Previous to 1826 the town of Wolcott embraced the four northeastern towns of Wayne County. All town and public meetings were held at Wolcott, then a promising village, to the great inconvenience of those living in the most remote parts of the town. Especially in the southwest, where the most rapid settlement were made, it was seriously felt; consequently in that year they petitioned the legislature to be set off as a separate town organization. The petition was granted on February 5, 1826, and twenty days later two other towns were set off, thus creating four towns from the territory of one. Rose adjoins the "Military tract" on the north, extending to the northwest corner, about six and one-half miles east by five and one-quarter miles north and south, and containing an area of twenty-one thousand eight hundred and forty-nine and two-thirds acres. It is situated mostly in the "Williamson Tract," excepting a strip three-fourths of a mile wide, extending across the town on the south side, which is known as the "Annin's Gore," and which extends two miles east into Butler. The Gore was surveyed into farm lots of eighty acres each. The Williamson patent was divided into lots varying in size from twenty-five to one and two hundred acres each. A tract of four thousand acres, extending from the Gore to within three-fourths of a mile of the north line of the town, and on both sides of the Rose Valley road, was purchased from the original proprietors by Robert S. Rose and Judge Nicholas, from Virginia, but then residents of Geneva, by which it came to be known as the "Nicholas four-thousand-acre tract." When the name of the town was under consideration in 1826, it was suggested that it be named in honor of Robert S. Rose, with the expressed belief that be would make it a present in land or something equally acceptable, - nor were they mistaken. When officially informed of the decision, he sent them a little merino ram, about the size of a woodchuck. A heavy growth of timber originally covered the entire surface with a dense undergrowth in many places. This rendered the work of clearing up and improving farms difficult in the extreme. Fever and ague, which was incessant and unusually severe in this part of the country, added to the inevitable privations of the pioneer life, was a terrible burden on the courage and energy of the early settlers. While that tenacious disease was constantly sapping their strength, the preservation of life demanded its full exercise. The large wealth of to-day, attested by the beautiful farms and houses, was dug from the soil by sweat and labor, as all the early settlers were poor, and brought no money in the country. The surface is undulating, or generally level, with considerable hills of drift-sand in the southeast. In the south, southwest, and northwest are large marshes, or were originally, most of which have been redeemed to cultivation by judicious ditching. The soil is gravelly loam mixed with considerable clay in the south and west, and muck in the lowlands. In many places good clay is found for brick and tile, which are manufactured-the latter quite extensively for draining purposes. Limestone underlies the soil, and in many places approaches the surface, where it has been quarried quite extensively for lime and building purpose.
An extensive quarry exists in the north part of the town, which supplies excellent lime and building stone. The stone in the old lock on the Erie Canal at Clyde, which was constructed in 1823, was obtained from this quarry, and hauled there by teams. The highest elevation in the town is one hundred and forty feet above Lake Ontario. The streams are small. The largest and only important stream rises in the lowlands, southeast of Rose Valley, and flows through the village in a northwesterly direction through Huron into Great Sodus bay. It is known as Thomas creek, and at an early day supplied water-power for several saw-and grist-mills strung along its banks. The old Sodus bay and Clyde river canal, begun in 1841, by General Wm. H. Adams, struck this stream near Rose Valley, and followed down to a point within a mile of Glenmark, where it diverged to the west.
All the mills between these points were demolished and never after rebuilt. In 1847 and '48, after the renewal of the charter, a large amount of work was done on this stream, and both above and below, by digging, followed by washing. Though finally abandoned, the effects remain to attest the energy and enterprise of its projectors. The next important stream, the old Dusenbury creek, or better known as Mudge creek, rises from the same lowlands and flows north through Huron into East bay. Marsh creek rises near the same place and flows south, passing through the corner of Butler into Galen. Black creek rises near Wayne Centre in the west, and flows south into Galen. Other small tributaries to these stream' rise in various parts of the town. The survey of the proposed railroad between Sodus bay and Clyde, made many years ago, passed through the town by way of Rose Valley. In 1873 the Lake Ontario branch of the Rome, Oswego and Watertown Railroad was completed through the north part of the town, and the station of North Rose established at its intersection with the Rose Valley and Glasgow highway. About thirty-five or forty years ago a number of people in this part of the county worked themselves into the delusion that "money-chests" of gold and precious stones lay buried beneath the surface in this town, to which they were guided by invisible spirits through a "medium." On several farms northeast of Rose Valley they assembled at night and silently dug for the treasure. A single word spoken before it was found was fatal; the treasure would disappear, and the evil spirits would rise against them. In this way the delusion was fed and kept ablaze by those interested, who were always sure to break the silence, when the deluded would run frightened away. On one occasion a kettle was previously buried, and when struck with a spade an exclamation caused the treasure in it to vanish. To these ignorant men this supplied the most absolute proof, and the effects of this foolish delusion are still visible in many places by partially filled excavations, where they labored with a zeal and energy worthy a better cause. There is probably no locality in the world that has not had its superstition, which the glare of science and education only partially dispels.
