It were well to preserve a record for the town - a history; its own, however limited, however uninteresting to the stranger, however simple its details. The old log house that the family inhabited for so many years has an interest that cannot be told, but may be suggested. Many a son and grandson living upon the farm where the ancestor toiled and labored early and late finds in a name the text of many a train of recollections. The old orchard, planted by a father's band, yearly adds its store of wealth to the son. The often-plowed field is the same where he uprooted the decaying stump and dug the annoying stone. The log school-house is not, but its mention recalls those who were pupils there and perhaps a loved and respected teacher. At the church, briefly described this and that one learned to walk in the "True Light," and in the mention of improvements the energy of the men who established the prosperity of the town is called to notice.
Up to 1802 Marion formed an integral part of the town of Sodus; but in that year the tract comprising Marion, Walworth, Ontario, and Williamson was formed into a town, and known as Williamson. In 1825, April 18, the town of Winchester was formed, and the name was changed to Marion on April 15 1826. It is an interior town, lying west of the centre of the county; it is nearly square, and embraces an area of seventeen thousand three hundred and ninety-one acres The surface is broken by an almost continuous succession of drift-hills and ridges rising to a moderate height and separated by fertile valleys. The soil is a gravelly calcareous loam and drift. The northern part presents a limestone formation A sulphur spring exists a short distance from the village. It produces a large and constant supply of water, which possesses valuable medical properties, and which in the hands of enterprising men, may be utilized for profit and alleviation of various forms of infirmity. The land is drained almost entirely by Red creek and its tributaries. This stream rises near the north limits of the town and flows south, a little to the east of the centre, into Mud creek.
The difficulties to be overcome by the first settlers of Marion were numerous, peculiar, and trying. After leaving all cherished associations, traversing hundreds of miles in an almost unbroken wilderness, they finally reach the field to be marked by a lifetime of endeavor. It was not to labor that rest should be possible but a toil which should continue until waning strength restricted further efforts. None but brave, heroic men and women could think of building up a home here in the dense forest and upon the wild drift-hills, between which lay their inseparable accompaniment, the intervening and miasmatical swamps. To traverse this region and to settle it were problems of no easy solution. Were we to look back from our present stage of advancement and over the changes which time has brought about, and upon the roads made passable in this section, we must be convinced that our forefathers gave them a singular location. It was the rule to "get as high as you can"-anything to avoid those dreadful black-ash swamps. In application, the rule given often reached the climax. Roads, so called, ran from hill to hill in an unaccountable zigzag. The first road through the town was the old thoroughfare from Geneva to Canandaigua, through Palmyra and Marion to the upper corners, and in direction and vicinity was the same as that now passing in a northeasterly course from the White or Mason school-house past the Russell estate to East Williamson. The old Sodus road was made by Charles Williamson in 1794. The second road was an enlargement of the Indian trail, or the old "post route" from Canandaigua to Pultneyville. It was a continuation directly north of the Sodus road from Marion upper corners, where the former took a northeasterly direction. Other roads were laid as needed, and worked as numbers grew till the present system became established. Much hard labor was expended in effort at improving the old roads, which were at times almost impassable, and the experience of the teamster in traversing the "mud-hole" and "pulling through" is unrivaled in the tales of the clearing or the harvest-field.
The pioneers of Marion were principally Rhode Islanders, with a few from the adjacent States of Massachusetts and Connecticut. Their inducement was cheap lands, extended in area, and of prospective value The first white man to build a house within the limits of this town was Henry LOVELL, who Came in early in the year 1795, and purchased a large farm now occupied by the south and west portions of Marion village. His log house was built on the village lot now owned by Buckley Newton. Game was abundant, and Lovell was a famous hunter and an excellent marksman. As evidence of both, it is stated that David Sherman once drew in with his oxen full thirty deer which Lovell had killed in one day. A child born this year was the first birth in Marion, and, as it survived but a few weeks, it must have been the first death. A daughter, Betsey, the second child was the second white child born in the town. At this time Daniel and Mrs. Powell were the only neighbors in town, and they took the babe to the knoll back of Lovell's house, and there, beneath the shade of the giant maple, tenderly laid it to rest. This simple and neighborly act constituted the pioneer funeral in the town. Lovell remained here for some time, and the family removed to the west.
We have spoken of the Powells as neighbors. Daniel POWELL, a very charitable kind, and well-to-do man for those times, had moved out from Massachusetts to Palmyra, bringing with him his family, consisting of his wife and eight Children. After a short stay here, he moved to the town of Marion, in the year 1795, and took up the Allen Knapp farm, of one hundred and twenty-six acres. It was then undefined, and untouched by the hand of improvement. In this unbroken forest he came with axe upon his shoulder, and alone began the work of preparing for himself and family a home and support. A log house was constructed, a piece of ground was cleared, so far as felling the trees and burning the brush, and then corn was planted, and, later, wheat was scattered among the logs and stumps upon soil excited by the teeth of the rude and cumbrous drag. He lacked not strength nor manly vigor, as is attested by the clearing of over five hundred acres in the towns of Williamson and Marion. He sold the partially cleared farm in 1816 to David Harding. A son, Jesse, lives in Macedon, aged 73, and a daughter, Mrs. Anna Potter, six months of age when the family came in town, enjoys good health at her home with her son-in-law, R. Harkness, in Williamson. During the same summer, David Sweezey and family came from New Jersey. They had voyaged the entire distance in light boats, which, at the few portages, were carried from stream to stream. Sweezey took up a large farm in the south part of the town, and resided upon it until his demise. It was in possession of heirs for some time, and then, after changing owners many timed rested in the hands of D. F. Luce. The last of the four families which settled in Marion during the year in question was that of Samuel O. Caldwell, from New Jersey. He came by land, with team and wagon, leading their cow behind. Caldwell took up a large farm, and years passed away in the clearing of his fields. At his death a son became its heir, and he remained upon it until recent date. Grandchildren are living. Elizabeth Howell came in with the family of Sweezey, and, during the following winter, married David Sherman. This marriage was the first in Marion. David Sherman, just mentioned, was a native of Rhode Island, and came to East Palmyra from Washington County in 1791. In the fall he returned on foot, and the next winter drove a double yoke of oxen to East Palmyra, where he remained until the year 1796, when he came to Marion at took up the middle one hundred acres of the Caldwell farm, which he sold in an early day to Caldwell. He purchased and cleared up the farm upon which he lived until his decease, when the property passed to his son, Zephaniah, who finds a home for his age with his son Jefferson. In 1795, when nearly every settler along Mud creek was down with fever and ague, Mr. Caldwell went to mill for them all. He drove his ox-teams with his load of grain through the woods to a mill near Geneva. It is authenticated that he drew the first load of goods from Canandaigua to Pultneyville for Charles Williamson, to whom he was introduced as "'a man who could drive two yoke of oxen and a sled over logs two feet high." The trip noted was made in the month of August, with the outfit mentioned when, from the Sodus road, or from Marion upper corners northward, the country was an unbroken wilderness, and from Williamson to the lake was a continuous swamp. The task was successfully performed in six days. He afterwards moved two families from Rhode Island, and one from New Jersey, with his ox-teams.
