Wednesday, June 1, 1904

Transcribed and Contributed by Diana Niedermeier

The following was transcribed from the The Wolcott Courier, a newspaper published in Wolcott, N.Y. containing detailed local news about eastern and northern Wayne county. All first and surname spellings are as in the original. Many, many thanks to Diana Niedermeier for her many hours of transcribing, and contributing for our enjoyment!



Roscoe J. youngest son of Mr. and Mrs. A.B. Phillips of North Wolcott, died at their home last Wednesday afternoon,May 25th, 1904, at 3:45 0'clock; his age was 9 years, 10 months and 1 day, being born in Butler on July 24th, 1894.

About two years ago the little fellow complained of slight pains in his limbs, but the parents thinking it was the result of play advised him not to play too roughly and let it pass. Later on the boy was stricken down with fever from which he was very sick. Eight months ago he was taken with what was called rheumatic fever from which he did not recover, being able to step on his feet by twice during the time.

Little Roscoe Phillips was truly an exception among children of today, inasmuch as his sole aim during his young life was to shrink from every evil both in action and words. We are told by his parents that never had they even heard a slang word escape his lips. His mind seemed to be always on doing and being good, and during his eight months suffering, he was patient to the last. Just before he breathed his last, he raised his eyes to his mother and whispered something. Not understanding his words, she asked him what he said, and fixing his eyes upon some visionary object, he said: "Near the boat, mamma, near the boat".

She repeated the words after him in a questioning tone, and he moved his head in assent, and his little soul entered the boat and was borne away.

The funeral was held from the house on Friday at 11:00 o'clock a. m., Rev. M.S. Mowers, pastor of the North Wolcott M.P. church officiating. Burial was made in the Thorn cemetery.

The bereaved parents desire through our columns to express their sincere thanks to all who kindly assisted them through the sickness and death of their child, and for the deep sympathy extended to them in their sorrow.


The residence of Thomas Kerr on Wright street is up and fast nearing completion.

The walls for the Baptist personage and the residence of Chars. Moore both on New Hartford street, are completed and the other work will be rapidly pushed along.

A telegram was received in Rose last week announcing the death by drowning of Arthur Miner, second son of Mr. and Mrs. William Miner which occurred at Traverse City, Mich., last Thursday morning. He was 30 years of age and is survived by his parents Mr. and Mrs. William Miner, and four sisters, Mrs. Edward C. Kiley of Rose, Mrs. Ira Caster of Red Creek, and Misses Jennie and Flora of Rose, and two brothers, Irving and Leon, also of Rose. The remains will be brought home for burial.

The business men at Sodus Point have taken an important step. At a meeting held at the Loney Hotel they ormed the Sodus Point Business Men's Association last week. C.J. Hopkins was chosen secretary and chairman of the society, and the following general committee was appointed: Captain W.H. Fields, representing the steamboat interests, C.J. Hopkins, representing the railway interest, C.T. DoVille, representing the rowboat interests, and J.M. Loney, representing the hotel interests. The object of the association is to furnish attractions at Sodus Point the coming summer. Heretofore the attractions have been extremely limited, and the men have not worked in unison. They have now taken action which means the puplic(sic) will be better served, and the business men will reap good results. To show how well the Sodus Point men are working together all that need be mentioned is the fact that it took only five minutes at the meeting to raise $115.


The June session of the Wayne County Pomona Grange will be held in Red Creek Wednesday, June 22. The work of conferring the degree will take place in the afternoon, and an open session will be held in the evening.

The officers will arrive on 12:08 train and the session will be called at 2:00p.m.

The exercises in the evening will be in charge of Mrs. Norris of Sodus, assisted by members of the order.

Visitors will be cared for during their stay by members of the local Grange.


A photograph of A.B. Williams of Sodus, was printed in the Syracuse Sunday Herald of a week ago with the following interesting sketch of his business life, which we copy believing it will be of interest to many of our readers.

"For more than thirty years Alexander B. Williams of Sodus has been known as the "Dried Apple King." During that time he has handled 200 carloads of evaporated fruit annually, or more than $25,000,000 worth.

Of late many others have gone into the industry and are now doing a large business. This has added to the business interests of this section and combined to make the territory along Lake Ontario between Charlotte and Oswego the greatest evaporated fruit district in the world.

The fruit ranks the finest in the world and won the principle medals at the Paris exposition. Mr. Williams had a special display at the fair, and he received many orders from notable men of Europe asking for small packages of the fruit, which they wished to keep as souvenirs.

