Wayne County, NY
By George W. Cowles
Source: Landmarks of Wayne County, New York, by George Washington Cowles. Syracuse, N.Y.: D. Mason. 1895.
George W. Cowles' Landmarks of Wayne County, New York contains many biographical sketches that residents contributed to him in 1895, as well as bios of prominent residents who'd passed away. The sketches weren't published in alphabetical order and start towards the end of the alphabet. We'll be posting biographies in their original order of appearance in the book as more pages are contributed to us, and building the index as we know who's in it. This could take a long time. Below are just some of the many sketches.
Although surname spellings are as in the book, this transcription may contain typographical errors. Be sure to compare entries to the original book before adding to your family data.
TERRY, George H., was born in Elba, Genesee county, November 11, 1865, was educated in the common schools,
and finished at the select school of E. G. Thrall, of Batavia, after which he established a manufacturing
business in Toronto. Selling out in 1886, he traveled six years and January 1, 1893, bought the wall paper,
window shades, room and picture moldings business of Jacob SEES in Lyons, to which he has added largely,
and is now carrying the finest line of his goods in Wayne county. He also does a large wholesale trade,
shipping goods to all parts of New York State and Canada. At the age of eighteen he married Myrtle V., daughter of
Calvin S. LOOMIS, of Batavia, N.Y. Our subject is one of the most active business men in his town, identified
in advancing its best interests, and is recognized as a man of sterling integrity and worth.
TAYLOR, E.P., was born in Lyons February 27, 1833. His father, Elijah, was a native of Northampton, Mass.,
and came to Lyons in 1822 and followed the manufacturing of leather for fifty-three years. The same business is
now continued by the son William in LYons. E.P. Taylor was educated at the Lyons Union School and then entered the
tanning business. In 1869 he bought the A.F. Redfield tannery at Clyde in connection with his brother Lathrop, continuing
up to 1884, when he disposed of his interest to his brother George J. In the same year he bought the Oliver PENOYER farm
four miles north of Lyons of 1 25 acres, raising fruit, hay, grain and stock. At the age of twenty-five he married
Juliette PATON, daughter of James and Mehitable DUNN, of Lyons, and who are the parents of two children: Elijah D.
and Mrs. Lettie M. LANGDON. Our subject has been prominently identified in advancing the best interests of the town of
Galen, having been trustee of School District No. 4 in 1875 and 1876, building the south side school house during his
term of office. He was supervisor in 1877-1878 and was appointed county treasurer by the Board of Supervisors for the year
1879, taking an active interest in educational and religious matters, having been a member of the M. E. Church thirty-five
years, and is recognized as a man of sterling integrity and worth, whose life has proven his word to be as good as his bond.
TOWNSEND, Jonathan, was born in Hebron, Conn., December 13, 1787, and died at Palmyra, N.Y., September 15, 1853. He was
the eldest of six children. Early in life he removed with his father to Brattleboro, Vermont. They were merchants in that
place for several years. From Vermont they removed to Marcy, Oneida county, N.Y., and purchased a large dairy farm. It was on this
farm his father was killed by a bull October 8, 1820, aged fifty-eight years. He married Ruth HUBBARD, of Trenton, Oneida county,
N.Y., March 13, 1827, who was born in Middletown, Conn., April 15, 1791, and died at Palmyra, N.Y., May 27, 1860. From Marcy he
removed to Ashtabula, Ohio, where he was engaged in the hardware business for a short time. From that place he came to reside in
Palmyra, N.Y., in 1836, and bought a farm of one hundred acres. They had two children: Mary Elizabeth Townsend, born in Marcy,
Oneida county, N.Y., October 21, 1830, and died at Palmyra, N.Y., September 7, 1872. She was married to John PITKIN, of Hartford, Conn.,
November 29, 1855; George Hubbard Townsend, born at Marcy, Oneida county, N.Y., November 3, 1833, died at Palmyra, N.Y., January 5, 1892.
November 22, 1862, he married Isabelle J. JOHNSON who was born at Palmyra, N.Y., October 20, 1839, daughter of David Johnson by his second
wife, Juliana CASE (maiden name KELSEY), who was born in Portland, Conn., March 1, 1804, died at Palmyra, N.Y., July 7, 1877. They had two
children: Jonathan, who died August 25, 1862, aged three months, and George Johnson Townsend, born at Palmyra, N.Y., August 26, 1868, and is
now living with his mother on the farm near Palmyra.
TALCOTT, Benjamin Arad, was born in Huron on the farm he now owns September 10, 1862, the son of Joseph Talcott, born on the same place in 1821. He was the son of Arad Talcott, a native of Coventry, Conn., who came to Huron with an ox team in 1817, and settled on the farm now owned by our subject, where he and wife spent the rest of their days. Joseph is now a retired farmer, living in the town of Wolcott. His wife is Celestia CHAPIN,
and their children are: Cornelia, widow of Jacob GURNEE, of Huron; Mary Ella, wife of William BAKER, of Wolcott, and Benjamin A. At the age of
twenty-one our subject began for himself on the homestead farm, making a specialty of fruit growing. In January, 1891, he married Nellie, daughter of
Judson and Electa BOYNTON, of Wolcott, who was born in 1866, and they have one child, Lois E., born April 11, 1894. Our subject is a member of the Wolcott
Grange, and is a Republican.
THACKER, William H., senior member of the firm of Thacker Bros. & Co., of Wolcott, was born June 26, 1833, at Owasco, Cayuga county, N.Y. He came to
Wolcott in 1840, and until forty years of age his principal occupation was farming. He moved to Wolcott village in 1873. In 1875 the present business was
established in copartnershp with his brother, Albert B., and has grown to be the most important retail business of Wolcott, with dry goods, boots and
shoes and groceries as specialties. September 5, 1855, he married Augusta M. RICE, of Wolcott. In 1868 they united with the Presbyterian Church of Wolcott.
Mr. Thacker has held many positions of trust in Wolcott, attesting the esteem and confidence in which he is justly held. Among them might be mentioned twenty-five years of service in the Board of Education of Leavenworth Institute and Wolcott Union School.
TRAVER, Asa, was born in the town of Galen, January 1 6, 1837. His father, Daniel, came to Wayne county in 1830. He was a prominent farmer of his town and died July 5, 1870, aged eighty-five years. Asa Traver was educated in the common schools, to which he has added through life by reading and close observation. After leaving school he returned to his father's farm, and at the age of twenty-five, married Lovina, daughter of Heman SHEPARD, and they are the parents of one son, Heman D. Traver. In 1869 he came to Clyde and purchased the MYERS property; in 1872 purchased the Melser WHITTLESEY farm, having 112 acres, raising fruit, grain and stock.