William B. COGSWELL, from Rhode Island, took up land opposite the Witherden place, where he remained a few years, and took up the land now occupied by his son, W. Cogswell. As an illustration of the many trials which the pioneer had to meet, it is told of Cogswell that his tax of two dollars and a half was due, and, although he had grain and stock in abundance, he could sell nothing for money, and cash only would pay his tax. He loaded a wagon with oats, drove to Geneva, and found no one to buy there. Finding two men seeking land, he took them home with him, gave them board for a week, went out each day of the time to aid in locating farms with his team, and finally charged each of them one dollar and twenty-five cents, which furnished the two dollars and fifty cents which paid the tax.
Robert SPRINGER came into Marion from Rhode Island in the summer of the year, and effected a small clearing, after which lie returned to the east. The next year he returned with his family, including his sons, ISAAC, Richard, Robert, Samuel, and Israel. His settlement was made upon the farm now occupied by J. A. Shaw, but he soon removed to the John Copping farm, which then extended to the main road. There he built his house on the village lot now owned by Z. Howell. The family were destitute, and depended largely on the bounty of their kind neighbors. All are deceased. Reuben Adams and his son, Reuben, from Rhode Island, purchased the land at present occupied by A. Turner, and, until recently, held by heirs of the family.
We continue our record by brief mention of those who settled during 1797, 1798, and 1799. Luke PHELPS and Harris COOLEY, from Massachusetts, settled on the W. Lookup farm. The former of these was a man of character and influence, the first supervisor of the town of Williamson, and was highly esteemed. Two sons, Jared and Ezra, became active in public affairs, and attained local prominence. The latter took up the Phelps farm. He was the town surveyor, and ran most of the old lines. Served as highway commissioner, and laid out most of the roads. His son, Deacon Ezra Phelps, living, and well advanced in years, owns the homestead. David and William Harding, from Rhode Island, were the next arrivals. The former took up a large farm, which he soon sold out to Mason. He died in the town. The latter purchased the F. [T] M. Clark farm, whereon his efforts were expended, and where he died. The property was then owned by his son, Abel. Micajah HARDING was the pioneer on the P. D. Green farm. He was a leader in civil and religious matters, and raised a company of sharpshooters, who served in the war of 1812. The "Eddy Ridge" was settled by Seth, David, and William EDDY, all of whom took up large farms, and were well-known, respectable men. Seth was the first deacon of the Baptist church, the first supervisor of the town of Marion, and the captain of a company of drafted men. David was appointed and officiated as side judge. John Harkness, from Massachusetts, took up a farm just back of the Eddy ridge, and known as the Angell farm. After no long time he sold out to Jeremiah Angell, and purchased the property now owned by J. Smith, where he lived a few years, when he sold to Eddy, and bought the farm which he owned till his death, and which is now in possession of his son, Seth E. Harkness. Other sons are Roswell, in Williamson, Leveritt, in Boston, and William, in Marion. A daughter, Mrs. S. Miller, lives in Marion. Zadoc Huggins bought a large tract on the Eddy ridge, which, at his death, came into the possession of Z. Crane, the present owner. He was remembered as the pioneer teacher of singing, and his school combined much profit and more pleasure. Seth Harris, from Rhode Island, took up the B. B. Adams farm, and lost his life by drowning in the lake. John Case was, the pioneer preacher, and expounded the Gospel according to Methodist belief. His location was with a Mr. Austin, on the southeast of the three upper corners. Jesse Harding lived across the road from him. David Mason settled on the Malcolm farm with his sons, John, Benjamin, and Jesse, - the latter a man of worth and talent. The Milliman farm was taken up by Gideon SHERMAN, at whose death it was purchased by Henry BUTLER, who sold it to its present owner, L. MILLIMAN. Two daughters, [of Gideon Sherman] Mary and Mrs. S. [Samuel] Cogswell reside in Marion. The Everard White place was purchased and improved by Zebina Crane, who died in 1820. A daughter, Mrs. Daniel Dean, and a grandson, Zebina, are living in town. Dr. Seth Tucker was physician for the entire town for many years. His first location was a short distance northeast of the upper corners, from whence, after a brief sojourn, he moved to the small farm now owned by C. H. Curtis. Judge Marvin Rich, a prominent man, took up land at the upper corners, where, after many years' residence, he sold to Deacon Smith, and is now a citizen of Rochester. The following-named settled prior to 1812. Stephen Sanford, from Rhode Island, and a life-long resident of Marion. Harvey Riley, Hiram, Peleg, and Rescom, are sons, and Mrs. Van Ostran is a daughter. Wm. and Thomas Correy, from the same state as Sanford, lived and died at Corry Corners, and Stephen Vaughn located upon the Atwood farm. Julius HUTCHINSON was on the Robinson farm. A daughter, Mrs. A. Turner, is living. Joel Hall came from Madison County in 1810. He was endowed by nature with the strength of a giant, and his feats in its exercise were almost marvelous. He was accompanied by his sons, Joel and Amasa, at the time married men. They were the pioneers of the Hall Settlement. Grandsons are now living - Warren upon the homestead, Joseph in Walworth, and Amasa and Leed in Williamson. Wm. Hadsell located upon the Smith Sweezey farm, Abraham Pratt upon the George SWEEZY farm, and Darius PRATT on the place now owned by James Tassell. A son of Abraham, Werson, resided in Williamson, and a daughter, Mrs. Thomas PEER, in Marion.