The interpreter of the "money-diggers," as they were called, pretended to see the "money-chests," or hidden treasure, through a large, peculiar stone, which he always retained with him. He held it to his eyes, and claimed the power to see through it into the earth. Several visionary citizens of this town, with more strangers who came here regularly, united in their mystic meetings previous to all their diggings. As an inducement to persons predisposed to the marvelous, it was related that the son of a certain minister, then living in town, who was eighteen years of age and of good habits, saw, one evening, in his father's granary, which was lighted up by supernatural light, an image in the form of a "little child." Then again it appeared in his bed-chamber, and, when addressed by the young man, replied that it was from the " Court of Glory," and had come to reveal to him the hidden treasures of the earth, and that if he would pray for the span of seven days it would appear the next time in the form of a "beautiful young lady." In due time the "beautiful young lady" appeared and made the promised revelation, the circle was formed, one of the number was made captain, and the digging commenced. Night after night was passed in hard labor under the particular direction of this invisible spirit. Circles were carefully marked out around the pit to keep the devil out. The money, or a portion of it, was to be used for charitable purposes, and to alleviate the sufferings of humanity. But after many fruitless attempts and much disappointment the captain, becoming incredulous, and losing confidence in the invisible guide, through the interpreter, denounced the "beautiful spirit" as being the devil. Of course this rebellious action could not be tolerated, and must be put down. Accordingly, the captain was notified in writing to appear on a certain day to a trial before the spirits and the circle. On the back of the notice he wrote "protested," but named a day one week later, when the circle convened and the trial began. Innumerable spirits were seen by the minister and his son, and from ten A.M. to four P.M. the patriarchs of old were called as witnesses, and everything was going against the captain. The last witness was the spirit of Samuel, the prophet. The captain with all his power conjured Samuel to tell the truth and reveal the devil's work. He was just ready to give up his case when, to his astonishment, and the dismay of the circle, the prophet began performing under his own control. The preacher and his son burst into tears to see poor old Samuel hopping about the room on one foot, then down on the floor, playing bear, with a great load on his back. The captain, having absolute control of the spirit, conjured him to faithfully answer such questions as he should put to him. " Can you at pleasure transform yourself into a 'devil,' 'lamb,' or 'young lady?' " Answer, "I can." "Have you been the only witness here to-day in the form of all the old patriarchs?" Answer, "I have." Are you the devil himself?" Answer, "I am." The captain was triumphant.
The deluded parson, son, and all the circle were ready to give up that it was all the work of the devil. Yet to such an extent did the captain believe in the power of the devil that he related, as a real occurrence, that a friend of his, while riding, was seized and taken up by the devil, carried through the air seven miles, and, after a terrible struggle and fright, was released and dropped in a barn-yard. The captain was sent for, who, with the aid of a physician, restored him. It is stated that many a time while the others were in the pit digging for their " gold" and "money-chests" the devil would appear to the sentry on the watch in the form of a bellowing bull, or by heavy sounds of groaning, or shrieks, which would put the whole party to flight.
