Wayne County, NY
By George W. Cowles
Source: Landmarks of Wayne County, New York, by George Washington Cowles. Syracuse, N.Y.: D. Mason. 1895.
George W. Cowles' Landmarks of Wayne County, New York contains many biographical sketches that residents contributed to him in 1895, as well as bios of prominent residents who'd passed away. The sketches weren't published in alphabetical order and start towards the end of the alphabet. We'll be posting biographies in their original order of appearance in the book as more pages are contributed to us, and building the index as we know who's in it. This could take a long time. Below are just some of the many sketches.
Although surname spellings are as in the book, this transcription may contain typographical errors.
Be sure to compare entries to the original book before adding to your family data.
WALL, William, was born in Webster, September 2, 1824. He was the oldest of four children of Elisha M. and Lois (SAVAGE) Wall, he a native of Vermont, born in 1800. He settled in Webster and afterward came to Ontario in 1840, where
he died in 1891. Subject came to Ontario when a mere boy. He married in 1854 Hannah A. WRAY, a native of Ontario and daughter of George Wray. The latter was born in Fort Ann, Washington county, January 8, 1792, and married Almira BROWN of
Granville, Washington county, April 11, 821, by Rev. Andrews. He was a blacksmith by trade. He came to Wayne county in 1827,and bought the place known then as the Shingled House (shingles being used instead of clapboards). He built the first
blacksmith shop in town, and two years after bought thirty-six acres two miles east of that, cleared a spot of ground and built another shop and moved into that. The same year (1829) he built a frame house, in which he lived until his death.
His wife died in June 1872, and he in October, 1872. They had three children, Almira Jane, Hannah Ann, and George Leonard. Mr. Wall and wife have had two children, Ida, wife of William EDDY, and has three children, Raymond, Leland and Vera; Emma C.,
wife of William PATTEN, who has one child, Ruby. Her first husband was Irvin CUDDERBACK, by whom she had one child, Myrta G. Mr. and Mrs. Wall moved to Michigan in 1856, and returned to the Wray homestead in 1866, where they still remain. William R.
Patten was born in Ontario on the farm his father settled, in 1850. He is the youngest of nine children of John and Eliza (BANCROFT) Patten, he a native of New Jersey, born in 1799, and she of Walworth, born in 1810. They came to Ontario in 1830, where
he died in 1865, and his wife in 1889. Mr. Patten was a shoemaker and tanner by trade, but after coming to Ontario followed farming. He owned 100 acres, which he cleared. Subject was reared on a farm and educated in the common schools and Macedon
Academy. He has always been a farmer, has fifty acres of land, and follows general farming and fruit raising. He married in 1890 Emma WALL, a native of Michigan. She is a daughter of William Wall. Mr. Patten and wife have had one daughter, Ruby E.,
born December 15, 1893.
WATERS, George F., was born in Williamson August 30, 1849. His parents were Zeniri and Alice (BREWER) Waters. The family consisted of two sons and three daughters, who grew to maturity, the daughters being now deceased. W. H. Waters, brother of the
subject, is in the town of Miller, South Dakota, in the banking business. Z. Waters was reared on the farm and always followed farming. He was an anti-slavery advocate and died September 4, 1870. The grandparents of our subject were William Waters,
born in England in September, 1779, and Mary (SAMPSON) Waters, born in June, 1783. They had three sons and five daughters, all deceased but two daughters, who are in Michigan. William Waters emigrated to America and settled in Williamson, being one of
the pioneers of that town. He engaged somewhat in land speculating, buying and selling several farms, but his principal occupation was farming. Mrs. Waters died January 14, 1856, and he died March 18, 1864. George Waters was educated at Pultneyville
under Prof. Clark. His first business enterprise was as paymaster's clerk in the United States navy, but his principal occupation has been farming. He has 130 acres of land and makes a specialty of dairying, having special city customers for his
dairy products. He also has fine fruit orchards. He married, January 10, 1883, Helen May, daughter of Evelin and Mary (PALISTER) CORNWALL, of Williamson. They have one daughter, Alice E., born June 8, 1884. Mr. Waters has been eleven years deputy
collector of customs.
WARNER, R. K., was born in Cortland county July 19, 1825, son of Ira and Asenath Warner, natives of Massachusetts and early settlers of Cortland county, where they lived and died. Subject was educated in the common schools, followed farming in Cortland
county until 1858, when he came to Palmyra and in 1865 to Marion. He married in 1848 Ramonia VAIL, a native of Cortland county, born October 25, 1829, daughter of Henry Vail, a native of Dutchess county, who died in Madison county, N. Y. Subject and wife
had five children: Erotus, who married Ella WAKE, and has three children, Melvin E., F. May, Oscar Z., Lewis W., who married Amelia E. ALLEN, daughter of Abram and Emma Allen, natives of England, who came to Richfield Springs in 1844, and there Mrs. Allen died
and Mr. Allen now resides. Lewis and wife have had three children: Lillian, died aged two years; Jessie and Carl; Mary E., wife of George ELBRIDGE, of Homer, Cortland county, N. Y., and has one child, Marion Ramonia; Horace A., who married Minnie POTTER, died
January 25, 1891, and had two children, Ross and Myrtle.