Eliphalet DEAN, from Washington County, located on the Dean farm, which remained with himself and his heirs until purchased by the present incumbent. Daniel, a son, and Axie, a daughter, are living. Elias DURFEE was a leading townsman, and began making improvements on the farm which still bears his name. He constructed and operated a furnace for quite a number of years. A son, Sidney, lives upon the homestead, and another, George, is in the west. Eponitas Ketchum was the pioneer upon the farm of Chester Sweezey. Thomas CLARK was a resident on the Clark farm till his demise. John, Jeremiah, and F. [T. for Thomas] M. Clark, sheriff of Wayne County, are grandsons. John Smith, from New Jersey, took up the farm now owned by R. K. Warner. Smith died upon the place, and two sons, John and William, are living at an advanced age. James Center took up the M. L. Rogers farm, and sold to the latter, who is present owner, in 1535. Philip Potter, from Rhode Island, made the initial improvements upon the farm now owned by E. Shaw. He died here at the rare and ripe age of ninety-two years. The place was owned by his son, Thomas, until his death, in 1872, when his heirs sold to the present occupant. From a family of ten children, Emery and Elizabeth are the sole survivors. Thomas Young cleared up the farm, which is still in possession of his son, Nelson D. Young, who is at present one of the town's prominent men.
The first annual town meeting of the town of Winchester was held pursuant to an act passed by the legislature in 1825 to divide the town, at the house of Daniel Wilcox, April 4, 1526, and the following officers were elected : Seth Eddy, super-visor; Samuel Moore, town clerk; Isaac R. Sanford, David Eddy, and Thomas Lakey, assessors; Samuel Ball, collector; Samuel Delano and Joseph Caldwell, overseers of poor; Reuben Adams, Peter Eddy, and Benjamin Mason, highway commissioners ; Samuel Ball and Jeremiah Angell, constables ; Joseph Caldwell, Thomas Lakey, and Samuel Moore, commissioners of common schools; and Jesse Mason, Homer Adams, and James Smith, inspectors of common schools.
LIST OF SUPERVISORS AND JUSTICES OF MARION.
DATE SUPERVISORS JUSTICES.
1827 Jesse Mason
1828 Isaac Sanford
1829 Elias Durfee
1830 " " Seth Eddy.
1831 " " Samuel Eddy, Benjamin Durfee.
1832 " " Seth Eddy, Cornelius Putnam.
1833 " " Elisha Wright, Marvin Rich, Lorin Chapin.
1834 William R.Sanford Isaac R. Sanford.
1835 Elias Durfee Benjamin Durfee.
1836 Marvin Rich Amos Turner, Manchester Boyce.
1837 Elias Durfee Alpha H. Dow.
1838 " '' Cornelius Putnam.
1839 Seth Eddy Benjamin Durfee.
1840 " " Peter Boyce Jr.
1841 Ornon Archer Oscar Howell, Earl Wilcox.
1842 " " Cornelius Putnam, Warren Simmons.
1843 " " Zadock Huggins, Eli Smith.
1844 " " Peter Boyce, Justus Hill.
1845 " " Aaron Oyshterbanks.
1846 Peter Boyce Eli Smith, Cornelius Putnam.
1847 " " Emmons Manly
1848 Nelson D.Young Peter Boyce, Nathan Bostwick.
1849 " " Lyman H. Tiffany.
1850 Oscar Howell William C. Austin.
1851 " " John L. Wheeler, Nathan Bostwick.
1852 Nelson D.Young Philo D. Green
I 853 " " Simeon Miller
1854 Isaac A. Clark Elisha R. Wright.
1855 Elias Durfee Marvin Rich, John Schoonmaker.
1856 " " Isaac R. Sanford.
1857 " " Philo D. Green.
1858 " " Henry R. Tabor, Simeon Miller.
1859 " " Alpha H. Dow.
1860 Pardon Durfee Isaac A. Clark,
1861 " " Philo D. Green, John A. Lang.
1862 Ira Lakey Henry R. Tabor
1863 " " Daniel F. Luce
1864 Orville Lewis Isaac A. Clark
1865 " " Isaac A. Clark, Philo D. Green.
1866 Nelson D.Young Henry C. Lay
1867 " " Allen S. Russell, Alvin B. Newton
1868 " " Isaac A. Clark.
1869 " " Philo D. Green.
1870 Dwight Smith Amasa Stanton, Harry J. Clark, Alvin B. Newton
1871 " " Amasa Stanton, Conway W. Young.
1872 " " Darius F. Russell
1873 Charles Tremain Philo D. Green, Henry R. Tabor
1874 Dwight Smith Henry R. Tabor
1875 " " Amasa Stanton
1876 Nelson D.Young Philo D. Green, Parley Hill
EARLY GRAVE-YARDS, ETC.
The first burials were made on the farm owned by Daniel Powell, now the property of A. Knapp; the second burial after Lovell's child was that of William Powell, in 1800; the third was of Anna Powell, and the fourth of Mrs. Daniel Powell. Burials were few, yet the departed not forgotten, and the place where rests their dust is tended in thoughtful care. The next cemetery was established in 1804, at Upper Corners. Many burials were made in that locality ; and a third place for internment was the Marion Cemetery, at present of occasional use.
