honored with several township offices. He has one son and one daughter. A. H. Lounsbury lives on the south side of the corner above mentioned, and is a highly respected citizen. Hiram A. Lounsbury occupies the old homestead proper, and sustains well the family reputation for integrity and industry. He has several children. Harlow A. Lounsbury had been dead several years. His widow occupies a part of the old homestead.
Frederick Kilburn settled near and adjoining the place of Mr. Webb. He was from Wayne county, N. Y. He and his wife have been dead many years. His one son, Allen R., now lives on the old homestead, and has recently put in a saw-mill.
Daniel Gould came from Old Galen, N. Y., in 1833, and settled near the northwest corner of Elk township. He was the father of several sons and two daughters. His youngest daughter became the wife of David Holt, brother of the writer, and is still living. Mr. Gould and his wife have been dead for a number of years.
Contributed by Patricia McDermott. Patricia tells us that "I am trying to locate more information about my family and have spent some time in your lovely town. I hope to return in the fall to do more research. I now believe that some of my Stewarts [Edwin and Elizabeth d 1871 and 1870 may be parents of my Mary] are buried in the Butler Center Cemetery. I will be writing to the town clerk to check this out."
From "Biographical and Historical Record of Adams & Wells Counties", The Lewis Publishing Co., 113 Adams Street, Chicago, Illinois 1887
WASHINGTON IRVING FITCH, of the Bluffton Manufacturing Company, was born in Wayne County, New York, May 25, 1841, a son of John Otis and Sarah (Hill) Fitch, natives of Wayne County, New York, the father born February 8, 1812, of Scotch descent, and the mother born October 6, 1814, of English descent. The father died May 27, 1886, and the mother March 26, 1887, on the homestead in Cayuga County. When our subject was fifteen years old his parents moved to Cayuga County. He remained on the farm with them until 1863, when he came to Indiana and worked at the carpenter's trade at Kendallville until the spring of 1884, when he enlisted in the 100-day service and was assigned to Company F, One Hundred and Thirty-ninth Indiana Infantry. He served 120 days at Munford and Louisville, Kentucky. After being discharged at Indianapolis he returned to Kendallville and for a short time worked at the carpenter's trade, when he moved to Barry County, Michigan, eight miles south of Hastings, and in 1868 when to South Orange, New Jersey, and thence to Old Stockbridge, Massachusetts, where he remained until the fall of 1870, when he came to Bluffton, where he was soon employed as workman in the corn-planter factory of T. Horton & Co. In 1883 he, with Lee S. Kapp and W. W. Weisell, organized the Bluffton Manufacturing Company, and he was by common consent made superintendent of the shops. March 25, 1863, he was married in Wayne County, New York, to Miss Sarah Elizabeth McCaughan, who was born in Newburg, Orange County, New York, November 12, 1844, a daughter of John and Mary (Stewart) McCaughan. Her father was born in County Derry, Ireland, July 18, 1806, and remembers well the time when in 1836, 1837 and 1838 the Protestants carried their guns to church to prevent the Catholics from molesting them. Mr. and Mrs. Fitch have three children - Ida May, born April 2, 1867, in Barry County, Michigan; Anna C., born July 19, 1871, and Freddie G., born March 6, 1876, in Bluffton, Indiana. Mr. Fitch is a member of Bluffton Lodge, No. 114, and of Bluffton Encampment, No. 141, I.O.O.F., and has passed all the chairs and has been representative to the Grand Lodge in both the subordinate lodge and encampment, and has served as treasurer of the lodge five years. He and his wife and eldest daughter are members of the Baptist church.
This article also appears on the Wells County, INGenWeb site.
Contributed by Jim Ryan, who'd like to find out more about David NORTON & Lucinda M. GATES:
Portrait and Biographical Album of DeKalb County, Illinois; Chicago: Chapman Brothers, 1883, page 444.
