ROE COBBLESTONE SCHOOL
TOWN of BUTLER
WAYNE COUNTY, NY
Click on picture for larger scrolling view.
Daniel, Nabby Tucker Roe, and their 11 children came to the present Town
of Butler in 1813 from Litchfield, CT. On their property, the Roe
Cobblestone School was built by 1824, and perhaps earlier. It is one of
the earliest cobblestone buildings in North America. Fieldstones were
used for the construction. They are larger and rougher than the smaller,
smooth, lake stones used in later cobblestones. The school was used for
early Methodist church services, as well as a school, until
centralization took place circa 1935. At least 90% of the cobblestone
buildings in North America were built within a 75 mile radius of Rochester, NY.
Butler Historical Preservation Society is collecting information on the ROE family and
the school house.
This is just one of the over 100 photos of Town of Butler historic buildings and families
that are available on a CD from Butler Historical Preservation Society.
Back to Town of Butler Section
Copyright © 2005 - 2011 Leola Crane Sutton
Wayne County NYGenWeb
A County Site of the USGenWeb Project
All Rights Reserved.