For twenty years Sodus has been the center of the dried fruit industry and Mr. Williams name has been known thoughout the civilized world. Men have traveled many miles to see him because of his reputation. The business was first introduced here by Mr. Williams and it has now reached many States, scores of men going from Wayne county to various States each year to instruct others. The Legislature recently passed a measure to protect the industry and the bill was signed by Governor Odell. It is done to keep the fruit pure and to sustain New York State's reputation abroad.

Mr. Williams was born in Sodus and spent his boyhood days upon a farm. Then he became a clerk, receiving only $4 a month for his service, which compelled him to arise at 4 o'clock in the morning and prepare the United States mail, which then left by stage, and he was also obliged to wait until late at night for the stage to return with the mail from Rochester. When 20 years old he went to Saginaw, Mich., where he added to his knowledge of the mercantile business. He returned to Wayne county and opened a general store. Mr. Williams daily attends to his duties despite his advanced years. He is a great believer in exercise, walking many miles each day. His health is splendid. Between the evaporated fruit business and his general store he has amassed a fortune.


Dr. Tillapaugh was in Altmar this week on business.

Milton Miles visited his parents in Wolcott over Sunday.

Miss Mable Lytle was home from Gloversville over Sunday.

Mrs. H.H. Sharp of Red Creek, spent Saturday in Wolcott.

E.W. Newberry was in Rochester a couple of days this week.

Mrs. J.E. Lawrence left this morning for Newark, Palmyra and Rochester.

Benj. Quance returned from Newark Monday, after an absence of several weeks.

Mrs. Frank Green and Miss Ina Vought were in Clyde last week Wednesday.

Claude Quick and wife visited at Ammon Rice's north of Wolcott over Sunday.

James Boyd and wife went to Sodus Saturday and remained over Decoration Day.

A.B. Sabin is at Hilton today attending the funeral of Miss Beatrice Chapple.

Mr. and Mrs. G.H. Northup and daughter Ruth arrived home from New York last week.

Decatur Rice and wife of Watertown, visited his sister, Mrs. J.J. Tillapaugh, this week.

Mrs. Charles Wells of Fair Haven, spent Sunday with her mother, Mrs. Nabby Ward, in this village.

Miss Jennie Vickery, who has been absent from Wolcott for some time, returned home Saturday.

Merritt Bennett of Geneva, made a flying visit to his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Merritt Bennett, Sr., of Wolcott Sunday.

Ira Foster and wife of Sodus, drove over to Wolcott Sunday night and spent Memorial Day with her mother,Mrs. Emma Wolven.

Miss Belle G. Palmer and her friend, Miss Florence Howey, of the Oswego Normal, visited her parents from Friday until Monday.

William Hawley and wife of Red Creek, were Sunday guests of his sister and husband, Mr. and Mrs., Ellery Delling, of North Wolcott.

Mrs. Elizabeth Delling and daughter Myrta of North Wolcott, visited her brother, Theodore Vought, lighthouse keeper at Fair Haven, last week Sunday.

Roy LeFevre was given a surprise Friday evening in honor of his birthday, the event being attended by his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Clark LeFevre of this village, and Mr. and Mrs. Sylvester Raynor of North Wolcott, parents of Mrs. L.


Dr. Tillapaugh came near having a serious accident Monday, but as it was, it resulted in a broken buggy. He was crossing the railroad north of the village and seeing a train close upon him, he touched his horse with the whip, whereupon the animal sprang ahead with such force as to wrench the thill from the wagon; but the vehicle was cleared from the track in time to save a total destruction of the buggy and the death of the doctor, for had he delayed an instant, the locomotive would have been upon him.


Monday, morning as Mrs. Sherman of this village, returned to Wolcott on the 7:12 train,she alighted from the 'bus in front of the postoffice and in stepping upon the walk from the street she slipped and fell on the walk striking her shoulder in such a manner as to severely wrench it.

Drs. Horton and Robertson were standing near by and both hurried to her assistance, the latter taking her into the postoffice and making an examination, but could not locate any bones broken, although she appeared to be in considerable pain about her arm and shoulder.

She was afterwards taken to her home by Mr. Metcalf and thus far we have learned no serious results.


The funeral of Miss Bessie Barrick Friday afternoon was the largest of any held in this vicinity for a long time. The services at the house were attended by a throng of people, the procession upon leaving the place being fully a half mile in length. It was, indeed, a sad spectacle, the entire attendance being sorrowing mourners.

The floral offerings were something beautiful, consisting chiefly of the choicest cut flowers arranged both in handsome bouquets and appropriate pieces.

The casket was re-opened at the cemetery for those to view the remains who were unable to go to the house. The scene was an affective one thoughout; all who looked for the last time upon the face of the dead girl turning away with grief from the casket.

Six your ladies and six your gentleman from the Wolcott High School walked beside the casket and acted as bearers as they reached the cemetery.

