The little booklet "Souvenir of Marion, New York", printed by the Du Bois Press of Newark, N.Y., was printed for the Holiday Bazaar of the Marion Christian Church, which took place Dec. 14-16, 1905. Included in the booklet was a brief historical overview of events better covered in Vera Curtis's 1937 book "History of the Town of Marion", followed by Reverand Hammond's description of each of the local churches. Also included in the booklet were many photos of the village, its businesses and streets, business ads, and listings of persons involved with the holiday bazaar. Photos will be posted as time permits.
The first settlers of Marion, known prior to 1825 as part of the town of Sodus and Williamson, were from the states of Rhode Island, Massachusetts and New Jersey. They belonged to that sturdy stock of New Englanders, who for longevity and thrift have been so famous. The names of persons associated in settling this part of the town from 1795 to 1812 are, many of them, represented by their descendants in our citizens of today. As tillers of the soil they were industrious, laying the foundations for a productive future. The breadth of their intelligence is seen in their support of public schools and also a school for higher education. Four churches being organized in the first thirty-five years denote their piety. The many evidences of their patriotism and benevolence show their religion to be healthful, producing good citizenship. Names in the early history of Marion that have figured more or less in its entire history to the present are: Sherman, Caldwell, Sweezey, Mason, Rich, Crane, Eddy, Sanford, Durfee and Riley. These names all find a place in the settlement of the town of Marion from 1795 to 1812.
The first home settled on a portion of the ground now occupied by our village was by Henry Lovell, 1795. The first birth and death was in Mr. Lovell's family. The first wedding that of Mr. David Sherman and Elizabeth Howell, 1795. The first physician located in the town of Marion was Dr. Seth Tucker. The first religious service to be conducted was by a M.E. clergyman, Rev. John Case. The first pastor was Rev. Seba Norton who organized a Baptist church in 1804. It would be a pleasant task did space permit, to refer to the many successful farmers to whom the rich soil of Marion township has responded to faithful toil, helping them to homes of comfort and wealth. The homes and their surroundings, the reader may see for himself and remember that out from these homes have gone thousands to places of trust and honor. It must suffice for this article that I point you to the one and remind you of the other. It is interesting to trace these fathers in their social, political and religious relations. While the first was not clannish but general and hospitable, the last two were definite and the lines distinctly drawn. To many readers, now living, will come familiar scenes of their childhood, when neighbors called to spend a winter evening, the homely but genuine hospitality that expressed itself in stories of wit and pathos, friendly discussion upon matters of mutual interest that occasionally waxed into a heated debate. The exchanging of views by the housewives, the playing of hide and seek by the children, all of these betoken social relations familiar, honest and genuine upon which any community can rest in perfect safety.
In politics, relations were not always so amicable; but these feelings were mostly confined to times of election and soon overlooked. They usually wrought a high order of body politic; quite a contrast to the sometimes corrupt body politic of today.
In religion their convictions were decided but not sufficient regard for the honesty of their, otherwise honest, neighbor's convictions. Of this however there is no need I should speak.
As for the industries of our town they cannot be overlooked. Inasmuch as being shut in, for the want of railroad communication, they had to be of the kind that supplied our local necessities: Lumber Mills, Flour Mills, Mint Distillery, Iron Foundry and being a great apple center, factories for making our own barrels, ladders, etc., have been in existence for years. Though for a time all our exports had to be taken to Pultneyville, Palmyra or Williamson, the production had been so far above the consumption, that home co-operative companies have been formed for manufacture, and finding the best market possible for our produce. To this end in 1892 a Canning Co. was organized that annually puts out one million cans of tomatoes, rhubarb, berries, peas, beans, corn and apples. A Creamery Co. was organized in 1900 that puts out annually over a quarter of a million pounds of butter. A Ware House that sends to Europe dried fruits and beans to the amount of half a million dollars each year. Nearly every farmer sees the necessity of having a dry house of his own, as the growth of apples is so vast they could not otherwise be accommodated.
Our village, made up largely with retired farmers, makes it difficult to always arouse as much interest in public enterprise as it would be in a town where all have a living to make. But in spite of this drawback we have many public spirited men and with the assistance of our thrifty farmers there are few inland towns equal to the business activity of Marion.
