1835 - 1960
One Hundred Twenty-Fifth Anniversary
First Evangelical United Brethren Church
Spencer and Holley Streets
|M. F. Mees||A. Klein|
|J. Kehr||L. Jacoby|
|J. Reigel||P. Alles|
|P. Henneberger||T. Schneider|
|C. Hummel||W. Oetzel|
|M. Lehn||G. Ott|
|D. Fisher||S. Weber|
|M. Sindlinger||T. Hauch|
|C. Holl||A. Stiebe|
|F. Kroeker||A. Miller|
|W. Muenz||J. Schaaf|
|S. B. Kraft||1902-1906|
|W. H. Stauffer||1906-1911|
|F. W. Schwenk||1911-1916|
|E. E. Rife||1916-1922|
|A. A. Holzwarth||1922-1926|
|W. A. Kofahl||1933-1934|
|A. G. Ehman||1936-1946|
|John M. Beck||1947-1954|
|Herbert O. Erbele||1954-1956|
|Charles L. Hertzog 1956-|
Althen, Mrs. William
Baker, Mrs. Edna
Berns, Mrs. Bena
Bohner, Mrs. Fred
Brown, Mrs. Reinhold
Buckholz, Mrs. Lester
Buisch, Mrs. Arthur
Buisch, Mrs. Emma
Buisch, Fred W.
Buisch, Mrs. Fred W.
Buisch, Mrs. Paul
Buisch, Wilfred S.
Buisch, Mrs. Wilfred S.
Chalupa, Mrs. Fred
Cleverley, Mrs. James
Cruse, Mrs. Helen
Dengler, Mrs. Katherine
Dengler, Mrs. Newton
Ehman, Albert C.
Ehman, Mrs. Albert C.
Ehman, Rev. Albert G.
Ehman, Mrs. Albert G.
Ehman, Miss Elvera
Ehman, Miss Laura Mae
Facer, Mrs. Arthur
Facer, Mrs. Glenn
Gabrielse, Mrs. George
Goebel, Miss Sophie
Hecox, Mrs. Elmer
Hertzog, Rev. Charles L.
Hertzog, Mrs. Charles L.
Hildreth, Mrs. Frank
Hughson, Mrs. Emma
Maichele, Mrs. Max
Oakleaf, Mrs. Robert
Perduyn, Miss Bernice
Rice, Mrs. Carleton C.
Rice, Earle B.
Rice, Mrs. Earle B.
Savage, Mrs. Kenneth
Savage, Mrs. Milton
Schuldt, Mrs. Lula
Shuler, Mrs. Daniel
Shuler, Miss Emma
Shuler, Karen Ann
Snow, W. Merton
Snow, Mrs. W. Merton
Steitler, Mrs. Roy
Taney, Mrs. Joseph
Tyler, Mrs. Robert
Tyler, Mrs. Thomas
Wagner, Mrs. Henry
Wagner, Mrs. Wilson
Walbourn, Mrs. Alma S.
Walter, Miss Helen
Wasser, Mrs. Aaron
Wasser, Mrs. Hortense
Wasser, Miss Vivian
Westphal, Mrs. Edna
Transcriber's Note: the lists above and below weren't explained, but the "Anniversary Roll" is probably the membership list as of 1960, and the list below fairly recently deceased members as of same date.
Bramer, Charles F.
Bramer, Mrs. Charles F.
Bramer, Mrs. Frederick
Buisch, Mrs. William
Capwell, Mrs. Bernice
Chalupa, Frederick Jr.
Croll, Miss Carrie
Dale, Mrs. Julia
Dengler, Mrs. Frank
Dengler, John M.
Knox, Mrs. Marian Schuldt
Lagenor, Leland C.
Martin, Mrs. Adam
Martin, Miss Martha
Martin, Mrs. Philip
Miller, Miss Maud
Rice, Carleton C.
Shuler, Miss Anna
Shuler, Mrs. William
Stauffer, Rev. William H.
Stauffer, Mrs. William H.
Trautman, Mrs. Albert
Tyler, Mrs. Alvin
Walter, Miss Margaret
The First Evangelical Church of Lyons, N. Y. had its beginnings in the year 1835. During that year the first class was organized at the home of George Stoetzel, who resided on William St., Rev. M. F. Mees of the East Pennsylvania Conference presided. The following persons were received as charter members: George H. and Saloma Ramize, Michael and Rosina Faulstich, George and Dorothy Stoetzel, George and Catherine Humbert, George and Barbara Ramize, and Phlip Lang.
During this time the services were held in the homes of the members and in the basement of the old Methodist Church; also in the Center building and in the old school house on Pearl St.