THOMAS, Andrew A., was born in Huron November 16, 1856, son of William Henry Thomas, of Huron, a native of Cayuga county, born April 25, 1823. The grandparents were Alexander and Ruth (HART) Thomas, of Amsterdam. The father of our subject was bound out at the age of seven years to learn the weaver's trade. When eighteen he came to Huron and engaged in business for himself. His wife was Emeline GRAHAM, of Rochester, and their children were: Andrew and Eliza Jane, deceased wife of Henry KLINE, of Huron. Our subject has devoted his life to farming. In 1883 he married Matie A., daughter of Lewis and Rebecca KLINE, of Huron. He and his wife are members of the Huron Grange.
sTERRY, Fred H., was born in Clyde, August 3, 1854. His father, Alfred F. Terry, was a native of Long Island and was one of the first settlers of the village of Clyde. Fred H. Terry, after leaving school, entered a drug store in Clyde, where he remained a short time and then, in 1872, went to Sioux City. Here, in connection with his father, he ran a steamboat in the U.S. government employ, carrying Indian supplies from Sioux City to Fort Benton, Montana, and freighted the first cargo of lumber and building materials that reached the city of Bismarck on the Missouri river. He returned to Clyde in 1873 and entered the employ of Dr. J. E. SMITH. In 1876 he bought out J. P. PARDEE and succeeded him in the drug business. Mr. Terry is now one of the leading druggist in the town. He married Miss Katie WOOD, daughter of Henry Wood, and to them one child, Viva, has been born.
TURNER, Dr. Jennie, was born in the town of Manchester, a daughter of John Turner, who was a prominent farmer of that town. At the age of fifteen she entered the Academy at Newark, obtaining a teacher's certificate at sixteen, teaching in that school for two years. In 1872 she entered the Cortland Normal and graduated in 1874, and in the fall of the same year took charge of the school at Dryden, Tompkins county, as one of the principals, resigning in 1877. The same year she entered the medical department of the University of Michigan, graduating in 1879. Afterwards a year was spent at the New England Hospital for Women and Children at Boston. With this ripe experience she came to Lyons in 1881 and at once took a
prominent part in practice. During the past five years she has been secretary of the Wayne County Medical Society, and she is frequently called in consultation by leading physicians of the county. She was a partner during the first three years of her practice at Lyons with Dr. C. C. HALL. Dr. Turner is a member of the Presbyterian Church, and an active worker in all movements for the uplifting of society. While at college and at school she distinguished herself as a fine student and her career as a physician has been marked by severe study and laborious practice.
THAYER, Aldrich, was born in Macedon, May 16, 1800, the fifth of ten children of William and Chloe (PRESTON) Thayer, natives of Massachusetts, who came to New York in 1800, and settled in Palmyra (now Macedon), being pioneers of Wayne county. The grandfather, William, also of Massachusetts, came to Macedon and spent his last days with his son, William. He died at about eighty years of age. William Thayer, jr., came to Ontario about 1820, and bought land on the Lake road. He died in 1822, and his wife in 1838. Aldrich was reared on a farm, and has always been engaged in farming.
He now has about seventy-six acres, and has given his sons about 140 acres. His son, William, now carried on the business on both farms. Mr. Thayer has been twice married, first to Hulda OLCOTT, by whom he had eight children, two sons, one living, and two daughters living. She died in 1837, and he married second, Mary Ann, daughter of Josiah and Electa (ROGERS) McKEE, by whom he has had five children, three sons, two living, and two daughters, now living. In politics Mr. Thayer is a Republican, and Mrs. Thayer is a member of the Methodist church.
TAYLOR, Emogene, daughter of the late Arthur BOWEN, of Fulton, was born there in 1845, and came to Red Creek with her parents when five years of age. January 1, 1860, she married Bennet Taylor, who entered the Union army in 1864, and lost his life at Newbern, N.C., at the age of thirty. He left two daughters: Minnie, now Mrs. Robert WORDEN; and Libbie, the wife of Fred OWEN. In 1874 Mrs. Taylor built the commodious hotel, known
as the Taylor House, conducting it in person, and with much satisfaction to her patrons.
TYRRELL, J. S., was born in 1838 at Plainfield, Mass., and is the son of Ezra Tyrrell, a manufacturer of wooden ware at that place. The Tyrrells are conspicuous for longevity, Ezra being now ninety-five years of age. His wife, Lucy (LOWDEN), died in 1864, leaving six children, of whom our subject is the sole representative in Wayne county. J. S. Tyrrell is a man of original thought and indomitable will, and has hewed his own way to success in life, having been dependent upon the public schools of New England for his educational advantages in youth. His various business enterprises in real estate, crockery, and evaporated fruits, do not wholly engross his energies, as he also operates three farms, one of which is conducted by his youngest son, George F. His wife was Cynthia LEONARD, of Northampton, Mass., and they were married September 26, 1859, and had five children: Mary A., Walter V.,
George F., Mabel L., and Leila B. Mr. Tyrrell is a staunch Republican, and has been honored with various positions of trust. He and his wife and children are members of the Presbyterian church.
THOMAS, Byron, was born in Berlin, Rensselaer county, December 12, 1843. The family came to Newark in 1857, where our subject received his education in the Union school and academy. He first taught school, and later was a clerk in the post-office. He then entered the First National Bank of Newark as a clerk, was promoted through the several grades to the position of cashier, which he held for a number of years. ILn 1884 he was elected county clerk, and removing to Lyons, took possession of the office January 1, 1885, serving three years. He was also trustee of the village of Lyons two years, clerk of the village of Newark, and trustee also of the railway commissioners of the town. May 23, 1871, he married Ellen C. SMITH, of Newark, and they have one daughter, Martha A., a student in Utica. Rowland, father of Byron, was also born in Berlin, February 23, 1807. He went to Hancock, Mass., where he read medicine with his cousin, Dr. P. H. THOMAS, then took a course in Berkshire Medical Institute at Pittsfield, the medical department of Williams College, graduating in 1831. He then attended lectures in Albany for three years, and began practice at Petersburg, N.Y., with Dr. Hiram MOSES, remaining
nine years. Returning to Berlin, he practiced with distinguished success until 1857, when he removed to Newark for the purpose of educating his son. He was always interested in educational matters, and was a member of the Board of Education for a period of twelve years. He was Republican in politics. His wife was Adelia M. HINSDILL, of Bennington, Vt., and their children were: Byron, and a daughter, who died in infancy. He died June 13, 1892, and his wife June 7, 1893. A sister, Martha, now 85 years of age, survives him and resides with Byron at the old homestead in Newark.