WOOD, Noah, was born April 23, 1832, the son of Horatio Wood, a farmer of Butler who was also a man of local prominence, being a justice for twenty years, and who died in 1860. His wife, Angeline, the mother of seven children, died in 1886. Noah's education
was received at Lima, N.Y., and the M. G. B. Institute at Concord, N.H. He graduated in 1860. His principal occupation has been farming. September 10, 1861, he married Addie B., daughter of John HALL, of Cicero, N. Y., and both are prominent in the M. E.
church of Wolcott. Mr. Wood is a man of much character and has filled many positions of trust and responsibility, such as president of the village, trustee of the Leavenworth Institute, and justice of the peace, holding the latter position twelve years.
WOOD, Major William, was born near his present home August 1, 1830, son of Horatio N. Wood. He is a graduate of Union College, of Albany Law School, was admitted to the bar in 1857, and practiced that profession two years with Hon. J. B. Decker. As captain of
Company G of the 9th Heavy Artillery he achieved distinction on many a bloody field, promotion to the rank of major and for personal bravery before Petersburg, was breveted lieutenant colonel by President Johnson. A bullet would in the face, received at
Sailor Creek, necessitated his retirement from the service for some months, after which he was commissioned lieutenant colonel, and his battalion detailed for the protection of the city of Washington. Equally distinguished as a statesman in the county and State
Legislature, having been a member of assembly in 1886, Major Wood finds in the retirement of his country home and the management of his farming and business interests, congenial occupation. In 1866 he married Mary Green, of Mt. Morris, N. Y., and their children
are: George C., Horatio N., Angeline, Julia D., and Walter W.
WHITE, Charles S., was born in Rensselaer county September 5, 1833, educated in the district schools, and finished at private boarding school. He followed farming until 1862. September 9, 1856, he married Frances S. TIFFT, by whom he has one son, Fred. C. Mr.
White came to this town in 1874, having been in the mercantile trade at his old home for twelve years, and this business he has successfully followed since 1875, in this town. Fred. C. was educated in the common schools, with a year in Troy, and in the Union
School and Academy. In 1880 he became a partner in the business, under the firm name of C. S. White & Son. He married Minnie M. HORTON, of East Newark, and they have a son, Elmer F. H. Mr. White's father, Jacob White, was born in Medway, Mass., in 1788, and
was a manufacturer. In 1814 he married Prisa LEWIS, of Walpole, Mass.,a nd they had eleven children: Lewis, Sally, Prisa, Miranda, Philip, Jacob, David, William, Charles S., Martha and Mary J. He came with his family to this state in 1816, where he died in 1870 and
his wife in 1888, at the age of ninety-four. Mrs. White's father, Sprague Tifft, was born in New York State in 1800, and married first a Miss CULVER, by whom he had one daughter, Lydia M. He married second Sophia B. WATSON, and had twelve children: George W.,
James E., W. Dewitt, Frances S., H. Cordelia, Melinda V., Amelia C., I. Nelson, Watson, Lucerne, Emerson,and Martha A. Both parents are now living. Our subject is a member of Newark Lodge No. 82, F. and A. M.
YOUNGS, L. S., was born in Coxsackie, Greene county, May 4, 1832. His father William, came to Wayne county in 1840, settled on the John AUSTIN farm in the town of Arcadia, and was a large fruit producer. He died on the old homestead in 1884 at the age of
seventy-six. L. S. Youngs was educated in the common schools, to which he had added through life by reading and close observation. At the age of twenty-three he married Emeline, daughter of Jacob VANDERBILT, who was called out to defend Sodus Point in 1812, and they
are the parents of two children, Mrs. Stella E. BRADLEY and L. Armeda. In 1868 he bought part of the old Jacob Vanderbilt estate, which has bee in the family for ninety years. Our subject is one of the substantial men of his town taking an active interest in educational
and religious matters.
ZELUFF, Charles E., was born in Wolcott, September 16, 1841. His father, Benjamin, was a native of Trenton, N. J., settled in Red Creek in 1838, and died in 1885, aged seventy-three years. Charles E. was educated in the common schools, after which he followed boating
several years. In 1875 he established his present business, and is one of the largest dealers in fresh and salt meats in Wayne county. At the age of twenty-nine he married Mary E., daughter of Jonas VAN SLYCK, of Clyde, and they have one son, Czar E. Our subject is
identified in advancing the best interests of his town.
YOUNG, Henry, was born near Menby on the Rhine, July 6, 1820. His father, Conrad, came to the United States in 1831 and settled in Wayne county. He died in 1861, aged seventy-five years. Henry Young was educated in Germany and the United States, and at the age of twenty-two
married Ann Eliza, daughter of John FOIST, by whom he has five children: George H., Darwin C., Charles F., Lydia A. (Mrs. ROOKE), and Mary E. RODENBACH. In 1842 he bought the homestead of sixty-four acres, in 1850 bought the John DESMOND property of sixty acres, and in 1855
bought the J. LONGEE property of fifty acres, their joint property being 210 acres. They raise fruit, hay, grain and stock. Our subject is one of the largest farmers in his town, taking an active interest in educational and religious matters, having been trustee and class
leader and superintendent of the Sunday-school and member of the M. E. church for fifty-two years.