The first frame building in the town of Marion was put up in 1797, by Daniel Powell. It was an addition to his log house, and was of one story, with one room and in size fifteen by twenty-five feet. This was in use on the place for many years. It was the custom, when means would permit, to make a frame lean-to, as an addition to the usual log house, and ultimately the log portion was removed and the frame used as a wing of a more pretentious dwelling. During the winter of 1825, Richard Sweet, built at Marion a canal-boat, and in the spring drew it with oxen on sleds made for the purpose to the village of Palmyra, and there launched it in the then wonderful Erie Canal. The Road at this period passed over the top of the Phillips hill, and most of the distance the way was simply a wood road. The removal of the boat over required interval of distance was accomplished within two days.
In journeys, clearing, marksmanship, endurance, and in uniform success which concluded every effort, the lives of these and such pioneers may be lightly regarded by the thoughtless, but their character is studied the better we are able to appreciate their efforts and give them credit It seems little to say that settler came from Rhode Island in any year prior to 1812, and, locating a farm, thereon passed his life; but how many are there of the young men of to-day accustomed to the speedy transit of the first trains, would wish to make the tedious winter journey, or bear with patience the semi-savage and arduous life during which the clearings were enlarged, till neighbors' houses became visible, when terror of the Indian was blended with dangers from wild beast, falling tree, treacherous wave, and insidious disease? Whether realized or not, the fact remains that posterity owes, and ever will owe, to the early settlers of Marion and other towns a debt of obligation, whose only discharge, so far as is possible, will be in the preservation through all time of the purity and freedom of the people from turbulence and enervating luxury and the maintenance of free government.
The first school taught in town was in part of a log dwelling situated on or near the village lot now owned by C. C. Potter. The first teacher was James Rogers, who invented the punishment, for whispering, of requiring the pupil to hold a raw potatoe in his mouth. He was succeeded as teacher by Ebenezer Ketchum, and the latter by Asashel Powers, the father of Daniel Powers, of Rochester. Tire first building erected for school purposes was on the Robinson firm, opposite the Peter Snyder orchard it was burned in 1814. There were then built the Mason school-house, near Smith Sweezey's south orchard, on the Sodus road, which than ran in a straight line from C. H. Curtis' to Malcomb's Corners and the Centre school house, near the present residence of B.T. Curtis on Mill Street. The first attempt to give instruction in the higher branches was made by Morris Huggins, about 1838. He taught a select school in the upper room of the old Stone school-house which stood on the site of Joseph Bilby's house. A charter was obtained soon after, and the old academy, now the district school-house, was built in 1839. Ornon Archer was the first principal, and by his energy and skill as an instructor and manager made it a success. After Archer left the school died out, and the Charter was abandoned in 1851. At present there are twelve school-houses within the town limits, and the "Marion collegiate institute.'' The charter for the latter was obtained July 6, 1865, and a room was fitted up over the hardware building, J. N. Sawyer being chosen principal. The school was commenced with about ninety pupils. The board of trustees at the time comprised fourteen member, of whom Rev. Amasa Stanton was president, Nelson D. Young treasurer, and A. H. Dow secretary. In 1856 the present beautiful and commodious building was erected. It was built by subscriptions of the four churches (Baptist, Methodist.- Christian, and Congregational) It is a brick structure, forty-four feet square, three-storied. It has two departments, employing regularly three teachers, and is provided with a library, a gymnasium of approved appliances, and a scientific apparatus, unsurpassed by that of any similar institution of the kind in the state. The school has been kept up under varying fortunes, under the charge of professors C. H. Dann, P.J. Williams, R. T. Spencer, A.S. Russell, G. H. Miner, T. B. Lovell, E. G. Cheesman, W. T. Mills, W. H. Sloan, and J. B. Foster. The present principal. It enjoys a considerable degree of prosperity. The attendance in on an average about eighty. The valuation of school property: building, nine thousand dollars; site, five hundred dollars, including fixtures ; making a total of nine thousand five hundred dollars. There is at present a board of trustees, comprising fifteen members of whom Nelson D. Young is president, H. M. Winslow treasurer, and Sidney Durfee secretary.
This is a quiet and healthy village, free from the allurements and vices of license-granting towns. There have been no licenses in thirty years. It is situated south of the centre of the town, five miles north of the New York Central Railroad station at Palmyra, and six miles south of the Lake Ontario Shore Railroad depot at Williamson.
Previous to 1810 the settlement at the upper corners was in advance of at the lower, and for a number of years was fully equal to it.
The west side of Main street, in Marion village, was taken up by Daniel Lovell and Timothy Smith; each commenced improvements, but neither remained many years. James Galloway owned this land at an early day (1817) and for many years. Subsequently, Timothy Smith built the original of the present hotel; this was kept for many years by Samuel Todd, a major in the war of 1812.
Harris Cooley procured a title to forty acres on the west side, and cleared it up. The willow-tree standing in front of the Methodist Episcopal church, three feet in diameter and proportionately large, was stuck by him for a fence stake.
The primitive tavern was kept by widow Styles, as early as 1800; this supplied the first settlers with the ever indispensable whisky, from a log house which stood on the village lot now owned by Amasa Stanton. She was the "doctor-woman" for the town. In 1807 Isaac Phillips built the pioneer grist-mill, near the site of the present mill. It ran by water-power, and had one run of stone.
James Huggins kept a tavern mid distillery where Van Hee now lives, and Enoch Turner had another tavern and grocery (the pioneer store) at the Frank DeLane place, both at a very early day. A carding-machine was run by Rufus Amsden where Curtis' shop stands a cabinet-shop, by Judge Marvin Rich, where Samuel Smith's blacksmith-shop stands. The first blacksmith-shop was carried on by Harkness Gifford, where F. Kenyon lives. "The ox-mill" was built at the upper corners in 1831, by James Wright and Mr. Wing. The power was obtained from a tread-wheel driven by oxen.