VAN BUSKIRK, Jacob Tremper, was born at Buskirk's Bridge, N.Y., May 5, 1823, at which place he passed the earlier years of his life. In 1842 he came to Clyde, and resided here from that date until his death, June 2, 191. He was postmaster at Clyde
during President Taylor's administration from 1849 to 1853, and served as deputy-postmaster for more than twenty years. Upon the completion of the New York Central Railroad, in 1854, he was appointed the first ticket agent in Clyde. He was amongst the
first to volunteer his services in the Rebellion, enlisting as first lieutenant of Company B., 111th N. Y. Volunteers, and on his departure to the front he was presented with a handsome and valuable sword by the citizens of Clyde. This sword is now the property
of his eldest son, a cherished emblem and revered heirloom. At the surrender of Harper's Ferry, in 1862, Lieutenant Van Buskirk was taken prisoner, paroled, and afterward honorably discharged. In 1869 he was elected a justice of the peace, and held the
position continuously by re-election until his death, covering a period of nearly twenty-four years. He also served one term as justice of sessions. Mr. Van Buskirk was an active member of Snedaker Post, No. 173, G.A.R., serving as its commander
and adjutant. He was prominently connected with the Presbyterian Church, being an elder therein from 1868 to 1880, and superintendent of its Sunday school form 1859 to 1872. In all positions in life he conscientiously discharged his duties with characteristic
fidelity; he was honored with many offices of trust, which he ably filled to the last benefit of his constituents. April 5, 1849, he married Phoebe S. LYRON, who died February 14, 1886. Five children survive them, viz.: Albert M., of Clyde; Amelia L., and Barton W., of
Rochester; George A., of Massilon, O., and Henry J., of Toledo, O. Albert M. Van Buskirk was the first superintendent and local manager of the Clyde Water Works, and held the position until his resignation in 1891, when he removed to Greencastle, Ind., and took charge of the
water works at that city. He subsequently returned to his native town, and resumed newspaper work on the Clyde Times, with which journal he has been connected for twenty years, successively serving as apprentice, journeyman and local editor. In the spring of 1894 he was
elected a justice of the peace for the town of Galen.
TABER, Henry R., born in Lewis county, January 21, 1829, is the youngest of four children of Silas and Susanna (BRISTOL) Taber, he a native of Dutchess county, born October 9, 1789, and she a native of Sand Lake, Rensselaer, born August 25, 1788. He died in Palmyra, June 5, 1875,
and his wife April 30, 1876. Our subject was educated in the common schools, Marion Academy, and Palmyra Classical Union School, and studied law with Charles McLOUTH, of Palmyra. He was admitted to the bar in 1865, since which he has followed his profession. He was elected justice in 1858, and except for one and one-half years has since filled the office. He has been justice of sessions several times, and is now serving his eleventh term as supervisor. Mr. Taber married, May 14, 1850, Thankful M., daughter of William and Mary (SROPE) BILBY, of Marion. Her parents died, October 30, 1861, and December 1, 1864, respectively. Mr. Taber and wife had had one child, Elida J., who resides with them.
VAN DUYNE, Ezra M., living two and one-half miles north of the village, is the son of Abraham and Sarah Van Duyne, of Phelps, N.Y., was born in Palmyra, Wayne county, N.Y., September 19, 1849, he being one of eight children, two living in Wayne county, Ezra and Smith Van Duyne, the latter
living in Butler. Ezra was educated at Phelps Union School, attending winters and working on the farm during the summer months; was married, February 11, 1874, to Hattie A., oldest daughter of Daniel HARRINGTON, of Savannah. The years intervening 1874 and 1883 were passed in Butler.
Mrs. Ezra Van Duyne now occupies the home in which she was born, rebuilt, however, in 1864, where her parents settled in the year of 1847, it being at that time a wilderness. Her great-grandfather, William Harrington, was the first white settler in Butler. The children of Mr. and Mrs. Van Duyne, are: George H., born November 12, 1874, Della A., who died in infancy, and Bertha, born August 17, 1882. Mr. Van Duyne is a Republican, and both he and his wife are members of the church of the disciples at Butler. The parents of Mr. Van Duyne are both dead, his mother dying March 26, 1881, his father coming to Savannah at the death of his wife to reside. In May, 1887, he was severely injured in a railway accident, from which he never fully recovered, his death occurring September 2, 1887.
VANOSTRAND, Fred L., a native of Marion, born August 29, 1834, is the second of nine children of Charles and Sally (SANFORD) VANOSTRAND. Her father, Stephen Sanford, one of the pioneers of Marion, came from Tiverton, R.I., and settled in Marion when twenty-one years of age. The grandfather was Charles, who spent most of his life in Saratoga county and died aged ninety-four years. The father was bound to millwright trade at the age of fourteen, and at the age of twenty-one went to Canada. He built the first saw mill in Mexico, and put up the first thrasher in Western New York. He died in Marion in 1874, aged seventy-seven. The mother still survives. Subject was reared on the farm and educated at the Marion Institute. He married in 1858 Lydia, daughter of Daniel and Hannah DEAN, of Marion, and they have one son and one daughter: Byron D. and Mary H. Byron married Eva BROWN, and is county superintendent of public schools in Marion, Kan.; is a graduate of Cornell University, and is also a practicing lawyer. He is superintendent of city schools of Marion, Kan. Mr. Vanostrand has always followed farming, his home being in Marion, but has spent some time in Kansas. He carried on general farming and fruit growing, also dairying. He is a member of the Grange, also a member of A.O.U.W., and of Marion Lodge No. 296.