"David Norton, farmer, section 14, Shabbona Township, was born in Ontario, Wayne Co., N.Y., July 24, 1821, was brought up on a farm till his 17th year, and then removed to Geauga Co., Ohio, where he learned the carpenter's trade, at which he was employed part of the time, the remainder being devoted to farming until the fall of 1845. He then emigrated to the Prairie State, arriving at Sugar Grove, Kane County, Sept. 11 that year. He married at the last named place Aug. 20, 1846, Lucinda M., daughter of Stephen and Julia (Tyler) Gates. She was born in Wayne Co., N.Y., June 13, 1826, lost her mother in childhood, and was adopted and brought up by her uncle, Isaac Gates.
Mr. and Mrs. Norton have had four children, namely: Celia A., born July 23, 1848, who is the wife of William Husk, Postmaster and merchant at Shabbona; Wellington J., born Dec. 20, 1851; Florence A., born July 3, 1854, is the wife of Hiram Morey and lives at Shabbona; and one child died in infancy.
In the spring of 1847, the year following his marriage, Mr. Norton and his wife moved to Shabbona Township, this county, where he entered some government land and purchased some at second-hand. His farm contains 100 acres on section 14, and 15 acres on section 23 , and is well improved. Mr. Norton has held various local offices since his residence in Shabbona. During the war he was appointed Enrolling Officer for the town; served one term as Supervisor and many years as Road Commissioner and Director of his school district. He has been identified with the growth and improvement of the town since its pioneer days, and is held in high esteem by a large circle of acquaintances. In politics he is a Republican."
Contributed by Mrs. M. Sue (Outman) Wells as spotted on the Mecosta County, Michigan Genweb site:
MUNSON LAMB, farmer on sec. 5, Aetna Tp. was born in WAYNE COUNTY, N.Y., Oct. 15, 1829. His parents, Isaac and Emeline (Hickok) Lamb, were natives of New York and Vermont respectively. He came to Michigan in 1838, and made his first location at Hillsdale, where he was married in 1854, to Clarissa, daughter of Thomas and Mary (Millspaugh) Jolls, natives of the State of New York. Mrs. Lamb was born Aug. 9, 1840, in Hillsdale Co., Mich., where they continued to reside for eleven years. Mr. Lamb removed in 1865 to Lansing, Ingham Co., Mich., and there carried on farming for 16 years. In 1881 he came to Mecosta County and located where he now resides, in Aetna Tp. Of five children born to Mr. and Mrs. Lamb, one is deceased. Noble was born Dec. 29, 1856, and died Feb. 20, 1859; Mary E. was born Jan. 3, 1859; Alverta was born Dec. 15, 1861; Thomas J. was born April 11, 1864; Hattie was born Feb. 9, 1866.
Information about the immediate family of Joseph Coe, a resident of Marion NY, comes from Robert Coe, Puritan: his Ancestors and Descendants, 1340-1910, with notices of other Coe families, by Joseph Gardner Bartlett. Published for private circulation by the author, 1911. Page 263.
235. JOSEPH7 COE (Joel6 (118), Dea. Joseph5, Capt. Joseph4, Capt. John3, Robert2, Robert1), born in Cayuga Co., N. Y., Nov. 12, 1784, was a farmer at Marion, Wayne Co., N. Y., and later at Kirtland, Lake Co., Ohio, where he settled about 1835, and was killed by a bull Oct. 17, 1854.
He married first, about 1815, Pallas Wales, who died at Marion, N. Y.
He married second, Sophia Harwood.
Children by first marriage born at Marion, Wayne Co., N. Y.:
399. i. John Rathbone 8, b. Jan. 17, 1817.
ii. Marian, b. in 1819, d. at Painesville, O., in 1902; m. William Freer.
Children by second marriage:
iv. Jane P. 8, b. Feb. 11, 1837, d. Jan. 27, 1854, unm.
v. Olive S., d. about 1904.
Wayne County Family Bios Section