The first settlement made in this town was by Caleb Melvin, a brother of Jonathan Melvin, Jr., who built the first house in Clyde. He settled about one mile south of Rose Valley village, on the direct road, in 1805. In the same year and probably at the same time his father, Jonathan Melvin, Sr., left Phelps, Ontario county, with an ox-team and sled, carrying an axe on his shoulder, with which he cut his road through Galen and Rose to where Wolcott village is located, at which place he settled and erected mills. He was celebrated for his eccentricities, as shown in painting his dwelling-house perfectly black from roof to basement, from which it became known far and wide as the black house. The trail he Cut through the forest, and another diverging from it to the north, were followed by subsequent settlers, who took up farms along their lines, until they were finally cut out and improved into the permanent roads now traveled from Clyde to Rose Valley, and thence to Wolcott and Glasgow. In the same year Alpheus Harman and Lot Stewart purchased and settled in the town the latter in the northeast, at what has since been called Stewart's Corners. Succeeding these were Joel Bishop and his three sons, Joel Jr., Seth, and Chauncey, who settled nearly two miles north on the Glasgow road, where Chauncey is still living, followed soon after by Oliver Whitmore adjoining him' on the south, and Seth Whitmore and Simeon Van Auken in the same vicinity. Milburn Salisbury and James and Jeremiah Leland settled near Caleb Melvin, and Harvey, Asahel, and Hosea Gillett in other parts or the town. But few settlements were made prior to 1810 or 1811, after which they became more rapid. At that time two brothers, Thaddeus Jr. and Alpheus Collins, and two years later their father, Thaddeus Collins, Sr., moved with his family from Phelps, and purchased four hundred acres north of and including a portion of the village. Of his other three sons, Moses F., Stephen, and Chauncey B., the last named is now living in Clyde, to whom we are indebted for many historical facts.
In 1811, Captain John Sherman, with his three sons, Elias D., Charles B., and John Jr., came in from Galen, and settled at the valley, where he built and opened a tavern. He had originally settled up Mud creek. Near this time, or little before, Elijah Howe settled about two miles northwest of the village, which was probably the first settlement back from the main roads. In 1812 Aaron Shepard settled in the east part of tire town, about two miles from the valley, and soon after Alfred Lee with his three brothers, Lyman, Joel, and John, a little west of the village. The first settlement made in the west part of the town was about 1815, when Robert Jeffers, with his two sons, William and John, and Nathan Jeffers, purchased about two miles west of the valley, towards Wayne Centre. It was long known as the Jeffers settlement. Jacob Clapper purchased in the same vicinity. The Crafts, Pomeroys, rind Bannisters were very early settlers, most of whom subsequently moved away. Palmer Lovejoy, with his three sons, Silas, William C., and Daniel, located in the northeast corner of the town, and founded what was long known as the Lovejoy settlement. Among the other prominent.settlers who came in that and succeeding years were Paine Phillips, Benjamin Way and his two sons Samuel and Harley, Simeon I. Barrett, William Phillips, Dorman Munsell, Robert Andrews, Alverson Wade, John Bassett, John Wade, Samuel Southwick, Philander Mitchell, Jonathan Ellenwood and his two sons Chester and Lucius, Isaac Crydenwise, Joseph Seeley and his two sons George and Delos, Dr. Peter Valentine and his son Richard S., John Covey, John Closs and his four sons Harvey, George, Lorenzo, and Caleb H., James Colburn, Elizur Flint, Charles Thomas, from Pompey, New York, and his three sons Eron N., Nathan W., and Lorenzo C., Amos Covey, Orin Lackey, Solomon Mirrick and his four sons Ira, Hiram, George, arrd Thomas, William Watkins, Robert Mason and son Harvey, Solomon Allen, Dudley Wade, William Chadock and his three sons William Jr., Alonzo, and Winfred, Gideon Henderson, Edward and Peter Aldrich, John Barnes, David Smith, Mr. Burnham, Samuel Hunn, Charles Richards, Jacob Miller, Uriah Wade, Mr. Chatterson, and John Skidmore. Philander Mitchell was one of the most prominent men of the town. He was justice of the peace over thirty years, and, with Dorman Munsell, Elizur Flint, and Charles Richards, were the first four justices elected in 1827. The Lovejoys and Aldrichs are reported as large, stout men and good choppers, and Elias D. Sherman as remarkable for clearing up land. One Lincoln, who had a hoarse voice, and owned a low, wet farm, claimed that he was often insulted by the bull-flogs. In passing through the swamp, they would cry out, in heavy voice, "Don't you want to buy here, Lincoln?'' He could not stand it, and sold out and went up to Jerusalem (town). Simeon I. Barrett, Elizur Flint, Chauncey Bishop, Samuel Lyman, Holloway Drury and Silas Lovejoy are still living, the six oldest men of the town. The first house was erected by Caleb Melvin, in 1805. He