On Feb. 5, 1844 the society was incorporated and the following trustees were elected: Louis Schneider, Henry Miller, Fred Hamm, Michael Faulstich and Philip Althen.
On Feb. 13, 1844 the school house on Butternut St. (this building stood directly south of Wayne County Jail) was purchased for the sum of $600.00 and fitted for church purposes.
In 1845 a Sunday School was started with twenty scholars, Daniel Rodenbach and Philip Althen were the first superintendents.
Increased numbers created the need for a larger building and on Feb. 12, 1850, a lot was purchased on the corner of Spencer and Holley Sts. for the sum of $500.00 and soon after, the corner stone was laid. In Dec. 1850, the new church building which cost $6,000.00, was dedicated by Bishp Joseph Lang.
In 1868, the house on the north east corner of Spencer and Canal Sts. was purchased for use as a parsonage. Prior to this time the pastors lived in the basement of the church. In 1872, this house was sold and the present parsonage was built.
In 1881, a new vestibule and steeple were erected, doing away with the original steeple and outside stairs and platform.
All services were conducted in German, until 1889. From this time til 1909, both German and English were used. Since 1909, all the services have been in the English language.
In 1895, a Young People's Society was organized. The first officers were: William F. Kaiser, Pres.; Elizabeth Martin, Vice-Pres.; August Althen, Corres. Sec.; Margaret Feldmann, recording sec.; George Reule, Treas.
In 1902, the auditorium of the church was redecorated and a new carpet and new pews were purchased. The cost was $1,740.
On July 24, 1902, a Ladies' Aid Society was organized. The officers were: Mrs. G. Oakleaf, Prs.; Mrs. G. G. Messinger, Vice-Pres.; Mrs. W. H. Shuler, Sec.; Mrs. G. Greenagle, Treas.
In 1905, the pipe organ was purchased and installed at a cost of $967.
On Aug. 7, 1906, a Women's Missionary Society was organized. Officers were: Mrs. W. H. Stauffer, Pres.; Mrs. G. Greenagle, Vice-Pres.; Mrs. D. E. Buisch, corres. sec.; Mrs. G. Oakleaf, recording sec.; Mrs. A. Trautman, treas.
In 1913, a new carpet was purchased for the floor of the church, and cork composition was put on the Sunday School floor.
The sheds and barns on the south side of the church were removed in 1926, and a two-car garage was built.
In 1932, the Sanctuary and vestibule of the church were remodeled and redecorated at a cost of $1,776.19. The church was reopened for services on April 3, 1932, with Bishop M. T. Maze officiating.
In April 1937, the 102nd Anniversary was held, with Rev. Carl Heinmiller of Ohio, as guest speaker.
During World War II, 21 boys from our congregation served out country.
On July 20, 1944, the Altruists was organized.
In 1946, there was a union of two religious bodies. The Evangelical Church and United Brethren Church. The name then became The Evangelical United Brethren Church.
In 1948, the parsonage kitchen was modernized.
In 1950, papers were signed incorporating the church. Folding doors were installed in the large Sunday School room to take care of the increase in the Primary Dept. Also the outside of the church had a new coat of paint.
In 1952, a gas furnace was installed in the church building, and a new kitchen was built, at a total cost of about $4,500.00.
In 1954, the Sanctuary was painted, the new aisle runners and altar rug were given as memorial gifts.
In 1956, automatic heat was installed in the parsonage.
In 1956, new flooring was laid int he three Sunday School rooms.
SInce their organization on Oct. 12, 1922, the E. U. B. Men have worked diligently on all building and remodeling projects.
Through the years, many Christian workers have given of their time, energy and tithes so that the work of the Lord may go on in First Church of Lyons.
For those who have worshipped in this Church during these one-hundred and twenty-five years that have now gone home to Glory, we give a silent prayer.
Lyons Oil Supply - Arthur C. Schnabel
Amicao Cleaners and Launderers, 17-21 Canal Street
Compliments of Emmie Cole - Red and White, 23 Canal Street
Compliments of Irvin Rockwell, Plumbing and Heating
Best Wishes on your 125th Anniversary, B. J. Lehn - Grocer
Compliments of Schneible Bakery
Compliments of Alloway Store and Service Station
Compliments of Burton's Texaco
Compliments of David D. Bradley, General Insurance, In Business Over 37 Years
John Canne & Sons, Farm Equipment - Machinery Repair, Phelps, N. Y.
Wilbur G. Barnhart - Cemetery Memorials, 48 Water St., Lyons, N. Y.