She sleeps; your loved one only sleeps,
  'Twill not be very long--
Her body sleeps, her soul has gone
  To join the happy throng,
You say she's dead; forever gone;
  This Bessie whom you love,
But, no, dear friends, she liveth still,
  And beckons you above,
This is not death, she only sleeps,
  This loved one, daughter, friend;
Her soul has simply made its flight
  And now rests to the end.
Yes, mother of this weary one,
  Your Bessie does but sleep--
She's resting now with Him above,
  Who comforts those who weep.
She sleeps; oh let her slumber on;
  Do not disturb that rest--
This peaceful sleep was given her
  By Him who knows what's best.
Then look to Him for strength to bear
  This pain and sorrow deep--
For He knows no such thing as death,
  'Tis an eternal sleep.

The relatives of the deceased wishes up to express their heartfelt thanks to the many friends who kindly assisted them through her sickness and death; also for the sympathy expressed in their bereavement and for the beautiful floral remembrances received.


Seymour Blauvelt died at his home on Wadsworth street yesterday morning at 2:30 o'clock; his age was 40 years, 5 months and 17 days.

Deceased was unmarried, and lived with his mother who survived him; he was a brother of Fay Blauvelt of the same street and also has another brother in the South and a sister in Huron.

The funeral will be held from the house to-morrow afternoon at 2:00 o'clock, Rev. James Guthrie of the North Huron M.P. church officiating. Burial will be made in the Lawrence annex to Levenworth cemetery.


The death of George H. Russell, an aged, highly respected and well known resident of Huron occurred at his home in that town, Friday he was 88 years of age and had been a resident of that place for many years.

Mr. Russell had been in poor health for some time, and his illness had been watched with interested by the entire community, as he had a large circle of friends.

He leaves a wife, four sons and one daughter to morn his death,

The funeral was held from the house Monday at 11:00 o'clock A.M., Rev. W.H. Latimer officiating; he had been a member of the M.E. church for 65 years.

Burial was made in Leavenworth cemetery.


The remains of Jonathan W. Vickory arrived here from Chicago Sunday; he died at his home in that city Thursday from heart disease. His age was about 61 years.

Deceased was a brother of Mrs. Anson S. Wood and Miss Jennnie Vickory of this place, and the body was taken to the home of Mr. Wood where services were held. Rev. Charles T. Shaw officiating.

Besides his sisters in Wolcott, he leaves a wife and several other immediate relatives; his death was very sudden.

Burial was made in the Vickory lot in Leavenworth cemetery, where a number of the family are buried.


Ellery Delling of North Wolcott sold a horse to Mr. Barrus of Fair Haven, last week.

Samuel Perry has made a vast improvement(sic) in the appearance of his premises on East Port Bay street by grading and seeding the front yard leading down to the street.

T.G.Henderson has bought out the Dobbin milk route and now conducts the entire business in Wolcott. The deal was closed the past week, Mr. Dobbin accepting an offer made by Mr. Henderson some time ago.

Hiram Frazer informs us that one of his neighbors beats the record in the time of hatching chickens. The hen was set and in four days from the time she was put on the eggs she came off with a brood of your chicks. It seems that another hen had started the work before, however.

No new cases of small-pox in Wolcott and the quarantines have all been raised, therefore everything appears to be quiet and the town is ready for other excitement. What will it be? Dr. Housten informs us that the wife of Truman Warner of Huron, is down with the disease and is in a bad condition; he also reports the child of Mr. Warner as being sick with it, also the wife of John Warner.


The Ladies' Aid of the Baptist church will meet with Mrs. John Palmer at her home on Lake avenue Tuesday afternoon, June 7th.


William Chappell of North Wolcott, is still very sick.

R.H. Kelly's condition does not improve very much; he is yet unable to sit up.

Some time ago Mrs. Nicholas Vought received quite a severe injury by a horse stepping on her foot; she is much better now, but we learn she has been unable to step on it for some time and has suffered considerable pain from the bruise.

We are informed that a letter has been received from the superintendant of Willard hospital stating the outlook in the case of James M. Knowlton, who was sent to that institution some time ago, from Butler, is very unfavorable and it is thought he will always continue in that same state of delusion as when taken there.



Word was received here Monday announcing the death of Miss Beatrice Chapple, who was taken to the home of her sister, Mrs. G.W. Ball, at Hilton, last week. Her death occurred about 1:00 o'clock Monday. She was 29 years of age.

