The Burial Grounds of Macedon
Wayne County, NY
By Lizzie J. Blaker
Oct. 8, 1894
THE BURIAL GROUNDS OF MACEDON
The oldest burying ground of the town is situated on lot No. 28, on land originally purchased by
Webb Harwood, in 1789. It is on the west side of the hill north of the lower lock of the canal and one
mile east of Macedon village. It contained many graves of pioneers, but few traces of them remain. It
is not known when the ground was first used, but it was as early as 1800, perhaps earlier. It was used a
number of years. Nathaniel Braley, grandfather of Mrs. Wm. C. Packard was buried there in June, 1802, and
his daughter, Judith Braley Babbitt, in 1814. It is not known when the yard was abandoned.
The following account of the Eddy burial ground was written by Nora E. Hoag. "This ground was situated on
the second north and south road east of Macedon Center, on the west side of the road and about one-quarter
of a mile south of the north line of the town. It was just south of the house long owned by James Jones. It
was laid out by Isaac Eddy in 1811 as a burial ground for his family. The first interment was a child who died
in 1811. The next was another child in 1817. Laban Eddy was buried in 1833 and Isaac Eddy in 1834. Joanna Eves,
daughter of Isaac Eddy, was buried there with her infant child in 1843 and were the last who were interred in
that ground. There were probably nine or ten other graves. Mary, first wife of James Jones; a Revolutionary soldier
named Powers and his wife, who were earnest workers in the Methodist Church of Walworth, but were without immediate
friends; Joshua Delong and wife, parents of Mrs. John Gildersleeve, Sr., and a younger Joshua Delong were buried
there, besides others whose names cannot be recalled. In 1852, largely through the efforts of Nathan Eddy, the
Walworth Cemetery Association was formed and the graves of the Eddy family and of Mrs. Jones were removed to the
Walworth Cemetery. James Jones bought a part of the farm in 1854 and made many efforts to have the other graves
removed, but at length he planted an orchard there and the graves lie unmarked beneath the grass."
In the eastern part of the town near school house No. 6 is another old burial ground. It is on the west side of the
road and is on land once owned by Lemuel Spear. The present Baptist Church of Macedon once stood near it. The society
was organized in 1800 as the Baptist Church of Palmyra. The early records of the ground are lost, but in 1813 a
committee was appointed to build a fence around the yard. Several stones remain and it has never been given up to
other use, but the whole yard is in a neglected condition.
The land in the Friends' burying ground at Macedon Center was given by Asa Aldrich and Asa Aldrich, Jr., to the Society
of Friends, through Johnathan Ramsdell, Joseph Pratt and Mead Atwater, as trustees, and to their successors on Sept. 25,
1817. The earliest graves were made in tiers, instead of family lots and extended north and south across the yard. At
first no stones were allowed; the first one was at the grave of Hannah Doty, mother of Mrs. John Johnston. It was inscribed,
"Hannah Doty, died 1842, ae 90." The east part of the ground was too wet for use. The southwest corner, behind the old
meeting house was not used until after the present house was built. In the north part of the ground is a large tulip tree.
Chloe Lapham Packard planted an evergreen tree at the foot of Allen Purdy's grave, near the center of the yard.
The Ward ground contains one-fourth acre of land, situated on the farm of Monroe Carman, on lot 56 and is a little west of
Macedon Center. It was first used as a family burying ground. The first burial was that of Artemus Ward, Sr., in Feb., 1825.
Marietta Wood Osband was buried in March, 1834, and Artemas Ward, Jr., in 1837. The Ward ground at length was used as a public
ground because stones were not then allowed in the Friends' yard and there was no other burial place near the Center. When the
yard ceased to be used for burials it reverted to the heirs of Artemas Ward. The remains of the members of the Ward family buried
here were removed to the cemetery north of the Center later, but the graves of the Tewsleys and perhaps that of John Coburn,
a shoemaker, remain.
"Wayne Port Union Burying Ground," as it is named in the deed, is located on lot 37, township of Macedon. Caleb Lammon and wife, who once
owned and lived on this property, deeded one-half acre to the trustees of said ground, who were Legrand Couch, William Barrager and Bennet Joy,
for the sum of $12.50, to be handed to their successors. The deed states that the deceased friends of Caleb and Catherine Lammon shall be buried
in the center of the ground, north and south. It also states that this half acre of land is free for all who see fit to bury therein and is to be
used for no other purpose. The deed has not been recorded. It was signed and sealed in the presence of Samuel Havens and James B. Foot and is dated
May 16, 1833. There is preserved a subscription to raise money to fence and improve the ground. These names and amounts were signed as follows: Legrand
Couch, George Wilbur, John L. Packard, Walter Johnson, Wm. Barrager, Bennett Joy, Samuel Thurston, $1.00 each; Edwin Mott paid in nails, $1.00; E.M.