SMITH, Ensign, was born March 10, 1830, Rensselaer county. His father, John D. Smith, died here in 1887, his wife, Priscilla, having died in 1865. They left three children, Ensign, Jesse (died in 1854), and Lydia (died in 1878). Ensign married February 20, 1861, Charlotte,
daughter of Edwin and Lucy M. POWERS of Galen, the former of whom died in 1844 and the latter in 1879. The children of Ensign and Charlotte Smith are: Jesse, born January 17, 1862, was murdered January 15, 1887, at Chattanooga, Tenn., by a fellow boarder, to whom he had loaned
money, and upon demanding it, was stabbed to death; John E., born January 7, 1864, now operating the homestead farm; Jennie, born October 14, 1865, the wife of Charles VANDERPOOL of Savannah; Luther and Lucy, born January 14, 1869. Luther married Bessie MARRIOTT of Galen and
they live in Cleveland, Ohio. Lucy is the wife of Ethan CALKINS of Lyons; Everett, born April 13, 1871; Herbert S., born April 30, 1872, now in Cleveland, O., and Lester R., born March 14, 1877.
ANDERSON, E. B., a native of Palmyra, was born in 1852, was educated at the Palmyra Union School, and went to Chicago in 1869. Here he remained three years in connection with the chief grain inspector's office of the Board of Trade, and for seven years was cashier in a wholesale
business there. Returning to Palmyra in 1879, he married in 1884, Elizabeth H., daughter of Willis T. GAYLORD, of Sodus, N. Y., and they have had two children: Gaylord W. and Edwin W. Mr. Anderson has served one year as village president, and three years in the Board of Education,
and has been connected with the coal trade for fifteen years.
ALBRIGHT, John H., was born in Ontario, March 26, 1845, the son Abraham Albright, born in 1816, on the Atlantic Ocean while his parents were on their way from Holland to America. Abraham was reared on the farm and was a farmer all his life. The subject of our sketch was also brought up on the farm,
and was educated at Sodus and Walworth Academies. He worked for his father until of age when he purchased a farm of seventy-five acres. He also has an interest in and charge of the homestead farm of 200 acres. He has a twenty four acre vineyard of Niagara grapes and raises other small fruits. In
1874 he was married to Miss Joanna H. JOHNSON of Williamson, daughter of the late James Johnson, and they have one son, J. Stanley, born October 24, 1878. Mr. and Mrs. Albright are members of South Shore Grange, No. 552, and they attend the Presbyterian church at Ontario Centre.
AUSTIN, Orlando, was born in Williamson, April 3, 1826, a son of Pasqua and Margaret (DAVIS), natives of Washington County. The grandfather of our subject was Pasqua Austin, a native of Rhode Island born in 1765, who came to Williamson about 1771, and died in 1834. The father of our subject came to
Williamson in 1824, and bought part of the farm now owned by Orlando, to which he added later, retiring from active life at the age of sixty-five. He died in 1886 and his wife in 1876. Orlando was reared on the farm and lived at home until the age of thirty. He then went to Iowa and superintended
railroad work for a time, and then went to Wisconsin for a short time; thence to Chicago in 1856, when he invested in real estate. In 1858 he returned to this town, and three years later engaged as traveling salesman for nursery stock. Six years later he went west and engaged in the nursery business with
Frank Norris, of Brighton, selling out to him after one year, and going to Iowa, where he engaged in the forest tree nursery business for four years. In 1876 he came to Williamson and married (1877) Clarissa M. BARKER of Pittsford. They resided in Pittsford five years. He then engaged in the real estate business
in Rochester two years, afterwards traveling in the interest of a soda and baking powder house for a year. He then returned to Williamson and bought the homestead, where he has since lived. The place consists of 100 acres of fine land, on which he has made many improvements. He is member of Pultneyville Lodge,
No. 159, F. & A. M. Mr. and Mrs. Austin have one daughter, Lula C.
ANDERSON, George, son of Peter and Pamelia Anderson, was born in Wayne county, April 21, 1859. Beside himself, there were Jennie and Lillie, who both died in 1884; John, now also resides in Savannah, and Kate, the wife of Charles READE, jr., of this place. Peter Anderson came from Seneca into Wayne county when
a young man, and cleared a farm four miles northwest of Savannah. At this time he is seventy-five years of age, and lives a retired life at South Sodus. His wife, Pamelia, was a daughter of John W. HADDON, and died September 15, 1884. The boyhood of our subject was spent in Savannah, where he acquired an excellent
education, and he married December 4,1878, Lottie, daughter of Charles REED of Savannah. They have three children: Cora, born September 15, 1880; Minnie, born May 9, 1882; Ross P., born February 22, 1887. Mr. Anderson is a man of so retiring nature that only intimate friends recognize his real worth and ability.
He built in 1884 a very handsome modern residence.