In 1825 there were at the upper corners a physician, Dr. Tucker, a blacksmith- shop, a small cabinet-shop, carried on by Richard Bourne, and about ten houses; and at Marion village a tavern kept by Daniel Wilcox, a store by Archer Galloway the present grist-mill, a saw-mill, an ashery, a distillery, a school, a blacksmith shop, post-office, and eleven houses, seven on the east side of Main street and four on the west side.
The village at present has five hundred population. The Marion Collegiate Institute, five churches (Methodist, Baptist, Congregational, Reformed, and Christian.); a district School; one lawyer, H. H. Taber; four physicians, D. Richards A. Sayres, A. S. Russell, and Dr. Babcock. The postmaster is W. J. Holling. There is one hardware-store, two drug-stores, three dry-goods-stores, a fancy-store, a grocery-store, a jewelry-store, two boot- and shoe-stores, two millinery-shops, three produce-dealers, two meat-markets, two tin-shops, two furnace and machine shops, a grist-mill, a harness- and other shops. A tavern is kept by H. Chapman.
The Marion cemetery is located in the immediate vicinity of the village, and is in every respect most beautifully situated. It contains a park, with shade- and evergreen-trees in variety, and many fine monuments. It is an honor to the place, and an evidence of care and taste,-a characteristic of the citizens.
The population of the town of Marion in 1870 was one thousand nine hundred and sixty-seven, and both has been and is notably peaceful, law-abiding, a faithful in endeavoring to add to the material of prosperity; but when the country has called, they have so answered that they can look back with pride upon their history. In the war of l812-15 the conscription took nearly every able-bodied man. Each went without reluctance. There were more soldiers than families. In 1861, Marion promptly responded to every call, and her quotas were always filled on time. The population of the town in 1875 was two thousand one hundred and forty-two.
The first meetings for religious worship were held in the open air and in the houses and barns of settlers, by Rev. John Case, a Methodist; he simply preached, and made and made no attempt to organize his hearers in any way. Elder Fairbanks Baptist minister, made occasional visits to the town, and preached to the scattered settlers. In 1802, Elder Seba Norton came once in two weeks from Sodus.
THE FIR5T BAPTIST CHURCH OF MARION.
Was organized on February 29, 1804, as the "First Baptist Church of Williamson," by Elder Seba Norton, of Sodus. The following were the constituent members: Rueben and Anna Adams Lake, Luke and Elizabeth Phelps, Micajah Harding, Rebecca and Robert Springer, Betsey Sherman, Sally Teal, Elder Seba Norton and his wife Margaret, David and Abby Harding, Ezra and Phoebe Phelps, Sally Harding, Betsy Adams, David Foster, and Mehitabel Adams. During the twenty years following the services were held regularly at the Mason school-house. The Lord's Supper was first celebrated here on March 10, 1804 by fifteen communicants. The salary paid in 1808 was twenty-five dollars for the year. In the fall of 1829; this society built the first church edifice in town. East Street now includes the site, which was situated about twenty-five yards from the corner. It was a wooden structure, with galleries on three sides. It was used as a place of worship until 1850, when it was converted into a store, and the present church erected. It is forty by seventy-five feet, with full basement and baptistery. It has also a parsonage. The value of church property, twelve thousand dollars. It was dedicated November 25, 1850, by Elder Bennett, from Hamilton. In 1867 extensive repairs were made, and on November 15, of that year the church was rededicated by Rev. T. S. Harrison. The following have been pastors: Elder Seba Norton, Elisha Hutchinson, Benjamin Park, Joshua Kinne, for eight years until 1826; David Carlisle, E. Blakesley, W. I. Crane, H. P. Kenyon, Sears, G. V. Walling, S. T. Griswold, William Frary, M. Forbes, J. W. Osborn, J. M. Ferris, W. H. Sloan, and W. H. Batson, the present pastor.
The membership is two hundred and forty. The whole number of members belonging, or having belonged, to the church is eleven hundred fifty-eight.
The Sunday School was organized at an early day. There are at this time upwards of three hundred pupils, Elder Batson is superintendent.
THE CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH OF MARION.
is connected with the presbytery of Lyons. It was organized as the Congregational church of Williamson, in November, 1808, by Revs. Oliver Ayer and James Hotchkiss. The name was changed, probably by general consent, at the formation of Marion, in 1825.
The following are the names of the eight original members, viz. Luke Phelps, Timothy and Ruth Smith, David Sweezey, Zadock Huggins and Thankful, his wife, Samuel and Sarah Waters. Luke Phelps was the first deacon. Meetings were held in school and private houses until 1831, when a church was built and dedicated the same year. Having undergone extensive repairs in 1850 and in 1866, it is still in use as the place of worship. The value of church property is five thousand dollars.
There was no regular pastor until 1820. In this year Rev. H. H. Powell commenced to serve as such, and remained four years. His successors have been; Jacob Burbank, M. Boyle, D. N. Merritt, Jacob Burbank, Hiram W. Lee, Royal Mann, J. G. L. Haskins, A. S. Hamilton, Royal Mann, H. N. Short, for ten years, Merritt Golly, Dunning and Lily, a few months, Conway W. Young, Ireland, November 1, 1865. Rev. T. A. Spencer is the present pastor. There is a membership of ninety. The whole number of members since organization is about five hundred.
The Sunday-school was organized as early as 1827. The present attendance is from seventy-five to one hundred, and Marion Heslor is superintendent. There is a library in connection with it.