VEEDER, Major A., A.M., M.D., was born at Ashtabula, O., November 2, 1848, lived at Schenectady, N.Y., from 1850 to 1871, graduating from the classical department of the Union School in that city in 1866, and from Union College in 1870, was principal of Ives Seminary at Antwerp, N.Y. several years. Studied in Leipzig
University, Germany, and graduated in medicine from the Medical Department of the University of Buffalo in 1883, then entered upon general practice at Lyons, N.Y., for three years in association with Dr. E.W. Bottum and subsequently alone. Dr. Veeder is a member in good standing of the Wayne County and Central New
York Societies and has read and published many papers upon medical topics. He is also a member of the American Society of Microscopists and has been employed as an expert to give evidence of living microscopic organisms, a point whose importance has since come to be very generally recognized. His contributions to
Sanitary Science have won for him recognition, and he has recently been honored by a request to prepare a paper to be read at the International Congress of Hygiene and Demography to be held at Buda Pesth, Austria. Since 1887 he has been a member of the American Association for the Advancement of Science and has presented to that body the results of his own original researches respecting certain phases of meteorological science, which are beginning to attract wide spread attention. These results have been set forth somewhat in detail in a series of papers which he read before the Rochester (N.Y.) Academy of Science and which have been published by that institution, entitled "The Forces Concerned in the Development of Storms," "Thunderstorms," "The Aurora" and "The Zodiacal Light." As the result of the interest aroused by these and other articles, he was invited to prepare papers which were presented at the International Congress of Meteorology held at Chicago in 1893 on the following topics, "Periodic and Non-periodic Fluctuation in the Latitude of Storms Tracks," and "An International Cypher Code for Correspondence respecting the Aurora and Related Conditions." These researches have led to the organization of a system of concerted observatories of the aurora in which the Arctic explorers, Lieut. Perry and Dr. Nansen, are co-operating with observers scattered throughout every part of the earth where this phenomenon is encountered at all. The results of these organized efforts have been to establish an apparent relation of the aurora, not only to the disturbances of the earth's magnetism with which it has long been known to be associated, but also to thunderstorms, and to certain very definite solar conditions in a manner not heretofore suspected. If these results, which now seem highly probable, are verified completely by the earnest efforts being made to that end, it will revolutionize meteorology absolutely. In connection with the studies above indicated Dr. Veeder has become a contributor to many journals both in this and other countries and has entered into active correspondence with investigators connected with various societies and institutions in all parts of the earth. He is also a member of the Holland Society of New York, whose members are required to be descendants int he direct line of Hollanders who came to this country previous to 1675, he being a descendant at the eighth generation of Simon Volkertse Veeder, who was purser of the ship Prince Maurice of the Dutch navy, and who settled in New Amsterdam (now New York) in 1644, and who was a member of the pioneer party who went from Beaverwyck (now Albany) in 1662, for the purpose of founding what subsequently became the city of Schenectady. Dr. Veeder at the age of twenty-four married Mary E., daughter of Peleg WOOD of Schenectady, and they have four children, Albert F., Willard H., Sarah E. and Martha A. Veeder.
VROOMAN, W. R., D.D.S., was born in Dixon, Ill., December 5, 1858, where his father, S. A. Vrooman, was engaged in the mercantile business. He is a direct descendant of the old Knickerbocker stock, amongst whom were the several Vrooman brothers who came from Holland to the United States and settled in the Mohawk Valley about 1760. At an early age he removed to Canada where he was educated at St. Catharine's Collegiate Institute and Toronto University; and, graduating from Toronto Normal School, taught a number of years in Ontario successfully, also a graduate of the Dental Department of Toronto University, member of the Royal College of Dental Surgeons and honor graduate of the Pennsylvania College Dental Surgery, receiving the honors of his class of 300 members. In 1888 he came to Clyde and established himself in his profession in which he is actively engaged. At the age of thirty-two he married Jessie B., daughter of the late Hon. J. S. L'AMOREAUX, of Clyde. They are the parents of one daughter, Marjorie Roselle. Thoroughlyy scientific in his attainments, he employs nothing but the latest and most scientific methods in his profession. A close student and lover of science, he is now pursuing a course of medical studies in Jefferson Medical College, Philadelphia, from which institution he expects to graduate at an early date. He is prominently identified with the Masonic order, being a member of Clyde Lodge, F. & A. M., Griswold Chapter, R. A. M., and Zenobia Commandery Knights Templar of Palmyra, N. Y.
VAN ETTEN, J. W., was born in Lyons, March 11, 1833. His father, Cornelius W., was a native of Sussex, N. J., and removed to the town of Wolcott in 1835. He died in the prime of manhood at the age of thirty-five. His wife, Esther, daughter of Jacob WESTBROOK, of Sussex county, N. J., and four children were left: Margaret, Henry, John W., and Mary J., of whom John W. is the sole survivor. He was educated in the common schools, the Lyons Union School, and took business course at the Bryant & Stratton College at Buffalo, graduating in 1856, after which he read law with William Clark of Lyons, and was admitted to the bar in 1862, and subsequently admitted to the United States District Court as attorney and counsellor thereof. At the age of thirty seven he married Sarah, daughter of George S. ZEILLEY, of Fort Plain. Subject is and always has been a Republican, and was appointed postmaster at Lyons, N. Y., in August, 1869, holding the office to February, 1879, also takes an active interest in educational and religious matters. He is identified in advancing the best interests of his town, and is of conservative character and recognized worth.
VANALSTINE, H. C., is the son of John J., who was a very prominent man in this vicinity, holding for a period of thirty-five years the position of justice of the peace. He died in 1891, leaving a family of seven children, of whom only Henry and Jesse are now in Wayne county. Henry was well-known as a builder for twenty-five years, and more recently as the proprietor of the Red Creek Hotel, purchased and converted from the Hotel Wood in 1883. Mrs. Vanalstine was before her marriage Cordelia BOGERT, a daughter of Samuel MASON, of Manchester, Ontario county, N. Y., and has one daughter, Mary C. Bogert, now the wife of George CAIRNS, of Colorado Springs. Cordelia BOGERT was widowed May 19, 1874, and five years later became the wife of Henry Vanalstine. Their hotel is headquarters for traveling men in Red Creek, and is justly renowned for the excellence of its cuisine, which is under the personal supervision of Mrs. Vanalstine.