ALLEN, Joseph, a native of Mansfield, Conn., born June 19, 1820, came with his parents to Oneida county the same year, and to Newark, Wayne county in 1839. Two years later he removed to Palmyra, and entered the machine shop of Eldridge WILLIAMS. IN 1842 he began the manufacture of scales here, and in 1844 manufactured
the Fairbanks scales comprising all the different styles. In 1855 he commenced selling dry goods and groceries, at the same time continuing the manufacture of scales and agricultural implements, having a general store, and this he has followed for the past thirty years. He has a large store, fifty-six feet front and
110 feet deep, comprising two and a half stories.
ALBORN, Edward F., was born in Waddington, Eng., January 22, 1846, the fifth child of ten children born to Edward and Elizabeth (GREEN) Alborn, natives of England. Edward came to Ontario in 1854, but soon moved to Walworth, and there the father died in July, 1892. His wife survives him and resides in that town. Edward
was nine years of age when his parents came to Ontario. He was reared on a farm, educated in the common schools, and has been a contractor and miner of iron ore in Ontario for ten years. At present he is a farmer, and owns 115 acres of land. In addition to farming he is interested in stock and fruit raising. Mr. Alborn
is a Prohibitionist, and is a member of the Presbyterian church of Ontario Centre. On February 18, 1874, he married Eliza LOLLEY, a native of Ontario, and daughter of Thomas and Sarah Lolley, natives of England, he from Yorkshire and she from Kent. Seven children were born to Mr. Alborn and wife: Edward T., Joseph A.,
Cora B., Charles W., Floyd A., Lewis P., and Clarence L. Indian relics have been plowed up on the farm Mr. Alborn now owns.
ALDEN, Hiram, was born in Kenosha, Wis., January 25, 1847. His father was a native of Wayne county, moved to Wisconsin and died there in 1847. Hiram was educated in the common schools and finished at the Sodus Academy, after which he returned to his grandfather, Ede Alden. At the age of thirty-two he married Mattie E., daughter of George W. PETERSON of Sheboygan county, Wis., and the are the parents of one son, E. Leroy and one daughter, Myrtie I. In 1875 he bought the Alvah BRUNDAGE estate of seventy-six acres, raising hay, grain and stock and small fruits, taking an intelligent interest in educational and religious matters.
ALLEN, Charles E., was born in Ontario, May 1, 1861, the son of Jeremiah and Maria GRANT Allen, natives of Ontario. Jeremiah Allen was a farer. He and his wife were members of the M.E. church. He died in September, 1882. Our subject was reared on a farm, and educated in the Rochester Union Schools. He has always been a
farmer and owns seventy-five acres of land. January 22, 1883, he married Ada COYER of Oswego, and they have two children, Bertha M. and Clifford F. Mrs. Allen is a daughter of Benjamin and Eliza Coyer, who resided in Oswego many years, where both died when Mrs. Allen was a child.
ALLEN, F. S., was born June 22, 1857, the son of Jeremiah and Maria GRANT Allen, mentioned in this work. The subject of this sketch was reared on a farm, and educated in the common schools, and he now owns twenty-five acres of land and raises small fruits. He married Addie CONE, of Ontario, daughter of George B. Cone,
who died in 1882. Mr. and Mrs. Allen have one son, Jay M., born July 17, 1881.
ALLEN, Henry C., was born in the town of Root, Montgomery county, February 8, 1837, and is the oldest of five children of Abram P. and Emeline (VORHEES) Allen. The grandfather was Prince Allen, and the grandmother, Ruth (PRATT) Allen, were both born in Washington county, N.Y., and in the early day settled in Montgomery county,
where they lived and died. The father of our subject came to Marion in 1856, where he resided until his death, January 4, 1859, and his wife in October, 1868. Of the family there are three sons and one daughter now living. Elisha P. was in the Rebellion, and was wounded at Gettysburg, where he died from his wounds and was
buried in the national cemetery. Our subject was reared upon the farm and has always followed farming and carpentry. He also buys and sells apples and is quite largely engaged in fruit growing. He married, in 1862, Louisa M., daughter of J. H. BILBY. They have one son, Elmer J. Allen, who resides with them and works the farm. His
wife is Carrie N. PULVER, of Marion, and they have one son, Wayne. Mr. Allen has been supervisor of the town, and is a member of the A. O. U. W. of Marion.
AUSTIN, William C., born in Williamson, May 21, 1822, is the son of Nathan L. and Dorcase (CONGDON) Austin, natives of Washington county, who came to Williamson in 1819. He died February 19, 1872, and his wife June 7, 1879. The grandfather was Pasqua Austin, born June 3, 1765(3?), and died August 5, 1 834. His wife was Penelope
LEE, born in 1777, and died November 22, 1830. Subject was educated in the common schools and at the Marion Academy, and followed farming until twenty years of age, when he engaged in speculating in stock, which he followed sixteen years. He then engaged in the mercantile business in Marion, and built the store now occupied by Mr.
PEER. He was appointed postmaster, and held the office six years. He engaged in the undertaking business and continued until April 1, 1894, when he sold to Scott B. CURTIS. He was deputy sheriff a short time, but resigned and was justice of peace for four years. He married, in 1850, Armina BOYCE, a native of Washington county,
and daughter of Peter and Eunice (DAVIS) Boyce, who came from Washington county to Marion and went West, and Mr. Boyce in Morley, Mo., and his wife in Chicago, Ill. The maternal grandfather of subject was John CONGDON, a native of Rhode Island, who came to Washington county in an early day, where he died.