Although deceased had been a resident of this country but a few years, she had gathered about her a large circle of admiring friends, who have always taken a kindly interest in her welfare and especially during her illness. Her mild disposition and winning manners in her everyday life made for her a warm place in the hearts of all who had occasion to meet her. She was an apt musician and made this her business for a livelihood until sickness deprived her of this means of support but, as has been stated heretofore in the COURIER, friends contributed freely both by money and attention in her behalf; and in talking with A.B. Sabin yesterday, he said

"The only thing I have to regret is that we ever allowed her to leave our home, as I truly believe and am positive that had she remained with us and received the proper care which she needed, she would have lived much longer."

It was thought the young lady was improving after being taken to Hilton, and the following card was received by Mrs. Sabin from Mrs. Ball last week, which Mr. S. requests us to print:

"Just a line to say that Kittie is feeling quite a little better. She wishes me to say she will write to you as soon as she is a little stronger, the weakness caused by the neglect being quite apparent still."

But she did not gain the strength to carry out her plans; her life was too far gone, and the friends who were so kind to her during her illness can only think and be assured that their work was heartily appreciated by herself and friends.

Besides being a graduate of the London musical college, Miss Chapple was also a talented artist, and Mr. Sabin has a picture she painted and presented to him which fully illustrates her knowledge in this art.

Mr. Sabin had engaged Mrs. Sarah Madan to go to Hilton and care for Miss Chapple, but death claimed her to soon.

The funeral will be held from the Ball home at Hilton to-day. Several from this place will attend.


The Wayne county Prohibitionists held their county convention in Elliott's hall Thursday. The convention was called to order by O.M. Clark of East Palmyra, and Robert L. VanDusen of Newark, acted as secretary. The convention was opened with prayer by Rev. W.H. Tryon of Alton. Delegates to the various conventions were chosen as follows;

State delegates-A.D. Clark of Alton, Thomas Bussey of Macedon, William H. Ward of Sodus, Oscar M. Clark of East Palmyra, D.J. Cotton of Savannah, George Brisbon of Clyde, Charles Hawley of Red Creek and H.S. Potter of Marion; alternates, John Buerman of Alton, O.P. Kane of Macedon, J.G. Dingman of Sodus, Cornelius Delahaye of East Palmyra, C.A, Bates of Savannah, W.C. Burdick of Lock Berlin, Joseph Richards of Wolcott and Charles Mills of Sodus.

Congressional delegates-D.J. Cotton of Savannah, Oscar M. Clark of East Palmyra, A.D. Clark of Alton, alternates, Louis Smith of Marion, Mitchell Wilson of Macedon, George Miles of Clyde.

The following nominations were made for County officers:
Superintendent of Poor, Willard Pullman of Marion; Coroner, L.J. Bryant of Newark; Assemblyman, William H. Ward of Sodus.


Manley E. Sturges was up from New York over Sunday, the guest of relatives at his old home.

Mrs. S.B. Coleman and Mrs. Charles Boyd who have been very ill are reported as holding their own, and their physician now feels hopeful of their recovery.

Friends regret to learn that on account of ill health, Miss Floy E. Norris has felt compelled to decline a re-election as teacher at Warwick, N.Y., where she has been engaged for the past two years. She will return home at an early date for a much needed rest.

Miss Lulu P. Bennett is spending a week with friends in Wolcott and Oswego.

The will of A.G. Towns has been admitted to probate and letters testamentary(sic?) issued to Mrs. Will Beckwith and Leonard D. Hood, Charles J. Andrews and George F. Hall have been appointed appraisers of the property. The estate is estimated to amount to $30,000. Two partition suits have been commenced, one by Mrs. Beckwith and the other by Mrs. Peter DeBoofer, both nieces of deceased. The latter also asks to have a deed conveying fifty-three acres of the homestead farm to Mrs. Beckwith, set aside.

John F. Hayes, Fred'k C. Webler and William Cassin are painting and otherwise improving their respective residences.

Mrs. Helen P. Bennett visited in Wolcott last week.

Oscar M. Folger of Vermontville, Mich., is visiting William Beckwith and other friends in this vicinity.

Mrs. C.M. Clappof North Rose is visiting friends on West Street.

D.W. Gibbs and wife were recent guests of her brother, Eugene Pierce, and other friends in Huron.

Mrs. Albert VanSicklen has been entertaining Misses Belle and Rose VanSicklen of Rose.

John Mason and wife were recent guests of North Rose friends.

Mrs. Samantha Proseus was 85 years old yesterday, and her daughter, Mrs. Clark T. Bennett, entertained a company of the elderly ladies of this vicinity, to assist in celebrating the event.

Mrs. Jackson Terbush of Huron, visited her sister, Mrs. E.R. Norton last week.

The Wolcott small-pox stories in circulation in this vicinity would discount any fish story ever narrated by "Dell" "Brink", "Jake", "Waldorf","Clint" Terpening or "Ed" Kellogg.