also built the first frame in 1810 or 1811, near the same place. He cleared the first land, and, with Harman and Stewart, raised the first grain. Orchards were not planted for some years. Thaddeus Collins probably set out as early as any one, in 1813, at the valley. The first recorded birth was a child of Milburn Salisbury, in 1812, and the first death a child of Harvey Gillett, the same year. The first marriage was the union of Hosea Gillett and Hannah Burnham, which occurred in January, 1813. The first blacksmith was Aaron Shepard, who erectced a shop near the east town line, in 1812. The first physician was a Dr. Delano who settled near Mr. Bishop's about 1813 or 1814, but, not being successful, departed within the year. The first established physician was Dr. Peter Valentine who began practice in 1819. Drs. Henry Van Ostrand and Beden practiced later; also Dr. Richard S. Valentine, until he died, in 1856. Sally Bishop taught the first regular school in 1813, in an old vacant log house, about fifteen feet square, one and a half miles north of the village. She was succeeded by Maria Veeley, from Butler. David Smith, a Baptist elder, next taught in the same building, and one winter in a building one mile north of the village. He also taught in a school-house which stood on the site of the upper tavern in the village. Other prominent teachers who followed were Abigail Bunce, Catherine Robinson, William H. Lyon, Gibson S. Center, John S. Roe, George W. Ellenwood George Seelye, George Paddock, Jackson Valentine, Wallace St. John, and John and Isaac Robinson. Select schools have been taught for about forty years
In 1812 Seth Whitmore and Simeon Van Auken erected the first grist-mill, in the north part of the town, at Glenmark Falls, on Thomas creek, and the year after built a saw-mill adjoining. These falls are twenty-five feet in height, which gives a head of water thirty feet high. These mills were afterwards rebuilt by Ira and Hiram Mirrick, and have been owned by J. Brown, William Chadock, and Henry Garlick. The first saw-mill, however, was erected in 1811, by Elijah Howe, on the same stream, more than a mile above. Samuel Hunn subsequently erected a saw-mill below Howe's, and Alfred Lee a fourth, near the village. Other saw-mills were erected soon after by Simeon I. Barrett, Uriah Wade, and Hunn & Chatterson. All these mills were located on Thomas creek. Several of them were demolished in constructing the old Sodus bay canal, which for a distance of nearly three miles widened the creek to thirty feet, and increased its depth ten to twelve feet. It is worthy of remark that, in excavating the canal, drift-wood and bones of large animals were found imbedded ten feet below the surface.
The first steam saw-mill was erected by Willis G. Wade in 1848, and sold to Eron N. Thomas. It was burned in 1873, but, with a foundation rebuilt, is now in operation. It is located in the village. The second steam saw-mill was built in the west part of the town by Isaac Woodruff; but in 1859 it burst its boiler and blew up, killing a sawyer, named Grinnell, and wounding Wm. Andrews by the loss of a limb. The building was demolished and pieces of the boiler thrown fifty rods. The third steam saw-mill was erected by Conrad Young, and subsequently sold to Wm. Barnes. It was located at Wayne's centre. The first steam grist-mill was erected by Wm. A. Mix in 1866, and the second, early in 1873, by Chadock & Garlick. The latter is located in Rose Valley, and now owned and run by Fredendall & Foster. Simeon Van Auken erected clothing-works in 1821 on Thomas creek. He was succeeded by John Van Auken, who put in carding machines. They were purchased by Horace Converse, who kept up the works until about 1850, when they were discontinued. No distilleries were ever erected in this town except a small private concern by Charles Richards, in the valley, about 1818, which was run about one year and died out. About 1826 the first and only tannery was erected by Charles Thomas and William Watkins. The building is still standing, and owned by Robert N. Jeffers as a store-house. About three miles northeast of Rose Valley, and on the direct road to Wolcott, Let Stewart erected the first and only tavern outside the village, a very few years subsequent to Captain Sherman's log tavern, which was kept as a public-house many years. The graveyard in the same vicinity was the first permanently established burying-ground, although in the north part of the village, and directly opposite the old residence of Thaddeus Collins, Esq., many of the early dead were previously buried. On account of its proximity to the village centre this place was afterwards vacated to other purposes, and those buried therein taken up and removed to new grounds one mile farther north. In 1826 Rose was divided into nine school districts, with a combined school population of three hundred and eighty-eight. It is now divided into twelve districts, with as many good school-houses, and an attendance requiring the supervision of thirteen efficient teachers. The present population of the town is about two thousand two hundred and fifty.