AIKIN, John B., represents one of the pioneer families of the locality. His parents, John and Margaret (YOUNG) AIKEN, came into Butler county sixty years ago, and their original domicile was a log house, a residence which, however, seemed conducive to longevity, as they reached and adorned age. John B. acquired a good education during
the palmy days of the old academy at Red Creek, and upon the attainment of his majority became a tiller of the soil. As commissioner of roads, and of excise, he has demonstrated public office to be a personal trust. In 1864 he married Josephine WADSWORTH, of Butler, by whom he had two children, who died in infancy, and a son and
daughter, who remain: William J. and Nellie M.
BARKER, David E., of Macedon, was born in Monroe county, May 23, 1853, a son of William G., who was born in Canada June 24, 1809, and came to the United States at an early age. He settled in Dutchess county and engaged in farming, which he followed all his life. William G. married Caroline CORNELL, daughter of William Cornell, and they
had eight children, four now living. She was of the family of Friends. David E. was the youngest child. He was educated at the Macedon Academy, and married Fannie Baker. He, like his father, has always followed agriculture. He married second, Alice GREEN, of Michigan, November 1, 1883, by whom he has two children: Adda and William. Mr. Barker
is a Granger, and a Republican in politics.
BRADLEY, William, was born in Lyons, April 7, 1819. His father, Thomas, was a native of Londonderry, Ireland, came to the United States and settled in Alloway (a small hamlet in South Lyons), and entered the employ of Captain H. Towar. In 1818 he married Miss Louanna BRADLEY, who came from Litchfield, Conn., and soon after bought what has been known since that time as the Bradley Farm on the old Pre-emption road in South Lyons. William was educated in the common schools, to which he has added through life by reading and close observation. At the age of thirty-six he married Catherine J., daughter of William A. TELLER, and they are the parents of five children, three of whom, H. Seymour, Charles W., and Mrs. Rosie HORN, are now living. Mrs. Maggie A. TERNOUTH died at Albany in 1884. Rev. David L. Bradley was a very highly educated man, had served as pastor two years at Cape Vincent, had commenced his third year when at twenty-eight years of age, he received a summons from the master her served and loved so well, to lay down his burdens, to receive his reward. Our subject is one of the prominent farmers in his town. In 1857 he bought the William Ennis property of sixty-eight acres in South Lyons, to which he has added, taking an active interest in educational and religious matters.
BLAKER, Benjamin C., of Macedon Centre, was born in Monroe county, July 24, 1830, a son of Petrocles Baker, a native of Pennsylvania, born in 1800, who came to New York State at an early day and settled in Henrietta, Monroe county, where he took up farming. He never came to Wayne county to reside. He was a mason in early life, but in his later years
devoted his attention to farming. He married Mariah CARTER, of New Jersey, by whom he had these children: Mary J., Benjamin C., Thomas, Elizabeth, Beulah, Martha, and Ruth A., the latter and Elizabeth being deceased. In 1858 our subject married Mary FRITTS, of Monroe county, and
they have four children: Minnie, who died, aged nineteen years; Clarence, who is
married and resides on the homestead; Nellie, a graduate of Macedon Academy; and Dora, also a graduate of the Chautauqua Litery and Scientific Circle.
BROWN, Elisha, a native of New Jersey, was born in 1807, and at the age of seventeen years came to Williamson, where he lived some time. He then bought a farm in Marion, and resided there several years, and then located in Palmyra in 1846, and there spent the remainder of his life, dying in December, 1893. His first wife was Cyntha HOAG, by whom he had three children: Alfred, now of Illinois; William, who died young; and Frances, now Mrs.
J.W GUERNEY, of Palmyra. Mrs. Brown died, and he married second, Mary, daughter of Stephen DURFEE, by whom he had four children: Garrison, now of Illinois; Emily, wife of William H. NICHOLS, of Iowa; Joseph s., who now resides in Nebraska; and Edwin D., who lives on part of the home farm. The latter was born in 1858, and was educated in Palmyra, where he has always lived. In 1891 he married Alida L. HARRINGTON, daughter of Hiram Harrington, a
native of Washington county, and they have one child, Raymond H., born August 31, 1892. The mother of our subject died in 1881. His father's farm consists of 162 acres, purchased of Stephen Durfee, and of this Edwin D. owns fifty acres.
BRYANT, Lewis J., was born in Newark, February 1, 1835, educated in the Union school and academy, and his early life was spent on the homestead farm, and later in the nursery business and market gardening on the farm, near the village. The homestead comprises fifty-five acres. February 23, 1859, he married Jane C. CHURCH, formerly of Madison county, and they had two sons: L. Rae, who married Elizabeth HOELTZEL, of Newark, and has one son: L. Henry
(the fifth generation on the home farm); and Lynn T., who assists his father in the business. James Y., father of our subject, was born in Essex county, N.J., September 6, 1801, and his parents removed to Cayuga county in 1804, and to Newark in 1806. October 29, 1828, he married Betsey DARLAND, of Newark, and they had three children: Lydia A., Lewis J., and Francis Y. He died in January, 1871, and his widow survives at the age of ninety years.