THE CHRISTIAN CHURCH OF MARION
was organized as "The Church of God," Nov. 1, 1820, by Elders David Millard and Joseph Badger, with forty-one members, viz. : A. B. Galloway, Zebina Crane, Amy Simmons, Abraham Peer, Charles Parsons, Nathan Sherman, Southard N. Potter, Joseph Potter, Sarah Booth, James Sawyer, Parmelia Crane, John Potter, D. Springer, Freeman Cobb, Daniel Dean, Rhoda Davenport, Ruth Cogswell, Mary Brockway, Mary Wilcox, John Atwood, Sarah Davenport, Sophia Barton, Sally Brant, William Starkweather, Dorcas Hadsall, Rebecca Parsons, Sophia Adams, Nancy Lake, James Foster, P. Sawyer, Hannah Crane, Jesse Mason, Remember Cogswell, J. W Brockway, Daniel and Hannah Wilcox, Sally Lookup, Calvin Briggs, Ruth Wright, Jerusha Springer, and Phoebe Galloway; agreeing at; the same time to take the Lord Jesus Christ as their only Head, Bishop, Leader, Lord, and Lawgiver, the Scriptures of Truth for their only written rule of faith and practice, and all God's real children for their brethren.
The first church edifice was erected in 1832. It was a stone structure, thirty-six by forty feet, situated at the upper corners. The first sermon in this church was preached by Elder Farley, on September 16, 1832.
The present church edifice was erected in 1856. It is a wooden structure, forty by sixty feet in size, with a stone basement. It has a bell weighing eighteen hundred pounds. It was dedicated in 1857, by Elder John Ross, of Montgomery county. The value of church property is seven thousand dollars. The pastor from 1820 to 1828, inclusive, was Oliver True; 1829 to 1833, Benjamin Farley; 1834 to 1839, Joseph Bailey; 1839 to1844, E. M. Galloway 1844 to 1846, Wm. T. Caton 1847 to 1848, Stephen Mosher; 1848 to 1866, Amasa Stanton ;1866 to 1876, Irving Bullock, the present pastor. There is a membership of one hundred and seventy-seven. During the whole time since organization the whole number of members has been six hundred and twenty-seven. The Sunday-school was organized soon after the church. It has at present one hundred and sixty-five pupils, and Myron H. Grimes is superintendent. There is a library of two hundred and fifty volumes. The church expenses for the nine years past were ten thousand seven hundred and twelve dollars.
THE FIRST METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH OF MARION.
was organized by Rev. Porter McKinster, in 1845. The society at that time consisted of twelve members. They built no church edifice and had no installed pastor until 1854, when Rev. John Dennis reorganized the church, and in 1855 the present building was erected. It is a wooden structure, twenty-eight by forty feet, situated at Marion village. It was dedicated in December, 1855, by Rev. John Dennis. The value of church property, including a parsonage, is four thousand five hundred dollars.
The pastors have been Wm. Mandeville, J. W. Putnam, Robinson McKinster, John Landreth, James S. Lemon, W. W. Runyan, J. Easter, J. B. Knott, John Spinks, J. A. Swallow, W. A. Ely, and C. L. Bown, the present pastor. There is a membership of seventy. The Sunday-school was organized in 1854. The present attendance is sixty. A library exists in connection with it.
THE REFORMED CHURCH OF MARION.
The society was organized in 1860. The church was first legally organized by Rev. J. W. Warnshuis, in 1870, with fifty-six members. The church edifice was built in 1872. It is a wooden structure, forty by seventy-two feet, seating five hundred persons, and is located at Marion village. It was dedicated during the same fall. The valuation of church property is eight thousand dollars. The present membership is three hundred and twenty-five. In the year 1871, J. W. Warnshuis was installed pastor, and continued on the charge until October, 1876; since that time it has been without any regular preacher. The Sunday-school was organized with the church. The attendance is large.
SOLDIERS' RECORD FOR MARION.
Atwell, Oliver H. Enlisted July, 1863 discharged 1865.
Arnold, Lewis, 194th Infantry Enlisted March, 1865; discharged May, 1865.
Andrews, Alvin, 9th Heavy Artillery. Enlisted September, 1863; died April 3, 1864.
Adams, Joseph N. Discharged 1865
Atwood, Seth L. Discharged 1865
Allen, Asa, 160th Infantry Enlisted August, 1862; died August 14, 1864.
Allen, Elisha, 111th Infantry Enlisted July, 1862; killed at Gettysburg.
Adams, N. A., 160th Infantry Enlisted August, 1862; promoted to corporal; disch. 1865.
Arnold, John, 160th Infantry. Enlisted October, 1862; discharged 1865.
Allen, E., Company A, 111th Infantry.
Adams, John, Company A, lllth Infantry.
Adams, Reuben A., 160th Infantry.
Arnold, William H.
Brewster, Eugene H.
Barrett, John H. Discharged 1868.
Brown, Gilbert, 9th Heavy Artillery. Enlisted December, 1863 ; discharged 1865.
Brown, William H., 2nd heavy Artillery. Enlisted October, 1864; died October 12, 1864.
Bennett, Charles, 160th Infantry. Enlisted August, 1862; discharged 1865.
Brown, Alfred. Discharged 1865.
Bigelow, Charles, 111th Infantry. Enlisted March, 1864; deserted.
Burrod, John B., captain, 160th Infantry. Enlisted August, 1862; discharged 1865.
Brayman, James E., Navy. Enlisted August, 1864; discharged 1865.
Bull, Albert H., 9th Heavy Artillery. Enlisted December, 1863; discharged 1865.
Bailey, William J., 8th Cavalry. Enlisted September, 1861; discharged September, 1864.
Brightman, Ezra, Company A, 111th Infantry.
Bement, Charles, 160th Infantry.
Brown, George, Company E, 111th Infantry.
Burrod, William G., Company E, 111th Infantry.
Beelard, Frank, Company E, 111th Infantry.
Croucher, William, 98th Infantry. Enlisted July, 1862; discharged 1062.
Case, John A., 160th Infantry. Enlisted August, 1362; pro. corporal; discharged 1064.
Cooper, Canton B., 104th Infantry. Enlisted April, 1865; discharged July, 1665.
Cooper, James B., assistant surgeon, Wisconsin regiment. Discharged 1865.
Copping, John W., 160th Infantry. Enlisted August, 1862 ; pro. to corp.; discharged 1865.
Curtis, Brainard, 160th Infantry.