is a small village, and the most important place in the town. It is located on the direct Clyde and Wolcott road, at its junction with the old Glasgow road near the centre, and has a population of about five hundred. It contains four churches, eight or nine stores, two hotels, two carriage- and wagon-shops, two steam-mills, and was the first post-office established in town. Peter Valentine, M.D., was the first postmaster, appointed in 1827. The post.office was then called Valentine's. It was shortly after changed to Albion post-office, then to Rose Valley post-office; and in 1834 to Rose post-office. Charles Thomas was the second postmaster, appointed June 17, 1829, and kept the office in his tavern, about twenty rods south of the lower tavern. He was succeeded as postmaster by Nathan W. Thomas, and in 1832 by Eron N. Thomas. The mail was then carried three times a week from Clyde, through Rose, to Huron. Timothy Smith, now living in Clyde, carried the first mail. A daily stage, with the mail, now passes through from Clyde to Wolcott. The village is very pleasantly located, and surrounded with a very rich and productive country. Thomas creek flows through it and the valley, inclining to Great Sodus bay. The village was first settled in 1811, by Captain John Sherman (a bateau captain on the Clyde) and the two Collins brothers, from Phelps. The latter settled near the junction of the two roads, on land purchased two years later by their father, Thaddeus Collins, Sr., and Captain Sherman opposite the lower hotel, where in 1815 he erected a double log house and opened one end as a tavern, retaining the other as a dwelling for his family. This was the first tavern in the town of Rose. He subsequently sold it to Chas. Woodward, from whom it passed to Jacob Miller, who erected a frame building south of the lower hotel, which he opened as a tavern. About 1825, Chas. Thomas purchased it, and kept it several years. From him it passed respectively to N. W. Thomas, John J. Dickson, Ira Mirrick and others. The present lower tavern was built by Lorenzo C. Thomas, and the upper tavern, now Pimm's hotel, was built by Ira Mirrick. The first blacksmith in the place, and the second in the town, was John Barrett, who erected a shop about 1813 on the present site of William Vanderaef's residence. The first school-house was a log building, which stood on the site of Pimm's hotel, and its first school was taught by David Smith. Robert Andrews kept the first shoe-shop, which, report says, no store was opened here until about 1831. At that time John Barber, Jr., put up a small building and commenced the first mercantile business, which lie conducted one year only, and then removed to Clyde, where he continued trade. He was succeeded in Rose Valley by his former clerk, Eron N. Thomas, who continued the business successfully until the year 1859, when, being largely engaged in buying and selling real-estate, farming, manufacturing, building, etc., the selling of goods was abandoned. P. Valentine and C. B. Collins; I. & H. Mirrick, and Charles S. Wright have conducted business here. Dr. P. Valentine settled and commenced the practice of medicine here in 1819. He was the first physician, also the first supervisor of the town. Among other prominent early physicians were Dr. John J. Dickson, who afterwards opened the first drug-store in Clyde, Henry Van Ostrand, and A.F. Sheldon, army surgeons, Geo. D. Wheeden, Jas. M. Horn, Lewis Koon, and Richard S. Valentine. Jackson Valentine, son of the first doctor, a prominent citizen, who has been fourteen times elected supervisor, is now conducting a mercantile business opposite the north hotel. The carriage- and wagon-shop now owned by Wm. H. Thomas and M. T. Collier was first established by Collins & Lackey, many years ago. They subsequently sold it to Wm. H. Thomas, by whom it was successfully conducted until 1861, when it came into possession of the present firm. The second carriage-manufactory was established at a much later date, and is now doing a successful business.
