WAYNE COUNTY NY GRANGE MEMBERSHIP, 1936
Macedon, Palmyra, South Shore (Ontario) & Williamson
Macedon Grange No. 326 was organized April 16, 1876 by Mr. Bradley Riggs of Palmyra. The first meeting place was in the district school, north of the village. Hiram C. Durfee was elected first Master. Rooms were next rented in the Academy and were shared by the order of "Good Templars." On April 1, 1905, the present Grange Hall was purchased from the Society of Orthodox Friends. A celebration of the burning of the final notes on the hall was held February 28, 1914. Macedon Grange in the early years maintained a Patron's Store. The 60th Anniversary of Macedon Grange was celebrated April 16, 1935, with appropriate ceremonies. The Grange now has 112 members on the roll, nine of which are past masters.
Hiram C. Durfee, 1 yr.; Albert Briggs, 2 yrs.; I. Falman, 1 yr.; Burton S. Durfee, 5 yrs.; John Wilson, 1yr.; Cyrus Packard, 2 yrs.; Wm. Greene, 10 yrs.; G. H. Hadden, 2 yrs.; Chas. Huendeen, 2 yrs.; Wm. Billngs, 1 yr.; Thomas Bridges, 7 yrs.; D. E. Barker, 2 yrs.; Philander Packard, 2 yrs.; O. B. Furman, 1 yr.; John Wilkinson, 2 yrs.; Duane Wiedrick, 2 yrs.; Durfee Hoag, 3 yrs.; Frank Deibold, 2 yrs.; George Bradley, 5 yrs.; Carl Blaker, 1 yr.; Ernest Deibold, 1 yr.; Howard Bradley, 2yrs.; Victor Smith, 2 yrs.; Arthur Bradley, 2 yrs.; Parker Allen, 1 yr.
Master, Hiram C. Durfee; Overseer, Burton S. Durfee; Lecturer, Albert Briggs; Steward, I. S. Chase; Assistant Steward, John Wilson; Chaplain, Tracy S. Clark; Treasurer, Cyrus Packard; Secretary, Libbie J. Durfee; Gatekeeper, J. W. Colburn; Ceres, Mrs. E. J. Blaker; Pomona, Mrs. E. R. Chase; Flora, Miss C. Puloir; Lady Assistant Steward, Mrs. L. Wilson.
MACEDON GRANGE PRESENT OFFICERS
Master, Parks C. Allen; Overseer, I. R. Bryant; Lecturer, Miss Helen Kemp; Steward, Arthur G. Bradley; Assistant Steward, George Packard; Chaplain, Mrs. F. H. Bryant; Treasurer, Victor R. Smith; Secretary, Howard E. Bradley; Gatekeeper, Frank A. Deibold; Ceres, Miss Clara Miller; Pomona, Miss Esther Spafford; Flora, Miss Celia Hoag; Lady Assistant Steward, Mrs. George Packard; Financial Secretary, Philander Packard.
MACEDON GRANGE MEMBERS
PALMYRA GRANGE No. 123
A group of enterprising farmers met on February 25, 1874, and organized the Palmyra Grange, No. 123, Patrons of Husbandry. George Sprague of Lockport, Secretary of the New York State Grange, was present and was assisted by William Strong, of Clyde, N. Y. There were 30 charter members, one of whom is now living, Mrs. Anna Robinson. During the earlier years meetings were often held in the homes of members. The Grange membership has had a steady growth until there are now 320 members. There are about 70 members or more who have had the Seventh Degree and about the same number with the Sixth Degree. Nearly one-third of the members are enrolled in the Pomona Grange. There are 45 Silver Certificate members and two living Golden Sheaf members, Mrs. P. S. Aldrich and Mrs. Anna Robinson.