Class, B. R., 160th Infantry.
Curtis, William B., 50th Engineers. Enlisted August, 1861 ; discharged.
Croucher, Isaac, Jr., 194th Infantry. Enlisted March, 1865; discharged 1865.
Congdon, Lyman A., 194th Infantry.
Contant, Adrian, Company D, 111th Infantry. [Although listed here, he was actually from Williamson, and never even enlisted in Marion. He may have been WIA in Gettysburg.(George Contant)]
Cray, Daniel A., Company E, 111th Infantry.
Dunn, Allen, 17th Infantry. Enlisted May, 1861; re-enlisted in 10th Cavalry; disch. 1865.
Durfee, Gideon, Company A, 111th Infantry. Enlisted July, 1862; discharged l865.
Davis, William, 8th Cavalry. Enlisted September, 1861; discharged October, 1863.
Deuce, Albert A, 9th Heavy Artillery. Enlisted May, 1863; promoted; discharged 1865.
Deuce, Leroy P., 9th Heavy Artillery. Enlisted December, 1863; discharged 1865.
Durfee, Sydney F., Navy. Discharged 1865.
Dean, Charles L., Enlisted July, 1863 ; discharged 1865.
Everett, James, Company C, 8th Cavalry. Enlisted October, 1861; discharged Dec.,1864.
Everett, Washington, 33d Infantry. Enlisted May, 1861; discharged May, 1863; wounded.
Eldridge, W. G., Company A, 111th Infantry.
Emerson, L., Company E, 111th Infantry.
Farnsworth, Edward. killed at Bull Run.
Farnsworth, William, 98th Infantry. Died July 25, 1864.
Ferguson, R. E., Navy. Discharged 1865.
Field, Henry D., 160th Infantry. Enlisted August, 1862; discharged September, 1864.
Fillmore, John H., Illinois regiment. Enlisted May, 1861; pro. to lieutenant; disch. 1863.
Fillmore, William R., Company C, 8th Cav. Enl'd Sept., 1861; pro. to corp.; disch. Sept., 1864.
French, Lorenzo G., 160th Infantry.
Fletcher, Charles P., 160th Infantry.
Fillmore, Charles W., 168th Infantry.
Goodwin, William T., 111th Infantry. Enlisted February, 1863; discharged 1865.
Goodwin, Frederick, 160th Infantry. Enlisted August, 1862; discharged 1885.
Geer, John, 98th Infantry. Enlisted October, 1861 ; pro. to corporal; discharged 1864.
Geer, Charles, 33rd Infantry. Enlisted May, 1861; promoted to corporal; discharged.
Ganz, Henry A., 160th Infantry. Enlisted August, 1862; pro. to sergeant; discharged 1865.
Geer, Thomas, Company A, 111th Infantry. [Corporal; Enlisted July 1862 with Judson Hicks and others from Marion. Promoted to Sgt., 1864; discharged]
Henion, Oliver P., 160th Inf. Enlisted May, 1864; pro. to corp.; died in prison May 6, 1864.
Hill, Frank B. Died December 28, 1863.
Howard, Henry N., 99th Infantry. Died October, 1864.
Hill, William J., 160th Infantry. Enlisted August, 1862 ; died February 12, 1864.
Howell, Gideon, 50th Engineers. Enlisted October, 1861 ; pro. sgt.; discharged 1865. [Brother-in-law- of George N. Sherman.]
Hathaway, Washington, 160th Infantry. Enlisted August, 1862; promoted; discharged 1865.
Hathaway, Isaac R., 160th Infantry. Enlisted January, 1863; discharged 1865.
Hosmer, Martin J. Enlisted August, 1864.
Howell, Vernon H., 9th Heavy Art. Enlisted February, 1864; discharged 1865; wounded.
Hicks, Judson, Company A, 111th Infantry. [Color Sgt.; Enlisted July, 1862; Killed July 2, 1863 at Gettysburg while carrying the regimental colors. (flags)]
Holling, W. G., Company A, 111th Infantry.
Hards, Arthur, 160th Infantry.
Harris, Wm. R., Company E, 111th Infantry.
Jaques, Irving P., 111th Infantry.
Knapp, Harrison H., corporal, Company A, 111th Inf. Enlisted July, 1862; discharged 1865.
Knapp, Benj. L. Enlisted July, 1863; discharged 1865.
Kellogg, Milo B., 17th Infantry. Enlisted September, 1861; promoted; discharged 1865.
Kellogg, Norton P., 98th Inf. Enlisted Sept., 1861; promoted lst leut.; discharged 1865.
Kellogg, Lewis F., 160th Infantry. Enlisted August, 1862; discharged 1865.
Ken[y]on, George, [Corp] Co. A, 111th Infantry. Enlisted July, 1862; promoted; killed at Petersburg.
Ken[y]on, Friend, 180th Infantry.
Le Roy, Isaac, 9th Heavy Artillery. Enlisted September, 1862; discharged 1865.
Lounsberry, Lee, 98th Infantry. Enlisted October, 1861; killed at Cold harbor.
Lyon, Wm. H., 98th Infantry. Enlisted September, 1864; died in rebel prison.
Luce, Jefferson, 160th Infantry. Enlisted August, 1862; promoted sergeant; discharged 1865.
Laing, John S., 2d lieut., Co. E, 111th Inf. Enlisted Aug., 1862; pro. lst leut.; disch. 1865.
Loveloy, Daniel F.
Lovejoy, Wm. E.
Le Buff, Frank, 160th Infantry.
Le Buff, Joseph.
McBowen, Edwin, 9th Heavy Artillery. Enlisted September, 1864; discharged 1865.
Musselman, Geo. F., 9th Heavy Artillery. Enlisted January, 1864; discharged 1865.
Mackel, Henry, 98th Infantry.
Mott, Gilbert, 2d Mounted Rifles. Enlisted December, 1863; discharged 1865.
McOmber, Israel, 98th Infantry. Enlisted November, 1861; died February 28, 1863.