THE ROSE BRASS BAND
was first organized at Rose Valley in 1857, with twelve pieces. Z. Deuler, of Lyons, was first leader and instructor. He was succeeded by E. B. Wells, followed by D. B. Harmon, third leader, and the last before the war. It then went into the service and did duty as a band. After the close of the war it remained disbanded until 1868, when it was reorganized with the same number of pieces and membership, and with Ira T. Soule as leader. Mr. Soule was superseded in 1870 by Andrew J. Dugan as leader, who at present has charge. The present secretary is S. W. Soule, and the present treasurer Wm. F. Hickok. The band as an excellent one, and justly esteemed inferior to none in the county.
In the summer of 1865 the resident members of the order of Freemasons met an a brick building, now used as a wagon-shop by Brownell Wilbur, in the village of Rose Valley, to take into consideration the propriety of organizing a lodge at that place. As a result, a petition for a warrant was sent up, signed by the following persons who became the charter members of the new lodge, viz.: James M. Horne, M.T. Collier, Lucius H..Dudley, John J. Dickson, George Cetchpoll, Seymour Covel, Eugene Hickok, Seymour Woodard, James Covel, Samuel Gardner, and P J. Thomas. They met and worked under dispeusation about one year, when the warrant was issued, bearing date June 22, 1866, calling into life.
Rose Lodge, No. 590. It was received at a meeting held in a room over J. & G Collier's store, when the following officers were installed, viz. James M. Horne, W. M.; M. T. Collier, S. W.; Lucius H. Dudley, J. W.; M. C. Klink, Secretary; Samuel Gardner, Treasurer; P. J. Thomas, S. D.; Charles Covel, J. D.; F. W Gage, Tyler; Hiram Waterbury, S. M. C.; and E. L. Dickson, J. M. C. The present officers, serving in the year 1876, are M. T. Collier, W. M.; George Cetchpoll, S. W. ; A. W. Fowler, J. W.; E. Hickok, Secretary; D. D. Flint, Treasurer; V. Ellenwood, S.D;.; Charles Waldron, J. D.; Joel Lee, S. M. C.; Alfred Lt Faver, J. M. C. ; and George Ellenwood, Tyler. The present trustees are P. J. Thomas, Seymour Covel, and Joel Lee. The lodge has pleasant rooms, especially fitted up for its meetings, and is in a very flourishing condition, with a membership now numbering eighty-three.
so called on account of its proximity to the centre of Wayne County, being but a short distance east, was the second post-office established in the town, about 1858 or '59, with Joel H. Putnam, postmaster. It is a small hamlet in the extreme western part of the town, and has remained unchanged about forty years. It is on no regular mail route.
the third post-office, was established about 1860, at Lamb's Corners, with David Lyman postmaster. It is now a station and post-office on the Lake Ontario branch of the Rome, Watertown and Ogdensburg Railroad, about two and one-half miles north of Rose Valley. Since 1873 its mail has been brought by railroad, the completion of which gave it new impetus, and awakened evidences of future growth. Already preparations are made for permanent business in shipping. Nearly all the intermediate country between it and the lake on the north, and the town of Rose on the south, must seek it as an outlet for their produce, which will certainly make it a place of importance. The Glenmark mills are but a short distance away, and the surrounding country, with its approaches, excellent. Four citizens of Rose have represented this assembly district in the State legislature, viz. Dr. John J. Dickson, 1845 ; Willis C. Wade, 1854; Eron N. Thomas, 1862 ; and Jackson Valentine, 1876. David Smith did the first surveying, in laying out new roads, though the professional surveyor was Lorin Doolittle, of Butler. The Glasgow road was for many years impassable to loaded teams, until its improvement was effected by Andrew McNab, at the time of his efforts to build up a business point at Port Glasgow.
Rose Grange, No. 148, Patriots of Husbandry, was organized at Rose Valley, where it holds its regular meetings. At its last annual election, held December 26,1876, the following officers were elected, viz.: W. M., E. Hickok ; O., E. D. Wade; L., W. M. Osburn ; Secretary, F. H. Valentine; Treasurer, P. B. Flint, Chaplain, W. F. Hickok; Steward, J. Wiekmire; Assistant Steward, Oscar Weed; Lady Assistant Steward, Mrs. A. E. Hickok ; Ceres, Miss Mattie Sheffield; Pomona, Mrs. Nelson Lane; and Flora, Mrs. Oscar Weed. It is the only grange in town, and has a large membership and attendance.