Euers, Samuel Havens, James B. Foot, D.H. Richardson, 50 cents each. There is in the hands of R.A. McLeod, a chart of the ground with many of the graves marked.
Macedon Village Cemetery is located on lot 30. The Cemetery Association was organized Sept. 22, 1848. Elmer Howig, chairman, and Isaac Dean, secretary. It is
supposed that previous to this John Lapham had offered three acres of land, near where the village school house now stands, for burial purposes. This caused the
formation of the association. A few bodies, not more than seven, were buried, but the ground was very wet. At a meeting, held Feb. 27, 1851, it was decided to change
to another ground. No deed had been given and John Lapham offered to release that and give three acres on Hemlock Hill, south of Mud Creek, on condition that the
association would improve and fence the land and give him a burial lot. The offer was accepted. The road to the hill was on the north and west sides and running
nearly parallel with Mud Creek. This road was changed some years later. Russell Allyn gave a roadway on the south side of the ground on condition that they improved
and fence the same. The bodies except two were removed from the first ground to the hill, Lyman Bickford being one who helped. In 1890 one acre was purchased of
Mrs. Dryer for $300.00.
There was no burial ground at Macedon Center, except the Friends and the Ward grounds, until 1852. The cemetery north of Macedon Center had its beginning about
that time. Mrs. Granville Wolsey did not wish to be buried in the Ward ground and Mr. Wolsey gave one-half acre from his farm for a burial ground. It is situated one-half
mile north of the Center on lot 56. Lots were sold and the proceeds used to fence the yard. Mrs. Wolsey died in 1852 and was the first one buried in the new ground.
An association was formed Jan. 31, 1863. Luther Northway, pastor of the Methodist Church, was chairman and Hugh B. Jolley, secretary. The meeting was at Academy Hall.
It was decided to buy land for a cemetery; 198 rods were purchased of Granville Wolsey for $92.50, and was to include the burying ground already given. It was surveyed
by Elder M.F. Main and the deed was given Feb. 10, 1863. Later one acre was bought of James Fitzpatrick. It is a finely kept burial place, and much of its beauty is due
to the work of Daniel Lincoln, who was sexton many years.
The Catholic Cemetery of Macedon consists of two acres of land on the north part of lot 30. It was bought of Johnathan Owens for $500.00 in 1855 and deeded to Bishop Timon
of Buffalo and to his successors in office. There were then but two dioceses in the state, that of Buffalo and of Albany. In 1868 two more were created, Syracuse and Rochester.
The bishops hold all the Catholic Church and cemetery property and the Bishop of Rochester now has the deed of the ground and Father M. A. F. Holmes has the management of it.
Oct. 8, 1894.
LIZZIE J. BLAKER
Source: Pioneers of Macedon, and other papers of the Macedon Center Historical Society, compiled by Mary Louise Eldredge. Fairport, N.Y.: The Mail Printing House. 1912.
CEMETERIES OF MACEDON
(In Order of Discussion in the Article)
Old Quaker Cemetery: The Friends' Cemetery in Macedon Center
Union Burying Ground "Wayne Port Union Burying Ground" at Wayneport
Macedon Village Cemetery
MACEDON CENTER CEMETERY
Part 1 A-C Part 2 D-F Part 3 G-H
Part 4 I-M Part 5 N-R Part 6 S-Z
St. Patrick's Catholic Cemetery
IMPORTANT: Keep in mind that this article was written 110 years ago. The cemetery records on this site were contributed by the Office of the
County Historian. If there are any lists of other or earlier cemeteries mentioned in this article, we would have received
them. 110 years ago there was little remaining evidence of the old burial places of the earliest settlers. The site
coordinators and site volunteers have no information about the cemeteries discussed above, or persons listed in the cemetery lists we have. We thank you
in advance for not emailing us, but directing ALL requests for information to the Office of the County Historian.
Back to Town of Macedon Section
Back to Cemeteries Page
Copyright © 2004 - 2011 M. Magill
Wayne County NYGenWeb
A County Site of the USGenWeb Project
All Rights Reserved.