D. S. Aldrich, J. O. Clark, A. S. Durfee, A. T. Goldsmith, A. W. Marshall, Nelson Reeves, E. H. Robinson, Mrs. A. S. Durfee, Mrs. M. B. Riggs, Miss Frances Foster, N. S. Backus, C. P. Clark, J. R. Foster, W. H. Kent, J. R. Nottingham, M. B. Riggs, Mrs. Cordelia Chapman, Mrs. Emma Gillet, Mrs. Louisa Robinson, Thaddeus Phillips, T. H. Chapman, James Davis, J. P. Gillet, Norman Lapham, Hendee Parshall, C. R. Robinson, Mrs. Anna Clark, Mrs. Emma Reeves, Mrs. Anna Robinson, Mrs. Maria Clark.
M. B. Riggs, J. O. Clark, H. M. Clark, A. S. Durfee, J. R. Foster, L. W. Feller, Thaddeus Phillips, W. H. Kent, G. H. Reeves, E. H. Clark, M. B. Riggs, J. O. Clark, N. S. Backus, Edmund Reynolds, P. S. Aldrich, W. W. Edgerton, R. N. Backus, E. H. Clark, C. H. Rogers, P. S. Aldrich, R. N. Backus, J. H. Walton, P. S. Aldrich, Alonzo Chase, C. H. Johnson, John Newman, Mrs. Wm. E. Hosey, P. S. Aldrich, Mrs. Edward P. Oaks, James Ingles, C. H. Johnson, Mrs. P. S. Aldrich, C. H. Johnson, George R. Harrison, J. H. Walton, W. H. Dixon, Alvin LaRue, Henry Reynolds, Merritt S. Mumby, Earl M. Smith.
PALMYRA GRANGE PRESENT OFFICERS
Master, George T. Coveney; Overseer, Philip M. Trautman; Lecturer, Prudence M. Warner; Steward, Daniel Shaw; Assistant Steward, Arnold Smith; Chaplain, Mrs. Philip M. Trautman; Treasurer, Mrs. William Pierce; Secretary, Mrs. Coral J. Poyzer; Gatekeeper, Ralph Cramer; Ceres, Mrs. Alice McClelland; Pomona, Hazel Gordon; Flora, Hazel Cramer; Lady Assistant Steward, Gertrude Wright; Color Bearer, Warren Jordan,; Executive Committee, George L. Chapman, William Alderman, Henry M. Reynolds.
PALMYRA GRANGE MEMBERS
SOUTH SHORE GRANGE
The first Grange in the Ontario community was stated February 16, 1874, at Ontario Center, but in as much as most of its membership was comprised of Lincoln people, the charter was transferred to that town and a Grange started there. Fourteen years later, March 28, 1888, W. H. Kent of Palmyra, the Deputy at that time, started the present Grange at the home of Mr. Emmet Teats in Ontario where the Phillip Wickies farm is now located. There were nineteen charter members with two others detained by storms, and the name "South Shore Grange" was adopted.
In April of the same year the Grange moved to the village in the G. A. R. Building, later across the street, and still later moving to the Mepham Block on Mill Street where it was held for a good many years while plans were being carried through for a separate building. January, 1932, saw the culmination of all the Grange's hopes with the building of the new concrete hall on West Main Street where modern conveniences and valuable opportunities are available to Grange members and to the community.
The Grange with a present membership of 294 and an active Juvenile Grange looks forward to the high goal which the past masters set before them.
Master, L. Jennings; Overseer, J. C. Howk; Lecturer, Mrs. L. Jennings; Steward, Clancy Norton; Assistant Steward, Wm. Thayer; Chaplain, Wm. Fries; Treasurer, Emmet Teats; Secretary, C. T. Sherburne; Gatekeeper; B. J. Hopkins; Pomona, Mrs. Wm. Thayer; Flora, Mrs. J. C. Howk; Ceres, Mrs. Emmet Teats; Lady Assistant Steward, Mrs. Wm. Fries.
SOUTH SHORE GRANGE PAST MASTERS
Loren Jennings, J. C. Howk, Burton Hopkins, Albert Middleton, Frank Stanford, G. P. Norton, Dr. J. S. Brandt, John Fewster, Frank Brown, C. C. Norton, Floyd Gates, Wilbur Palmer, George Chapman, Floyd Mepham, Merrit Adams, Wm. Quance, Mrs. B. Pratt and Monroe Cass.