Simeon, grandfather of Lewis J., came here in 1806, and bought the home farm from Phelps & Gorham's land office in Geneva. Mrs. Bryant's father, Benjamin Church, was born in Madison county, September 2, 1816,and married Sarah OSBORNE, a native of England, and they had four children: Charles, Jane C., George W., and Adelia S. He died, December 9, 1880, and his widow resides with her daughter, Mrs. Bryant.
BARTLE, Andrew C., was born in Wayne county December 2, 1828, and received his higher education at the Genesee Wesleyan
Seminary at Lima, and at Clinton Liberal Institute. In early life he served as clerk in a wholesale hardware store in New York
city. In 1853 he came to Newark, and engaged in lumbering with B. F. WRIGHT, under the firm name of Bartle & Wright, which continued two years. From 1855 to 1868 he carried on the business alone in Newark with a branch in Clyde, then took as partner Mr. Eames, this firm still continuing in Newark. May 10, 1854, he married Mary A. MULFORD, of Hulberton, Orleans couty, they have one daughter, Charlotte. Mr. Bartle's father, James P., was born in Freehold, Greene county, July 3, 1791, and was a colonel in the war of 1812. While a young man he came to Newark, and married Louisa B. McNEIL, of Deerfield, Oneida county, by whom he had five children: Antoinette A., Andrew C., Louisa T., Adelaide C., and Alice S. James P.
Bartle was also the first postmaster in Newark, continuing until 1840. He was the first worshipful master of Newark Lodge No. 83, F. and A. M., and the first high priest of Newark Chapter No. 1 17, R. A. M. He died January 24, 1863, and his wife January 6, 1873. Andrew C. is a member of Newark Lodge No. 83, F. and A. M., and of Chapter 117, of Newark R. A. M., also of Monroe Commandery, Rochester, No. 12, K. T., and also a member of the A. O. U. W., No. 116. First two stores for general merchandise, distillery, boat-yard, produce business and various other branches of business, and identified with village improvements, erecting churches, hotels, printing offices and building roads and bridges.
BURNHAM, Hon. Edwin K., was born in Randolph, Vt., September 8, 1839, educated in the common schools and the Royalton Academy and completing his studies at the Orange County (Vt.) Grammar School. In 1862 he enlisted in Company C., 15th Vermont Infantry, and was at the
battle of Gettysburg, being honorably discharged as sergeant in 1863. In the spring of 1864 he graduated at the Albany Law School, and was admitted to practice in the courts of the State. In June of the same year he came to Newark and entered upon the practice of his profession as a partner of James E. Briggs, a native of his own State. In September of the same year he re-enlisted into the army, and October 10, 1864, was commissioned captain of Company D., 111th Regiment, N.Y. Infantry, and went with his regiment, participating in the engagements in and around Petersburg until taken prisoner April 2, 1865. He was returned to his regiment April 9, the day of Lee's surrender, and honorably discharged June 4, 1865. Returning to Newark he began the practice of law, and in 1872 he founded the Newark Union. In the fall of 1884 he was elected to the Legislature, and was largely instrumental in the passage of a bill establishing the Custodial Asylum for Feeble-Minded Women at Newark, which is now a flourishing State institution, and of which he is secretary
and a member of the Board of Trustees. In June, 1889, he was appointed superintendent of public buildings, which position he filled with credit and honor. One of the first innovations made by him was the rule that the national flag should float from the staff of the capitol every week day through the year, which was the origin of the movement to display the flag on public school buildings. Mr. Burnham owns a half interest in the Wayne County Preserving Company at Newark, and has twenty acres devoted to fruit and vegetable growing. He has served as justice of the peace eight years and as supervisor four terms. August 31, 1865, he married Nancy A. Dillingham, a niece of Governor Dillingham, and of their four children one daughter died in infancy, the others are George A., Edwin D., and Helen E. Mr. Burnham is a member of Vosburgh Post No. 99, G. A. R., of which he has been commander four terms. He is also a member of Newark Lodge No. 83, F. & A. M., and also of the I. O. O. F. No. 250, of the A. O. U. W. No. 17, and of the Grange.
BRINK, A. C., born May 20, 1863, at North Wolcott, is the son of Emmons Brink, who is a producer and shipper of small fruits at that place. He received his education at Red Creek Seminary, prosecuted the study of law in the office of Anson S. Wood, and was for four
years in the office of Freeman & Green, of New York. In 1882 he secured admission to the Wayne county bar, and began practice in Wolcott. Mr. Brink is a Republican and a successful lawyer. He was traveled extensively through the west, being engaged for several years in the negotiation of real estate upon the Pacific coast, and also in Chicago, Ill.