A description of the activities of the town of Marion would be incomplete without reference to a colony of people from Holland that commenced to buy farms in this township in 1850, their number reaching at this time upwards of three hundred homes. These people can, with truth, be said to be a thrifty and exceptionally industrious addition to our body politic. The older enter heartily into life of the country of their adoption, while the younger learn soon to breathe the spirit of our American institutions and enter heartily into all our advance movements. And hence with all our rich and fruitful farms, our paying industries, our exceptionally fine stores, our fraternities, our schools and churches - five in number - and now with a railroad that this day, Nov. 16th, 1905, has entered our village with its rails and ties, we can show as prosperous a township as is to be found in all our state.
A Masonic Club - J.B. Malcolm, President; Dr. John VanDoorn, Secretary; R.B. McOmber, Treasurer
Marion Grange with one hundred eighty members - Master, A.B. Gurnee; Secretary, Mrs. A.B. Gurnee; Lecturer, Mrs. George Lookup; Chaplain, Stephen Reeves
J.B. Burrud Post - Commander, Thos. Geer (note: this would be the local G.A.R. post)
Modern Woodmen of America
The marked interest in the Marion Union High School is but the continued expression of the people of Marion along educational lilnes for over half a century.
This interest is in the largest measure due to the Marion Collegiate Institute - a name which ever awakens the pleasantest memories of past days. The institute was founded in October, 1855, and stood during all the years for scholarship of the highest order.
It is the aim of the trustees of the present school to continue this high standard of learning and actuated by a progressive spirit, to offer that same character of instruction which was given in the past and which has made this community a center of thought and culture.
Marion Baptist Church
The Baptist Church of Marion had its beginnings on the 29th of February, 1804. A little band of members withdrew from the Palmyra church in order to form a new organization. During the earlier part of its history several notable awakenings occurred, and in the course of one pastorate of five years, more than two hundred were added to the church, until in 1845, its membership numbered 320. In 1837 there is record of the existence of a Sunday School, and this school has continued to be one of the healthiest departments of the church.
During its history the church has rejoiced in sending forth a number of its members into the work of the ministry.
The beautiful house in which the Church now meets was erected during the pastorate of Rev. W.B. McNinch.
The First Methodist Church of Marion, N.Y., was organized about 1855. For ten years thereafter it was a circuit appointment in connection with the East Palmyra church. When it became strong enough to support a resident preacher, Rev. James Lemon was sent as the first regular pastor.
During the half century of its existence it has had a remarkable history. It has been the scene of great revivals and the saving station to many a soul. A number of the pastors are still living who served it in early years. Some died during the term of their pastorate.
In September, 1905, the church held a semi-centennial celebration. Some of the former pastors were present among whom was the Rev. Lemon who had served it forty years before.
After holding meetings for some time, on Nov. 1, 1808, Luke Phelps, Timothy Smith, Ruth Smith, David Sweezy, Zadock Huggins, Thankful Huggins, Samuel Waters and Sarah Waters were organized as the "First Congregational Church of Christ in Williamson," under the direction of Oliver Ayre and James Hotchkins.
The certificate of incorporation as the "First Congregational Church and Society in the Town of Marion," was filed Jan. 1, 1830. Came under the care of Lyons Presbytery in 1867. Changed to a Presbyterian church in 1891. Certificate of incorporation as "The First Presbyterian Church of Marion," in 1904.
Although the denomination known as the Reformed church in America is the oldest Protestant church on the American continent, the church of that denomination in Marion must be content to be the youngest of the local churches. The church takes its name, "Reformed," from the reformation in the 16th century of which it is a direct result. In Holland this reformation took strong hold on the people and began its formal existence in 1566. Was transplanted to American soil in 1628. Rev. Jonas Michaelius effecting the first formal Protestant church organization. This identical organization exists today and is known as the "Collegiate Reformed Church of New York City."
The first church building of Wayne county (now known as Clark's Hall) was erected about 1860. In 1870 the society was reorganized with 56 charter members, and taken under the care of the Classis of Geneva. J.W. Warnshuis was the first pastor, who took charge in May, 1871. The present church was erected in 1872. It has thus far been served by seven pastors, the present incumbent taking charge Janaury, 1900.
The Belgic Confession, written by Guido De Bres (1561) and the Heidelberg catechism are the principal doctrinal standards, based on the Holy Scriptures alone. These standards are subscribed to by all the ministers of the church, but for membership in the church there is no definite standard required. For this an intelligent confession of faith in Jesus Christ as personal Savior, and a life conformable to this is the only and necessary requirement. The above church is making extensive repairs now on their building.