VAN DER VEER, H. E.- The subject of this sketch is of Holland descent and traces the genealogy of his family for seven generations to Cornelius Jan Van Der Veer, who emigrated in the ship Otter in the spring of 1659 from the province of Alkmeer, Holland, and settled in Flatbush, Kings county, N. Y., and was the ancestor of the Van Der Veer family of
New Jersey and Long Island. The grandfather of our subject was Garrett Van Der Veer, a native of New Jersey, born in 1765, who married Rachael COVENHOVEN, a native of Monmouth county, N. J., on whose father's farm the battle of Monmouth, of Revolutionary fame, was fought, when she, with others of the family, offered their help by furnishing water, and other offers
of kindness during the battle and after it was over. Garrett Van Der Veer, the father, was born in Montgomery county, May 9, 1813, married Mary ALLEN, who was born June 4, 1814, removed to Wayne county in 1847, and settled at Marion. She died December 1, 1890. Mr. Van Der Veer has devoted much of his time in later years to the manufacture of machines of his own
invention, for packing evaporated apples. He also kept a temperance hotel at Marion for several years. Henry E. Van Der Veer, the only child, was born in Montgomery county, April 27, 1843, was reared in the village of Marion, where he received his education at the Marion Collegiate Institute. At an early age he commenced business as clerk for R. & J. B. REEVES,
which he followed in that place and Palmyra. He was also clerk during the war in the commissary department at Fort Gibson, Indian Territory, and also traded and acted as clerk for Indian traders in Southern Kansas and Indian Territory. In 1866 he returned to Marion and engaged in the drug business for himself. In 1873 he removed to Ontario, where he has since
conducted a successful business. He is a Democrat, and was appointed postmaster in 1893. He is a member of Wayne Lodge No. 416, F. & A. M., also of Cyrene Tent No. 203, K.O.T.M., in both of which he holds positions of honor. February 22, 1870, he married Annette L., daughter of Jonathan and Clarissa (JENNINGS) PRATT, who were among the first settlers of
the town of Williamson. Mr. Pratt settled in the northwest corner of the town of Williamson in 1811, where he became one of the largest land owners in the town. They reared a large family and the oldest son, Aaron W., was the second male white child born in Williamson. In 1841 he sailed on a whaling ship under Captain ROISE and was on board the ship that first
discovered the northwest whaling grounds. Another son, William W., was a whaler and merchant man for forty years. Of a large family that grew to maturity, none remained no the land for which their ancestors endured the vicissitudes of pioneer life.
WILLOUGHBY, S. E., was born in the city of St. Albans, near London, England, April 18, 1826, came to Clyde from London in 1848, and having learned the painter's trade, established the same business in Clyde, the firm in London keeping the position open for him if he should determine to return to England. For forty years the house has been the leading decorators in Wayne county, and is now carrying a large and fine stock of wall paper and house furnishing goods. At the age of twenty-four, subject married Mapelet, daughter of Jeremiah FINCK. He is one of the oldest merchants in the town, taking an active interest in educational and religious matters.
WELLS, Hon. E. B., was born in Prattsburg, Steuben county, April 22, 1834. His father, Ira Wells, was a manufacturer of fanning mills, and was one of the best known residents of Steuben and Wayne counties. He married Miss Pamelia TAYLOR, daughter of Elijah Taylor, and they were the parents of seven children, who lived to mature age. Mr. Ira Wells died in 1882 at the age of eighty-seven. E. B. Wells, after leaving school, learned the marble cutter's trade, and in 1855 went into business in Cherry Valley, N. Y. He afterward sold out his business there, went to Fort Plain, N.Y., and in 1860 came to Clyde and established his present business as dealer in granite and marble cemetery work. He handles both imported and domestic stock and has acquired a well-deserved reputation for fine work. At the age of thirty-two he married Miss Alice C. GREGORY, daughter of Aaron Gregory, formerly of Mexico, Oswego county, N. Y. Mr. Wells has been very prominent in public affairs, having been postmaster for two terms, supervisor for three years, and member of assembly two terms, 1872-1873.
WILLIAMS, Samuel, is a citizen of more than ordinary ability and prominence. He was born July 10, 1833, at Copake, Columbia county, and his parents were Thomas and Polly WILLIAMS, both deceased. He lived at his birthplace until twenty-three years of age, received a good common school education, and after engaging in the grocery business at South Butler for several
years, located in 1861 on a farm of 200 acres, five miles northwest of Savannah, and upon which he has erected an elegant residence. February 23, 1859, he married Henrietta, daughter of John and Polly GORHAM, of South Butler, N. Y., and they had these children: Anna, born December 12, 1859, and wife of Millard MILLER of South Butler; John G., born February 20, 1862, now operating the homestead farm. He married, August 20, 1893, Minnie SHOECRAFT of Butler; George R., born August 19, 1864, now engaged in hardware business at Butler; Mary E., born April 16, 1867; and Hattie, born February 6, 1874, died June 19, 1884.
WHITMAN, Irving A., was born in Lyons July 20, 1865. His father, William, also of Lyons, with H. S. MOOR, now deceased, established a drug business in 1863, and was one of the prominent business men of his town. Irvin A. was educated in the Lyons Union School. Taking up the study of stenography and typewriting, he served under Hon. George W. COWLES when surrogate, and afterwards entered
the law office of Camp & Dunwell, and was private secretary to Hon. J. H. Camp for four years. While there he made the study of pension and war claims a specialty, and the first claim prosecuted was granted by the Bureau of Pensions, and which commenced payment July 20, 1865, the day, month and year of his birth. He has achieved a success that is recognized throughout the United States, practicing in the bureau of pensions, the patent department and the treasury department. He also has been notary public for the past six years. In 1884 he invented an automatic freight car coupling device, which was patented July 21, 1885, and was submitted to a severe test by the Master Car Builders Association in September, 1885, at Buffalo, which was successful in meeting all
requirements. In June, 1886, it was tested before the railroad commissioners at Albany and was again successful. At the age of twenty-three he married Mary Ellen, daughter of Garrett FLAVAHAN, of Lyons, and they have three sons: Stewart C., Irvin V., and Burnard C.
WOOD, Charles, was born in Butler, June 25, 1838. His father, Horatio N. Wood, a native of Orange county, came to Wayne county in 1821 and died in 1861, aged fifty-eight years. He was a prominent farmer in his town, which he represented several years on the Board of Supervisors. Charles was educated in the common schools, and finished at Red Creek Academy and Falley Seminary at Fulton, N. Y., afterwards coming to Savannah, where he established his present business of lumber, coal and grain, potatoes, apples, etc., of which he handles large quantities. He is a Democrat, and was elected supervisor from 1872 to 1875. At the age of twenty-eight he married Louise C. BELL, daughter of Charles Bell, of Jordan, Onondaga county, by whom he has three children: Charles H., of Syracuse; Helen Mabel, a graduate of Syracuse University, and at present a teacher in Wyoming Seminary, Kingston, Pa.,; and Marielle Ruth, a student at the same institution.
