Hocroft Golf Club
1899 or 1900
FALL DAYS ON THE LINKS
The Fun of Batting a Rubber Ball up Hocroft Hill and Back - Doings of the Golf Club.
There was a largely attended meeting at the home of Miss Foster Monday evening for the purpose of perfecting an organization and discussing plans for the fall's sport on the links. A club was formally organized known as the Hocroft Golf club. L. M. Blakely was chosen president and various committees appointed for the purpose of drawing up by-laws and a constitution, arranging meetings, etc. The project of building a club house was talked as was the proposal to purchase the Hinkel cottage on the south end of Hocroft hill. The membership fee was fixed at $1 for women and $2 for men. Many applications for membership was received. Other officers elected were Secretary-treasurer, Miss Isabel Foster; executive committee, C.P. Williams, A.H. Gates, Mrs. Hamm, Mrs. H.G. Hotchkiss.
The course has been laid out under the direction of Judge Williams and DeWitt Parshall. The links begin on the meadows below the Hocroft, about opposite the site of the old saw mill. It is a nine-hole course a mile and a half long and running about as follows: From the starting hole near Canal street diagonally across the meadow to within a few yards of the woods, then parallel with Black Brook to the old canal; thence after a carry of fifty yards and a jump across the brook, directly up Hocroft hill in the steepest part just north of the woods; thence south along the crest of the hill to the Hinkel cottage and thence around the Hinkel cottage and down the hill to the meadows. No artificial bunkers are needed as the lofting up the hill furnishes enough of that sort of work. The links possess great natural beauty and are rugged enough for the most rabid enthusiast. The climb up the hill is rather arduous for some of the ladies but once there a view is afforded that can not be surpassed for miles around. The holes are placed at irregular intervals and there is enough variety in the approaches to afford a fair test of every style of play.
This is transcribed from a newspaper article in a scrapbook belonging to A. Lida Dickie. This scrapbook is on file at the Office of the County Historian, Lyons, New York. If you have any information about this club or what's on the land now, please contact the site coordinators or Office of the County Historian.
The site coordinators have no information about individuals or this organization. We thank you in advance for not emailing us with questions but directing ALL inquiries to the Office of the County Historian.
Copyright © 2006 - 2011 Allyn Hess Perry
Wayne County NYGenWeb
A County Site of the USGenWeb Project
All Rights Reserved.