The Christian church of Marion was organized in 1820 by Rev. D.E. Millard and Joseph Badger. The first pastor was Oliver True. There have been 16 pastors in 85 years. The longest pastorate was 18 years. The second 13 years. The largest number received into the church in one year was 70 in 1850. The principles by which the church is known are: Christian our name; the Bibile our Rule of Faith; Christ our Head; Christian character our test; private judment the right of all; union with all who love our Lord.
Site visitors who've ever taken part in organizing or working at a church or school bazaar or rummage sale will appreciate the following. Sure would have enjoyed the meal on the 16th, all dinners at 20 cents!
Four stores will have for sale every article needful for holiday presents. Be sure and visit these stores
before purchasing your Xmas presents.
Supper will be served each night from 5 to 8 o'clock by Mrs. Snitzel and her band of workers.
Workers: Mrs. Snitzel, Mrs. Jennie Davis, Mrs. Delmar Hope, Mrs. William Gilbert, Mrs. Jacob Morrison, Mrs. Abram Johnson
Thursday - Oysters, Milk Stew, Wafers, Celery, Coffee, Pumpkin Pie, Fried Cakes
Friday - Meat and Potato Pie, Cabbage Salad, Jelly, Pickles, Biscuit and Butter, Coffee and Cake
Saturday - Chicken Pie, mashed potatoes, Salad, Jelly, Pickles, Old Fashioned Rice Pudding, Coffee, Biscuit
The Marion store will sell articles contributed by merchants and friends of Marion in the Christian church at Marion, December 14, 15 and 16, 1905.
The workers are: Mrs. E.D. Hammond, Minnie Dusenbury, Mrs. C.L. Tassell, Mrs. R.B. McOmber, Mrs. Dickinson and Mrs. George Snyder.
Articles have been contributed by the following merchants: Goossen & Steyaart; H. Warner; George Warner; C. Cattieu; J. Cambier; W.M. Winslow; M.J. Mersen; Sherwood Meat Market; Elsie Pope, Millinery; Mrs. Brewster, Millinery; Mrs. Snitzel, Bakery; E.H. Taylor, Meat Market; J.B. Malcolm and others.
Workers: Mrs. Frank J. Rich, Mrs. George Morrison, Mrs. J.B. Malcolm, Mrs. Edward Snyder, Mrs. Mark B. Allen, Mrs. John Davis
The goods to be sold in the Newark store at the Christian church, Marion, N.Y., December 14, 15, and 16, are contributed by the following:
John E. Pulver, S.B. VanDuser, P.T. Hartman, Dry Goods; W.B. Roche, Furniture; Wyant & Lynch, Variety Store; Newark State Bank; Fred C. White, Grocer; C.S. Hanks, Druggist; Mrs. E.C. Stafford, Miss L.B. Waldron, Millinery; M.B. Allen; L.G. Mattison, Hardware; Proseus & Fisk, Hardware; M.H. Wilber, Shoes; S.B. Hall, Druggist; E.B. Elliott & Sons, Clothing; J. Simon, Clothing; Louis Farnsworth, Grocer; Harvey Farnsworth, Grocer; Charles L. VanInwagen, Nurseryman; Mrs. A.E. Duncan, Millinery, Byron Allen; Henry Allen, $2.00.
Workers: Mrs. E.W. Croucher, Mrs. Geo. Lewis, Mrs. Louis Green
The goods in this store were solicited from stores and friends in Palmyra and will be sold in the Christian church December 14, 15, and 16, 1905, at the Palmyra store.
The following firms of Palmyra contributed to the supply of goods found in this store:
The Farnham Dry Goods Company; Bird & Ross, Hardware; LeBrecht & Jones, Gents' Furnishing Goods; Fassett, Jeweler; Johnson & Rogers, Boots and Shoes; Roy Barrett, Hardware; C. Crandall, Furniture; Ryan & Bonte, Clothiers and Tailors; Smith & Zeigler, Jewelers; A.G. Tuttle, Hardware.
Workers: Mrs. E.H. Taylor, Mrs. J. Clark, Mrs. A. Drury, Miss Fannie Cousens, Mrs. E.P. White, Elsie Pope, Mrs. W. Lookup
The goods in this store were solicited from Rochester firms and friends by the above workers and will be sold in the Christian church December 14, 15 and16, at the Rochester Store.