BARNES, R. R., was born in Van Buren, Onondaga county, November 21, 1849. His father, Asa Barnes, was a prominent farmer of that town. He died in 1870, aged eighty-two years. R. R. Barnes was educated at the Baldwinsville Academy and Cazenovia Seminary, after which he returned
to his father's farm. March 1, 1 872, he came to Clyde and purchased the business of R. R. Mattison, being associated with Eugene P. Reed. In 1874 he purchased Mr. Reed's interest, and is now carrying one of the largest and best selected stocks of clothing and men's furnishing
goods in Wayne county. At the age of twenty-five he married Edna A., daughter of Henry W. Le Vanway, and they are the parents of three children: Bertram W., Le Van R., and Curtis B. Our subject is one of the longest established merchants in his town.
BASTIAN, George B., was born in the town of Galen, Wayne county, May 29, 1852. His father, Michael, a native of Alsace, Germany, came to the United States in 1835, and settled in Oneida county, removing to Galen in 1837. George B. received a common school education. At the age of twenty-one he married Carrie, daughter of George Ehresman, of Lyons, and they are the parents of four children: George H., Ella B., Eva L., and Meda Belle. In 1881 he and his brother purchased 320 acres of land about a mile and a half south of the village, afterwards dividing
the property, each taking one-half. He is one of the leading farmers of the locality, and is engaged in raising hay, grain, fruit, stock, etc., also runs a milk dairy, averaging 200 quarts daily. Our subject takes an active interest in politics, being a Democrat. He was elected
town assessor in 1886 and served three years.
BENNETT, Charles, was born in Williamson, January 20, 1822, and is a son of Josiah and Ruth Bennett, mentioned in this work. Our subject was educated in the Palmyra and Marion Academies. He has always been a farmer and owns eighty-five acres of land, on which his father settled.
Mr. Bennet was a Whig, and assisted in organizing the Republican party, of which he has since been a member. He has been collector one year and assessor nine years, and also trustee of the school for several years. He was a member of the I. O. O. F. Mr. Bennett married twice; first Delia Warner, of Sodus, they had six children, of whom five are living: J. Warner, who has been a postal clerk for fifteen years and is now a druggist in Williamson, he married Lelia Brown, of Richville; Josiah, died in infancy; Ellen W.; C. Fred; Edward A.; Mamie C. Mrs. Bennett died in 1871, and Mr. Bennett married for a second wife Mrs. Phebe I. Bishop, of Richville, N.Y. She had two children by a former husband, Mattie I., and Errie R. Bishop. There was born to Mr. and Mrs. Bennett one daughter, Jennie D., now married to Mr. I. Brasser, of Buffalo.
BISHOP, John Calvin, was born February 7, 1829, a son of Captain Chauncey Bishop, of Rose, being the eighth generation in America, from John Bishop, who emigrated to Guilford, Conn., in 1639. Necessity compelled an early departure from home of some of the children to earn their own support, and John C. began teaching in the town of Lyons, November 2, 1845, before he was seventeen. He was successful and continued teaching and attending school for the next ten years. He graduated at Normal school at Albany, April 4, 1850. At Albany he was attacked by cholera and
just escaped death. He studied surveying and engineering under Prof. George R. Perkins, and though he has lived on a farm his chief occupation is engineering. His wife was Mary Skilton Avery, a descendant in the seventh generation from Christian Avery, who emigrated from England in
1630. She is of the family known as "The Averys, of Groton." The most distinguished member of the family from Wayne county was the late Hon. John H. Camp, of Lyons, a descendant of Christopher Avery. The Skiltons were an old Connecticut family. The children of John C. and Mary Bishop
were all born at Pilgrimport, their present residence. The first born, Anna, died in 1870, aged fifteen. Charles Avery, the oldest son, is a farmer in Tyre, Seneca county. His wife was Jane E., daughter of William Smart, who came from England to Lyons about 1854. Their home is five miles
south of Savannah village. They have five children. He is a representative man of the best type of young American farmers. Lincoln, the next son, also a farmer, resides at Pilgrimport. His wife was Francis Louise, daughter of William Barrett, who is a grandson of Elder Barrett, the Rose
Baptist preacher of seventy years ago. John C. and Lincoln live as one family, Lincoln doing considerable surveying every year, being a competent and skillful engineer. The youngest daughter, Sarah, is at home unmarried. The youngest son, John Skilton, born September, 1861, was educated
in the Lyons Union School, Union University and the Albany Law School. He had seven diplomas of graduation,and had been admitted to the bar in Albany on a Supreme Court examination before he finished his course in the law school. He went to Lincoln, Neb., in 1887. The Western Banker,
a commercial publication of Chicago, issue of May 15, 1894, contains a portrait and sketch of his life and character. June 20, 1894, he married Cora L. Knapp, of Rose Valley, N. Y. She is the eldest daughter of E. H. Knapp, esq., who belongs to the family of Knapps residing in Butler. They are
of Connecticut stock, and date back to colonial times.