Mr. and Mrs. George B. Curtis and Mr. and Mrs. Omar M. Curtis and children of Wolcott were Memorial Day guests of Sodus Centre relatives.


Miss Susie Sherman, visited Miss Mayme Chatfield from Saturday till Monday.

A.B. Thacker called at W.H. Thacker's Sunday.

Robert Dewitt, who has been engaged in the factory at Corning, has returned home to spend his vacation.


Dr. Earl W. Phillips of New York was with his father at the farm one day last week.

Mrs. Rebecca Crane had a beautiful monument set on her lot in the cemetery last week.

Miss Lena Chapin is in Savannah helping care for her aunt, Mrs. E.D. Stevens.

Mrs. George Vincent and daughter, Maude, called on friends in this place Thursday.

There will be a measuring social at the home of W.H. Baldwin and A.J. Goodsell Friday evening, June 10th. There will be some novel features of entertainment, especially for the young people. All are cordially invited.

Mrs. Horace James of Savannah is visiting her sister, Mrs. D.S. Chapin.

Miss Winnie Chaddock of Wolcott, has been the guest of Mrs. Jas. Wing for a few days.

Miss Grace Crisler of Wolcott, is visiting Mrs. W.H. Baldwin.

Charles Candee of Camillus, arrived in town Saturday to spend a few days with old friends.

John McCaughen and family are entertaining James McCaughen of Galveston, Texas, and his niece, Miss Donna McCaughen of Indiana.

There will be a meeting of the Ladies' Aid society of this church at the home of W.H. Baldwin and Mrs. A.J. Goodsell Thursday afternoon, June 2nd. There will be election of officers, and it is hoped all members will make an effort to be present.

Mr. and Mrs. F.B. Phillips and daughter, Mrs. Wm. Vought, of Fair Haven, spent Thursday with Mr. and Mrs. G.M. Crampton.

There were services held in the church at 10 a.m., Decoration Day. Rev. R.C. Hebblethwait gave the memorial address, and Rev. D.W. Hall of South Butler, made a very appropriate prayer. Clarence Fowler, Will Wing, Miss Eva Dratt and Miss Cora Reed composed a quartette(sic) who furnished music. Eive(sic) members of Sweeting Post were in attendance, but the South Butler band did not put in an appearance. The town appropriates a certain sum of money each year to defray the expense of Memorial Day services. There are those in this community who help to pay that tax, that feel ButlerCenter people are entitled to more consideration.

Miss Abbie Potter has been on the sick list the past week, but is some better.

Miss Ruth Washburn and Miss Mabel Vanheusen were in Syracuse Saturday.

Hugh Wing returned to his work in Johnson & King's store Saturday.


Mrs. P. Maloney and Miss Maloney are spending a few days in Rochester.

Decoration Day was observed by interesting and appropriate exercises at the M.E. church. The address was delivered by the pastor, the Rev. Williams. Wm. Flemming, Commander of the G.A.R. Post, gave an interesting account of his experience in the Civil War.

Fred Hatt spent Sunday and Memorial Day with his wife at the Hotel Wayne.

Mrs. O.F. Jones and Mrs. G.E. Patrick entertained a number of ladies at progressive flinch(?) Friday evening at the home of Mrs. Jones. A most delightful evening was spent by one and all.

Will Pasco of South Butler, was in town Sunday.

Miss Nora Galvin of Fulton, was in town Monday. Her parents are interred in the Catholic cemetery and she or some member of her family come out each year on Memorial Day and decorates their graves.

Mrs. E.T. Milliman spent a few days of this week in Oswego.

Mrs. Roy Foster was happily surprised by the Thimble Club Thursday evening. Progressive pedro was played until about 10:30 o'clock, when refreshments were served. The ladies then left for their homes pronouncing the evening a very enjoyable one.


Jerome Thomas, a former resident of Rose, now of New York City, is visiting his many friends here.

Mrs. Frank Closs will spend the month of June in New York, stopping in Syracuse on her way to attend a wedding.

J.J. Seeley is visiting friends at Earlville, going overland with horse and carriage.

Mrs. Ida Johnson Potter of Lyons, has been visiting her father.

Rev. Mr. Searls attended the General Assembly at Buffalo last week.

Peter Waldorf, aged 96 years, who recently broke his leg by falling from a straw stack, has recovered and is visiting his son, Stanton, in West Rose.

Quarterly meeting services will be held in the Free Methodist church next Saturday and Sunday. The presiding elder, the Rev. T.C, Givens of Alton, will be present and conduct the services. The following Sunday the Rev. F.I. Labranus of the Rose charge will go to West Webster to assist the pastor in conducting services.

The death of the infant son of Nelson Brewster occurred yesterday.