WHITLOCK, Levi J., was born in Lyons December 3, 1855. His father, Benjamin, was also a native of Lyons. The family came from Orange county in 1814, and bought the Peter Van Etten property. Benjamin married at the age of twenty-one, Jane, daughter of Philip SWARTWOUT of Orange county. Levi J. was educated at the Lyons Union School, after which he returned to his father's farm. At the age of twenty he married
Grace, daughter of Cornelius CUDDEBACK, of Phelps, and they are the parents of four children, Cornelius A., Neva C., Hope and Grace. Our subject is now occupying the old Whitlock homestead, which has been in the family eighty years, raising hay, grain and stock and making a specialty of pure Jersey butter, and was one of the first to introduce the custom of dehorning cattle (in Wayne county). The subject is an active energetic man, identified in advancing the best interests of the town.
WILLITS, E. D., born in Ontario, August 11, 1843, is a son of Jonathan and Hannah (KNOWLES) Willits, he is a native of Farmington, Ontario county, and she of Albany county, N. Y. The grandparents came from New Jersey to New York and settled in Ontario county, where the grandfather died. The grandmother then came and lived with her son, Jonathan, in Ontario. Jonathan came to Ontario when a young man and purchased a farm, part of which subject now owns. Mr. Willits resided on this farm over fifty years. He was a Republican in politics, and in religion was a Friend. He died in 1880, and his wife, 1878. E. D. was reared on the farm and educated at the common and select schools. He has for twenty-six years followed teaching winters and working his farm summers. He is engaged in fruit growing, having a general variety of fruits. His wife is Sarah (ALLEN) Willits, whom he
married February 18, 1869. She was a daughter of Freeman and Betsey ALLEN, of Ontario. In politics Mr. Willits is a Republican, has been justice sixteen years, justice of sessions sixteen years, and is now notary public. At present he is supervisor of Ontario. He is a member of the G. A. R., M. M. Fish Post, No. 406. In religion Mr. Willits is a liberal Christian.
WOODHAMS, R. A., was a native of England, born December 11, 1835, and came with his parents to America in 1850, and settled in Ontario, Wayne county, near Furnaceville. When they came to America the family consisted of Mr. Walter Woodhams, his wife Francis (WALTERS) Woodhams, and three sons and four daughters. They removed from Furnaceville to the Ridge on the farm now owned by Mr. Howk, where they resided till his death, December 27, 1878. His first wife died in June, 1873, and he married in 1875, Hannah HUTSON, who now resides with our subject. He and wife were Wesleyan Methodists, and a son, roland, is a presiding elder of the Methodist Episcopal church, and resides at Bay City, Mich. Walter Woodhams was a member of the 8th New York Cavalry, and was killed near Harper's Ferry in 1864. Subject commenced as a farm hand when about fifteen years of age, and has been very
successful. He now owns three hundred acres in Ontario where he lives retired. He married in 1862 Dorcas C. Sabin, born April 13, 1837. She is a daughter of H. M. SABIN, a native of Connecticut, who came with his parents Samuel and Elizabeth (GLEASON) Sabin, settled in Macedon and then in Ontario, where he died December 19, 1832, and his wife in 1846. Mr. and Mrs. Woodhams have no children, but reared an adopted son and daughter, George and
Lizzie, who is the wife of C. E. POUND. Mr. Woodhams in early life was engaged in teaching. Her mother was Mary Ann, daughter of Isaac HODGES, one of the pioneers of Ontario. In politics Mr. Woodhams is a Republican, and is a member of the South Shore Grange, No. 513.
WINSPEAR, Charles W., was born in Elma, Erie county, July 6, 1856, was educated in the public schools and reared on a farm. January 1, 1877, he was appointed clerk in the Erie County Alms House and Insane Asylum, and at the expiration of a year was promoted to the position of deputy keeper, which office he held sixteen years, during ten of which he was a special agent for the State Board of Charities. In 1893 he resigned these positions to accept the superintendency of the New York State Custodial Asylum for Feeble Minded Women, at Newark. In politics he is a Democrat, and is a member of Washington Lodge, No. 240, of Buffalo, F. and A. M., and is also a member of the Acacia Club (Masonic), and the Audubon Shooting Club, of Buffalo. His wife, Gertrude E., is a native of Lancaster, Erie county, where she had a large experience teaching. She has the distinction of having passed with the highest percentage over all contestants in the examination in the higher grammar grades in the public schools of Buffalo.
WEED, Luther, born in Galen, on the homestead, in 1835, son of Selleck Weed, a native of Connecticut, whose father was Abram, a lumber manufacturer in Washington county, who was accidentally killed in his mill by a cake of ice falling on him. Selleck came to Galena in 1812, and married Temperance Owens. Their children were: Lucinda, Selleck, Lydia, Ann, Rhoda, Harry, Benjamin, Lewis and Luther. In 1853 our subject purchased a farm in Oneida county, and two years later returned to Galen, where he conducted the homestead farm until 1865, when he came to Huron, where he has since resided. In 1853 he married Catharine, daughter of John and Catharine WITBECK, born in Columbia county, in 1835. Their children are: Charles R., Ella (deceased), Stella, wife of Mortimer COX, of Wolcott; and Cora, wife of Charles H. WOODRUFF, of Huron. Mr. and Mrs. Weed have two grandchildren, Bertha E. Weed and Harry
(WEED) WOODRUFF. Subject is a member of the Masonic Fraternity, and has served as commissioner of highways, and he and his wife are members of the Huron Grange, which was organized in their house in 1873.
WHEELER, Justus J., was born upon the site of his present home, October 24, 1834. He is one of a family of five children, of whom only himself and one sister now survive. His mother, Clara, died in 1857, and his father, Willard, two years later. Justus, until about forty years of age, was a carpenter and joiner, but has for twenty-one years devoted himself to the culture of the old homestead purchased in 1872. July 11, 1864, he married Alice, daughter of Elisha and Icy WOODRUFF, of Frankfort, Herkimer county, N. Y. Alice was born March 4, 1848. They have two children, Jennie, born September 21, 1865, and Claude J., born May 30, 1872. Jennie was engaged for several years in teaching school, until July 2, 1893, when she married Andy W. WHITBECK, of Savannah, N. Y. Claude, also a school teacher, is now at home engaged in farming and the evaporation of fruits. Having developed considerable mechanical genius, in 1893, he secured a patent upon a fruit bleacher of his own invention and construction, which has proved to be of peculiar merit.