McOmber, Amos, sergeant, 180th Infantry. Enlisted December, 1863; killed at Winchester.
Munson, Chas. H., 9th Heavy Artillery. Enlisted December, 1863; killed at Wilderness.
Miller, W. H., Company A, 111th Infantry.
Novess, Abner, 17th Infantry. Enlisted May, 1861; discharged.
Norton, Wm. H. 98th Infantry. Enlisted May 1862; died May 11, 1862.
Newton, Alvin B.
Newton, J. A. Company A, 111th Infantry
Ostrand, Frederick. Enlisted July 1863
Patterson, James N. 9th Heavy Artillery. Enlisted August, 1862 ; discharged 1865.
Pratt, E. B.
Parks, Rueben B. 111th Infantry. Enlisted September, 1864; discharged 1865.
Parks. Edgar, 111th Infantry. Enlisted September, 1864; discharged 1865.
Potter, Orvis, navy. Enlisted 1864; discharged 1865.
Potter, Charles C., 188th Inf. Enlisted August, 1862; discharged October, 1864, wounded.
Percy, E. A., Company A, 111th Infantry.
Patterson, Wm., Company A, 111th Infantry.
Parker, Anion, Company E, 111th Infantry.
Quigley, James, 160th Infantry.
Reeves, H. P.
Russell, Edwin M., 98th Infantry. Enlisted October, 1861; promoted 2d lieut.; disch. 1863;
Russell, Whitney B.
Radder, Charles, 160th Inf. Enlisted August, 1862; promoted sergt.; killed April 9, 1864.
Rice, Harrison S., 111th Inf. Enlisted February, 1864; promoted corporal; discharged 1865.
Ratliff, James, 9th Cavalry. Enlisted March, 1865; discharged 1865.
Reeves, Stephen, 9th Heavy Artillery. Enlisted August, 1882 discharged 1865.
Reeves, Joseph C., Company C, 8th Cav. Enlisted September, 1861; pro. sergt.; disch. 1865.
Randall, Nathan. Enlisted August, 1863; discharged 1865.
Ratliff, Wm., 194th Infantry. Enlisted March, 1865; discharged.
Rathbun, Charles J., Company E, 111th Infantry. Enlisted August, 1862; discharged 1865.
Shaw, Frederick, Navy. Enlisted August, 1864; discharged 1865.
Sherwood, James, Navy. Enlisted August, 1864; discharged 1865.
Short, Albert B, 97th Infantry. Discharged 1865.
Smith, Chester B., 194th Infantry. Enlisted November, 1864; disch. Jan, 1865, disability.
Smith, Gideon C.
See, Peter, 111th Infantry. Enlisted July, 1862; discharged May, 1868.
Sherman, George. N., [Co. A] 111th Infantry. [Pvt.,] Enlisted July , 1862; discharged 1865. [Wounded at Gettysburg July 2, 1863.]
Starks, Geo., 160th Infantry. Enlisted October, 1864; discharged 1865.
Spooner, Lewis H., Regular Infantry. Enlisted June, 1861; discharged June, 1865.
Spooner, Geo. W., 98th Infantry. Enlisted November, 1861; discharged November, 1864.
Skinner, Byron J., 9th Heavy Artillery. Enlisted December, 1863; discharged 1865.
Simmons, Alonzo H., 98th Inf. Enlisted November, 1861; discharged 1862, disability.
Soper, John H., 9th Heavy Artillery. Discharged 1865.
Soper, Sylvester. Enlisted August, 1861; discharged September, 1863.
Sarner, Lawrence, Company A, 111th Infantry.
Sweezey, George W., Company A, 111th Infantry.
Sweezey, Chester, Company A, 111th Infantry.
See, Truman, 160th Infantry.
Stiggins, Thomas, 160th Infantry.
Smith, George W., Company E, 111th Infantry.
Skinner, Samuel E., 98th Infantry. Enlisted November, 1861 discharged 1865.
Trumbull, Charles H., 9th Heavy Artillery. Enlisted December, 1868 ; discharged 1865.
Taylor, J. E., Company A, 111th Infantry.
Vaughn, James B.
Van Dervear, Henry E.
Vaughn, V., corporal, 160th Infantry. Enlisted August, 1862; killed April 9, 1864.
Vanhee, Adrian, 9th Heavy Artillery. Enlisted June, 1864.
Wilcox, Myron S., 104th Infantry. Enlisted August, 1864; killed at Petersburg.
White, Alfred T., 1st Artillery. Enlisted September, 1864; discharged 1865.
White, Alvin, 1st Artillery. Enlisted September, 1862; discharged 1865.
Williams, Alvin D, 98th Infantry. Enlisted Oct., 1861; promoted to sergeant; disch. 1865
Williams, Francis A., 121st Infantry. Enlisted March, 1865; discharged 1865.
West, James, Company A, 111th Infantry. Enlisted July, 1862; promoted; discharged 1863.
Wood, Charles, 194th Infantry. Discharged 1865.
Wood, George, 194th Infantry. Discharged 1865.
Wallace, A., Company A, 111th Infantry.
Welch, Morris, Company A, 111th Infantry.
Young, Thomas H.
Young, Oliver B.
Young, John N., 160th Infantry.
Each Bee was a Bullet, by George Contant. Dover, DE:Grand Army Historic Publications, 1998. (Judson Hicks and Thomas Geer)
Going To Palmyra; Sherman Deeds, by Margaret Sherman Lutzvick.Baltimore, MD: Gateway Press, 1997. (George N. Sherman)
Return to Town of Marion Section
Volunteer typist: Margaret Sherman Lutzvick
Source of the above article: History of Wayne County, NY, 1789-1877, by Everts, Ensign, & Everts. 1877. pgs., 122-126. Press of J. B. Lippencott & Co. Philadelphia, PA. Reproduced 1975. Professor W. H. McIntosh. Dendron Press. Yankee Peddler Bookshop. Pultneyville, NY.