BENJAMIN, William, was born in the town of Westmoreland, Oneida county, in 1800, a son of Benjamin Benjamin, who was a blacksmith, with limited means and a large family. William, together with two older brothers, worked and paid for eighty acres of land for their father. At the age of thirty-two years William married Nancy Shaver, and moved to Butler, Wayne county, on the farm he had previously bought. At this time the town was nearly an unbroken wilderness, only a small clearing around each log house. Selling this he moved to Rose, this county, where he continued to
prosper, and at his death in his sixty-fourth year, had accumulated a large property. Both he and wife were devoted to charity and Christianity. Their son, Manley F., was born in Rose, this county, in 1837, and served his parents faithfully until his majority, when his father placed him in the
position of financial manager of his business, which post he held until his father's death. Soon afterwards he bought the entire estate, carrying it on up to 1875, when he sold the farm, and married Jennie Stewart, daughter of William Stewart, of Clyde. They had two children: Roscoe, who
died at the age of eight years; and Carlisle. Mr. and Mrs. Benjamin are interested in all religious and educational matters.
BRADLEY, Judd B., was born in Lyons, August 8, 1852. His father, B. J., came to Wayne county with his parents in 1805 and settled on the farm now occupied by Judd B., who was educated in the common schools and finished at the Lyons Union School. Afterward he returned to his father's farm, which he
bought in 1881, and which has been in the family since 1803, having two hundred and twenty-five acres, raising hay, grain and stock, making a specialty of Jersey stock. At the age of twenty-four he married Elda A., daughter of H. W. Palmer, of Port Gibson. Our subject is one of the largest farmers
in the town, identified in advancing its best interests. He is in possession of deeds transferring some of the land from the English government to his grandfather, Judd B. Bradley.
BURNETT, William, was born in Phelps, Ontario county, January 20, 1824. His father, James, was a native of Little Britain, N. Y. The family originally came from Scotland and celebrated their one hundred fiftieth anniversary in 1890, on the old farm. James Burnett and his father came to the town of Phelps about 1800 and was a well known man and prominent farmer in that town. William was educated at Marion, Lyons and Clinton, and in 1848 entered in sophomore class at Union College, Schenectady, and graduated in the classical course in 1851; after which he taught school nine years. In 1866 he came to Clyde, engaged in the mercantile business, continued five years, and since then has been engaged in surveying and civil engineering. At the age of thirty-eight he married Loretta, daughter of Henry Van Tassel, and they have one daughter, Katherine D., who is a graduate of St. Lawrence University
and of New York Medical College and Hospital for Women. Dr. Burnett is a practicing physician in Brooklyn, N. Y. Our subject takes an active interest in educational matters.
BARRETT, George D., was born in Hooksett, New Hampshire, January 9, 1846. His father, William H. Barrett, was a prominent contractor and builder of that town, paying particular attention to railroad work. H e was lieutenant-colonel of the Eighth New Hampshire Regiment, entering the service as captain, was promoted for bravery and meritorious conduct. He died in 1871, aged fifty-seven years. G. D. Barrett was educated in the high schools of Nashua, New Hampshire, entering Dartmouth Medical College in 1875, graduating in the class of 1828, and first opened an office in Boston. He then removed to North Abington, remaining until 1884, and the same year came to Marengo, remaining until 1893. He located in Clyde in November, 1894, and established a general practice. At the age of thirty-two he married Mary H., daughter of Alfred Randall, of Boston, and they have had two children: Grace M. and George C.; the latter died in childhood. Our subject was formerly a member of the Massachusetts Medical Society, is now a member of the Wayne County Medical Society and health officer of the town of Galen. Dr. Barrett early developed a desire for travel. At sixteen years of age he took a three months' trip to the Bahama Islands and Gulf of Mexico; in 1867 visited Canada, stopping among the Canadians over six months; in 1869, a trip to Mexico by way of Isthmus of Panama; to Mazatlan, on west coast, nearly a year was devoted to that country, and five years to California and Nevada.
BLACKBURN, John A., was born in Iredell county, North Carolina, October 14, 1828, and was educated in the common schools, to which he has added by reading and close observation. Afterward he established the hardware business in Hillville, Carroll county, Va., continuing four years. In 1855 he came to Lyons and purchased the fanning mill factory of S. D. Van Wickle, continuing the manufacture until 1863, when he established the agricultural implement business, which he continues up to the present time. At the age of thirty-two he married Margaret M., daughter of Jesse Smith, of Lyons, and they are the parents of three daughters; Mrs. Jesse Van Camp, Isabel and Grace. Our subject is one of the leading men in his town, taking an active interest in educational and religious matters.
BOCKOVER, H. S., was born in the town of Galen, in 1834. His father, Samuel, was one of the prominent farmers of the town of Galen. H. S. Bockoven was educated in the common schools, and at the age of twenty-eight married Ada, daughter of Israel Roy, by whom he has two daughters: Edna R., and Gertrude A. He has ninety-eight acres of some of the best land in Wayne county, and raises mint, fruit, hay, grain and stock. Our subject is recognized as one of the representative men of his town, taking an active interest in school and church matters.
IMPORTANT: The site coordinators and site volunteers have no information about persons, events, or
locations, mentioned in these personal sketches. We thank you in advance for not emailing us, but directing ALL requests for information to the Office of the County Historian.
Cowles' Family Sketch Index
Family Bios Page
Copyright © 2005 - 2011 M. Magill
Wayne County NYGenWeb
A County Site of the USGenWeb Project
All Rights Reserved.