WADSWORTH, Philip, whose birthplace is still his domicile, is the son of Danford and Eliza A. Wadsworth, who took up residence in Butler, in those days when "Amid the forest solitude his echoing axe the settler swings," and none bore a stouter heart than the pioneer from Vermont, hewing out a home from the provincial wilderness. Danford Wadsworth died June 19, 1861, when but fifty-one years of age, and Philip is his only son. November 4, 1863, Philip married Mary T. RICE, of Butler, and their children are: Velona J., the wife of Lincoln DOTY; Henry D., Harvey R., Lemuel G., and one daughter, Sarah M., who [died] October 19, 1887, aged twenty-two years.
WILLARD, William G., was born in Ontario, December 23, 1855, the eldest son of nine children of George and Adelaide (GIBBS) Willard. George Willard, son of William and Sarah Willard, was born in the parish of Salehurst, Sussex county, England, September 4, 1829, and emigrated to the United States of America March 13, 1849. Adelaide Gibbs, daughter of Joseph and Amy GIBBS, born in Whichford, Warwickshire, England, July 6, 1831, and emigrated to the United States April 3, 1850. In 1852 they were united in marriage and came to Ontario, and in 1856 settled on the farm where Mrs. Willard now resides. George Willard died December 16, 1890. The children of Mr. Willard and wife were as follows: Harriet A., born October 13, 1853; William G., born December 23, 1855; Frank E., born September 26, 1857; Avise M., born August 28, 1860; Lorenzo P., born November 26, 1862; Annie E., born May 31, 1867; Peter J., born May 21, 1869; May S., born June 11, 1871; Carrie A., born December 17, 1876. Harriet died September 21, 1854. They are all married except Carrie and May W. Our subject was educated in Chili Seminary. He followed farming until 1883 when he came to Lakeside and engaged in the mercantile business where he has been very successful. He carried a full line of boots and shoes, hardware, crockery, paints, oils, dye stuffs, glass, drugs, medicines and fancy
goods, also hats and caps. He married, March 29, 1883, Emma A. RAY, a native of Canada, and daughter of John and Mary (FOWLER) Ray. He and family attend and support the M. E. Church of Lakeside.
WILLIAMS, Henry, a native of Manchester, Ontario county, N. Y., born December 25, 1830, was the youngest of two sons of John Williams and Nancy Williams, he a native of New Jersey, and she of New Jersey. Henry learned the blacksmith trade when a young man, but farming has been his chief occupation. He married Jane, daughter of James and Honor BARKER, he a native of England, and she of England. Mr. Barker came to America in 1829. He bought the farm now owned by the Williams family, when it was a wilderness, and cleared it and made many improvements. Mr. and Mrs. Williams have had four sons and four daughters, of whom one son and two daughters are deceased: Honor, wife of Rufus SCHERMERHORN, of Ontario; Cora, wife of James V. ALLEN, Rochester; Roy, at home; B. H. and Wallace, are now carrying on the farm, engaged in general farming and fruit raising, also evaporating fruit. Wallace married, January 18, 1888, Eliza Bean, daughter of Albert and Emma Jane (HURLEY) BEAN, of Ontario, and they have one daughter, Susie, born March 30, 1893. Mr. Williams commenced farming in Ontario about 1858 on the Barker farm, then bought a small place, where he lived seventeen years. On the death of Mr. Barker he bought the farm where he resided until his death, December 20, 1890. Mrs. Williams still resides on the homestead, aged fifty-nine years. Her father, James Barker, died 1864, and her mother 1876. The family are of very strong temperance sentiments, and in religion are Methodists.
WILDER, F. S., was born in Russell, St. Lawrence county, N. Y., June 19, 1850, the son of Brutus and Lucy TOWNSEND Wilder, he born in Orwell, Oswego county, October 13, 1828, and she in Philadelphia. Mr. Wilder came to Philadelphia in 1844, and engaged as a clerk in a drug store until 1849, when he came to Russell and began farming. He came to Williamson in 1865, and engaged in farming, and now owns a small farm. He was assessor in Russell for five years. Our subject was reared on a farm, and educated in Marion Academy. He learned the tinsmith trade, and bought out a tin shop in Marion, then went to Newark, and was in partnership there with his brother, John P., in the hardware business. In 1879 Mr. Wilder came to Williamson and engaged in the hardware business, and has been very successful. Mr. Wilder has been town clerk since 1887. He is a member of the Pultneyville Lodge, No.159, F. & A.M., the K.O.T.M., and the Protective Life Association of Rochester. In 1879 he married Eliza HOWELL, a native of Marion, and daughter of Israel Howell, and they have had two children, Lula M., Elmer B.
WALDURFF, Peter, was born in Taghkanick, Columbia county, N. Y., February 5, 1810. His father, John Waldurff, was one of the first settlers in Rhinebeck, Dutchess county, and the family was of German extraction. Peter Waldurff was educated in the common schools, and at the age of twenty-five he married Hannah, daughter of Andrew NICHOLS, and of this union ten children were born, eight of whom are now living, five sons, Martin V.B., who owns a farm adjoining his father's, Reuben, who owns a farm in Wolcott, Stanton E., who owns a farm in Rose, Eugene C., who is a physician of Buffalo, N. Y., and Frank L., who lives on the homestead farm, and three daughters, Hannah, who married Harrison MALLEY, of Homer, N. Y., Nettie, who married Rev. R. E. Burton, of Syracuse, N. Y., and Helen, who married John M. MACKIE, of Galen, N. Y. In 1848 he bought the William GARLIC property of 144 acres, and in 1855 he bought the adjoining farm, known as the "Riverdale farm." He has 217 acres of some of the best farm lands in Wayne county, raising fruit, hay, grain and stock. In 1883 his wife died, since which time he has been living with his youngest son, Frank L.