The funeral of Mrs. Martha Brower occurred yesterday. She was about 75 years old.

B.Y.P.U. will meet at the home of Charles Oaks, sr., next Friday evening, June 3rd, for a business meeting.


Mr. and Mrs. Arthur Eygnor of Richardson's Corners, visited the former's brother and family on this street Sunday.

Dr. and Mrs. Gipson Mack have returned from New York and are staying with the latter's parents Mr. and Mrs. Watkins Demmons.

Mrs. Burr Lum is somewhat better than she was last week.

Mr. and Mrs. Charles G. Sharp and Miss Gussie of East Port Bay street, visited Mr. and Mrs. Wm. Ely Sunday.

Mrs. Amy Waldorf and Olyve Hedges called at Mrs. James Green's one evening.

Charles Fowler was through this section one day last week.

Olyve Hedges closed her school on Dutch street with a picnic at the lake Friday. Those who were present seemed to enjoy the outing if the wind did blow a gale.

We wish to correct an error made by us last week concerning Miss Hedges visiting her aunt over Sunday, she instead visited Mrs. Ida Hill on Saturday and on Sunday they all had a very pleasant drive to Rose and return.


The North Huron skimming station takes in about 4,500 lbs. of milk now daily. It has been found necessary to divide M. Gillett's route for a time. James McWharf now draws on Mill street.

Arthur Eygnor and wife visited at Will Eygnor's Sunday.

Fay Correll has quit working at Andrew Ekert's and will move into the Hyde house.

Wm. Sandall does not seem to improve in health. Dr. Myers of Sodus was called in consultation one day last week.

Dr. Gipson B. Mack has finished his course at a New York medical school and is now visiting at J.W. Demmons'.

Clarence Russell and wife of Auburn, are visiting in town.

I.A. Wright and Frank Roscoe made a trip to Sodus last Sunday.

John Briggs, wife and son visited at Wm. Abbott's Sunday.

Benj. Adsit and grand-daughter of Wolcott, called at Levi Newberry's one day recently.

Frank Ekert has a new rubber tire carriage.

S.M. Bowers of Wolcott, called on Wm. Sandall, Sunday.

Dr. Jones is waiting for instruments in order to complete his telephone service.


Quite a little damage was done by the storm of last week in this vicinity. Albert Wells' silo was blown down, and among those who had apple trees blown over were Mr. Luffman, Albert Dobbin and John Dobbin; Charles Walker, Daniel Lewis and Guy Waldorf had window lights broken out and Ernest Mattews had timber blown down.

Fred Winchell and friend, Miss Myers, of Sodus, were guests of his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Giles Winchell, over Decoration.

Mrs. Jason Underhill went to Clyde Saturday, meeting her sister from Syracuse; they together visited their brother at Clyde, Mrs. Underhill returning home Tuesday.

Mr. Tuthill of the Eureka cheese factory is now making eleven cheese a day.

Mrs. Searls and Mrs. McKoon of Rose, were guests at C.J. Walker's Friday.

Dee Dobbin visited friends on this street Saturday night and Sunday and drives a new carriage purchased of P. Maloney of Red Creek.

Mr. and Mrs. Clayton Phillips spent Sunday with their parents Mr. and Mrs. Isaac Jones.

Manville Dobbin sold out his milk route last Friday to T.G. Henderson.


Mrs. Hiram McQueen and son, Ray, visited relatives in Rochester from Saturday until Monday.

W.E. Webner and wife of Auburn, are visiting his uncle, W.J. Lamb, and family.

Mr. and Mrs., Manley Pitts entertained Mrs. P's. brother, Mr. Douglass and wife at dinner Sunday.

Euleta McQueen is spending a few days with her cousin, Nellie Lamb.

Mrs. John Andrus spent a few days last week at Mrs. Jane Treat's.

Duane McQueen says that if the party who borrowed his bicycle from near Lytle & Terpening's store last Friday evening will return it he will be much obliged.

Mr. and Mrs. L.W. Cline of Lummisville, Mr. and Mrs. W.Z. McQueen of Rose, and H.J. McQueen took dinner with their parents Sunday.

Miss Mattie Chapin of Wolcott, called on her parents Mr. and Mrs. J.R. Chapin, one day last week.

Mr. G.H. Russell, and old and highly respected resident of this neighborhood was buried from his late residence Monday at 11 o'clock. Mr. Russell was a kind and obliging neighbor and will be greatly missed.


A goodly number from this place attended the funeral of Miss Bessie Barrick last Friday afternoon. She was a great favorite of the young people here and will be greatly missed by them. Our sympathy is extended to the bereaved relatives. Our sympathy is also extended to the bereaved parents and other relatives of little Roscoe Phillips, son of Mr. and Mrs. A.B. Phillips, who was buried last Friday after a long and severe illness.