The first town meeting of Rose was held on the first Tuesday in April, 1826, at the house of Charles Thomas, in Rose Valley, with Erasmus Fuller, Esq., presiding. The following officers were elected to perfect the organization of the new town, viz.: Supervisor, Peter Valentine; Town Clerk, David Smith ; Assessors, James Colburn, Jeremiah Leland, and Dorman Munsell ; Collector, Thaddeus Collins, Jr.; Overseers of Poor, John Skidmore and Aaron Shepard; Commissioners of Highways, Elizur Flint, Robert Jeffers, and William Lovejoy; Commissioners of Common Schools, Jacob Miller, James Colburn,, and Milburn Salisbury; Inspectors of Common Schools, Alpheus Collins, Peter Valentine, and David Smith ; Constables, Thaddeus Collins, Jr., and Lewis Leland; and twenty-two overseers of highways. The names of the subsequent supervisors, who have been elected from the date of the organization to the present, and the years in which they served, are as follows: Peter Valentine, 1826 to 1829, both inclusive; Philander Mitchell, 1830 to 1832; Dorman Munsell, 1833 ; Thaddeus Collins, Sr., 1834 ; Ira Mirrick, 1835 ; Peter Valentine, 1836 to 1839 ; Dorman Munsell, 1840 to 1841; Peter Valentine, 1842; Eron N. Thomas, 1843; Philander Mitchell, 1844 to 1845 Elizur Flint, 1846 ; Hiram Mirrick, 1847 ; Philander Mitchell, 1848 to 1850; Eron N. Thomas, 1851; Solomon Allen, 1852; Eron N. Thomas, 1853; Thaddeus Collins Jr., 1854; Jackson Valentine, 1855 Philander Mitchell, 1856; Harvey Closs 1857 to 1858; Jackson Valentine, 1859 to 1869; James M. Horne, 1870 to 1871;Charles S. Wright 1872 to 1873; Jackson Valentine, 1874 to 1875. The town officers last elected in April 1876, and now in office are as follows, viz: Supervisor, Joel S. Sheffield ; Town Clerk, Valorus Ellinwood ; Collector, Joseph S. Wade; Justices of the Peace, Romain C. Barber, George W. Ellinwood, William Obsburn, and Romain H. Cole; Assessors, John M. Vandercock, Harvey Closs, and Oliver Bush; Town Auditors, Lucian H. Osgood, Lorenzo N. Snow, and Mark T. Collier Commissiorers of Highways, Sydney J. Happing, James Osburn, and Thomas J. Bradburn Overseers of the poorr, William H.. Thomas and Frederic Ream; Commissioners of Excise, Charles B. Sherman, and Ephraim B. Wilson, and John L. Finch; Constables, Joseph S. Wade, Henry P. Howard, George Jeffers, John H. Barnes, and Luman Briggs; Game Constable, D. C. Alexander; and Inspectors of Elections, Edson M. Ellinwood, S. W. Gage, and Franklin H. Closs. Three ministers preached occasionally in the school-houses, and whenever a few could be called together, before any church organization was effected. The first was David Smith, a Baptist elder, school teacher, and at times a surveyor and later Rev. A. M. Buttrick, who became the first pastor of the Presbyterian church of Huron, and Rev. Wm. Clark, also a Presbyterian. In the early settlement of the town a vast amount of valuable wood was wantonly destroyed-whitewood, hickory, maple, hemlock, white and black ash, etc., and elm and cedar on the lowlands. In 1827, a survey for a canal, connecting Sodus bay with the Erie canal, was made through the town, in competition with Oswego ; but, through the power of larger wealth, it was located at the latter place. Besides the ordinary cereal crops of late years, hop-raising has been successfully prosecuted with large returns; and great attention has been paid to raising fine horses, cattle, and fine-wool sheep, which has become a leading feature. Apples also are extensively grown, with the area of orchards yearly increased.
Continue to Rose History, Part 2
Return to Everts Index
Volunteer typist: Margaret Sherman Lutzvick
Source of the above article: History of Wayne County, NY, 1789-1877, by Everts, Ensign, & Everts. 1877. Pages 155-159. Press of J. B. Lippencott & Co. Philadelphia, PA. Reproduced 1975. Professor W. H. McIntosh. Dendron Press. Yankee Peddler Bookshop. Pultneyville, NY.