Master, Lorenzo Palmer; Overseer, Walter Cone; Lecturer, Mrs. Chas. Hurley; Chaplain, Mrs. Fillmore; Steward, Osmond Hamlin; Assistant Steward, Adelbert Murphy; Gatekeeper, Ed. Mason; Treasurer, Mrs. R. Stevens; Secretary, Avis Place; Flora, Mary E. Hichey; Ceres, Rosemary McGuire; Pomona, Lucille Porray; Lady Assistant Steward, Mrs. Lois Cass.
SOUTH SHORE GRANGE MEMBERS
WILLIAMSON GRANGE No. 338
Williamson Grange was organized July 12, 1875 with 43 charter members. Meetings were first held in Stark's Hall. In 1915 plans were formed and the present Grange home was built, the cornerstone being laid June 22, 1915 with appropriate ceremonies. Dedication of the new building took place January 15, 1916. Celebration of the Golden Anniversary of this Grange occurred July 11, 1925. Past State and Past National Master Sherman J. Lowell gave an address. A Juvenile Grange was organized in 1925 with 15 charter members. It is noteworthy that Williamson Grange has always taken a vital interest in governmental affairs. During its 61 years of existence there are records of discussions and resolutions on railroad legislation, schools, gambling, parcel post, woman suffrage, daylight saving, etc. Many farm problems are also discussed. This Grange has contributed to Community projects, State Grange Revolving Scholarship fund, Children's Home at Randolph, Boy Scout Fund, Christmas cheer baskets, Red Cross Relief Work. It nobly strives to uphold the principles laid down by the founders of the order. Regular meetings are held the second and fourth Saturdays of each month. This Grange united by the strong and faithful tie of Agriculture resolves to labor for the good of our order, our country, and mankind.
John P. Bennett, Charles Bennett, W. D. Russell, A. G. Austin, W. E. Brown, D. C. Hance, D. F. Russell, D. R. Milhan, B. P. Peer, John Yeomans, Charles Adams, W. P. Rogers, A. B. Nash, B. J. Woodhull, F. F. Field, S. D. Milhan, W. J. Gates, J. D. Ameele, Clyde Mason, BH. H. Kussie, Henry Lawrence, W. C. Hoagland, B. H. Kussie, F. G. Peters, E. A. Nash, H. R. Cruttenden.
WILLIAMSON GRANGE PRESENT OFFICERS
Master, Ernest Hagood; Overseer, Charles DeMarree; Lecturer, L. B. Foreman; Steward, Ernest Selby; Assistant Steward, Ellis Elliot; Chaplain, A. J. Contant; Treasurer, A. B. Nash; Secretary, Mrs. E. A. Nash; Gatekeeper, Stanley Bushart; Ceres, Mrs. Miller Meaker; Pomona, Mrs. John Vandeviver; Flora, Miss Ilene Benton; L. A. Steward, Mrs. Lloyd Tellier; Trustees, B. H. Kussie, C. P. Fairbanks, F. C. Peters.
WILLIAMSON GRANGE MEMBERS
SOURCE: information abstracted from Official Directory and History of Wayne County Granges, Patrons of Husbandry, 1936, compiled by Earl E. Smith, Sodus, N.Y., publisher and printer not stated.
The site coordinators have no information about individuals listed or about the specific granges. We realize that some of the spellings look incorrect, may be incorrect, and probably are incorrect. But as you recognize your relatives, typing this up was worthwhile. The lists have been proofread against the original book, and to maintain the historical integrity of this resource, the spellings of your relatives' names will remain as in the original. We thank you in advance for not emailing us with questions but directing ALL inquiries to the Office of the County Historian.
Copyright © 2014 Wayne County NYGenWeb
A County Site of the USGenWeb Project
All Rights Reserved.