Mrs. Sam Snow is very low at present writing.

Miss Addie Tryon is spending a few days with friends in this place.

Ed. Phelps is repairing the interior of his house, by making a kitchen and otherwise improving it.

Albert Thorn is visiting his sister, Mrs. Ed. Phelps, and other friends in this place.

Mrs. Raynor attended the birthday party of her son-in-law, Roy LeFevre, last Friday; also the birthday party of her grandson, Royce Wadsworth, Saturday of the last week.


Nearly everyone in this neighborhood attended the funeral of Bessie Barrick Friday afternoon, owing to the fact that deceased was a favorite throughout this section and was loved and admired by all, and in her death we feel that a shining light has gone out of our midst, leaving a gloom which has spread far and wide. The stricken family have the sincere sympathy of this community in their deep affliction, and we assure them that we all mourn with them in the loss of her whom we had held in such high esteem from childhood up.

Mr. and Mr.(sic) George Johnson and son, Dr. D.F. Johnson, were callers at Alva Morehouse's Monday evening.

Claude Quick and wife of Wolcott, visited his mother, Mrs. Ammon Rice, Saturday and Sunday.

The Misses Blanche Wadsworth and Minnie Blauvelt attended a birthday party at Rufus Wadsworth's Saturday afternoon, given in honor of their little son Royce's 9th birth-day.

Mrs. Raymer and niece, Mrs. Henry, of Huron, called to see the former's brother, Seymour Blauvelt, one day last week.

Frank Porter is the owner of a fine road horse.

A fine herd of registered Jersey stock owned by Snyder & Allerton, produce dealers of Newark, were driven through here from their east farm at Sterling Valley, Saturday. The men took dinner and fed the stock at A.M. Morehouse's.

Frank Richardson is improving the looks of his house by painting the porch.

Mrs. Fay Blauvelt and Mrs. Sylvia Wadsworth called on Mrs. Geo. Waterman on day this week.

Mr. and Mrs. Arthur Eygnor spent Thursday with his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Abram Eygnor, at North Wolcott.

William Auyer has put up a new mail box.

Alva Sharp of Red Creek, was a caller on this street Sunday.

Fred King, wife and little daughter Florence visited her parents, Mr. and Mrs. George Johnson, Sunday.

Roy Griggs and Mae Whitbeck called on Arthur Eygnor and wife Saturday.

Susie Sherman visited Mayme Chatfield Saturday night and Sunday.

Seymour Blauvelt, who has been sick for some time, died at his home on this street, Tuesday morning at2;30 o'clock. The many friends in this vicinity extend to the relatives their sincere sympathy in their affliction.

Eron Lovejoy has the best piece of wheat of any we have seen. Although he has the housework to attend to himself during the absence of his wife, Mr. Lovejoy manages to keep his farm work along and generally ahead of others.



The town of Butler believes in standing by law and order. Monday morning A. Prevost, who held a summons against a Mrs. Snyder, whom is was reported was keeping a disorderly house near West Butler, arrested the woman and placed her in the lock-up in Wolcott; she was accompanied by another woman who voluntarily occupied the quarters with her until yesterday afternoon when she was taken before Justice Frank Mathews of Butler for trial. The suit was adjourned with the privilege of defendant settling the costs and leaving the place before the date set for the action. At first the suit promised to be a very interesting one, but was brought to a more sudden ending than was at first anticipated.


James LeFavor, Sr., is recovering.

Peter Terpening and son are building a large barn for Mr. Miller in Butler.

Ed. Andrews of Cato, visited Benson Spickerman Friday.

William Roe of Wolcott, was in town Saturday on legal business.

Clarence VanDeusen is shingling his house.

Mrs. Don G. Husted is visiting her parents in Batavia.

Mrs. Frank Howell and family spent last week with Mrs. Adolphus Bacon of Fair Haven.

Miss Nellie Fitch is home on a short vacation.

Mrs. Charles Barnum is in poor health.

Miss Sarah Smith is home from Savannah.

Portor LaFavor and family of Auburn, visited Ed. Winegard's Sunday.

Arrested for Wife Beating

G.A. Durgey, who opened up a blacksmith business in the Tyrrell shop across the creek recently, was arrested last night for choking and otherwise abusing his wife. The warrant was sworn out by neighbors.

The Durgeys live in the Noah Wood house on Williams street and considerable complaint has been made heretofore, but last night the trouble reached that point where the patience of neighbors was exhausted and the complaint was made, but before Officer Prevost could reach the place, Durgey had left for the railroad where he tntended(sic) boarding the train. The constable in company with John Conway got a rig and hurried to the depot arriving just as the train was about to leave.