The following firms of Rochester contributed to the supply of goods found in the above store:
McCurdy & Norwell; Burke, FitzSimmons, ome & Co.; H.B. Graves, Furniture, 78 State Street; Weis & Fisher, Furnishers of the Home, 50-54 State Street; W.M. Powells, Furniture, 127 West Main Street; George C. Whipple & Co., Main Street West; Sibley, Lindsay & Curr; Burritt's Popular Jewelry, 104 State Street; E.S. Ettenheimer & Co., Jewelers, 2 State Street; Joseph Klen, 82 Main Street West; The Sunderlin Co., 78-80 Main Street East; Gloversville Glove Store, 107 West Main Street; Fraley & Carey, Cutler Building, 353-373 Main Street East; Woodworth's Ten Cent Store; Gould, Lee & Luce, 146 Main Street; E.W. Edwards & Co.; Union Clothing Co.; H.E. Wilson, Florist, 379 Main Street East.
As we do our census research we read one-word descriptions of what our ancestors did for a living. The usual occupations are
"farmer" or "laborer". Later censuses are occasionally more specific, and for that reason I'm listing local
businesses who took out ads in the booklet, which I hope will help some of you identify where your ancestors worked. Listed in order
of appearance are:
Marion Co-Operative Creamery Co. - organized in 1900
Officers: President, Riley Sanford; Secretary and Mgr., C. N. Stearns; Treasurer, H.M. Winslow
J.B. Malcolm - Dealer in Evaporated Fruits and Beans - started in 1898
Goossen & Steyaart - The General or Department Store of Marion, N.Y. - started in 1879
Wayne County Canning Company - incorporated in 1893
Officers: C.W. Jagger, President; A.L. Jagger, Vice-President; C.H. Scutt, Secretary and Mgr.; E.P. White, Treasurer
The Cattieu Grocery - C. Cattieu - took over the premises of Harvey Sherman in 1905
The Excelsior Meat Market - E.H. Taylor, Proprietor
A.A. Clark & Son - "The Reliable Coal Dealers"
M.J. Mersen - dealer in cast iron stoves, which were actually room heaters
The Farnham Dry Goods Company - carpets, coats, and furs - Palmyra, N.Y.
G.A. Westfall, H.E. Williamson, A.F. Lawrence
Arcadia National Bank - Newark, N.Y.
Officers - Peter R. Sleight, President; William H. Hyde, Vice-President; L.M. Wilder, Cashier
Directors - Charles L. Crothers, William H. Hyde, Charles E. Leggett, George C. Perkins, Peter R. Sleight
J. Stuerwald & Son - Newark, N.Y. - "A City Store in a Country Town" - photos of late Victorian furniture
Cook & Conklin - Newark, N.Y. - carriages, harness and horse furnishings, agricultural implements, blankets, robes, paints, oils and varnishes, farmers' and mechanics' tools, hardware, etc. Kelsey furnaces, phosphate for every kind of crop, complete line of mittens and gloves
C.E. Babcock Music Company - Mr. C.E. Babcock - Newark, N.Y. - piano dealers
O.C. Robinson - Newark, N.Y. - jewelry and piano store
S.N. Keener Lumber - rough and dressed lumber, sash, doors and blinds, inside house finishing, turning, stair building
Benjamin Fanning - Newark, N.Y. - engineer and contractor for plumbing, lighting, heating
Thomas J. Northway - Rochester, N.Y. - automobiles - Rambler, Ford, Premier, White - $500-$3,000 NEW
The Central Bank of Rochester
Benj. E. Chase, President; George Wilder, Vice-President; John H. Gregory, Cashier; H.H. Clapp, Assistant Cashier
McFarlin Clothing Co. - Rochester, N.Y. - suits and overcoats - $10, $12, $15
Howe & Rogers Co. - Rochester, N.Y. - carpets, rugs, linoleums, mattings, portieres, lace curtains, window shades, drapery materials, etc.
Rochester Trust & Safe Deposit Company - Rochester, N.Y.
East Palmyra Coal Yard - East Palmyra, N.Y. - T. Robinson & Son
Rochester Business Institute - Rochester, N.Y.
Return to Town of Marion Section
Return to Wayne County NY Historical Articles Section
Copyright © 2000 - 2011 M. Magill
Wayne County NYGenWeb
All Rights Reserved.