WEED, Hon. Oscar, was born in Galen in 1822, a son of Henry, a native of Washington county, born in 1797, who was the son of Abram Weed, a native of Canaan, Conn., and an early settler in Washington county, where he engaged in the lumber business. He was killed in his saw-mill by a cake of ice falling on him. His wife was Sarah SELLECK, and their children were: Selleck, Abram, Henry, Hester, Sallie, Hannah, Betsey, and Nancy. Henry, father of our subject, moved to Wayne county in 1813, with his mother and sisters. His older brother, Selleck, had moved to Wayne county the previous year. He was a Republican and served as assessor and commissioner. He married Mahala KING, of Galen, and their children were: Samuel, who was a prominent physician in Clyde, Oscar, Abram, William, and Sarah Ann, wife of Oliver STRATTON, of Galen. Mr. Weed died ini 1862, and his wife in 1881. Our subject was educated at Clyde High School, and remained on the farm, teaching school winters for about nine years. In 1848 he married Rebecca, daughter of Joseph C., and Ruth WATSON, of Galen, and they had these children: Watson, Oscar D., Mary E. a teacher in Drew Ladies' Seminary, Carmel, N. Y., Gahardus and Ruth (both deceased). Mr. Weed moved in 1850 to Huron, and purchased the farm of 300 acres, where he has since resided, engaged in farming and fruit growing. In the latter he enjoys the reputation of being the most extensive and successful in the town, the proceeds for the year 1893 being about $6,500. He has served as assessor and supervisor several terms, and in 1881-82 was elected by the Republicans to the Assembly. Has also been delegate to many county and State conventions. His living children are all graduates of Cornell University. Mr. and Mrs. Weed are members of the Clyde Grange. His son, Watson, is a Unitarian minister in Scituate, Mass. Addison is in New Hartford, engaged in gardening, fruit growing and civil engineering. Oscar D., practising law in New York city.
WOOD, Anson Sprague, was born in Camillus, Onondaga county, October 2, 1834. His father, Alvin, was of English ancestry, and his mother, Fanny Woodworth, of New England descent. Early in the forties Alvin Wood removed with his family to Butler, Wayne county, where he continued to reside until his death in 1874. Anson S. was the youngest of a large
family of children, three others of whom are still living and residents of Wayne county: Mary, wife of William FOWLER; Frances, wife of Christopher C. CAYWOOD, of Butler; and Benham S. Wood, of Wolcott. Anson S. Wood was educated in the district schools, and also attended the Red Creek Union Seminary. In 1853 he began the study of law in Syracuse, which he continued in Clyde in the office of C. D. LAWTON, and afterwards of Judge L. S. KETCHUM. In the winter of 1854 he engaged in teaching. In the fall of 1855 he attended the Albany Law School, and was admitted to the bar in December of that year. During the early part of 1856 he resided at South Butler, and was elected town supervisor of common
schools. In July, 1856, he removed to Lyons, where he formed a copartnership with Hon. William Clark. He continued to practice law in company with Mr. Clark and Hon. Dewitt Parshall until September, 1862, in the meantime (1858-1859) serving two years as town clerk of the town on Lyons. In the fall of 1862 he responded to the call for volunteers to defend the Union, and was commissioned as first lieutenant in the 138th N.Y. Volunteer Infantry, afterwards known as the 9th N. Y. Heavy Artillery. After the regiment reached Washington Lieutenant Wood was assigned to duty as adjutant. In June, 1863, he was promoted to a captaincy and detailed to duty at the draft rendezvous at Elmira, N. Y., and was for some time
assistant adjutant-general at that post. In May, 1864, at his own request, he was returned to his regiment and to the command of his company. He was engaged in the battles of Cold Harbor, Petersburg, Monocacy, Winchester, and Fisher's Hill. In October, 1864, he was placed on the staff of General J. B. Ricketts, who commanded the third division of the famous Sixth Corps. General Ricketts was severely wounded at the battle of Cold Harbor, and was succeeded in command by Gen. Truman Seymour, with whom Captain Wood continued as judge advocate of the division. In February, 1865, he was promoted to major of his regiment, and as such participated in the taking of Petersburg and the capture of Lee's army. For meritorious
service before Petersburg he was brevetted lieutenant-colonel. The regiment was mustered out in May, 1865, when Colonel Wood returned to Wayne county, purchasing a farm in Butler. In 1866 he was elected supervisor of that town. In 1867 he became assistant assessor of the United States Internal Revenue, a position which he resigned in the fall of 1869 to accept
the Republican nomination for member of assembly from the first district of Wayne county. In the meantime he had removed to Wolcott and resumed the practice of law. Colonel Wood was elected to Assembly that fall, and re-elected the following year. January 1, 1872, he was appointed deputy secretary of state under G. Hilton Scribner, holding the office two years,
when he again returned to his home at Wolcott and his law practice. In 1879 Gen. Joseph B. Carr was elected secretary of state, and he called Colonel Wood back to Albany to his former desk as deputy secretary, where he continued six years. In 1883 he was one of the secretaries of the Republican State Committee. In 1885 Colonel Wood was the unanimous nominee of
the Republican State Convention for secretary of state, but was defeated with the rest of the Republican ticket. He remained in Albany for over a year engaged in the practice of law, when he again returned to Wayne county, taking up his residence at Wood's Island, Port Bay, in the town of Huron, and resuming his law practice at Wolcott, which he has continued
since. At present he is associated with Hon. George S. Horton. Colonel Wood, in addition to the other public positions, has filled the office of president of the village of Wolcott, trustee of the Wolcott Union Free School, justice of the peace, and supervisor of the town of Huron. He was the moving spirit in the organization of the William Dutton Post No. 55, G. A. R., at Wolcott (subsequently changed to Keesler Post No. 55), of which he has been commander several terms. He has also served as assistant quartermaster-general of the G. A. R., department of New York, and has been a member for many years of Wolcott Lodge No. 560, F. & A.M. Colonel Wood has been repeatedly a delegate to Republican State Conventions,
and his services as a speaker have long been in great demand in political campaigns. He has spoken in every county in this State, and has been called upon by the National and State Committees to make speaking tours of Maine, Massachusetts, Vermont, Indiana, Michigan, Minnesota, Wisconsin and Iowa. In 1858 Colonel Wood married Martha Louise VICKEY, of Youngstown,
Niagara county. Mr. and Mrs. Wood have two children living William Clark Wood, M.D., and Robert Alvin. Dr. Wood is a graduate of the Albany Medical College (1880), and is a successful practitioner at Gloversville, N. Y. Robert A. is a graduate of Union College (1881), a lawyer and newspaper contributor, and resides at Albany.
IMPORTANT: The site coordinators and site volunteers have no information about persons, events, or
locations, mentioned in these personal sketches. We thank you in advance for not emailing us, but directing ALL requests for information to the Office of the County Historian.
Back to Cowles' Family Sketch Index
Back to Family Bios Page
Copyright © 2005 - 2009 M. Magill
Wayne County NYGenWeb
A County Site of the USGenWeb Project
All Rights Reserved.