The conductor was requested to hold the train a moment and the men boarded the train. Conway grappled with Durgey and a fierce struggle ensued, in which the prisoner displayed strength and agility that was surprising. He was at last overpowered and brought to the lock-up where he was kept over night. The examination will be held this morning before Justice Fanning.

It is said that Mr. Durgey's business outlook was very promising, and he would have done well in his shop, but the quarrelsome disposition in his family is more than this peaceable neighborhood could endure.

Officer Prevost visited the prisoner this morning and found him in a very penitent mood.

Strong talk of violence to him was exhibited about town last night, the excitement was so high.


Arthur Ferguson of Canada, is visiting relatives in town.

The remains of Arthur Miner, was drowned at Traverse City, Mich. last week arrived here Wednesday, accompanied by his brother, Irving who resides in the same city. The funeral was held from the family home in West Rose Thursday afternoon, the Rev. Robert C. Hebblethwaite officiating. Burial was made in the Rose cemetery.

Mr. and Mrs. Ira Caster of Red Creek, were in town last week, called here to attend the funeral of Mrs. Caster's brother, Arthur Miner.

Mrs. G.A. Collier, who recently underwent an operation for the removal of a tumor at the Myers hospital, Sodus, is doing well.


The D.D. club gave Mr. and Mrs. Harry Quereau a tin shower in their new home last Wednesday evening.

Mr. and Mrs. John Hill and Mr. and Mrs. Frank Hill spent part of last week at their cottage on LeRoy Island.

While Mrs. Myron Lamb was calling on Mrs. Benjamin Aldrich one day recently the watch dog met her at the gate and when she tried to enter he sprang at her, taking a piece out of her sleeve and leaving the prints of his teeth on her arm. He was preparing to spring again when one of the family came to the rescue.

The Rev. J.J. Edwards has returned from Pultneyville, where he went to attend the funeral of Miss Bertha Stoddard.

Mrs. A. Stacy and daughter of Alton, were the guests of Mrs. William Smart one day last week.

Mrs. Gipson Mack is expected home from New York this week. Her husband is taking a course in a medical college there.

Mr. and Mrs. Kelly and Mrs. Luce of Newark opened their cottages at Lake Bluff.

Oliver Dunbar has moved from the Chamberlain farm onto his own farm near Alton.

R.H. Cole's a new naphtha(?) launch has arrived at Sodus Bay.

Mr. Craig of Nunda, is in town. He has purchased all the Welch Brothers' beans, so the bean machines will suspend operations.

John Lovejoy has gone to Port Byron to spend the summer.


Pursuant to an order of S.N. Sawyer, Surrogate of Wayne county, notice is hereby given to all persons having claims against Fannie Richardson, late of the town of Wolcott, in the county of Wayne, deceased, that they are required to present the same, with the vouchers thereof, to Horace D. Richardson, the Administrator of the said deceased, at the residence of said Horace Richardson, in the town of Wolcott, N.Y., on or before the 31st day of May, A.D., 1904-Dated Nov. 19th, 1903.

E.H. KELLOGG,            Administrator
Attorney for Administrator
Wolcott, N.Y.

CITATION-The People of the State of New York By the Grace of God Free and Independent:

To Lillian Mandess Stewart, Zada Stewart, send greeting:

Whereas, Mary E. Atkinson of the town of Rose, has lately applied to our Surrogate of the county of Wayne for the Proof of the Will of Sally Catherine Stewart late of Rose, in said county, deceased, which relates to both real and personal estate.

Therefore, you and each of you are cited and required to appear at the office of the said Surrogate, in the village of Lyons, in said county on the 30th day of June, 1904, at ten o'clock in the forenoon of said day, to attend the probate of said Will.

And such of you as are hereby cited as are under the age of twenty-one years, are required to appear by your guardian if you have one, or if you have none, to appear and apply for one to be appointed, and in the event of your neglect or failure to do so the said Surrogate will at the time and place above named appoint a competent and responsible person to appear as special guardian for youherein.

In testimony whereof, we have caused the seal of office of our said Surrogate to be hereunto affixed.
Witness, Hon. S.N. Sawyer,
Surrogate of the county of
Wayne, at the Surrogate's
office in said county, the 15th
day of April in the year of
our Lord one thousand nine
hundred and four.
S.N. SAWYER, Surrogate.

The contributor and site coordinators have no information about individuals or events listed. We thank you in advance for directing ALL questions to the Office of the County Historian, or finding this issue on microfilm.

Back to Town of Wolcott Section

Created: 9/17/05
Copyright © 2005 Diana Niedermeier
Wayne County NYGenWeb
A County Site of the USGenWeb Project
All Rights Reserved.