Herman Bros. Inc., Lyons, N. Y.
Compliments of Wykle's Esso Service
Josph R. Trombino - Mason Contractor, Cement Urns for Cemetery & Lawns
Compliments of Schleede Farm Supply, Lyons, N. Y.
Henry Killick & Sons - Millers, Lyons, N. Y.
Compliments of Community Store, Corner Broad & William
Lyons Floral Shoppe
Compliments of J.J. Newberry
Compliments of Walter Engels
Compliments of Lyons Hardware
Compliments of Humberts Sales & Service
Tri County Feed Inc., Lyons
Vanderveer & Coleman Inc., Farm Produce and Farm Supplies
Mack's Body Shop - Collision Service, 43 Water St., Lyons, N. Y.
Lyons Coal Co.
Compliments of Boeheim Funeral Home, Furniture and Funeral Directors, Est. 1854
Smart's GLF Service - Feed, Seed, Farm Supplies, Lyons, N. Y.
Compliments of Tri Bro Supply Inc., 102-108 Canal St., Lyons, N. Y.
Earle B. Rice - Electrical Contractor
Compliments of Hank's Body Shop, Montezuma St., Lyons, N. Y.
Paliotti's Service Station - Sinclair Gas, Cor. Water & William Sts.
Compliments of La Gasse Iron and Welding
Compliments of Phil & Lou's Auto Shop, Used Cars, Lyons, N. Y.
Compliments of Cup 'N' Spoon, Hot Dog Stand
For Rambler See Elmer L. Westendorf
Compliments of Lyons Service Station, Dodge - Dart
Weeks Funeral Home, 5 Phelps St., Lyons, N. Y.
Charles G. Rooke - Insurance Agency
Gardner Buick Co., Buick Sales & Service, 59 Montezuma St., Lyons, N. Y.
Santelli Lumber Co., Lyons, New York
Dedee Home Appliance Sales & Service, Lyons, N. Y.
Leon E. Lewis - Insurance, 10 William St.
Courtesy of Williamson's Cleaners
Devito's Complete Home Furnishings, Lyons, N. Y.
Harry's Tire Shop, Montezuma and Geneva St., Lyons, N. Y.
Compliments of Greco Jewelers, 9 Canal St., Lyons, N. Y.
Compliments of Paliotti Shoe Store
Compliments of Ford Dairy Inc.
Compliments of Duane Hegedorn
Compliments of William Higgs
Compliments of Edward Johnson
Lyons Men's Shop, 32 Canal St., Lyons, N. Y.
John P. Lytle, Florist, Newark Road, Lyons, N. Y.
Barney's Sunoco Service, Route 31 at Leach Rd., Lyons, N. Y.
Compliments of The Lyons National Bank
Dobbins Drugs Inc. - Your Tall, Handsome Druggists
Marcia Kay Fashions
Sunset Farms Dairy Store, Route 31 at Leach Road, Lyons
Compliments of Harriet's Dress Shop
Compliments of Fairmont Foods Co.
H. B. Lauster & Sons
Boeheim's Family Shoe Store, 17 Broad St., Lyons
Compliments of Sapp's Red & White, 20 Broad St., Lyons, N. Y.
Compliments of William Haidley - Paint & Wallpaper Store, 42 Water St., Lyons, N. Y.
Compliments of Peter Renzi - Restaurant Supply Co., Water St., Lyons, N. Y.
Agnes & Johnnies Restaurant, William St., Lyons, N. Y.
Compliments of Amrose Super Market
Perry Distributors Inc., Serving Americas' Fur Farmers, Lyons, N. Y.
Compliments of Juliano's Auto Parts, Lyons, N. Y.
A. C. Andler, Lyons Oldest & Most Up to Date Dairy Producing & Retailing Milk, Lyons, N. Y.
Santelli's Super Market, Lyons, N. Y.
Wm. G. Paterson - Insurance Agency, 7 Canal St., Lyons, N. Y.
Compliments of Ohmann Bros., Lyons, N. Y.
Van Dusen's Appliance Store
Hecox Auto Electric - Magnetos, Starters, Generators, 184 Water St., Lyons, N. Y.
Church Calendar - times of worship services, and days and times of organization meetings
Order of Service for Sunday, May 8, 1960 - readings, hymns and sacred music
Remarks from Pastor Charles L. Hertzog
Photos of Pastor Hertzog and guest speaker J. Gordon Howard (Bishop of the East Central Area, Evangelical United Brethren Church)
The site coordinators have no information about this church or any of the individuals listed. We thank you in advance for not emailing us with questions but directing ALL inquiries to the Office of the County Historian.